College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
If both teams were in prime position, tonight's match would be much more intriguing. But really, tonight's match with #5 Louisville at Houston isn't all that intriguing after Houston almost basically mailed in the season with losses at Navy and at SMU. We'll see what happens as my beloved Houston Cougars will take on their former Conference USA foes from Louisville.

Good luck to all of your teams this week and this weekend.

@JohnBM01 I hope you're watching your Cougars, 'cause they just pulled off three straight "How the hell" plays.

Progress: 36-10 U of H, about 1:30. Houston D isn't letting Louisville get much of anything. Still.

Last edited:
TRUE STORY- I haven't followed this game at all... until I saw in my Facebook feed that the Houston Cougars were just whooping Cardinal arse. When I checked, it was 39-10 (or something) with about 9 minutes left in the 4th Quarter. Here I was thinking, "yep. UH's going to get their butts handed to." When... it's the other way around. So no... I haven't been watching my Cougars. I SURELY want to see a replay/re-air of this one!

We... won? University of Houston fans, rejoice! Why? Because DOWN GOES LOUISVILLE! The Houston Cougars won 36-10 over former Conference USA foe and #5 ranked Louisville. I honestly didn't see the game because I thought UH basically mailed in the season considering losses at Navy and at SMU. Turns out, it was a VERY happy day for UH fans... not so much for UL fans. I read UH sacked Lamar Jackson 11 times. In other words... UH dominated.

So, uh... whose house? Coogs house! Now if you'll excuse me, *happy dance*

Oh, and congratulations to any and all other winners from this week's games. Better luck next time to those who failed.

We know Louisville will fall from grace after failing hard at my Houston Cougars. Will more chaos follow? Enjoy this penultimate Saturday of the regular season.

Good luck to all of favorite team(s).

Joe Thomas Sr., the 55-year-old father of Green Bay Packers LB Joe Thomas Jr, played running back for South Carolina State during their game with Savannah State today. He enrolled at South Carolina State to pursue an engineering degree four years ago after his construction company was wiped out by the recession. He was on the scout team until todays game.

In bowl game news Playstation is the new sponsor of the Fiesta Bowl.

PlayStation_Fiesta_Bowl.jpg

In bowl game news Playstation is the new sponsor of the Fiesta Bowl.

View attachment 608058
I wonder if that mean that the Hail Mary will be the only play called in the game. :P

Michigan looked really shaky today, but so did Ohio State as well. 20-10 win for Michigan and a 17-16 win for Ohio State. The Michigan State Spartans (who lost to the Buckeyes today) have actually looked good lately and could really play the spoiler in the conference if they beat Penn State. If Penn State wins and Michigan loses, Penn State goes to the conference championship game. If Penn State Loses and Ohio State wins, Ohio State goes to the championship game. Though I still think Michigan will lose to Ohio State at this moment.

Western Michigan blew out Buffalo 38-0. They remain undefeated.

Meanwhile, in Lawrence, KS...

Yes. That happened. What happened, you ask?

KANSAS WINS!

There were reports that boosters wanted to have Charlie Strong removed at Texas head coach. After Texas' latest fail at Kansas, that already hot seat had some extra flames on it. Kansas has never beaten Texas in football since 1938. Some of our grandparents probably were born the last time Kansas beat Texas. A number of losing streaks for the Kansas Jayhawks were snapped after this win. As for Texas, the big aspect of their loss was all the turnovers Texas had.

Now for some more musings...

* Besides the Texas at Kansas game, next week's Michigan at Ohio State game may well be an elimination game as far as the College Football Playoff is concerned. Michigan/Ohio State is ALWAYS a big deal no matter what sport or competition is involved. Next Saturday at Noon EST. Ohio Stadium. Be there or be square.

* Michigan State had a chance to knock off Ohio State. I applaud them going for two after hitting pay dirt, but it would have been smarter to kick for an Extra Point. Ohio State held on for a 17-16 victory. Michigan didn't have an easy-peasy game themselves hosting Indiana. Former U. of Houston QB John O'Korn wasn't exactly on point for most of the game. The Wolverines still did a great job holding down the boys from Bloomington, IN.

* The Oregon Ducks stunned the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City with a late touchdown. The Quack Attack pulls through with a 30-28 victory.

* One of the teams I cheer on in NCAA FCS is Sam Houston State. It was a happy day for the Bearkats winning 59-23 against the visiting Bears of Central Arkansas.

* So North Dakota State and South Dakota tussled today. NDSU won 28-21 at the South Dakota Coyotes.

* Rutgers may stink, but Blitz24's other team, the Fordham Rams, did good today at Bucknell. The Bison were defeated 36-22 by the Fordham Rams.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

O'Korn looked like he was beginning to settle in after he had that big run. I thought it was funny when the sideline reporter in the game started making snow angels once it really started to snow at the end. I'm also laughing at some of the people who are whining on Facebook about how "The Game" is too early for them. It's always been at noon and I'm glad that (as of this post) it'll be staying at noon.

Rutgers should consider giving their players PEDs at this point. Having the program fold cannot be worse than this. Even cheating and losing but scoring cannot be worse than this.

THIS JUST IN...

Bye bye, Charlie Strong. Texas decided to let go to Coach Charlie Strong. The Texas Longhorns failed at Kansas in Overtime. I guess UT-Austin decided they've had enough of C. Strong, so he's going to be canned. I have to wonder who would take over for him... even if (and I am not suggesting it will happen) Mack Brown wants to return to the U. of Texas. There were even boosters who suggested Charlie Strong be fired and replaced by U. of Houston coach Tom Herman.

So... anyone want a new head coach? Charlie Strong's on the college football coaching market!

THIS JUST IN...

Bye bye, Charlie Strong. Texas decided to let go to Coach Charlie Strong. The Texas Longhorns failed at Kansas in Overtime. I guess UT-Austin decided they've had enough of C. Strong, so he's going to be canned. I have to wonder who would take over for him... even if (and I am not suggesting it will happen) Mack Brown wants to return to the U. of Texas. There were even boosters who suggested Charlie Strong be fired and replaced by U. of Houston coach Tom Herman.

So... anyone want a new head coach? Charlie Strong's on the college football coaching market!
Hold on there Jethro. UT is about as good at handling this coaching stuff as I am chainsaws. Strong is NOT out, he has the locker room it seems, it's only the bottom-line big-dollar boosters who are, and they need to STFU and BTFO. Last thing any team needs is 70 Jerry Jones wannabes trying to run the program. I don't know why Tom Herman would WANT the Longhorn job, unreasonable expectations every year, boosters peering over your shoulder all the time, some ready to stab you in the back the moment you don't exude a God complex, and now you have to out-recruit every school in the dying Big XII AND the invading SEC due to A&M. They say being president leeches years off your life, I don't know how Mack Brown isn't a zombie.

I recall how UT was in a bad way behind the scenes when Strong arrived, and while no the record isn't great, UT could have been where Baylor is, or worse. I hope he gets a good job at a school willing to let him work.

Hold on there Jethro. UT is about as good at handling this coaching stuff as I am chainsaws. Strong is NOT out, he has the locker room it seems, it's only the bottom-line big-dollar boosters who are, and they need to STFU and BTFO. Last thing any team needs is 70 Jerry Jones wannabes trying to run the program. I don't know why Tom Herman would WANT the Longhorn job, unreasonable expectations every year, boosters peering over your shoulder all the time, some ready to stab you in the back the moment you don't exude a God complex, and now you have to out-recruit every school in the dying Big XII AND the invading SEC due to A&M. They say being president leeches years off your life, I don't know how Mack Brown isn't a zombie.

I recall how UT was in a bad way behind the scenes when Strong arrived, and while no the record isn't great, UT could have been where Baylor is, or worse. I hope he gets a good job at a school willing to let him work.

Unfortunately boosters believe that their donations are investments, not gifts, and they think that they are entitled to some power in the AD's office. When you couple that with today's "gotta win now" mentality where coaches now get 2-3 years to win or they're seat becomes white hot instead of the 5-6 years where they could fully implement their system and get their kind of players.

I think Texas's recent "struggles" can be attributed to a few things:

1. Just about every "elite" program in college football has had stretches where they have had down years (5-7, 6-6, etc). Tennessee is just coming off their worst 5 year run in 120+ years of playing football, Alabama in the early 2000s had seasons where they were 3-8 and 4-9, Michigan had the Rich Rod and Brady Hoke years, etc.

2. The pressure to win at a place like Texas is a lot greater than it is at Louisville.

3. I really think that the Texas administration greatly underestimated how much of a boost going to the SEC would give Texas A&M. I've followed recruiting for a long time and even though everyone recruits the state of Texas very hard, you realistically could always pencil in that most of the elite recruits were going to sign with Texas. When A&M joined the best and biggest conference in college football the recruits took notice.

You can also group TCU joining the Big 12 and the job Tom Herman has done at Houston in with the rise of A&M.

Tom Herman is going to get to name his price and pick what ever job he wants. It appears that at least LSU and Texas are going to be open, and I read an article on ESPN that Oregon and Notre Dame could become open as well and that even Texas A&M might fire Kevin Sumlin just so they can have a shot at Herman.

Personally I would like to see him stay at Houston, I think at the very minimum he could be college footballs equivalent of Mark Few at Gonzaga, but if he can recruit well enough they would have a very nice road to the playoffs every year.

Its funny how things can look bleak and a day later things look much better. Saturday afternoon us Tennessee fans were upset about losing the SEC East, but now we aew happy that if we can win Saturday against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium West (that what we refer to Vanderbilt Stadium as), and a couple other results go our way we could end up in the Sugar Bowl.

Unfortunately boosters believe that their donations are investments, not gifts, and they think that they are entitled to some power in the AD's office.
Yeah, I got something there entitled to, gettin' a size 10 1/2 boot lodged where they wont forget it.

Other than that, you're 100% right.

Unfortunately boosters believe that their donations are investments, not gifts, and they think that they are entitled to some power in the AD's office. When you couple that with today's "gotta win now" mentality where coaches now get 2-3 years to win or they're seat becomes white hot instead of the 5-6 years where they could fully implement their system and get their kind of players.

Absolutely this. The win now era of sports in all levels has really made it hard for people to actually establish a system as you mentioned. Come to think of it, even in basketball, Coach K's first two seasons with the Duke basketball team would get him fired as a coach with the back to back losing seasons he started with in today's world.

As much as I tend to disagree with Paul Finebaum, he is right when he says that LSU and Texas two of the worst jobs around with the unrealistic expectations placed upon coaches at both schools from the boosters.

Last edited:
Absolutely this. The win now era of sports in all levels has really made it hard for people to actually establish a system as you mentioned. Come to think of it, even in basketball, Coach K's first two seasons with the Duke basketball team would get him fired as a coach with the back to back losing seasons he started with as a coach in today's world.

As much as I tend to disagree with Paul Finebaum, he is right when he says that LSU and Texas two of the worst jobs around with the unrealistic expectations placed upon coaches at both schools from the boosters.

Exactly, and I didn't even go into the fanbases which sometimes have expectations that can be so crazy that they make the ones the boosters have seem sane.

This is perhaps the best time of year for college football fans, as this is essentially Rivalry Week. Most of the big rivalry games take place this week. None bigger than Michigan at Ohio State. This year's rivalry is basically an elimination game as far as the College Football Playoff (the latest rankings will come later tonight) is concerned. Michigan or Ohio State could be finished in the CFP discussion based on whomever loses this game this Saturday in Columbus, OH.

It should be another fine week of action. Even more so since more rivalry games will be played. So go enjoy some college football this week.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Sanctions against Notre Dame from their 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons have put this team in a bit of trouble. They have to vacate some of their wins from those seasons. More info courtesy of Yahoo! Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/with-p...es-brian-kelly-is-on-the-clock-193153403.html

Let's look at the latest College Football Playoff rankings released earlier tonight. This is the latest Top 4 and First 2 Out:

--- Top 4: Nov. 22, 2016 ---
01: Alabama
02: Ohio State
03: Michigan
04: Clemson

--- First 2 Out: Nov. 22, 2016 ---
05: Washington
06: Wisconsin

Alright, folks. Time for you to rave or rant the latest rankings. So sound off!

There's plenty of football to go around today. If you don't feel like being out on Black Friday, consider spending it in front of the TV to watch football.

My Houston Cougars unfortunately failed today. UH was ranked 20th after their demolition of Louisville. The Coogs, though, couldn't parlay that with a win at Memphis. The Tigers won on a late touchdown drive. Can't win'em all.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

THIS JUST IN...

Reports indicate Ed Orgereon is no longer the interim head coach of Louisiana State, but is now promoted to head coach of LSU. So it looks like he'll be the new coach to try to turn around LSU's misfortunes.

There were also reports that Charlie Strong was officially fired as head coach of Texas. The Longhorns finished 5-7 on the season and got thumped 31-9 at home to TCU yesterday. We'll have to see who will try to reverse the misfortunes of Texas- one of the most successful teams in college football history.

Lot of games today, especially rivalry games. While not the same level of importance, today is almost basically a College Football Playoff match for #3 Michigan at #2 Ohio State. The loser of this one is basically done in the CFP. You really can't ask for a better match between two universities that never liked each other for decades. Two proud universities with all kinds of famous alums in sports and non-sports arenas. Buckle up, baby. You're going for a ride.

Could I hype up today any better? Anyhow, enjoy some college football. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

[UPDATE: LATE BREAKING] According to ESPN's Heather Dinich, Texas will reportedly hire Houston coach Tom Hernan to be the new coach of the University of Texas. Hernan will be going from coaching his Houston Cougars to a 9-3 regular season record to go to the Texas Longhorns that finished the season 5-7. All the best to Tom Hernan at UT-Austin if this all stands. I just wonder who Houston will pick up to replace Tom Hernan.

Last edited:
I really don't think he'll do it, but if Tom Herman goes to UT, I think he's the biggest idiot on the planet.
In other news, I'm recording this Michigan/Ohio State game. May be one of the best on record. And for the record, I think Michigan is going to pull off the win.

As fast as the deal got done, I wonder if they had an agreement worked out for a while and that the LSU leak Thursday was from his agent trying to get more money out of Texas.

Go B1G or go home. Once again, Michigan and Ohio State hook up. Crazy is that I heard it was the first-ever Overtime match between these two long time rivals. It was Ohio State who knocked off Michigan 30-27 in Double Overtime. So Michigan may likely be done Playoff-wise. If Penn State defeats Michigan State, Penn State will go to the Big Ten Championship Game.

A late score by the University of Kentucky put them ahead of their rivals at Louisville to upset #11 Louisville. Congratulations to the boys from Lexington, KY.

If there are any other musings or updates I want to share, I'll be back to post them here.

[OMISSION] It was a 41-38 victory for Kentucky at Louisville.

I didn't watch because I was in a car all day, but damn- that is one that I wish I got to actually see. Not shamed to say that Michigan lost since I said multiple times that the team from the south would win, but man, I'm sure that The Game must have been a hit for the ratings.

Good to see Coach O get the gig. From what the press said, the players at LSU love him already, so keeping him was a good move. I'm curious to see how Tom Herman does in Austin. He did good for the Cougars, but the Longhorn faithful are some of the hardest to please in the country.

Also, @Jordan is probably a happy man today. On another note related to that game, RIP Louisville's playoff chances. That will really hurt them with the committee.

As of this post, Penn State has the lead over Michigan State. If they hold on and win, it'll throw a real monkey wrench into the B1G as IIRC they win the division due to having the tiebreaker with Ohio State.

I really don't think he'll do it, but if Tom Herman goes to UT, I think he's the biggest idiot on the planet.
In other news, I'm recording this Michigan/Ohio State game. May be one of the best on record. And for the record, I think Michigan is going to pull off the win.
Well I obviously don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just abstain from talking from now on. Herman has been full of lies this entire season.

I think if the University of Houston didn't have all this heat on where Tom Herman would end up, UH probably would have won more games. UH's worst loss (hands down) was at SMU. The Cougars just simply got outplayed at Navy and just lost late at Memphis. Otherwise, we'd probably make that case to be among the College Football Playoff teams. I'm still proud of UH as I usually am. This season just could have been so much more. I think the person to replace Tom Herman on an interim basis is a fellow named Todd Orlando, who I think is the offensive coordinator or something.

Congratulations to Penn State winning their division of the Big Ten. As for the Michigan at Ohio State game, I mostly saw the first half and then parts of the second half as I was out with my mother.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

The Bayou Classic ends up being a 52-30 rout courtesy of Grambling State over Southern. Whomever wins this match between these HBCUs (historically-black colleges and universities) will win their division of the SWAC conference. The game was played in New Orleans. Both are Louisiana schools.

Last edited:
Well I obviously don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just abstain from talking from now on. Herman has been full of lies this entire season.
Isn't that every coach caught in the coaching carousel when mentioned for a hallmark college job though? Coaches rarely ever say that they're taking a job before taking it if they still have a game or to left as a coach at their current job. I mean, yeah it would have been nice if he did say outright that he was leaving, but that probably would have made it an even bigger media circus than it already is given that he's one of the biggest names out there.

Back