College Football: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 147 comments
Speight scored more points for Florida than Florida scored for Florida. It easily could have been a different game on several accounts given both the suspensions from the Gators and the Turnovers that Michigan in particular gave up. But if game 1 is an indication, the lack of returning starters won't be an issue for Michigan this season.

Yeah, AnthonyD1993. If so many Gators weren't in trouble, they may have had some of their better players maybe pull the upset. I'm sure Michigan will still take the win regardless.

Another thing... that new Atlanta Falcons stadium is pretty awesome! I'm alternating between #3 Florida State vs. #1 Alabama in Atlanta and #16 Louisville vs. Purdue in Indianapolis.

[OMISSION] WHAT AN UPSET! Liberty University, an NCAA FCS school transitioning to NCAA FBS, defeated Baylor 48-45 today at Baylor! Can you believe the Liberty Flames burned the Baylor Bears? Baylor's football program already has enough issues. This is just even more issues for this Baptist university in Waco, Texas, USA.

Last edited:
Michigan looked awful in the first half, but they looked awesome in the second.

Alabama is still, well, Alabama. I hate their team, but I can't argue with their results.

Also, BYU looks awful, I can't wait to razz on my co-workers Tuesday since so many of them are BYU fans. Looking forward to the "Holy War" next weekend too, the Utes came out looking pretty good on Thursday and I'm hoping they have a decent season.

There was another FCS-beat-FBS upset yesterday as Howard University defeated the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. This HBCU (historically-Black colleges and universities) from Washington, D.C. took down the Rebels of UNLV with a 43-40 victory at UNLV. Howard was a 45-point underdog heading into this match. The Bison are lead by Caylin Newton- the brother of Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton. This 45-point spread upset is the biggest spread upset in college football history.

I think there are a good number of games today and tomorrow for you to check out, so enjoy some college football this weekend!

FSU will be without QB Deondre Francois for the rest of the season with a patella tendon injury. I hope he has a speedy and successful recovery.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

Down 38-10 at Halftime; UCLA rallied in the 2nd Half to defeat Texas A&M 45-44 in Pasadena, CA. Also, it was 31-24 as #21 Virginia Tech defeats #22 West Virginia in Landover, MD. I also offer my well wishes to Deondre Francois in his recovery. I didn't really see the incident, but I am gutted for him.

Congratulations to all of this week's winners. Don't forget Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech in Atlanta tomorrow night!

[UPDATE] Typo spotted. Changes made.

Last edited:
This season of college football may be tough for me to follow. Part of the reason is because my parents have gone from Dish (over 16 years) to local Digital TV and Sling TV. I even look to KODI/XBMC on my Nexus Player. So college football coverage will be much different for me this season. Even still, I will do as much as I can to follow the action this season.

The season just started. Don't worry if your favorite team(s) are doing poorly. Some teams go from crap to doggone good. It's funny how some people think a football season is over just because you have one loss on your record. There have been losing teams in NCAA FBS that get just enough wins to make a Bowl game appearance. All I'm saying is- DON'T GIVE UP!

Maybe the biggest game this week will be Oklahoma at Ohio State. So be sure to follow that game in some capacity along with several others to be played.

A number of college football games this weekend are being impacted by Hurricane Irma. Irma is expected to impact most of Florida and perhaps Georgia northward. All of you in Irma's path both currently and in the future please be safe. I want to hope all of you impacted will be able to ride out this hurricane. Please take care of yourselves.

As for the rest of the nation, feel free to enjoy lots more college football madness as the season continues. Enjoy the games!

Another Saturday, more college football. Enjoy today's/tonight's games! I'm currently watching Cincinnati at Michigan as of the time of this post.

Michigan's Defense looks good. But my god, the offense is just terrible. Speight needs to pull it together or else Harbaugh needs to hand the keys to O'Korn and get it over with. They will not be good in conference play if they keep playing like this on the offense.

Like I said before, I'm familiar with John O'Korn when he played for my beloved Houston Cougars. I'm sure they'll turn O'Korn loose and let him operate the Wolverines' offense. I think Michigan will be fine. Whether or not they will be College Football Playoff quality, though, remains to be seen. But I don't think Michigan is going to go into any kind of tailspin like, say... Michigan State last season.

Time for some musings. Get ready...

* Man. You know you stink when you lose to Eastern Michigan. So was the sad fate of Rutgers when they lost 16-13 hosting Eastern Michigan.

* Misery loves company. So Syracuse knows this feeling as Middle Tennessee State defeated the Syracuse Orange at Syracuse.

* Michigan wins, Ohio State loses. Wolverines fans must be smiling considering Michigan defeated Cincinnati at home, followed by Ohio State losing at home to Oklahoma in a Top 5 showdown.

* How do you get over losing to Maryland last week? Shut out (and shut down) San José State. That's what the Texas Longhorns did at home to the tune of a 56-0 whacking of the Spartans.

* State pride was on the line in the great state of Iowa. Regulation solved nothing after four quarters of 15 minutes of football. So one Overtime was needed for Iowa to sink Iowa State on the road 44-41 in Overtime. Seeing Iowa State lose upsets on GTPlaneteer I know of...

* If this keeps up, Kansas may not be the Big XII school that will stink the most. The Roadrunners of the University of Texas-San Antonio downed the Baylor Bears 17-10 at Baylor. UTSA has talent. They beat my Houston Cougars 28-7 a few years ago when we opened up our current football stadium. Sad go for Baylor. Then maybe considering all of the controversy and such, maybe this is just a manifestation of all of the cruelty against Baylor.

Not too much else I can mention at this point. So congratulations to all winners from this week's games.

The Holy War went on last night and Utah walked away with another win over BYU. As far as rivalry games go, it was pretty meh, but I think I'm required by the state to watch it :lol:

With a triple ot at Washington State for BSU. I was slightly depressed by the result but that was a great game for me to watch.

Time for some college football musings. Hope you're enjoying this week's games.

* Did any of you see the end of that Tennessee at Florida game? When I checked on Twitter, the topic of Hail Mary was about SMU at TCU. Then a REAL Hail Mary happened later today. Florida sent one deep with time running out and ended up winning on (to use baseball speak) a walk-off touchdown catch. I only know one Volunteers fan- our tbwhhs. He probably needed some therapy after this heartbreaking fail for Tennessee. The final score was 26-20 in favor of Florida in Gainesville.

* However, Vols fans don't need as much therapy as, say... Kansas. Kansas lost 42-30 at Ohio. This is now Kansas' 42-straight road game loss. It is the longest active streak of such in NCAA FBS. The all-time record for consecutive road game losses was 44, set by Western State (a Colorado school) between 1926 and 1936.

These are all of the remaining road games for Kansas this season. Think they can win at any of THESE places: Iowa State, TCU, Texas, and Oklahoma State? Kansas probably wished they could return to their 2007 glory. I know Kansas is better regarded as a basketball power, but this is totally sad if you're a Jayhawks fan. Them and Baylor (who got shredded at Duke today) have fallen off the map.

Not much more musings to share. Congratulations to all of the winners of this week's games. That even includes Michigan over Air Force at home, Memphis taking down #25 UCLA, and Auburn against Mercer.

[UPDATE] Auburn's win wasn't as "close" as I described it. Edited.

Last edited:
I predicted a 10-2 or 9-3 season for Michigan. But my god, the offense is still looking like it doesn't exist. There's no way Michigan can be competitive in conference if the majority of the points come from the kicker.

JJ Russell got absolutely demolished on a kickoff return during the Memphis/UCLA game and was carted off. Recent updates seem to point towards him being ok which is good because he took a massive shot on that return.

Well, there's still a lot of season left. Whatever needs to be corrected or improved is something Michigan will have to try to get better at. At least they still have a spotless record at present. Keep it that way (or maybe have a quality loss), and you guys probably could be in the College Football Playoff discussion. Never know...

I hope you enjoyed last week's games, including that Double Overtime shootout between Texas at USCal. Here are some of the more interesting matches this upcoming week:

* #23 Utah at Arizona
* North Carolina State at #12 Florida State
* #16 TCU at #6 Oklahoma State
* #7 Michigan at Purdue
* Notre Dame at Michigan State
* #5 USCal at California (both undefeated at 3-0)
* #1 Alabama at Vanderbilt (both undefeated at 3-0)
* #3 Oklahoma at Baylor (3-0 OU, 0-3 BAY)
* #17 Mississippi State at #11 Georgia (both undefeated at 3-0)
* #4 Penn State at Iowa (both undefeated at 3-0)
* #20 Florida at Kentucky (UK undefeated at 3-0)
* #7 Washington at Colorado
* UCF at Maryland (UCF undefeated at 1-0, Maryland undefeated at 2-0)
* Robert Morris at North Dakota State (NDSU is 2-0)
* North Carolina A&T at Morgan State (NCAT is 3-0)
* Nicholls State at Sam Houston State (SHSU is 2-0)

The current highest-ranking team not from a Power 5 conference is South Florida of the American Athletic Conference at #21. Then too, I always think of the AAC as new Big East. The only other non Power 5 school in the Top 25 is #22 ranked San Diego State of the Mountain West. One result that surprised me from last week was LSU losing BAD at Mississippi State 37-7.

The new week of college football begins with Temple at #21 South Florida. Enjoy this week's games, and good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Nebraska is looking for a new AD now after they fired Shawn Eichorst. Link here.

Probably means Mike Riley's hot seat is even hotter now than it ever was. It wouldn't shock me if he gets fired at the end of the season.

When you are one of the proudest programs in all of college football (like Nebraska) and lose to teams like Northern Illinois, you are probably likely going to have a hot seat. Nebraska hosts Rutgers this week. It's going to stink even more to be a Cornhuskers fan if they lose to Rutgers. All the best to Nebraska moving forward.

Latest musings...

* Wow! Did you all see the #4 Penn State at Iowa game? It was an exciting game with a heart-breaking end for Hawkeye Nation. 21-19 win by Penn State on an amazing last-second touchdown by Penn State. Otherwise, Iowa would have upset Penn State. What a game!

* Staying in the Big XII, Nebraska did good defeating Rutgers at home. Much to the shegrin of our Blitz24, of course. The winning score for Nebraska was 27-17.

* The Michigan Wolverines did good after trailing at the half. They improve to 4-0 on the season with a 28-10 victory on the road.

* For the first time since 1989, Florida State University is 0-2 to start the season. They failed at home to North Carolina State. The Wolfpack beat the Seminoles 27-21.

* My Houston Cougars failed today hosting Texas Tech. We lost 27-24. The Coogs are now 2-1 on the season.

* Alabama ain't scared of no Commodores. Just ask Vanderbilt how it feels to lose 59-0 to them. This is one of the largest margins of victory on the road by Alabama in team history.

* It was so stunning #16 TCU won at #6 Oklahoma State. The Horned Frogs had their losing funk at Oklahoma State snapped, as they lost four straight at OkSU before today's win. TCU won 44-31 at Oklahoma State.

* So Oklahoma State failed. How did the other Big XII team in Oklahoma do? Well- they won! Oklahoma moves to 4-0 by beating sorry (and still winless) Baylor 49-41.

* Texas A&M and Arkansas played in Arlington, TX. I heard this game a bit on the radio. Regulation solved nothing in this one. So all it took was one Overtime for the Aggies to sink the Razorbacks. 50-43 was the final score in Overtime as Texas A&M won.

* Kentucky hosted #20 Florida, and Florida beat Kentucky 28-27. Gators down the Wildcats yet again on the football field. The fans in Lexington, KY were none too pleased seeing blue and white of UK go down to blue and orange of UF.

* SoCal meets NorCal as the USCal Trojans paid a visit to the California Golden Bears. The Trojans from Los Angeles won this one 30-20 even as California sported some very nice blue and gold throwback uniforms. I usually like California and West Virginia among blue and gold uniform teams (be proud wvumidget!). Speaking of West Virginia...

* The Mountaineers of West Virginia University were victorious on the road at the lethargic Kansas Jayhawks' football team. It was a basketball-on-grass offensive game with WVU winning 56-34.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

Penn State/Iowa was one of the best games all year. Also glad that Arkansas lost. I absolutely despise Bret Bielema.

College football musings from me. You want them? You got them. Let's get it...

* My Houston Cougars went to Philadelphia to meet the Temple Owls. We won 20-13. Coogs now 3-1 on the season.

* I was surprised to see #16 Washington State knock off #5 USCal 30-27 in Pullman, WA. The Cougars of Washington State took down the cardinal and gold boys from Los Angeles.

* Not sure if he's still on here, but I remember one GTPlaneteer who is an East Carolina fan named Cam. Well, his Pirates got whacked 61-31 at ECU by #18 South Florida. I found out my Houston Cougars will play AT South Florida on October 28. Yikes! I don't like the sound of this for when we're at USF later this season.

On a somber note, spare some thoughts for Joe Tiller. Joe Tiller was a fabulous head coach for Purdue University. He was the winningest coach in team history. My condolences go out to Joe Tiller and all who known and loved him. I considered him a great coach to be honest. Joe Tiller was 74 years old.

Congratulations to all winners from this week's games. Hopefully your favorite school(s) were among the winners.

I just arrived home from today's Wisconsin-Northwestern game, and that match is definitely the most exciting duel I've seen in person. This is coming from someone who rarely, if ever, attends sporting events live.

I'm not a fan of the Badgers (I was rooting for the Wildcats myself), but I have to say that they did an exellent job coming back in the third quarter, which included a pick-six. When there was only one minute left and the Wildcats were one touchdown away from tying the game, Wisconsin sacked Northwestern's quarterback for a safety.

Northwestern 24, Wisconsin 33. Good job to both schools.

Can't believe it, Anthony31993. Troy gets their first win against an SEC opponent since 2001, and LSU's string of 45 straight games defeating non-conference opponents at home was snapped in the process. LSU is now 3-2 on the season. According to Yahoo! Sports, Troy went trolling on LSU after their win. The Alabama school took a playful shot at LSU. For more: https://sports.yahoo.com/no-25-lsu-stunned-home-troy-24-21-022913951.html .

Elsewhere...

* Crash's #6 Washington Huskies did good on the road. So both of Washington's Pac-12 teams won today. Washington put a 42-7 hurtin' on the Oregon State Beavers at Corvalis, OR.

* There was an entertaining contest in Lubbock as the Texas Tech Red Raiders hosted #14 Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State, though, silenced the Red Raiders' attempted comeback with a 41-34 victory.

* Florida State remembered what winning feels like as they un-undefeated Wake Forest on the road 26-19.

College football. Got to love it.

I was thinking... we shouldn't be too far away from the first 2017 College Football Playoff rankings. We should get our first idea then of the four best teams and two others that aren't too far back of the four best teams. And unless Alabama and/or Clemson just get bored and let themselves lose, you have to figure these two teams to be among the best teams in NCAA FBS. Remember that I don't have ESPN/ABC to look at. So I will have to look for other ways to get the latest CFP rankings when they get released. Before I close this post, I must make an omission:

[OMISSION] With Georgia's 41-0 victory at Tennessee earlier today, Tennessee's streak of 289 successive games scoring has been snapped. It was the 6th longest streak in college football history. Georgia's victory at Tennessee was the 800th win in program history. My goodness... must have been a horrid day to be a Volunteers fan on this day and in this game.

Back