College Football: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 147 comments
@JohnBM01 Thanks for the shout out! Slow start to offense for the Huskies but they really stepped it up during the second half. A little sad that it didn't end up in a shut out, but I'll still take a win any day.

To spark your interest in this week of college football, here are a number of games to be played among many others:

* Michigan State at #7 Michigan
* Wake Forest at #2 Clemson
* Iowa State at #3 Oklahoma
* #4 Penn State at Northwestern
* #13 Miami at Florida State
* LSU at #21 Florida
* #22 West Virginia at #8 TCU
* #9 Wisconsin at Nebraska
* #11 Washington State at Oregon
* Stanford at #20 Utah
* California at #6 Washington

You know, you may want to take Washington State and South Florida seriously this season. Neither are sexy names, but they have both done quite well so far. Who knows where these two could end up later in the season? I want to imagine Washington and Washington State being undefeated heading into their Apple Cup rivalry game. I know our Crash is hoping the purple and gold boys of U-Dub take down the Cougars from Pullman. I also noted the University of Central Florida (UCF) made it into the Top 25. UCF and South Florida are rivals.

Lots of games coming up. Be sure to enjoy as many games as you can this week! And of course... good luck to your favorite teams.

I'll certainly be watching the Michigan/Michigan State game. The week of this game is always the week that the state winds up fighting itself just because of the sheer hatred of whichever school a fan of one school opposes.

You love college football, and you know it. No shame in being a college football fan. Relax. Tonight, though, we got ACC action as the #17 Louisville Cardinals head out to visit the Wolfpack of #24 North Carolina State. Which red team will win tonight? We'll find out! This will kick off the new week of college football.

In the older times on GTPlanet, and on the weekend of Petit Le Mans, I would usually make a motorsports-themed look at college football. I even made a few references to colleges who participate in Formula SAE. Either way, there are plenty of games on tap to enjoy. So go enjoy some college football!

Let me share one quick musing...

DOWN GOES OKLAHOMA!

Can you believe the Iowa State Cyclones went to Norman, Oklahoma and beat the #3 ranked Sooners 38-31? I couldn't believe it when I saw that score. Iowa State was 0-17 all time in road games against AP Top 3 teams. This was a HUGE win for the Cyclones.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games.

Absolutely terrible game from Michigan. 5 turnovers and no execution from anything apart from the defense. That's a sure fire way to lose just like they did. Maybe this will light a fire under their asses because the offense has been bad for a while already.

Yeah, that was bad, AnthonyD1993. The thing is, they were down by about four. So it wasn't like they were down by 10 trying to make an epic comeback. The turnovers were biting them hard and prevented any hope of making a comeback. I guess if Michigan wins out, they have a College Football Playoff possibility, but a rather faint one. Just look ahead to next week...

Let me share one quick musing...

DOWN GOES OKLAHOMA!

Can you believe the Iowa State Cyclones went to Norman, Oklahoma and beat the #3 ranked Sooners 38-31? I couldn't believe it when I saw that score. Iowa State was 0-17 all time in road games against AP Top 3 teams. This was a HUGE win for the Cyclones.

Eh personally not too surprised after the Sooners barely beat a horrible Baylor team (who lost to Liberty and UT-San Antonio to star the season :lol:) before their bye week. The rankings are just so hollow with the arbitrary way they are assigned to start the season.

I just saw most of the tail end of the Iowa State at Oklahoma game. I still can't believe it. The Sooners were up 24-13 or so on Iowa State. However, the Cyclones delivered that back-breaking late touchdown to go ahead 38-31 and not look back. Great win for the Cyclones. For Oklahoma, meanwhile, they now have to deal with those boys from Austin this weekend. Yep. Red River Rivalry. Always a good one. Oh, and Oklahoma was knocked out of the Top 10 in the AP Polls after this loss, going from No. 3 to No. 12.

Misery loves company, so what about the boys from Ann Arbor? Sparty came into the Big House and tamed the Wolverines. Michigan State feasted on turnover after turnover by Michigan. The team that was No. 7 in NCAA FBS is now 17th in the Top 25.

Here are some of this week's games involving the Top 25:

! = currently undefeated

* #2 Clemson! at Syracuse
* #8 Washington State! at California
* #24 Texas Tech at West Virginia
* #6 TCU! at Kansas State
* #17 Michigan at Indiana
* #21 Michigan State at Minnesota
* Georgia Tech at #11 Miami!
* Baylor at #14 Oklahoma State
* Purdue at #7 Wisconsin!
* #10 Auburn at LSU
* #25 Navy! at Memphis
* Missouri at #4 Georgia!
* Boise State at #19 San Diego State!
* #5 Washington! at Arizona State

Whatever games interest you this week, go enjoy some college football this week! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

I found out all of the Top 10 teams in NCAA FBS playing are all at unranked teams. This could be a recipe for disaster if the higher-ranked teams fall at these unranked opponents. Clemson at Syracuse is going on right now. I haven't seen a score, but I'm sure the Clemson Tigers don't want to lose and see their possible postseason chances go up in smoke. Even still, I doubt Clemson is going to repeat as National Champions.

Enjoy this weekend's games, folks!

So last week, it was Oklahoma. Now... it's Clemson. Got to love college football, folks! Have to wonder what this Saturday will bring.

Go enjoy a game or two. Or three. Or four or more...! I am watching #7 Michigan at Indiana right now. I may make another post to share any musings regarding this week's scores.

Good luck to your favorite teams.

Cal absolutely demolished Washington State last night. That was one of the biggest beat downs of a ranked team I've ever seen.

Here are my latest musings on college football...

* I had to look up the score to the Wash. St. at California game. And yep- losing 37-3 is a rough day at the office.

* Meanwhile, congratulations to the University of Michigan on picking up their 500th win in the Big Ten. They are the winningest team in the B1G. Only thing is, regulation didn't solve anything. Overtime was needed. Yet still, the blue and maize prevailed.

* Be proud, wvumidget- your Mountaineers defeated the #24 Texas Tech Red Raiders at home. The boys from Lubbock, Texas were covered in WVU blue and gold with their 46-35 beating of TTU.

* Both Oklahoma Big XII schools are doing great- Oklahoma State currently up 35-10 at home against winless Baylor (0:37 left in 2nd Quarter), and Oklahoma is smacking down Texas 20-10 at the half.

Congratulations to all winners from this week's games.

The afternoon games are starting up as of the time of this post. Among the games completed, Texas recently lost in Overtime 13-10 hosting #10 Oklahoma State. My Houston Cougars unfortunately lost at home to #25 Memphis. And can you believe Miami is No. 8 in the nation AND undefeated? Syracuse wants to change that. Remember- the 'Cuse knocked off (then) #2 Clemson at home. Also winners today? Connecticut at home against Tulsa, and Rutgers at home against Purdue.

I think I'm going to check out Michigan at Penn State later tonight. Congratulations to all winners from this week's games.

Hey! UT Boosters! You know that guy you screwed over? You know how the guy you poached from Houston was supposed to be the salvation of the program? How's that working out for y'all?

Dumb:censored:es

I knew it would be an uphill battle for Michigan heading into Penn State. When I first saw the game, Penn State was up 14-0 with about four minutes left in the first quarter. 42-13 was the brutal final as Penn State coasted to a victory. You know, the B1G championship may just come down to Wisconsin and Penn State. I checked Wisconsin's schedule and... Wisconsin does NOT play Penn State this season! So they only way these two will meet is if Wisconsin and Penn State win their divisions and play in the B1G Conference Championship game. Wisconsin and Penn State are for real.

The biggest game this weekend has to be Penn State at Ohio State. If Penn State is really for real, they'll take down the Ohio State Buckeyes this Saturday afternoon in Columbus, OH. The UCLA Bruins will be hosted by the #12 Washington Huskies. We got "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" this weekend also- Georgia vs. Florida. I'm expecting my Houston Cougars to fail at #17 South Florida, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Whatever game(s) you're into this weekend, go enjoy some college football! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

This is my latest round of college football musings. But first, I must let you know that the first round of College Football Playoff rankings is this Tuesday. Some teams could be treated this Halloween by being among the four best teams in NCAA FBS. Now on to various musings of mine...

* I was expecting my Houston Cougars to lose at the #17 and undefeated South Florida Bulls. We ended up winning 28-24 thanks to a late touchdown drive by the Coogs. HUGE win for the Houston Cougars on a so-so season so far.

* DOWN GOES MICHIGAN STATE! Sixty minutes and four quarters didn't solve anything, so Overtime was needed. THREE to be exact. The Wildcats won 39-31 over the Michigan State Spartans.

* DOWN GOES PENN STATE! Penn State at Ohio State was the big game this week. Penn State ended up losing at Ohio State. I wonder what damage could have been done to the Nittany Lions in the Playoff discussion for when the first CFP rankings are released. It was a 39-38 win for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

* Staying in the B1G, Wisconsin is now 8-0 on the season after winning 24-10 at Illinois.

* Michigan welcomed Rutgers and won. At least unlike last season, the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers actually scored on Michigan. Wolverines win 35-14 still.

* DOWN GOES TCU! 14-7 was the score as the Iowa State Cyclones took down the boys from Fort Worth. This game was in Ames, IA; and the Cyclones tore through the TCU Horned Frogs to take down the team that was #4 in NCAA FBS.

* The Oklahoma State Cowboys took down wvumidget's WVU Mountaineers hard. 50-39 hard.

* The state of Kansas' two biggest programs went at it as Kansas State was at Kansas. The Wildcats of K-State won 30-20. Kansas' woeful football program suffers another horrible loss.

* Speaking of sorry Big XII football teams, 38-7 was the score as Texas put a rout on sorry Baylor. Considering all the trouble Baylor has been through in recent years, some think this is probably a good thing for Baylor.

* "The U" is 8th in NCAA FBS. The Miami Hurricanes took out the North Carolina Tar Heels in Chapel Hill, NC. The 'Canes won 24-19.

* Florida Georgia line. It is the game I learned of as "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party." Florida wasn't partying much in this one. The #3 Georgia Bulldogs ended up pounding Florida 42-7. Florida's head coach is on the hot seat after this loss.

* It was the Kentucky Wildcats who took down the visiting Tennessee Volunteers 29-26 in Lexington, KY.

* The 12th Man Advantage didn't mean anything for Texas A&M, as the Mississippi State Bulldogs put a rout on the Aggies 35-14.

* How about some Pac-12 talk? The Washington Huskies won 44-23 hosting the UCLA Bruins. Crash's Huskies did good today.

* It took two Overtimes for the Massachusetts Minutemen to sink the Appalachian State Mountaineers 30-27. Remember when both were still in NCAA FCS (then 1-AA)?

* Florida Atlantic went to Western Kentucky and handed them a 42-28 loss.

Going to be interesting in the B1G to see who goes to the conference championship game. Right now, it looks like Ohio State will be representing the B1G in the playoffs if the conference sends a team because I think they will beat Wisconsin.

Saquon Barkley is still a beast.

Well right now, the division leaders in the Big Ten are Ohio State (East) and Wisconsin (West). I checked Ohio State's schedule, and they don't play Wisconsin. So it would be interesting if both Ohio State and Wisconsin win out heading into the B1G Championship Game. Ohio State with just one loss while Wisconsin is still undefeated.

Happy Halloween!

The first College Football Playoff rankings were released earlier tonight. Your first look at the four in and first two out are as follows:

! = currently undefeated

--- FIRST FOUR IN (Oct. 31) ---
1.) Georgia!
2.) Alabama!
3.) Notre Dame
4.) Clemson

--- FIRST TWO OUT (Oct. 31) ---
5.) Oklahoma
6.) Ohio State

This is only the first set of rankings. It doesn't matter too much now, but it will as the regular season winds to a close. Four will play for a National Championship. Which four will make up this season's College Football Playoff remains to be seen.

Georgia is ranked ahead of Alabama?... Welp, that's the kerosene torch Nick Saban can use to light the inferno and steamroll everyone for the next 5 years. The Clemson loss gave him the fuel already.

With the way people talk about Notre Dame, you'd think they were in the cellar, same for Ohio State but after the last couple of seasons I can see why that one is that way.

In other news, Baylor is worse than SMU, Harbaugh isn't having a good year, and it seems like there's a number of good/really good teams thus far.

Let me see if I can interest you in some college football this weekend. Here are some of the many games coming up on this final weekend of Daylight Saving Time:

* #7 Penn State at #24 Michigan State
* #14 Auburn at Texas A&M
* #4 Clemson at #20 North Carolina State
* #15 Iowa State at West Virginia
* #6 Ohio State at Iowa
* #21 Stanford at #25 Washington State
* South Carolina at #1 Georgia
* Wake Forest at #3 Notre Dame
* #5 Oklahoma at #11 Oklahoma State
* Texas at #8 TCU
* #13 Virginia Tech at #10 Miami
* #19 LSU at #2 Alabama
* Oregon at #12 Washington
* Minnesota at Michigan
* Marshall at Florida Atlantic
* Texas Southern at Mississippi Valley State
* Prairie View A&M at Southern
* Incarnate Word at Sam Houston State
* Houston Baptist at Nicholls State
* Central Arkansas at Lamar
* North Dakota State at South Dakota State

MANY more games nationwide. These are just some of the many. If you'll be watching ESPN tonight, they will show the Navy Midshipmen at the Temple Owls.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams. Oh, and remember to set your clock BACK one hour this weekend if you observe Daylight Saving Time.

Here are a few musings on last week's action.

* Go B1G or go home. Penn State and Ohio State went down. Ohio State basically got beat like they were an FCS team or a High School team when they visited the Iowa Hawkeyes. Iowa won 55-24 hosting Ohio State. Despite a weather delay of more than three and a half hours, it was the Michigan Stare Spartans putting the 27-24 hurt on #7 Penn State. Big win for Sparty. Also of note is #9 Wisconsin winning 45-17 at Indiana. The Badgers' rout of the Indiana Hoosiers keeps Wisconsin undefeated and is now 8-0 on the season.

* From the Big Ten to the Big XII. First- DOWN GOES IOWA STATE! Be proud, wvumidget- your Mountaineers took down the #15 Iowa State Cyclines. So one Iowa team does great; the other... not so muuch. There was Bedlam in Oklahoma. The #11 Oklahoma State Cowboys lost at home to the #5 Oklahoma Sooners 62-52. The #8 TCU Horned Frogs blew out the Texas Longhorns 24-7.

* A little Pac-12 talk now. DOWN GOES STANFORD! #21 Stanford failed at #25 Washington State 24-21. So how did the other Pac-12 team in Washington do? You know, Crash's Washington Huskies? They were just fine. Washington State's Apple Cup rivals devoured the Oregon Ducks 38-3. Both Washington and Washington State won at home this weekend. In Los Angeles, the #17 USCal Trojans won at home against the #22 Arizona Wildcats. The other Arizona Pac-12 team on at home as the Arizona State Sun Devils won 41-30 over the Colorado Buffaloes. The Utah Utes had NO problem with the UCLA Bruins- a 48-17 smashing of the boys from Pasadena, CA.

* Now for a little SEC loving. Georgia passed their first test as a #1 team as they won 24-10 hosting South Carolina. Alabama knows about being #1. This #2 were surely #1 against #19 LSU. Tuscaloosa was rocking as the Crimson Tide won 24-10. Strange both teams won by the same score and the same margin. Still- both won. Believe it or not, Georgia and Alabama do NOT play each other this season! UGA's remaining schedule is: at Auburn (rivalry), Kentucky, and at Georgia Tech (rivalry).

* When I first got into college sports in 2002, I always thought it was a big deal when the University of Miami was winning. While the 2017 Miami Hurricanes are not the ballin' 2001 'Canes, Miami remains undefeated with a 28-10 whacking of Virginia Tech at home.

* So you mean to tell me that Michigan pummeled Minnesota 33-10, and all they get for their troubles is... a Little Brown Jug? That ain't right! Still cool, though!

* Northwestern needed Overtime (three, in fact) to sink Michigan State last weekend at home. The Northwestern Wildcats needed Overtime to take down Nebraska 31-24. This game needed only one Overtime.

* My Houston Cougars trounced the East Carolina Pirates 52-27 at fabulous TDECU Stadium here in Houston. The Coogs are Bowl Eligible as they are now 6-3 on the season.

Congratulations to all other winners from this past week of college football. Get ready for this new week!

Back