College Football: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 147 comments
Tennessee is expected to name Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt as their new head coach tomorrow

Tonight is the Heisman Trophy ceremony. Lots of people are thinking Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield will take home John Heisman's trophy this year, but a couple of others could take it. There is also the Army-Navy Game played today also. There is also playoff action in college football outside of NCAA FBS. Not much college football, but enjoy what action we do have today and tonight!

Does anybody think that the Heisman trophy voting should take place after the National Championship game to take the playoffs into account? :)

Many people would want the Heisman to come after the National Championship game, so you're not in the minority, mcpon14. I am kind of okay with the Heisman being determined as it is. I think the Heisman is more like a regular season accomplishment; not like some MVP honor of the season (including postseason).

This said, though, congratulations to Baker Mayfield winning the Heisman. I didn't see the actual ceremony.

Are you ready for some Bowl Games? Of course you are. The fun begins this Saturday. If you want to see the full schedule of this season's Bowl Games, check this link out:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ball-bowl-schedule-scores-tv-listings-matchup

My beloved Houston Cougars will play against Fresno State in the Hawaii/Hawai'i Bowl on December 24th. Other games...

* wvumidget's West Virginia Mountaineers will meet the Utah Utes at the Heart of Dallas Bowl (Dec. 26).

* Crash's Washington Huskies will meet the Nittany Lions of Penn State at the Fiesta Bowl (Dec. 30).

* The Akron Zips will set it off against the Florida Atlantic Owls in the Boca Raton Bowl (Dec. 19).

* On December 16, 2017; the Thundering Herd of Marshall takes on the Colorado State Rams.

* The Outback Bowl (Jan. 1, 2018) will see the Michigan Wolverines take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. No JaDeveon Clowney for this MICH/SCAR rematch. These two battled in 2013.

* I'll end this roundup with two games in honor of my late friend and GTPlaneteer FoolKiller. I would say his Kentucky Wildcats will meet the Northwestern Wildcats in the Music City Bowl (Dec. 29), and his other favorite school will see the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers meet the Georgia State Panthers in the Cure Bowl (Dec. 16).

Enjoy the Bowl Games! And good luck to your favorite teams if they are in the Bowl Game swing.

[UPDATE] Heart of Dallas Bowl for WVU vs. Utah. Changes made.

Last edited:
This is turning out to not be much of a game. Thankfully. :D

Screenshot_20171215-202002.png

Correction. It's 35-3.

41-3 at the half

Last edited:
Rise and shine, GTPlaneteers! It's Bowl Season! That's right. We got Bowl games starting today on the NCAA FBS level. The fun begins today with the Celebration Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia. This is the only Bowl Game not involving NCAA FBS teams. Two HBCUs (historically-Black colleges and universities) will go at it as Grambling State takes on North Carolina A&T.

I hope you enjoy all of the Bowl games this postseason. Of course- it's all about the big game Bowls, including the College Football Playoff games. Still get to enjoy all of the postseason action.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams if they made the Bowl Season.

Troy won 50-30 over North Texas in that game. Also, I want to congratulate North Carolina A&T on finishing an unbeaten season, as the Aggies finished 12-0. There hasn't been an HBCU FCS national champion since Florida A&M back in 1978.

Congratulations to all other winners today and tonight across all levels of college football.

I didn't see the game, but my Houston Cougars apparently lost 33-27 to the Fresno State Bulldogs in the Hawaii/Hawai'i Bowl. At least, unlike my 2017 Houston Texans of the NFL, the Coogs actually can win games. Too bad this wasn't our night. University of Houston football still a long ways away from returning to potential Playoff busters.

Enjoy the rest of the postseason action!

1960. That was how long ago when New Mexico State last won a Bowl game. Some of you might have even been born in 1960. But recently, the little school from Las Cruces, New Mexico pulled off a victory in the Arizona Bowl. it was the New Mexico State Aggies defeating the Utah State Aggies in Overtime 26-20. Yes- first Bowl Game win in 57 years for NMSU.

Congratulations to all other Bowl Game winners up to the time of this post.

Time to get serious, folks. We got the College Football Playoff ready to play itself out. The Playoff Four goes like this:

* #1 Clemson vs. #4 Alabama (Sugar Bowl)
* #2 Oklahoma vs. #3 Georgia (Rose Bowl)

The winners of these two games will meet next Monday to play for the National Championship. Besides this, there are three other Bowl games for your viewing pleasure. Other games played today:

* Michigan vs. South Carolina (Outback Bowl)
* #12 UCF vs. #7 Auburn (Peach Bowl)
* #14 Notre Dame vs. #17 LSU (Citrus Bowl)

Happy new year, and good luck to all of your favorite teams!

Well, folks... we got our NCAA FBS National Championship Monday next week. Results from the College Football Playoff matches:

* #4 Alabama vs. #1 Clemson (24-6; Alabama)
* #2 Oklahoma vs. #3 Georgia (54-48, 2OT, Georgia)

Yes... we have an all-SEC National Championship game. It will be either the Crimson Tide or the Bulldogs winning it all this season.

Not to be outdone, show some love for the University of Central Florida, who completed a perfect season as the UCF Golden Knights defeated the Auburn Tigers 43-27 in the Peach Bowl. UCF finishes the 2017 College Football season at 13-0.

So- Alabama or Georgia to win it all? Tell it, GTPlanet!

Maybe that abysmal performance will finally make Michigan fire Tim Drevno. The play calling he had was absolutely terrible and single handedly costed Michigan the game.

So- Alabama or Georgia to win it all? Tell it, GTPlanet!

Georgia, and I live in Alabama. Alabama got the benefit of Clemson being totally flat and scored mainly off of their turnovers. I don't see how Alabama can stop Georgia. Alabama has to keep the score low to have a chance. Alabama is an early favorite and they never respond very well as the favorite.

You know, I wonder if there are Ohio State types who saw Clemson get destroyed would think, "maybe WE should have been in the Playoff and not Clemson. Just sayin'..." Then too, so would UCF after they put on a perfect season. That's why I think the College Football Playoff will eventually be an eight-team playoff. Playoff inclusion isn't perfect or fair. If you follow college basketball, you hear of teams that have great seasons yet don't get into the Tournament even as at-large bids. Like those who say, "Illinois State or Monmouth should have got in."

Any more picks regarding Alabama vs. Georgia?

We determine a National Champion on the NCAA FCS level today. It is the Bison of North Dakota State University going up against the Dukes of James Madison University. All the action takes place today in Frisco, Texas. Will NDSU or JMU take home the National Championship? Find out today!

Good luck to both North Dakota State and James Madison.

We determine a National Champion on the NCAA FCS level today. It is the Bison of North Dakota State University going up against the Dukes of James Madison University. All the action takes place today in Frisco, Texas. Will NDSU or JMU take home the National Championship? Find out today!

Good luck to both North Dakota State and James Madison.
Frisco_win_homepage.jpg

At 17-13, it was a predominantly defensive game but a win is a win! Six in the last seven years! :D

College football is great, isn't it? Sadly, it must come to an end, at least for this season. We have two teams left to duke it out for the National Championship in NCAA FBS level football. Tonight in Atlanta, it's almost pretty much a glorified SEC Championship Game as Alabama and Georgia square off to become the champions of the 2017 season of college football. Who will win? We'll see later tonight!

Good luck to Alabama and Georgia, and may the better team win.

Alabama won another title?

*yawn*

College football is really uninteresting and until they expand the playoffs and figure out a better way to include more teams, it'll stay uninteresting. At least Ohio State didn't make it into the playoffs, so that's something I guess.

I mostly saw the game from the 4th Quarter onwards. What stunned me so much (besides the seemingly automatic field goal for Alabama) was how Georgia made a huge defensive play... only to get gashed on an epic touchdown the next play. The end result was more heartbreak than simply getting outplayed. Yet still, Nick Saban still rules the college football world. All sins forgiven after ALA's horrific shank of a potential game-winning field goal.

I may check in later with some final thoughts or something else.

I know Georgia fans are hurting right now but they need to hold their heads up because with that talent and that coach they will get back there again and it will probably be very soon. I guess it hurts more because it's been so long since they've been in a position to win a championship.

The season ended January 8, but here is my usual Salute to Champions. Congratulations to as many of these college football programs as I could find or learn of:

NCAA FBS: Alabama
NCAA FCS: North Dakota State
NCAA Division 2: Texas A&M-Commerce
NCAA Division 3: Mount Union
NAIA: Saint Francis (of Indiana)
NJCAA: East Mississippi

Congratulations to all other champions of other levels of college football that I failed to mention!

Two somber notes to pass along as of the time of this post...

* First off, a report I read on Twitter that Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski recently committed suicide. Washington State had an excellent season finishing 9-4. Hilinski was 21.

* This past weekend saw an even more melancholy moment as Keith Jackson died. Keith Jackson was one of the greatest sportscasters in American media. He called decades of college football games and several other major sporting events. He even called the 2006 Rose Bowl game between USCal and Texas- which I still consider the greatest college football game I have ever seen. Coincidentally, that was the final college football game he called. Keith Jackson was 89 years old.

So that's all for the 2017 season of college football. What are some of your memories of this past season? What are you looking forward to next season?

Back