College Football: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 147 comments
We know the first rankings of the College Football Playoff, but what about the latest ones? Here's the six for this week:

! = currently undefeated

--- FIRST FOUR IN (Nov. 7, 2017) ---
1.) Georgia!
2.) Alabama!
3.) Notre Dame
4.) Clemson

--- FIRST TWO OUT (Nov. 7, 2017) ---
5.) Oklahoma
6.) TCU

As of now, there is some "MACtion" going on with a few games tonight involving Mid-American Conference teams. I may make another post discussing the games to be played this week. So this is now the CFP rankings.

According to what I read on Twitter, Michigan State moved up to No. 12 in the nation, and THE Ohio State is No. 13 in NCAA FBS. And I find it surprising Wisconsin isn't getting Top 4 love. Maybe the CFP committee either think Wisconsin hasn't really played anybody or if the Big Ten is a weak conference. Wisconsin is at No. 8, and Miami is No. 7.

Enjoy this new week of college football action!

DOWN GOES WASHINGTON!

The #9 Washington Huskies didn't have a good week at Stanford. The Stanford Cardinal won 30-22. So Crah's Huskies may well have their possibly College Football Playoff hopes dashed.

Plenty of games on right now. Among others as of the time of this post: #15 Oklahoma State at #21 Iowa State, Michigan State at Ohio State, Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech, and Florida at South Carolina.

Go enjoy some college football, and good luck to all of your favorite teams.

DOWN GOES GEORGIA!!!

Auburn is a tough place to play at, but Auburn just had more in the tank than Georgia. Maybe Georgia relaxed their guard since they clinched their division of the SEC, but Auburn just made that beating look easy. I don't even know if the teams swapped jerseys for this game. Anyhow... Georgia goes down in flames in the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry.

Before I begin, I had to have surgery to remove an abcess and deal with infections. So I was sorry to be away since Sunday last week. I am glad to be here again. But now that I'm back, it's musing time...

DOWN GOES MIAMI!

* Miami probably should have lost hosting Virginia. However, it was the Pittsburgh Panthers who brought "The U" back down to Earth. That gold chain for turnovers was in full effect. Though, the Hurricanes probably should have focused more on trying to halt Pittsburgh's offense than issue out that chain. It still ended up in Miami losing the game and its unbeaten ways. Miami had better beat Clemson in the ACC Championship game to remain relevant in the College Football Playoff picture. Then too, Clemson will need to beat South Carolina to keep their hopes afloat.

* My Houston Cougars beat the Midshipmen of Navy 24-14. The Coogs are 7-5 on the 2017 season.

I hope your favorite team(s) won this week. If so, congratulations!

Before I begin, I had to have surgery to remove an abcess and deal with infections. So I was sorry to be away since Sunday last week. I am glad to be here again. But now that I'm back, it's musing time...

DOWN GOES MIAMI!

* Miami probably should have lost hosting Virginia. However, it was the Pittsburgh Panthers who brought "The U" back down to Earth. That gold chain for turnovers was in full effect. Though, the Hurricanes probably should have focused more on trying to halt Pittsburgh's offense than issue out that chain. It still ended up in Miami losing the game and its unbeaten ways. Miami had better beat Clemson in the ACC Championship game to remain relevant in the College Football Playoff picture. Then too, Clemson will need to beat South Carolina to keep their hopes afloat.

* My Houston Cougars beat the Midshipmen of Navy 24-14. The Coogs are 7-5 on the 2017 season.

I hope your favorite team(s) won this week. If so, congratulations!

Glad to have you back.

Arkansas fired HC Bret Bielema, and its rumored that Kevin Sumlin will be fired at Texas A&M there could be 5 SEC schools looking for head coaches.

Glad to have you back.

Arkansas fired HC Bret Bielema, and its rumored that Kevin Sumlin will be fired at Texas A&M there could be 5 SEC schools looking for head coaches.
I'd say I'm shocked at Arkansas firing him, but that would be akin to me saying I'm shocked that an adult film star isn't a virgin. :lol::lol:

I'm honestly shocked that he lasted as long as he did there. They wanted him gone for a couple years now.

Come on now, folks. You know SEC football is a tough ticket regardless of the level of talent for each SEC school. Can't stub your toes too much in football in the SEC.

Meanwhile... we got some rivalries and some fairly decent regular season-ending matches. We got the big one coming up later today- Ohio State at Michigan. There's Clemson at South Carolina, the Iron Bowl (Alabama at Auburn), clean old fashioned hate (Georgia at Georgia Tech), and much more! To most people, weeks like this is why college football is so great. So be sure to enjoy all of the action to the max!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

THIS JUST IN...

Chip Kelly has signed on to be the new head coach of UCLA. C. Kelly's short list was UCLA and Florida. The Bruins pick up Kelly. During the South Florida at Central Florida game yesterday, I heard there were talks for the University of Florida to interview Charlie Strong in case Kelly didn't sign with Florida.

So uh, UCLA... get to know your new head coach.

That's all. If you care to share any musings on today's games, you're welcome to do so.

Rapid fire musings...

* This past week... DOWN GOES MIAMI and DOWN GOES ALABAMA!

* Kevin Sumlin out as Texas A&M head coach. Arizona State dumped their coach. Rice's coach here in Houston was let go.

College football. Got to love it. You know you do. :)

You're right. There are only two undefeated teams left in NCAA FBS- Wisconsin and Central Florida. One has to wonder where they will stand in the College Football Playoff rankings tomorrow night. Also consider the defeats of Alabama and Miami. I mean, I would at least consider UCF get some CFP love. I'd be happy even if Central Florida is one of the First Two Out rather than jump into the CFP top four. That is just something to think about in case Wisconsin and UCF remain unbeaten. If UCF finishes unbeaten and still don't make even the Top 6, that will trigger the desire to make the current four-team playoff format to be an eight-team playoff format.

But... we'll see what happens when the new rankings come out. And remember- don't wait on me to post about the CFP. Just chime in when you can.

We knew the deck was going to be shuffled after Alabama and Miami were downed. So what's the College Football Playoff rankings as of now? Here is the penultimate CFP rankings:

--- FIRST FOUR IN (Nov. 28, 2017) ---
1: Clemson
2: Auburn
3: Oklahoma
4: Wisconsin

--- FIRST TWO OUT (Nov. 28, 2017) ---
5: Alabama
6: Georgia

And... there you go. This week is mostly the time of Conference Championships. So we'll see who all will have the last laugh when the final College Football Playoff rankings are released. Oh, and did you notice the University of Central Florida isn't among this Top 6? UCF is what we like to call... unbeaten. Methinks this will be a catalyst for the CFP to eventually be an eight-team playoff as opposed to a four-team playoff. I think it will be an eight-team playoff eventually. I always thought that way.

Anyhow, what say you on these latest CFP rankings?

The problem for UCF is that many people have no clue it's a thing. Unbeaten outside the Power 5 is diluted because a lot of those teams don't play power 5 teams. Its not their fault...overly so anyway.

The coaching search that's going on at Tennessee right now is going to make one heck of an ESPN 30 for 30 someday.

Double post, but big news in the coaching carousel. Jimbo Fisher is reportedly resigning from his position at FSU so that he can take the job at Texas A&M.

Link here.

Yep. Texas A&M Aggie Nation- get to know your new football head coach, Mr. Jimbo Fisher. It is rather a stretch to say this is a National Championship move for TAMU. There are people are thinking this brings them closer to that level, though. I'm not buying it. This does help Texas A&M have a better chance at taking the national spotlight should the Aggies just go beast through the SEC.

On right now is the PAC-12 title game between Stanford and USCal. No score with about 10:45 left in the first quarter as of this post.

Are any of you watching the American Athletic Conference Championship Game? This game is nuts! Anyhow... here is a little THIS JUST IN...

It is reported that UCF coach Scott Frost has been named coach of Nebraska for next sesaon. So Cornhusker Nation, get to know your new head coach.

Heck of a defense put up by NDSU to (almost) shut out the Toreros.

On to Wofford College!

Tomorrow afternoon's final College Football Playoff rankings will be very interesting to watch. Strap in for that ride, folks!

Congratulations to all of this week's winners, including Conference Champions.

Who's in? That's the question asked since the CFP rankings were announced. We now know the four who will play for the National Championship in NCAA FBS level football. And they are...

--- FIRST FOUR IN (Dec. 3, 2017) ---
1.) Clemson
2.) Oklahoma
3.) Georgia
4.) Alabama

--- FIRST TWO OUT (Dec. 3, 2017) ---
5.) Ohio State
6.) Wisconsin

Yep. 'Bama. Twitter was none too happy with the Crimson Tide getting in when I searched for some CFP news. The Yahoo! Sports article I read noted that a one-loss team was favored over a two-loss conference champion. I read that Ohio State's beat down loss at Iowa was a key factor in the Buckeyes not getting CFP loving. It was feared the Big XII wouldn't get CFP recognition. Well, another Big was shut out- the Big Ten. No B1G in this season's playoff.

What say you about these final College Football Playoff rankings?

Here are all of the matchups for the New Year's 6:

(1) Clemson v. (4) Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (playoff game)
(2) Oklahoma v. (3) Georgia in the Rose Bowl (playoff game)
(5) Ohio State v. (8) USC in the Cotton Bowl
(6) Wisconsin v. (10) Miami, FL in the the Orange Bowl
(7) Auburn v. (12) UCF in the Peach Bowl
(9) Penn State v. (11) Washington in the Fiesta Bowl

I was surprised that Alabama clinched the final spot over Ohio State. The other three were well-deserved candidates, in my opinion. I would switch around 'Bama and OSU as well as Wisconsin and USC in terms of ranking, but everything else is where I would put it if I were the selection committee.

Good luck to all teams selected for a bowl game.

Wow, Alabama was number one for most of the year and ended up 4th, lol, and almost out of the playoffs, lol. It sucks that if you lose, you better lose in the beginning of the season, lol. :)

Back