Coming from GT Sport, having trouble enjoying PC2

• Thread starter OneGunner
  • 321 comments
While I feel pCARS2 is the better game all round (tracks and manufacturers certainly fair better) the one thing I miss from pCARS1 is the superior anti-aliasing. They had a temporal filter (?) slider in the options that would adjust motion blur etc. Was nice. The second game is terribly jaggy on my base PS4. My only real gripe.

EDIT:
I almost forgot. One thing that is far superior in the second game is the default car setups actually tend to be decent and driveable. Used to spend weeks in the first to tune a car so I like it. Far more cars in the second game I can jump in, make minor tweaks and then go have some fun. That's something I don't miss from pCARS1.
Thanks mate for your response. I run the game on my base Ps4 (as you) and I feel the same in terms on graphics. The anti-aliasing on pc2 is horrible.
I did not try many cars on pc1... just some GT3 and one Group A and feelings are very nice!

What's a tactile transducer lol?

It's used to reproduce sound which is below the threshold of hearing and therefore is felt not heard. Effects in PC1 were class leading - e.g. engine vibration, gearchange thumps etc. Use of tactile transducers is sometimes referred to as 4D gaming. For some people it's the next step after getting a wheel - if the effects are good it massively increases immersion / realism. Sadly the effects in PC2 are very poor compared with PC1.

Lotus 51 is the classic Formula Ford - the Indy Car is a Lotus 38.

It's used to reproduce sound which is below the threshold of hearing and therefore is felt not heard. Effects in PC1 were class leading - e.g. engine vibration, gearchange thumps etc. Use of tactile transducers is sometimes referred to as 4D gaming. For some people it's the next step after getting a wheel - if the effects are good it massively increases immersion / realism. Sadly the effects in PC2 are very poor compared with PC1.

Lotus 51 is the classic Formula Ford - the Indy Car is a Lotus 38.

I see, interesting. How much does this cost and can i use this on a ps4?
Ah ok the 38 yeah my memory not so good when tired.
Thanks.

Thanks mate for your response. I run the game on my base Ps4 (as you) and I feel the same in terms on graphics. The anti-aliasing on pc2 is horrible.
I did not try many cars on pc1... just some GT3 and one Group A and feelings are very nice!
I loved the Merc 190E in pc1 but could never get to grips with it in pc2, same for much of group A, which is annoying.

I loved the Merc 190E in pc1 but could never get to grips with it in pc2, same for much of group A, which is annoying.

Yeah me too. Group A was one of my favorite groups in PC1 but in PC2 I very rarely try it. The Ford is so strong it blows anything else away and, for me at least, if I try to drive the Ford it's so wild I can't make it a lap or two without wrecking it.

I m on ps4. Couple of years ago, i bought pcars 1 goty digital version (with all dlc’s). Then I bougth pcars 2 and the first version had been deleted from my console. During past year, I been playing gt sport, pcars2, assetto... but yesterday I installed pcars 1 again and ran some laps on Spa. Is it me or this 1 version is better than 2? - On terms of graphics, feelings, IA. I play the game on a logitech g29.

I think in cockpit view (guess helmet cam) with the motion blur is a lot better. Some other things might be better also, but been awhile since played. Trying to really give PC2 a solid try, like the car physics now. Still playing with other things to try and get it to looks as good as possible for myself.
All the down load car packages are pretty good with lots of historic race cars.

If the original is better, I'm going to buy it the second I get home
As such the original isn't better overall but it certainly has some worthy points.

Crisper and perhaps smoother running graphics but no live track effects. Most of the motion effects are the same.
More AI cars on most tracks. In some cases a lot more, 40+!
The handling model is good but it's been improved in PC2.
More beefier overall sound. It's more detailed now but has lost it's oomph.
FFB, well once you've got through all the settings (30+!) I thought it was pretty good.
Some different cars to try. Amongst others I miss the Aerials and why there's not a 250cc superkart in PC2 I'm not sure. That was a blast.

The menu system, while useable, is a little cumbersome and probably confusing at first (and second) glance.

Since you like PC2 it's certainly worth a try if you see it cheap. Just to see the development if nothing else. Although I'm sure you'll like the Aerial Atoms. :)

PS4 pro.

As such the original isn't better overall but it certainly has some worthy points.

Crisper and perhaps smoother running graphics but no live track effects. Most of the motion effects are the same.
FFB, well once you've got through all the settings (30+!) I thought it was pretty good.
Some different cars to try. Amongst others I miss the Aerials and why there's not a 250cc superkart in PC2 I'm not sure. That was a blast.

The menu system, while useable, is a little cumbersome and probably confusing at first (and second) glance.

Since you like PC2 it's certainly worth a try if you see it cheap. Just to see the development if nothing else. Although I'm sure you'll like the Aerial Atoms. :)

PS4 pro.
For fat/slim ps4 players, the gap between pc1 and pc2 graphics is bigger.
What do you mean with handling model?
I don’t understand which points made pc2 a better game overall. Please correct me if i m wrong but I didn’t find a good ffb config as of today. I m still dealing with it. I agree with you, live track gives 1 or 2 points above pc1... but if I have a free day, and want to run some laps to have fun, definitely i will choose pc1.

the gap between pc1 and pc2 graphics is bigger
Yes indeed, Live track and any extra changes have had a performance impact which will be highlighted more on the standard PS4.

Handling model / physics, call it what you will, I find is more refined on PC2. It was slightly more simplistic in the original which actually probably makes it better in some ways for some quick hot laps.

I really like the FFB on my G29, it feels good with most of the cars. But FFB is definitely a very personal thing. One setting doesn't necessarily suit someone else.

PC1 is still a good game but although PC2 has lost a few things the extra cars (groups), tracks, Live Track, enhanced physics and better menu system still gives it the edge for me.
(Oh and PC1 on a controller was, I believe, not that good of an experience.)

@Scaff - did you ever do one of your comparison videos between PC1 and 2? It would have been interesting to see the graphics side by side.

PS4 pro.
Could i ask you your ffb settings for pc1 good sir? Mostly i mean the general ffb settings. I dont know if you set different settings also for each car but for me that's a bit much tinkering.
I have a good feel in pc1 already for what i need when i start push a car to it's edge but not much detail. But I think that's just how pc1 is. And when it slides it's a little generic slide with not much detail.
Same in pc2 demo i feel when a car goes into a slide it feels like you just wait it to be over with not much feel, especially the lambo.
For car set-ups well i play around a little with them but not so much.

Edit: if i could ask you also do you feel like i read many others say that PC2 is close now to AC's feel? With cars feeling dancing on the edge at every bump and fighting for grip and to grab it back. I cant say i feel that so much in Pc2 demo even if its much more detailed than PC1 before it starts to slide too much.
Thanks for anymore info.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Could i ask you your ffb settings for pc1 good sir?
You could, but I'll have to check on them later since I don't think I've still got them written down anywhere.
I never really got into setting the feel for each car. That seemed to involve another 100+ menu options. :P

It's difficult to compare one game completely against another since they are... different. But I do find PC2 similar in feel to AC. I suppose similar in enjoyment might be more appropriate.
I prefer a lighter feel to my wheel which I think allows it to relay the more subtle effects more readily. With stronger to rotate (heavier) settings you can loose those effects and not appreciate the games "feel". However as I said, everyone likes their own thing.
(And if you've got a more powerful wheel it might well be different I expect.)

Oh and remember the full game is better than the demo. ;)

You could, but I'll have to check on them later since I don't think I've still got them written down anywhere.
I never really got into setting the feel for each car. That seemed to involve another 100+ menu options. :P

It's difficult to compare one game completely against another since they are... different. But I do find PC2 similar in feel to AC. I suppose similar in enjoyment might be more appropriate.
I prefer a lighter feel to my wheel which I think allows it to relay the more subtle effects more readily. With stronger to rotate (heavier) settings you can loose those effects and not appreciate the games "feel". However as I said, everyone likes their own thing.
(And if you've got a more powerful wheel it might well be different I expect.)

Oh and remember the full game is better than the demo. ;)

Yeah i do the same with my g29 and use light enough settings for more detail but still feel the weight and loss of grip coming.
I'm same for too much tinkering. Pc1 can be a headache with its obscure settings.
Thanks.

Between pc1 and 2.., just go for the sequel as the handling improved massively from one instalement to another. FFB is also better in pc2, but remember that ffb is not the same as physics. You have even more tracks too, and the weather is top knot. Porche and Ferrari was not in the first as well as lamborgini, and so many other reasons that make of pc2 the obvious choice over the first tittle.

Also, If graphics is your main concern then project cars 2 is not for you

I find, especially now that i like my settings, that even if the wet physics are often put down a little in Pcars 2, the ferrari in the demo actually feels great and more precise really compared to the lambo even if in the wet but i guess it's due to being a gt3 car compared to a street lambo. Plus i didn't try to firm up the set-up of the lambo yet.

Honestly i hate myself for getting Gtsport at full price even if it was already down to 40$, when i could have gotten Pcars2 for 26$ on discount in february. Especially that i need budget my expenses more now.

In race, Pcars 2 i feel looks better really. Just the spray of water in 3rd person looks bad a little when looking towards the front.

Last edited:
I find, especially now that i like my settings, that even if the wet physics are often put down a little in Pcars 2, the ferrari in the demo actually feels more precise and great feel really compared to the lambo even if in the wet but i guess it's due to being a gt3 car compared to a street lambo.

Have you seen any wet track footage of ACC lately? Watched a night race at Spa on YouTube and the guys can barely keep it on the track, aquaplaning all over the place. Very similar to PC2. Everybody complained that this was unrealistic yet we now have another game with very similar wet weather characteristics

Have you seen any wet track footage of ACC lately? Watched a night race at Spa on YouTube and the guys can barely keep it on the track, aquaplaning all over the place. Very similar to PC2. Everybody complained that this was unrealistic yet we now have another game with very similar wet weather characteristics

I see, well i didn't look carefully up to now because I'm on ps4.. But glad if it's a good sign for pcars2's wet handling since i intend to get it as soon as it's on a good discount again.
And in pc2 i just need lift off the gaz pedal it seems when go thru a puddle.
But the only thing though is you will rarely see a real race where that happens no?
I mean a race where many drivers lose control every lap. Maybe cause they just stop races before conditions get as bad as it does in pcars2 or Acc i dont know. I dont watch much races honestly. If so then maybe they would need lessen the severity of wet conditions in sims? Just wondering not mean that's what i feel they should do.

Last edited:
Just a quick question on PC2, how about calibrating wheel? Do you remember steering block values?
I don't do anything more than follow the on screen instructions, holding it at 900° when asked. I then let the game soft lock it if needed. Karts maybe.

Could i ask you your ffb settings for pc 1
As requested.
PROJECT__2.jpg
PROJECT__3.jpg
I think the tyre force could perhaps be lowered slightly. Maybe 55.

My PC2 settings are usually around 86/30/60/10

A point a number of people have made including myself.

The issue with PC2's wet surface isn't that it's unrealistic (as it pretty much is), its that the AI plays by different rules.

I see, well i didn't look carefully up to now because I'm on ps4.. But glad if it's a good sign for pcars2's wet handling since i intend to get it as soon as it's on a good discount again.
And in pc2 i just need lift off the gaz pedal it seems when go thru a puddle.
But the only thing though is you will rarely see a real race where that happens no?
I mean a race where many drivers lose control every lap. Maybe cause they just stop races before conditions get as bad as it does in pcars2 or Acc i dont know. I dont watch much races honestly. If so then maybe they would need lessen the severity of wet conditions in sims? Just wondering not mean that's what i feel they should do.
The issue is more than most people do not realise exactly how much slower you need to drive in heavy rain in the first instance, the second is that a lot more races in this day and age would be stopped. However it's not true to say that you don't see cars falling off the track left right and centre when it really bad in reality.

Suzuka in '76 was a well-known one:

As is 2009 Malaysian:

I don't do anything more than follow the on screen instructions, holding it at 900° when asked. I then let the game soft lock it if needed. Karts maybe.

As requested.
View attachment 816635 View attachment 816636 I think the tyre force could perhaps be lowered slightly. Maybe 55.

My PC2 settings are usually around 86/30/60/10
Thanks alot. Ill try it soon.
My pcars2 ffb setttings are near yours except for a higher fx for mine. I use immersive though. I dont know which u use. Will try it with lower fx maybe.
Edit: did try your pcars2 settings with immersive raw and informative. Well it feels lot better still with my settings for me. Here in case you would like try them:
20190424_120525_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Well it's a little uncommon i guess still in real. Thanks for vids Scaff.
I messaged you on youtube asking if you'd recommend TT Isle of man game for a sim and challenging games fan.
Cheers.
In all honesty, unless it's very cheap I would say no. The handling of the bikes (and the sidecars are worse) is very odd at times and overly sensitive, its certainly challenging, but not in a good way.

In all honesty, unless it's very cheap I would say no. The handling of the bikes (and the sidecars are worse) is very odd at times and overly sensitive, its certainly challenging, but not in a good way.

Well it's 24$ canadian i think. Ohh well too bad. I been so hoping for a sim like motorbike game. I have ride 1,it has nice enough gameplay but imagine somethng visceral and physical like Assetto corsa with bikes whew. That be crazy nice. With good sound too.
Also have driveclub, the bikes have nice sounds and i can see some physics under when do stunts but its arcade way too much. Too bad they didn't apply the hardcore mode to bikes like for cars. Even if it doesn't make it a detailed sim of course still.

Well it's 24$ canadian i think. Ohh well too bad. I been so hoping for a sim like motorbike game. I have ride 1,it has nice enough gameplay but imagine somethng visceral and physical like Assetto corsa with bikes whew. That be crazy nice. With good sound too.
Also have driveclub, the bikes have nice sounds and i can see some physics under when do stunts but its arcade way too much. Too bad they didn't apply the hardcore mode to bikes like for cars. Even if it doesn't make it a detailed sim of course still.
Ride 3 is going to be about the closest you will get in that regard.

Ride 3 is going to be about the closest you will get in that regard.

Yeah. I heard the feel is different to ride 1 and 2. And more like latest motogp i think. Makes me wonder if im better with ride 2 or 3. I didnt try motogp. Too bad the sounds arent so great. Also u don't feel the physicality so much like when accelerate shift etc. No clutch too.
Also i wish they would allow use of a wheel. It may sound silly to some but it's good for control and feel in driveclub with bikes. Makes it feel more realistic too.
At least allow use of the gyroscope in ds4 gamepad on ps4.
Driveclub u can even use the clutch pedal if i remember correctly.
Edit: to be back on topic, i tested again the Renault 3.5 indy in Pcars2 demo and it does feel great on my g29, the a.i. seem more fun too in that race. Hope soon for a discount.

Last edited:

PS4 pro.

The Ariel Atom V8 was an absolute beast, it was my favourite car in PC1.
It was fantastic fun around Bannoch Brae. - not sure if I spelled that right.

Yeah. I heard the feel is different to ride 1 and 2. And more like latest motogp i think. Makes me wonder if im better with ride 2 or 3. I didnt try motogp. Too bad the sounds arent so great. Also u don't feel the physicality so much like when accelerate shift etc. No clutch too.
Also i wish they would allow use of a wheel. It may sound silly to some but it's good for control and feel in driveclub with bikes. Makes it feel more realistic too.
At least allow use of the gyroscope in ds4 gamepad on ps4.
Driveclub u can even use the clutch pedal if i remember correctly.
Edit: to be back on topic, i tested again the Renault 3.5 indy in Pcars2 demo and it does feel great on my g29, the a.i. seem more fun too in that race. Hope soon for a discount.
The old skool trick is to strap a broom handle across your wheel ;) I know its not your thing but there is some fun to be had in crew 2 with the bikes and its always going on sale
The Crew® 2_cops.jpeg

Back