Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
Can you turn his ghost off? He gets in my view. I could do better without his ghost right on top of me.
Yes, up left on the menu you can manage his ghost. Or just bind a button of you wheel to the ghost. You can also set it 0,3 or 0,5s ahead to keep him in sight without the disturbance. That's what I did for Willow and Nurb GP.

I can't get the third corner right on Willow Springs. I seem to be turning in just a little bit too early, which compromises my line into the next corner. It's not easy to get it right, and hence why I'm unable to beat the time. If I get turns 3 and 4 right, I'll definitely beat the time.

I can't get the third corner right on Willow Springs. I seem to be turning in just a little bit too early, which compromises my line into the next corner. It's not easy to get it right, and hence why I'm unable to beat the time. If I get turns 3 and 4 right, I'll definitely beat the time.
This really helped :

And that's all the Diamond times beaten with a DualShock 4 controller!
Here's how I rank the tracks from 1 (most difficult) to 10 (least difficult), with my splits faster than the Diamond target times.
  1. Suzuka Circuit (-0.129 secs)
  2. Willow Springs International Raceway: Big Willow (-0.004 secs)
  3. Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit (-0.094 secs)
  4. Nürburgring GP (-0.042 secs)
  5. Dragon Trail - Seaside (-0.096 secs)
  6. Nürburgring Nordschleife (-1.423 secs)
  7. Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit (-0.020 secs)
  8. Autodrome Lago Maggiore - GP (-0.152 secs)
  9. Autódromo de Interlagos (-0.016 secs)
  10. Autodromo Nazionale Monza (-0.097 secs)

By the way, I found Nordschleife in the C9 quite easy once you set TC to 1. That makes 2nd gear usable and gains you a lot of time on LH out of the tighter corners.

If you know the track, that was definitely the easiest for me so far.

Yeah, Monza is by far the easiest, you can make 0.4s advantage just after the first chicane. He also has a slow exit after the second Lesmo and the Ascari.

I'm gonna concentrate now on Suzuka and Nurburgring GP because they seem to be the most difficult after Willow Srings.

Another 2 hours to get gold at Nurb. GP + 1 hour on Suzuka and 2 laps on Interlagos. That's all golds done and some victory laps in newly acquired 330 P4 :drool:

Time to go for the diamonds :scared:

Based on amount of time spent on getting golds the hard tracks for me are : Suzuka, Nurburging GP, Bathrust, Dragon Trail ( just the chicane really )

Willow wasn't that bad but getting diamond will most likely change my mind about that :scared:

All of these harder ( for me ) tracks have complex corners that flow into each other.

On easier tracks it's just brake, turn and go. On Suzuka or Nurburging GP though you need to think about the whole complex of corners while taking the lines - get the entry wrong and you lose so much time.

The hardest part of Nurburgring GP is the turn at the start of the second sector, I have no idea why I'm losing so much time there. If I brake too soon, I lose time, if I brake late I end up on the right side of the track which is a big no for the next turn.

Spent another 80 minutes getting from 1:11.670 to 1:11.450 at Willow

Just another 0.150 to go but that may take a solid extra few hours.

I think I can gain 0.050 in Turn 1, and then the rest of it for me is the Turn 3/4 complex.

Spent another 80 minutes getting from 1:11.670 to 1:11.450 at Willow

Just another 0.150 to go but that may take a solid extra few hours.

I think I can gain 0.050 in Turn 1, and then the rest of it for me is the Turn 3/4 complex.
If you're not already take a tight line through the final corner, you can take a tenth out of Hamilton there quite easily.

If you're not already take a tight line through the final corner, you can take a tenth out of Hamilton there quite easily.

Still braking at 150m but just turning more under braking and taking more speed towards the apex, but then getting a slower exit? Or are you advising something different

Because yeah, I currently take a wide line and try to get high apex speed and a good exit

Still braking at 150m but just turning more under braking and taking more speed towards the apex, but then getting a slower exit? Or are you advising something different

Because yeah, I currently take a wide line and try to get high apex speed and a good exit
It sounds like your line is similar to Hamilton's, I found that if you turn in earlier to hit the final part of the right-hander from the middle of the road instead of the far left you can get on the brakes later and gain more on the entry than you lose from the slow exit. I don't see any reason why it should be quicker than taking the normal racing line but it worked better for me.

On this lap I gained 7 hundredths on the ghost, with the normal line I was falling further back:

Sorry for spamming the replay again.

Here it is guys ! Just made it on Suzuka, and so got all diamonds. Found it even more difficult than Willow because there's no trick here.

Usually could gain 0,2s in the 1st sector but lost them already at the beginning of sector 2. I also lost at the hairpin although I regained at the reaccelaration. And then lost time again at the last braking for the chicane. Thought I'd never make it after hundred of kilometers (yeah, France here ;) )...

I was about to give up then I put Lewis' Ghost at +0,3s, then gave a last shot. I chased him all along the track, was ahead of his time till the half of sector 2, then lost slightly till the end. After the chicane I squeezed the wall on the right and beat him by 0,008s with a 1:58.500 !!

I literally cried in front of the screen :scared:

I had no issues with Mount Panorama with a 2:01.098, but I feel like I'm never going to beat the time at Willow Springs....:banghead:

Ok, after spending 1 hour to get final gold at Willow (as always with this track, I didn't know how I even got it - I've certainly done tidier laps which were slower :odd:), I'm now working on all diamond. Who knows if I will ever get diamond at Willow, but I'll save that last.

Nordschleife took me 3 tries to diamond (including getting gold on first try). This track is all about the rhythm, not pushing too hard and keeping the car on the road. There isn't really any one corner to focus on. I do at least one lap of the Nords a day with various cars so that probably helps. Then it's just a matter of keeping your average speed up. This is probably the only challenge that benefits from the "understeer update", so make use of your superior traction to Lewis'.

Next is Monza. Took me under 30 mins to diamond this one. Again this track is all about traction so make sure you maximise your exits from the 1st and 2nd chicane. My tip is to cut the first part of the chicane more than you think (you can pretty much get half the car over the orange kerbs), then straightline the second part. I was ahead after the 2nd chicane, then gradually dropped at Lesmos and Ascari to about the same as Lewis. Then nailed Parabolica to be just ahead in the end. For Parabolica you want to be patient on the throttle, about 25% until you see the orange bit on the fence on the inside, then go full throttle and use the whole track width.

Now I'm stuck at Interlagos for the past 3 days. I did 5-6 laps within 0.1 secs but can't seem to get ahead coming out of the last corner :( I'm usually ahead or level coming out of T5, but the understeer in the infield section just kills me :banghead: I watched every guide from SuperGT/Kie25/Hizal/Igor and tried to mimic their lines but Lewis still leaves me behind there. Tried cutting the 2 hairpins as much as possible, no difference. Albon corner is probably the worst for me, I have no idea how he gets such a good exit there. Tried both 2nd and 3rd gear. Last corner I took the same as Lewis but then up the hill his car just gradually inches forward, so unless I can build a gap before then I'm screwed. I'm at wits end here :(

Rest assured people, if you can't get diamond, you are a normal human being :P

P.S. I wish the leaderboard contain replays and ghosts we can download. If I try to mimic Hamilton, I'm gonna be slower than him. But if I try to mimic what the WR guy is doing, then I'll be slower than him but since WR is faster than Lewis I would probably juuuust pip him. Epic fail by PD for not recording the top replays.

Last edited:
And on the other side of the coin, here's a B-rated driver trying to chase Lewis.

GT back to it's infuriating, frustrating best!

That was me. Trying to nail just that first turn was Groundhog Day. Good grief!!! :irked:
Finally got gold and moved on. Thanks for sharing the video.

Ok, after spending 1 hour to get final gold at Willow (as always with this track, I didn't know how I even got it - I've certainly done tidier laps which were slower :odd:), I'm now working on all diamond. Who knows if I will ever get diamond at Willow, but I'll save that last.

Nordschleife took me 3 tries to diamond (including getting gold on first try). This track is all about the rhythm, not pushing too hard and keeping the car on the road. There isn't really any one corner to focus on. I do at least one lap of the Nords a day with various cars so that probably helps. Then it's just a matter of keeping your average speed up. This is probably the only challenge that benefits from the "understeer update", so make use of your superior traction to Lewis'.

Next is Monza. Took me under 30 mins to diamond this one. Again this track is all about traction so make sure you maximise your exits from the 1st and 2nd chicane. My tip is to cut the first part of the chicane more than you think (you can pretty much get half the car over the orange kerbs), then straightline the second part. I was ahead after the 2nd chicane, then gradually dropped at Lesmos and Ascari to about the same as Lewis. Then nailed Parabolica to be just ahead in the end. For Parabolica you want to be patient on the throttle, about 25% until you see the orange bit on the fence on the inside, then go full throttle and use the whole track width.

Now I'm stuck at Interlagos for the past 3 days. I did 5-6 laps within 0.1 secs but can't seem to get ahead coming out of the last corner :( I'm usually ahead or level coming out of T5, but the understeer in the infield section just kills me :banghead: I watched every guide from SuperGT/Kie25/Hizal/Igor and tried to mimic their lines but Lewis still leaves me behind there. Tried cutting the 2 hairpins as much as possible, no difference. Albon corner is probably the worst for me, I have no idea how he gets such a good exit there. Tried both 2nd and 3rd gear. Last corner I took the same as Lewis but then up the hill his car just gradually inches forward, so unless I can build a gap before then I'm screwed. I'm at wits end here :(

Rest assured people, if you can't get diamond, you are a normal human being :P

P.S. I wish the leaderboard contain replays and ghosts we can download. If I try to mimic Hamilton, I'm gonna be slower than him. But if I try to mimic what the WR guy is doing, then I'll be slower than him but since WR is faster than Lewis I would probably juuuust pip him. Epic fail by PD for not recording the top replays.
No ghosts for WR in LH DLC...

And, here's my Suzuka attempt for diamond:

The problem I find is that the AMG GT3 is ****ing terrible. It understeers like an absolute pig. I've driven about 300 miles so far on Dragon Tail to try and get diamond and I'm still .4 slower, despite invariably being .3 ahead by the end of sector 1. Copy and paste for Interlagos. And Maggiore, except it's sector 1 where I lose all my time. And Hamilton's little comment when you set a gold or silver time makes me want to chuck my DS4 at the telly. I haven't even tried Suzuka or Panorama yet, given that I'm normally pants at those anyway without having to contend with a car I despite with every fibre of my being.

LN4
The problem I find is that the AMG GT3 is ****ing terrible. It understeers like an absolute pig. I've driven about 300 miles so far on Dragon Tail to try and get diamond and I'm still .4 slower, despite invariably being .3 ahead by the end of sector 1. Copy and paste for Interlagos. And Maggiore, except it's sector 1 where I lose all my time. And Hamilton's little comment when you set a gold or silver time makes me want to chuck my DS4 at the telly. I haven't even tried Suzuka or Panorama yet, given that I'm normally pants at those anyway without having to contend with a car I despite with every fibre of my being.

ah yes the car is the problem even though Hamilton is using the same car (with minor potential physics differences but still the same car)

If you're losing time in Sector 2 and 3 at Dragon Trail, it means your line through the esses or chicane is likely not ideal, along with maybe braking too early for the hairpins

The Nurb GP has been my toughest test yet. One of my top 5 tracks but this Merc won't turn in like LH. Finally got thru T1, T2, and T3 with LH but cant get the hard righthander with any good power. The rest of the lap is good but that one frickin' corner is :banghead:.

I'm a DR B that hasn't gone past 25k with 422 races completed. Golded the first 8 tracks in about 1 hour max. I am actually shocked because my TT times have never been that good. Chasing LH really helped me push harder and drive smarter.

This a great dlc to learn brakes and steering without cranking the wheel all the way to get turn in. That said, my G29 brake pedal needs the mod springs because my bungy cord isn't giving enough resistance.
20191207_074807.jpg

For those who are having trouble with Willow, i find some advice that helped me to get Diamond.

Before, on turns 2 and 9, I was driving the car quite aggressively. My driving inputs were always on edge, as in the image below:

PS: Im trying to figure out how to post the images on these, instead sending a link, which I think is not allowed here. Can anyone help me?

After watching some guides on Youtube (mainly from Kie25 and Nik_Makozi) I noticed that in these specific corners they didn't force the car to turn as much i was doing... like this:

I started putting this into practice on these corners and today, after 800km, I managed to beat Lewis's time (1.11.190).

I hope that tip can help some of you guys, because taking Diamond on Willow its not a easy task and i had a lot of troubles to get this one right.

PS2: Sorry for any english mistakes :)

Cheers

Last edited:
I've been struggling with Nurburgring GP these past two days... I can barely consistently get bellow 1:56, and once I have somehow got 1:55.626. I have no idea where to find those 2.5 tenths...

Back