You might be right. I'm not a pro. I learned how to "gold" each test but I'm not sure how much skill I gained in the process. There is a fine line between a challenging test and a frustrating test. These were challenging but doable by memorizing the A.I. movements.
I learned how to control the car using an atypical line through certain turns. The goal is to get past the other driver, not take the fastest line through a turn. For each turn, I had to try different lines until i found one that worked. When the A.I. wasn't directly in front of me, I had to revert back to using the fastest line possible to play catchup. The frustrating part comes when you have trouble passing the last car but you need a perfect lap of passing 11 other cars before you can try it again. A rewind function for "practice" would be great. When you fail, rewind and try it again until you succeed. When you feel confident with it, go back to the beginning and run a clean lap to get the trophy.
The reason I don't see this as an acquired skill is because in a real race you have several laps to pass cars and you often linger behind opponents until you get the right opportunity. You would never be expected to go from last to first in one lap making passes on turns that don't really have safe passing zones. On top of that, it is unlikely that you will have significantly better tires that allow you to take an outside line at double the speed of your opponent...unless you are a D.P. driver overtaking G.T. racers in a grand-am race.
this is the funniest ting ive ever heard. im sitting in the library at school inbetween classes and i literally just laughed out loud and everyone looked at me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
+1 on the GT-One around Monaco. That was the most fulfilling gold I have ever won and have played the game since GT1. License tests meant something back then