Conundrum - lead to cost analysis

• Thread starter Lawndart
  • 168 comments
Maybe to little interest to anyone, but i got gifted a ps4 players pack (the one with driveclub [man how bad of a racing game it is after GT6!?] Little big Planet and The Last of Us remastered), this means one only path to Project Cars... I guess the over 600$ i'll save in pc building can in time go to a more serious wheel than my DFGT.

What are the currently viable options for ps4 wheels (that are not a downgrade from DFGT)? Also has any user had the chance to try the Ps4 version with a wheel? I saw a few vids of people playing ps4 version but with pad only...

Maybe to little interest to anyone, but i got gifted a ps4 players pack (the one with driveclub [man how bad of a racing game it is after GT6!?] Little big Planet and The Last of Us remastered), this means one only path to Project Cars... I guess the over 600$ i'll save in pc building can in time go to a more serious wheel than my DFGT.

What are the currently viable options for ps4 wheels (that are not a downgrade from DFGT)? Also has any user had the chance to try the Ps4 version with a wheel? I saw a few vids of people playing ps4 version but with pad only...
So far it's Thrustmaster all the way and the T100 [note: only 270 degrees of rotation] is probably roughly equivalent to the DFGT although it has no sequential shifter. Next step up is the T300, it has only 2 pedals and they're fairly cheap. It's quite a step in price and by all the anecdotal reports I've read, it's got a whole heap of issues with the first production run. If you want a TM + clutch and shifter, you're looking at more than $600 unless you find a used G27 pedal and/or shifter to adapt.

On the PC of course the field is wide open and the $200 G27 works just fine.

Last edited:
If I could get a top end PC for £5-600 I'd find it very difficult to turn it down. I think £800-£1000 is a bit excessive. I'm assuming you don't need a monitor, ie you can HDMI straight to a TV.

If I could get a top end PC for £5-600 I'd find it very difficult to turn it down. I think £800-£1000 is a bit excessive. I'm assuming you don't need a monitor, ie you can HDMI straight to a TV.
Yes, HDMI works assuming you have an HDMI out from your PC.

T100 is only 270 degrees rotation wheel but has ffb. It's a small downgrade from a dfgt but is an option on a tight budget.

The T300rs (approx £250) is a huge step up in performance from a dfgt. It has pedals that are a bit better than a dfgt although I upgraded mine to the t3pa set and 8 way shifter but isn't essential. I have had no problem with the wheel but my upgraded brake pedal failed. They have been successfully (so far) replaced for free. On it's own the wheel is excellent. The upgrades were a luxury but I'm happy.

Last edited:
250£ i guess is around 300Euros, urgh. It'll hard to upgrade... Maybe if i manage to sel my DFGT to someone io might think about it

I now have everything but the GPU and CPU. Will be getting the CPU this coming Tuesday. The GPU may have to wait an extra month or two.

Well fellas, I am about to jump headlong onto the PCars (and AC) train. I plan to be up and running by Spring, if all goes according to plan.

Currently I have a PS3, DFTG w/ Wheel Stand Pro and a 42" tv...all for GT6.

Since the DFGT will work for PC and PCars, I can simply keep it. I plan to get a G27 or another wheel to pair with it for two player action. I'm hopeful the T500rs goes back down to $400 like it did for Thanksgiving. But we'll see on that.

Now I just need to build the pc to run it. I'd like to keep my PC budget around the $1000 mark as that seems to be sweet spot. I have access to a great deal on an i7...and if I get that, I'll get the GTX 980...or like card when Spring rolls around.

I am unsure on how the multi-tv setups work. I assume it is ideal for all three to be the same size. Is there a sweet spot size for them? 32"? 37"? 40"? Bigger?

Well fellas, I am about to jump headlong onto the PCars (and AC) train. I plan to be up and running by Spring, if all goes according to plan.

Currently I have a PS3, DFTG w/ Wheel Stand Pro and a 42" tv...all for GT6.

Since the DFGT will work for PC and PCars, I can simply keep it. I plan to get a G27 or another wheel to pair with it for two player action. I'm hopeful the T500rs goes back down to $400 like it did for Thanksgiving. But we'll see on that.

Now I just need to build the pc to run it. I'd like to keep my PC budget around the $1000 mark as that seems to be sweet spot. I have access to a great deal on an i7...and if I get that, I'll get the GTX 980...or like card when Spring rolls around.

I am unsure on how the multi-tv setups work. I assume it is ideal for all three to be the same size. Is there a sweet spot size for them? 32"? 37"? 40"? Bigger?
3x32" is 8 feet:eek: If you have the room that's great.

There's not a lot of difference between a 970 and a 980 IMO to justify the extra cost, but if money is no object by all means. You'd have to consult with some PCars members about what is required for triple screens as I imagine it's going to take some pretty good GPU power to do it in 1080p with high to ultra settings if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

3x32" is 8 feet:eek: If you have the room that's great.

There's not a lot of difference between a 970 and a 980 IMO to justify the extra cost, but if money is no object by all means. You'd have to consult with some PCars members about what is required for triple screens as I imagine it's going to take some pretty good GPU power to do it in 1080p with high to ultra settings if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
I have a corner of my bonus room which is currently used for the TV. Angling them makes it a lot less obtrusive. Shouldn't be too huge a problem. I wouldn't want to hard mount the TVs because I would like the flexibility of using them to watch for regular TV, but I have no idea, really, on the logistics of it all. My wheel/seat combo will be portable.

Money or space isn't a huge constraint. I just want a place to fully enjoy the PC racing world while allowing for other uses.

I have a corner of my bonus room which is currently used for the TV. Angling them makes it a lot less obtrusive. Shouldn't be too huge a problem. I wouldn't want to hard mount the TVs because I would like the flexibility of using them to watch for regular TV, but I have no idea, really, on the logistics of it all. My wheel/seat combo will be portable.

Money or space isn't a huge constraint. I just want a place to fully enjoy the PC racing world while allowing for other uses.
Sounds like you need to do some research. Part of this is definitely a hardware setup challenge and I'd suggest scoping out the Hardware Forum as well.

Just off the top of my head, monitors are relatively cheap these days so one thing you might want to consider is hardmounting some smaller monitors like 32" or less and then hardmounting a tv monitor for regular viewing above that in the corner of the room. You can still leave the wheel/seat as portable and shove it out of the way, but it would allow you to watch tv on a bigger screen without having to buy 3 of them. I don't know about you but I can't watch tv on a 32" screen for very long unless I'm right in front of it. :crazy:

I've been doing exactly this.
Currently at:
Xbox One: 350 + 300 for a wheel = 650
(And you have to live in fear of these wheel reviews - ) Yikes!!!
PS4: 400 + 400 for a wheel = 800 (And isn't that pretty much the same wheel as the Xbox? But the reviews are WAAAY better, so I guess it's better )
Gaming PC that will run Pcars and other PC goodies: 600-1K (I have a wheel, mouse, keyboard, and TV to use already)

The catch is that I don't know **** about PC's, so diving into that world is potentially dangerously costly for me if I do something stupid.

The catch is that I don't know **** about PC's, so diving into that world is potentially dangerously costly for me if I do something stupid.

The most I had ever done in my PC's (before assembling my own) were changing out a fan, adding ram and swapping graphics cards and wireless adapters.

If you grew up with LEGO's or any kind of assembling-toys, PC building will come naturally. When I finished mine I sat there thinking, "Wait... wait.. am I done? Is... is that it? Really? What was I so scared about?"

Everything you might be afraid of is covered a dozen times over online via YouTube. The hardest part I learned was the software side. Moving files from an old PC to a new one turned out to not be the walk in the park I was expecting (but as long as you don't repeat my mistakes and research the do's and don'ts before you go moving things you should be fine).

Had a small upgrade to my system

It was............

Intel Core i7 3770K @3.50ghz
8gb dual layer memory
Nivida GeForce GT 640 , Core 324Mhz , Memory 324 mhz , Size 2048 mb
750 Watt PSU

Now it's

Intel Core i7 3770K @3.50ghz
8gb dual layer memory
Nividia GeForce GTX 660 , 1045 Mhz , Memory 6008 Mhz , 2048 mb and I have 4096 mb in Total of Available Graphics Memory

Hopefully that'll be enough..............:dunce:

I'd like to know the performance on this too, as I have the same setup apart from a GTX 670 that i assembled 2 years ago. I saw a lot of videos of pCars running on similar specs but the builds were ancient. So I'm leaning towards the PS4 at the moment despite the multiplayer limitations.

I'd like to know the performance on this too, as I have the same setup apart from a GTX 670 that i assembled 2 years ago. I saw a lot of videos of pCars running on similar specs but the builds were ancient. So I'm leaning towards the PS4 at the moment despite the multiplayer limitations.

I did order the game for the PS4 , but changed my mind when I worked out how much it would cost me to replace the Wheel and Pedals , i'm hoping the GTX 660 will be good enough to do the job .

Just made the commitment to move back to PC after nearly 10 years of console gaming.

Given that the G27 that I bought brand new with the launch of GT6 will not be supported I did the same calculations as the OP. In my case, since I used to build PCs for a living, I was able to purchase the parts and build it myself.

New wheel and new PS4 would have run me nearly $1K. By going the PC route and continuing with my G27, I was able to get up and running for just under $400.

The new rig is not super high-end, but it allows for growth. I went the AMD route to reduce costs a bit more.

Motherboard is AM3+ socket based, and it supports the entire AMD FX series of processors. To start I have the AMD FX 4300, 4GB RAM (supports up to 32GB), 1TB HDD and nVidia GT630 2GB card.

According to the posted requirements this gives me mid-range CPU, minimum spec RAM and Recommended Video card as well as somewhat "future proof" by PC standards.

OS is Win7 Pro 64bit.

The other factor that weighed into the decision is the available "add-ons", such as using my old Android phone as a dash and my tablet/laptop for live telemetry. Neither of these are currently available on consoles.

All I need now is for the game to actually launch......

Back