Conundrum - lead to cost analysis

• Thread starter Lawndart
  • 168 comments
External hard drive, but would this work?

I have a 1Tb HDD, and it's 4/5 full after a year. 0.5Tb is going to disappear. An external HDD would work, but would be too slow in terms of data transfer rates unless you use E-SATA, in which case why not have a second internal HDD? IIRC, RAM needs to be accessed in banks of two, so you'll need 2x4Gb, not 1x8Gb RAM. You may also need a pair of tin snips to cut away the internal drive bay so your graphics card can fit. They cost about £10 from B&Q.

what do you guys this of this set up?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FTqwCJ

and in the future add a 2nd video card for 3 monitors

Nothing wrong with that, maybe a bit overkill with the PSU. Look at a silver or gold PSU, or a high-grade modular Bronze, and then spend the extra money on a more powerful graphics card (not that there's anything wrong with yours at the moment).

I have a 1Tb HDD, and it's 4/5 full after a year. 0.5Tb is going to disappear. An external HDD would work, but would be too slow in terms of data transfer rates unless you use E-SATA, in which case why not have a second internal HDD? IIRC, RAM needs to be accessed in banks of two, so you'll need 2x4Gb, not 1x8Gb RAM. You may also need a pair of tin snips to cut away the internal drive bay so your graphics card can fit. They cost about £10 from B&Q.
Reworking the plan, my friend said I may need an i5 CPU instead of an i3

Last edited:
I would recommend an i5, the i3 would get swamped. If you need the extra money for the i5, consider an ATi GPU. They're much quicker on pCARS now than they once were.

@ Myles Prower : Shows that you can get a gaming PC for a very fair price! As Silva says, go for the i5. I'd also get a GTX 760 instead, at practically the same price, or stretch to a GTX 770 (prices here, benchmarks here)

@ nickca2 : Another GPU stretch suggestion, seeing as you're not on a tight budget, at least a GTX 770, but how about a GTX 970, you're close in price already.

I know, it's easy to say, but a stronger GPU for a modest extra outlay is the thing I'd really recommend. The price increase for significantly better performance isn't that big nowadays. Another £/$ 50 will give you a good bit extra fps and/or image quality and ensure longevity... Say a 5%-10% increase in system price might give you a 15%-40% increase in graphics performance if you pick the right card.

Last edited:
^ Ah, in that case I reckon a 660 will give you a very playable setup. Unless you've placed the order, please consider an i5. Then again, this is a PC so you can of course upgrade at any time :)

Granted, but why throw money away by buying an i3 then an i5? Just buy an i5 in the first place, it's not that much more.

This is what I love about them they suit you instead of you having to suit them and I've never been too much of a graphics guy, it will be a long time before I place that order by the way something for next year probably.

If it's for next year, definitely save up for a quad core i5, the physics engine will thank you for it. And that 660 to 760 step is 10 pounds or something. Well, you have some time time to think about it... (we just want you to have the best possible experience within a reasonable budget! :dopey:).

I'm debating on getting a PS4 for PCARS or building a PC specifically for it. I don't have space for a wheel in my living room so would be using the dual shock PS3 controller. Looking at this thread it seems I would need to spend at least $600 to get 1080p and 60FPS at high or ultra settings? I would be using my HDTV via HDMI port.

All in I was hoping to spend $400-$500 (with OS and keyboard) and still run at max settings, any lower graphics quality and I might as well get the PS4. Is this even doable?

Looking online I saw this build for around my price range but have no clue if it can run PCARS on max:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 View
MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ View
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 View
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB View
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250 GB View
CASE: Rosewill Dual Fans View
PSU: Antec VP-450W View
ODD: Samsung 24x SATA View

Appreciate any input, I was all set on going the PS4 route but now I'm wondering if building a budget PC will give me a big jump in graphics performance.

I'm debating on getting a PS4 for PCARS or building a PC specifically for it. I don't have space for a wheel in my living room so would be using the dual shock PS3 controller. Looking at this thread it seems I would need to spend at least $600 to get 1080p and 60FPS at high or ultra settings? I would be using my HDTV via HDMI port.

All in I was hoping to spend $400-$500 (with OS and keyboard) and still run at max settings, any lower graphics quality and I might as well get the PS4. Is this even doable?

Looking online I saw this build for around my price range but have no clue if it can run PCARS on max:

Appreciate any input, I was all set on going the PS4 route but now I'm wondering if building a budget PC will give me a big jump in graphics performance.

I have a PS4. From what I've gleaned you "might" be better with a PS4 than a PC on that budget.

The PS4 comes with a DS4 controller which is much better for use for driving than the old DS3 which was dreadful in my opinion. I can only say that based on the games Driveclub and NFS Rivals (ugh) the controller is much more precise and I don't get cramps holding for extended periods. I am used to a DFGT wheel but have a Thrustmaster T300rs plus upgraded shifter and pedals on order. However because of the improvements made to the PlayStation controller I'm actually not worried about the days I can't be bothered to set the wheel up.

Not necessarily relevant but Driveclub looks great on PS4. If Project Cars reaches that sort of graphical level I'll be very happy. On my limited PC I'm used to Gtr2 on high and Game Stock Car Extreme on lower levels so will be easily impressed by new fangled wizardry.

Good luck.

...Not necessarily relevant but Driveclub looks great on PS4. If Project Cars reaches that sort of graphical level I'll be very happy...
We must remember that Project CARS runs at twice the framerate and spends quite a bit of processing power on the physics. Considering this, and on an absolute scale as well, it looks very good IMO.

Don't expect 19.000 pink flamingos (yes that's a touted DC 'feature') and smoke grenades and water jets along every track. The graphics are focused on recreating realistic race conditions and environments.

...just trying to assist in keeping expectations realistic :)

PS4 has better GPU than that GTX 750.

Yeah it was probably wishful thinking, I'm probably better off getting a PS4. I just don't want to spend more than $500 at this time. Looking at all the PC screenshots of the game was the main motivator! I'll probably be happy with the PS4 graphics coming from PS3 and GT6.

After learning that Pcars won't support Fanatec on the ps4, and wanting to preorder Pcars, I was forced to rethink my near future gaming platform so I did a cost comparison.

Currently I have 2 of nearly everything Fanatec has made, half I bought, the other inherited as in a game developer. So I set out to do a very quick cost analysis vs quality of experience.

To continue racing games on console (this really could be either xbox or ps4) I would need to buy a console, and a new inferior wheel.

That's about 900 with tax and technically a large step backwards in in peripherals quality. And that doubles if I want to play racing games on both Xbox and ps4... Many of you have thought about this and are likely just as frustrated.

So for the full console experience across both platforms I'm looking at about 1800...

But there is now a wild card, Pcars is on PC, along with other racers I could explore, PC games are supported by mods, and I used to be a big PC gamer... So I priced out this wild-card... And I came up with 2 results, base and splurge;

Base:
New box, i5 with SSD and 8 Meg's ram, recycling my Titan black (huge savings)
650 for top self and I'm enjoying Pcars, iracing, asseta corsa, etc...

Splurge:
But what if I splurged using 1900 as my budget? Then add;
Triple screen, basher box, tablet secondary screens (software), a year of iracing... All together? 1400ish...

Now I have 2 of everything (wheels and peddles), even spare chassis... So I could do two full side by side setups for double the base price... And charge the neighborhood kids to play! (Lol no!)

So by no longer limiting myself to GT and Forza, recycling my peripherals as they are better than anything new anyway, I'm opening up a new world! And it will be years before I need to think about GT 7 (because it will be years before its "done" even if released early)... So Pcars is a liberator!... What a strange statement.

Is anyone else in this same boat? The cost analysts alone is saying go back to PC...

But there is a cheat in here, I do get my video cards for free and a Titan X or Black is over kill, and does cut 1k from the PC side but the math still works, just the margins are much closer and you need to think of the additional product offerings... But if your doing the same math then downgrade to a gtx 770 or less, plenty strong enough to power your PC sims, and with Pcars able to simship on console they likely have pretty clean and efficient rendering code...

It's still a struggle to shift platforms but the reality can't be ignored and with any cheap laptop I can simply stream any game from steam (Pcars can be added to steam even if not released on steam) to wherever I want to set up my chassis...

Anyone else have suggestions or more efficacy approaches? Or simply in the same boat of refusing to let go of your existing peripheral setups?

So what you are saying is for your situation since you get nice video cards for free, it's cost effective to play on pc. Where as for the rest of us, it's cheaper to play on our single screen tv's with a console. Everyone already knows that.

I would argue that Fanatec wheels are no better or worse than the competitors; they chose the absolute cheapest and worst motors :yuck:

Jerome

We must remember that Project CARS runs at twice the framerate and spends quite a bit of processing power on the physics. Considering this, and on an absolute scale as well, it looks very good IMO.

Don't expect 19.000 pink flamingos (yes that's a touted DC 'feature') and smoke grenades and water jets along every track. The graphics are focused on recreating realistic race conditions and environments.

...just trying to assist in keeping expectations realistic :)

I certainly want the cars and tracks to look realistic rather than extra ticker-tates, flowers and flying haggis. 60fps much better.

I've just found this thing, the Steam Machines have been a bit quiet for a while, this looks good for £350/$500

For $50 more there is also the AlienWare Alpha and the Cyberpower Syber Steam Machine

Last edited:
Wow looks a cool item. Maybe hassle free gaming. But will it run pCars, that's the question?

Aslo to all gaming pc ers out there. Do you use antivirus and other security programs on a gaming machine like a std media/work desktop? Norton/McAfee etc?

Sorry for such a noob question. Not pc wise/

But will it run pCars, that's the question?
Well they have good stuff compaired to the X1 and PS4, the Syber has the same graphics card as my planned PC build!(R9 270 graphics card) Plus PCARS is on Steam anyway

Last edited:
Wow looks a cool item. Maybe hassle free gaming. But will it run pCars, that's the question?

Aslo to all gaming pc ers out there. Do you use antivirus and other security programs on a gaming machine like a std media/work desktop? Norton/McAfee etc?

Sorry for such a noob question. Not pc wise/
Based on the GPU's I saw in the specs for the Alienware Alpha, I'd say you're gonna have a hard time running PCars on anything but low to medium settings and it may struggle with framerates online or in heavy traffic offline. Some of the other Steam machines might be better I don't know. I'd spend a bit more and get a good PC instead.

If you're using your gaming PC online, yes you need some anti-virus software. You can pay for Norton or McAfee or go the free route with Avira, which I've used for years and never had an issue.

Last edited:
Started purchasing the first parts of my PC yesterday, only to have my case arrive today, and the rest are on the way for tomorrow! This despite free-shipping! Awesome! Exclamation Point!

Went with a Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Heard nothing but good things about the case, I love the look, love the features and am looking forward to a smooth build with it.

Samsung's SSD's have also dropped in price quite dramatically recently, so I got a 250GB version as it was only $3-4 more expensive than a Crucial MX100. The PSU and CD drive round out the last purchases.

I'm gonna wait to order my MoBo and RAM until the end of this month, maybe next month. I'll also pick up the CPU as well if the funds allow. Might see what I can get on Cyber Monday.

Still not sure on what GPU and CPU to get, though.

Yeah it was probably wishful thinking, I'm probably better off getting a PS4. I just don't want to spend more than $500 at this time. Looking at all the PC screenshots of the game was the main motivator! I'll probably be happy with the PS4 graphics coming from PS3 and GT6.
At moment my PC I built cost around £550 which equates to an $ 800 ish build I believe. At the moment it's looking like many of the console games won't run on my PC due my amd fx 6300 not being fast enough. Nor will my 270x oc 2gb gpu. At moment it's looks like the ports will be bad for a while. So my recommendation is buy intel and buy a powerful one ( i7 ) VRAM 3gbs or more.
Otherwise you'll end up like me wandering can I actually run it.

Update. My PC is built and installed and I'm in the process of installing software, tuning, discovering how everything works etc. I overbuilt in anticipation of having to upgrade at least the GPU if necessary, and the potential for overclocking is there as well if need be. These are my final specs if anyone is interested:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JohnnyPenso/saved/M8h2FT

upload_2014-11-12_7-31-36.png

Wow what specs!? Estimate is 4x ps4 + new wheel? /jk

Seriously how much did it went for? I imagine you aim for 60fps at 1080p ultra quality?

Wow what specs!? Estimate is 4x ps4 + new wheel? /jk

Seriously how much did it went for? I imagine you aim for 60fps at 1080p ultra quality?

PS4+T300+tax is over $CDN1000. This was less than double. Basically the cost of parts +$100 + tax + a couple of service calls:sly: I am hoping it lasts a few years with some easy upgrades.

How does this look for running pCARS?
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=83-220-798

I'm not looking to run ultra settings - just medium/high. It's a little more than I'd like to spend but what do you all think?
I believe this is your link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798&Tpk=83-220-798

It looks to be a decent mid-range system. However, for less than $200 more you'll get nearly double the performance and you should be able to pretty much max out the settings with this GTX970 + i7 combo and it comes with an SSD:eek::
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1879876

For a couple hundred more this little beauty comes with an overclockable i7 (4.0 GHz stock:eek:) and a 250 gb SSD along with the GTX 970 card. The power supply might be a little on the small side however with only 500W.

Don't forget the next version of PCars and other PC games will be more demanding, so your mid-range system today, will be low range in a couple of years so the extra $200 you spend today on a much better system will save you big bucks down the line and last you probably twice as long.

Back