Weight: 2555 kg
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Drivetrain: FR, F-4WD
2003_chevrolet_avalanche_crew-cab-pickup_1500_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

avalanche-z66.jpg

sddefault.jpg

img-1-600x400.jpg

CAB30CHT322A0314

When I was a little kid these things were everywhere and I loved them, because I loved any car that looked different from other cars. The Avalanche had "favorite car" company with bangers like the PT Cruiser, New Beetle, Hummer, SSR, and '00s Mini Cooper. Nowadays though, I don't know what to think. It's some sort of halfway point between a Silverado and a Tahoe, with some cool features (like the removeable panel between the interior and bed). The styling is full-on "2000s tough," enough to make the Aztek blush, although this one pulls it off much better. Probably by virtue of actually being a truck-shaped vehicle. That's not to say it looks great though, it's uglier and far more dated (on the outside at least) than it's Silverado or Tahoe/Suburban platform mates. I don't hate it cause nostalgia is a bitch but I know it isn't cool. Not for another few decades until my generation's nostalgia dominates all, at least.

I was around these a lot growing up too. Seeing them around, being in them and so on. My friend's parents even still have theirs and it's still running. But they aren't cool obviously so I think I'll give it a meh.

It spawned the bizarre mistake that was the Escalade EXT. Automatic Seriously Uncool just for that.

I won't even comment on how poorly all that matte plastic cladding fared after a couple years of expoure to direct sunlight and winter weather, except to say that if you ever wanted to see what the automotive equivalent of a skin disease looks like, this is the prime example of it.

My brother calls this and its Cadillac counterpart as a "house shoe." While I never hated the Avalanche, I was never entirely into it either. Here's a somewhat unpopular opinion- I think the first-generation Honda Ridgeline looks better than this Chevrolet Avalanche, even if the Avalanche could run circles around the first-gen Ridgeline. I can see the versatility and such of the Avalanche. It has a cool factor, but not much of it to actually call it "Cool." So instead, Uncool is my final call. I could have said "Seriously Uncool," but I am giving it some respect.

"What a pickup truck needs, is some Pontiac Aztek"* - said no one ever. Uncool.

* You may not agree with me over the Aztek-ness and that's fine but to my eyes I can see influences.

Obscenely large V8 and mucho plastic cladding? Hmm. It shouldn't be cool, but it is a little bit, not as cool as a Citroën Cactus though.
It's too distinct to be meh, so a plain Cool.

Back