Course Maker: how big is it and when can we expect it?

• Thread starter kogunenjou
  • 519 comments
Err... I know that at first blush this idea is pretty cool, but in my experience, some tracks just don't work in reverse. I really wasn't impressed with Codies' decision to reverse Spa, Indy Infield and a couple of other tracks in GRID. Of course it does in essence double the track count, but I'm just sayin', some require aspirin.

Yes, tracks are different beasts in reverse. And many times that is the bonus challenge. (shrug) We shall see. (I'd still like to at least try..... ;)

Yes, tracks are different beasts in reverse. And many times that is the bonus challenge. (shrug) We shall see. (I'd still like to at least try..... ;)
I've raced Bathurst in reverse on Grid Autosport and it's almost as good in reverse as it is forward. Lot's of tracks lend themselves to a good reverse layout IMO.

The main reason, I think, it'd be unlikely is because of safety; tracks are safety engineered for a particular direction of running. I don't know if it would interfere with licensing, for instance - you'd have to have a pretty rigid stick up your wotsit, though; then again what else does "licensing" imply? :sly:

The main reason, I think, it'd be unlikely is because of safety; tracks are safety engineered for a particular direction of running. I don't know if it would interfere with licensing, for instance - you'd have to have a pretty rigid stick up your wotsit, though; then again what else does "licensing" imply? :sly:
Don't think that's the issue. Grid Autosport has reverse of just about every track in the game including Spa, Hockenheim, Bathurst, COTA and many other real world tracks. And most of them are great tracks in reverse too.

From driving them backwards in GT5 (even when they don't offer a reverse option) it seems (to me) to be a "PDI pragmatic" restriction based on their track-section stitching method and side marker placements (or possibly the window-dressings ie, signage... something I didn't really pay attention to when I was driving in reverse.) The side markers -ie, 'rumble strips' - are what caught my attention during my stint in GT5, since their placement of markers seems to have been based on a single direction of travel. For instance, when driving a given course in reverse, the ideal apices (apexes) on custom courses in GT5 often don't seem to match the marker placements, although they more often than not do when driving in the "PDI correct" direction.

I agree though, that regardless of what the basis for the restriction is, driving many of the courses, custom or not, in reverse can be a whole lotta fun. It might even be more fun if it wasn't considered the "wrong" direction and we could "legally" check laptimes, race, etc all the courses in reverse as well as the "correct" direction.

Don't think that's the issue. Grid Autosport has reverse of just about every track in the game including Spa, Hockenheim, Bathurst, COTA and many other real world tracks. And most of them are great tracks in reverse too.
Indeed, and I didn't ignore the previous post stating that, but GRiDAS is a very different game from what I've seen of it.

It's like that SMS Ferrari game with its "Ferrari thinks the cars are perfect as they are" issue; it doesn't stop other games.
So, based on that, licensing terms would presumably be determined on an individual application basis. Maybe in some cases, it's not in the circuit's interest to allow depictions of reverse-direction racing, for whatever reason.

It's not that I think that's what's stopping it from happening more often, just that it's the only halfway-reasonable thing I could think of!

From driving them backwards in GT5 (even when they don't offer a reverse option) it seems (to me) to be a "PDI pragmatic" restriction based on their track-section stitching method and side marker placements (or possibly the window-dressings ie, signage... something I didn't really pay attention to when I was driving in reverse.) The side markers -ie, 'rumble strips' - are what caught my attention during my stint in GT5, since their placement of markers seems to have been based on a single direction of travel. For instance, when driving a given course in reverse, the ideal apices (apexes) on custom courses in GT5 often don't seem to match the marker placements, although they more often than not do when driving in the "PDI correct" direction.

I agree though, that regardless of what the basis for the restriction is, driving many of the courses, custom or not, in reverse can be a whole lotta fun. It might even be more fun if it wasn't considered the "wrong" direction and we could "legally" check laptimes, race, etc all the courses in reverse as well as the "correct" direction.

Actually, the tracks are also drawn according to where you are on the track. If you drive them backwards in a lot of cases, there is horrendous pop-in. So you may be right!

I'm sure if the Course Maker was ready, it would be in. Now, if you mean that nearly two gigabytes of data that clearly hasn't manifested yet, Tuesday is Update day, and Kaz's birthday... let's see what happens. I'd sure like a late birthday present. :D

I'm sure if the Course Maker was ready, it would be in. Now, if you mean that nearly two gigabytes of data that clearly hasn't manifested yet, Tuesday is Update day, and Kaz's birthday... let's see what happens. I'd sure like a late birthday present. :D
Tuesday = update day? What?

Also, I wish Kaz a happy birthday because I know that I'm going to forget.

I'm beginning to think PD left out a ton of features we wanted, so they could all be included in GT7 as a sort of "We intentionally screwed up GT6 to test your loyalty, so thanks for sticking with us!" gesture.

I'm beginning to think PD left out a ton of features we wanted, so they could all be included in GT7 as a sort of "We intentionally screwed up GT6 to test your loyalty, so thanks for sticking with us!" gesture.
PD=PD
Nothing else need be said. :lol:

But think about it seriously. That would be a bad business move to say the least.

I don't car what anybody says about PD. They have had the gull to stick with Sony making amazing games over the years. When nobody else can. That my 2 cents about that at least.

The stated day for "maintenance" (meaning they add an update) is supposed to be Mon night/Tue morn.

This time, a rushed update is coming due to the multi-monitor failure. I would expect a small one this week, and another, larger one, late this week or early next.

The stated day for "maintenance" (meaning they add an update) is supposed to be Mon night/Tue morn.

This time, a rushed update is coming due to the multi-monitor failure. I would expect a small one this week, and another, larger one, late this week or early next.
Has anyone talked about the fact of the last update and its size, when only 2 cars were added with minor tweaks? Besides the Zahara coding?

I don't have anything to really give, I know it is in beta and with the dev of the app.

But does anyone know some things I may not? Could you possibly give me a short summary of everything that is suspected?

I know the course maker is suppose to be 20km×20km. So 400km2. So roughly 248 miles squared.

Can anyone confirm this though? Will the course maker be more in depth than it was on GT5, I would hope at least with as much time as they have spent on it.
Thanks!

There is no final word on the size, just some very outdated and contradictory quotes.

By the way, 400 km squared equals 156 miles squared.

There is no final word on the size, just some very outdated and contradictory quotes.

By the way, 400 km squared equals 156 miles squared.
Yea, that's right. I was doing it last night at 4 and couldn't really remember. So, lol

But still, could you imagine the tracks we could build with that?

Ooh, that's a nice simple example of mathematical equivalences and algorithm choice.

What is 400 sq.km in sq.mi? Knowing that there are 0.621... miles to the kilometre, you can take the square root of 400, multiply by 0.621, then square the result to get the answer: 400 -> 20 -> 12.42 -> 154. Conversely, you can just multiply by 0.621, twice: 400 -> 249 -> 154. You can reduce the complexity further to two subtractions if you work in log-space, ignoring the transforms into and out of log-space, naturally. :dopey:

I think this is the kind of optimisation (obviously not on trivial stuff like my example) that PD have been wrestling with for these future updates.

[QUOTE="Cole Brown, post: 9941924, member: 259479"
But does anyone know some things I may not? Could you possibly give me a short summary of everything that is suspected?

I know the course maker is suppose to be 20km×20km. So 400km2. So roughly 248 miles squared.

Can anyone confirm this though? Will the course maker be more in depth than it was on GT5, I would hope at least with as much time as they have spent on it.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last thing I read from Yamauchi was that it had been parsed down from the originally advertised 20km square to a 10km square, or approximately 40 square miles (slightly under 40 (~39), I believe. just did a rough-shod calc in my head. 10Km => ~6.25 mile => squared)

There's also the companion app that allows GPS mapping of real world roadways, although the details on that are as fuzzy as those for "coursemaker 2" That alone theoretically makes it "deeper" than for GT5, but I haven't read or heard anything authoritative beyond what I've said here.

As for how much time they've spent on it, that's to be seen. They may have spent very little time with it or very much. black-box rules apply.

Last edited:
I am desperately hoping I won't have to upgrade my phone JUST to be able to run this app...... That would ROYALLY SUCK!!!!! :mad::mad:

I'm actually willing to throw away my android instantly as soon as there is the GPS recording app for course maker!!! Just give it already, PD.

[QUOTE="Cole Brown, post: 9941924, member: 259479"

Thanks!

Last thing I read from Yamauchi was that it had been parsed down from the originally advertised 20km square to a 10km square, or approximately 40 square miles (slightly under 40 (~39), I believe. just did a rough-shod calc in my head. 10Km => ~6.25 mile => squared)

There's also the companion app that allows GPS mapping of real world roadways, although the details on that are as fuzzy as those for "coursemaker 2" That alone theoretically makes it "deeper" than for GT5, but I haven't read or heard anything authoritative beyond what I've said here.

As for how much time they've spent on it, that's to be seen. They may have spent very little time with it or very much. black-box rules apply.[/QUOTE]
So is it 10km by 10km now? Or what?

I'm actually willing to throw away my android instantly as soon as there is the GPS recording app for course maker!!! Just give it already, PD.

I'm not. PDI should provide the GPS app not only for their precious Apple users, but for all of us. And released in tandem, not as an afterthought or after users start complaining about the Androids' omission from the equation (like the 'Beyond the Apex' applet released ?last week? which they released only for Apple devices, and which some insider sources have suggested "they're looking into" for Android users, as if we're second-class because we don't' own Apple deveices).

Expecting an Android app is only logical. The Android is the dominant smart phone on the market and in the wild. And users of the Android who purchased this game paid an identical sum for this game as any other player and deserve equal consideration to the Apple user.

I'm not. PDI should provide the GPS app not only for their precious Apple users, but for all of us. And released in tandem, not as an afterthought or after users start complaining about the Androids' omission from the equation (like the 'Beyond the Apex' applet released ?last week? which they released only for Apple devices, and which some insider sources have suggested "they're looking into" for Android users, as if we're second-class because we don't' own Apple deveices).

Expecting an Android app is only logical. The Android is the dominant smart phone on the market and in the wild. And users of the Android who purchased this game paid an identical sum for this game as any other player and deserve equal consideration to the Apple user.
The thing the sucks. Having had an iPhone then going to LGG2, it is night and day. I don't understand why people want a brand that you can hardly do anything with. That's all it is.

First off, let me preface this by saying that I am NOT defending PD's decision to bring the app only to iOS.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, Android development is significantly more difficult than iOS development due simply to the incredible amount of Android devices out there. There are hundreds of devices running Android, compared to the dozen or so running iOS. PD has never ported, well, anything to multiple devices. This is also the first application that PD has developed for a device other than a Playstation console.

First off, let me preface this by saying that I am NOT defending PD's decision to bring the app only to iOS.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, Android development is significantly more difficult than iOS development due simply to the incredible amount of Android devices out there. There are hundreds of devices running Android, compared to the dozen or so running iOS. PD has never ported, well, anything to multiple devices. This is also the first application that PD has developed for a device other than a Playstation console.
Multiple points here:
  1. The Beyond the Apex app is in no way connected to the companion app that will release later.
  2. PD hires external companies to create the apps.
  3. While Android development is indeed harder than iOS development, it is not nearly as hard as you make it sound. The issues caused by the variation in devices are very easily fixed.

As @PaMu1337 noted, I highly doubt this was developed internally and if it was, it was a bad decision. And there are how many Android Apps out there? Millions? Don't make out like PD is inventing the wheel here this has been done tens of thousands of times before.

Latest Posts

Back