Course Maker: how big is it and when can we expect it?

• Thread starter kogunenjou
  • 519 comments
I had a thought last night: What if elements for the course editor were added in this last update?

What I'm thinking of is things like pre-formed corner sets, some background stuff, etc.

Who knows? We shall see.

So what you are saying is that they are probably delivering the course editor piece by piece in
secret?
Hmmm...sure that does make sense when they will announce the course editor update
that you dont have to download 10 GB, but say 2-3 GB.That would be awesome.

I don't think this is the case. I could be wrong but I don't think Zahara is being delivered piece by piece either. Maybe it is. Maybe a section of the Red Bull Ring was snuck into the Ayrton Senna update. But if it was, the file sifters like Whistle Snap didn't find anything, or thought it was wise to say nothing. But I think someone would have because there has to be more than one person who is determined to find out what's in these updates.

What Whistle Stop discovered in this update, and a bit in the 1.09 update, are file labels that look to be associated with the car customizing goodies, the number plates, number fonts, some sort of window graphics, and something referenced by the word "decken" which apparently is a livery feature. And then there was something called Circuito de la Sierra, which had been added to track database. This is generally regarded as the Zahara track. Maybe we got a hunk of it, maybe we got all of it. Two gigabytes is a lot of data for a videogame file. We'll find out when it unlocks.

But as for the Course Maker, it's still in beta as far as anyone knows. If anything has been pre-positioned, no one has said anything. But with Zahara evidently sitting on our hard drives, and work progressing on the CM, it can't be too far off.

But as for the Course Maker, it's still in beta as far as anyone knows. If anything has been pre-positioned, no one has said anything. But with Zahara evidently sitting on our hard drives, and work progressing on the CM, it can't be too far off.
Do you have a link from someone indicating they are certain Zahara is on our hard drives? A label there indicating a possible track is all that is confirmed as far as I know.

Johnny, I didn't write that anyone said, "Here's the Zahara track." What I posted was "there was something called Circuito de la Sierra, which had been added to track database. This is generally regarded as the Zahara track." And "Zahara evidently sitting on our hard drives". Don't be such a stalker, okay? It's a little strange. ;)

I'll get my hopes up, but know it isn't always probable.... ;)
I bet 2 years after they promise us this feature will be in GT7 they will finally release a course maker with the capability of changing road surfaces on a single course...

i never actually played gt5. can you like play online on the tracks that you make? or is it only for offline.

i never actually played gt5. can you like play online on the tracks that you make? or is it only for offline.
Yes you could play online with Course Maker tracks in GT5. You could also put one up for sharing and anyone on your friends list could download the track to their own console and play with it at will. If you went online and you were the host, you could simply choose any custom track in your library and anyone could race on it as well. Without the sharing function in GT6, you won't be able to let anyone download the tracks from you through the console so anyone interested in one of your tracks will only be able to use it online when you have it loaded up as the host.

Just so you know, GTP encourages the use of capital letters in composing sentences. AUP

I just hope the new Course Maker can provide bumpy roads.
I assume you mean undulating roads, like Le Sarthe and the Nurburgring. Gran Turismo games have never had bumpy roads specifically that I recall. But as long as they aren't like in Shift, that can bounce your car right off the road at high speed, I'm fine.

Some past GT tracks did mix up gravel and tarmac, so I'm hoping that PD keeps that kind of Rally thing in mind. Snow/tarmac too.

I assume you mean undulating roads, like Le Sarthe and the Nurburgring. Gran Turismo games have never had bumpy roads specifically that I recall. But as long as they aren't like in Shift, that can bounce your car right off the road at high speed, I'm fine.

Some past GT tracks did mix up gravel and tarmac, so I'm hoping that PD keeps that kind of Rally thing in mind. Snow/tarmac too.
This! 👍

I think there may be practical limits to what we can expect in terms of road conditions. Much as it might be neato, too much expectation for that behavior *could send messages to PDI that end up causing us more headaches in terms of delivery, both in terms of the simulated conditions and more importantly (imo) in terms of actual delivery schedule. The time for wish lists wrt course maker are over for this iteration.

The time for wish lists wrt course maker are over for this iteration.
You may be right. I'm sure PD are aware of the growing discontent with the wait just for the release of Zahara, even though it seems made mostly for supercars and higher performing race cars. But at the same time, I don't think asking for improvements is a bad idea. I'm sure it can be updated as with any aspect of GT6. Even if we don't see these improvements in the current GT, they could wind up in GT7's Course Maker.

Back stretch of Rome is made up of cobblestone so it's technically bumpy but in the game, it doesn't represent it that well.
What an eye opener it was to drive over cobblestones in Grid Autosport! A slight shimmy to the wheel accompanied by the stacccato sound of the tires. It really made the whole experience come alive, I hope PD makes a concerted effort on the PS4 to add more detail to the FFB of all wheels.

What an eye opener it was to drive over cobblestones in Grid Autosport! A slight shimmy to the wheel accompanied by the stacccato sound of the tires. It really made the whole experience come alive, I hope PD makes a concerted effort on the PS4 to add more detail to the FFB of all wheels.
I've been on cobblestone road in real life (in Montreal) and we were only going, I don't know, maybe 10 mph and oh my! Was it bumpy! PD should totally take a trip to Rome and drive a GTR over those cobblestone roads.

Somewhat off-topic historical footnote...

I'm not sure how many realize it, but until the post WWII era, most paved roads in US cities (at least East of the Mississippi) were cobblestone, as were many of the first paved highways. In fact, I recall a couple of major thoroughfares in my area, that upon "major" reconstruction back in the 1980s, revealed their original cobblestone structure (and long defunct trolley tracks) , simply paved over with a coat or two of asphalt during the late 1940s and 1950s postwar boom. There are still two residential streets in my neighborhood that are still openly cobblestone, and the two roads to which they connect are cobblestone underneath the asphalt. Often the only visible evidence of the bygone era is in downtown alleyways and due to the occasional "large" winter delamination (big potholes). I think people would be surprised at how many cobblestone roads still exist underneath the roads they drive each day, hidden beneath a few inches of tar and gravel. Oh, and just to remind you... the Brick yard was so named because...

What really shocked me is finding out that one of our local "major" roads was originally paved with wood.

Somewhat off-topic historical footnote...

I'm not sure how many realize it, but until the post WWII era, most paved roads in US cities (at least East of the Mississippi) were cobblestone, as were many of the first paved highways. In fact, I recall a couple of major thoroughfares in my area, that upon "major" reconstruction back in the 1980s, revealed their original cobblestone structure (and long defunct trolley tracks) , simply paved over with a coat or two of asphalt during the late 1940s and 1950s postwar boom. There are still two residential streets in my neighborhood that are still openly cobblestone, and the two roads to which they connect are cobblestone underneath the asphalt. Often the only visible evidence of the bygone era is in downtown alleyways and due to the occasional "large" winter delamination (big potholes). I think people would be surprised at how many cobblestone roads still exist underneath the roads they drive each day, hidden beneath a few inches of tar and gravel. Oh, and just to remind you... the Brick yard was so named because...

What really shocked me is finding out that one of our local "major" roads was originally paved with wood.
This post is so beautiful. Cobblestone roads hidden by just a few inches of asphalt.
pY6CoIj.gif

Perhaps so, but then this thread is about a product that's already released and the missing feature that was paid for by every licensee and is going on a year overdue. Maybe the GT7 wishlist items ought to be directed to their own thread to keep this from turning into yet another "everything in one basket" article.

With regards to the cobblestones, according to that Quattroruote interview, I think with the improved physics in GT7 will make it become a reality
Is it physics or is it simply telling the wheel, "there are cobblestones here, do a little shimmy to make this guy think he's driving on cobblestones"? Grid Autosport physics are nowhere near that of GT and yet you can feel the cobblestones, curbs too. I think it has more to do with what feedback they send to the wheel than anything.

Is it physics or is it simply telling the wheel, "there are cobblestones here, do a little shimmy to make this guy think he's driving on cobblestones"? Grid Autosport physics are nowhere near that of GT and yet you can feel the cobblestones, curbs too. I think it has more to do with what feedback they send to the wheel than anything.
The feedback is the physics. If not, you're doing it wrong. :)

That said, they fake the impact of grass / off-road sections already in the physics, they could probably extend that to the cobbled surfaces using an altered version of it.

Hm, I don't think the FFB is the exact representation of the actual physics, we can see how the car is affected by bumps and curbs on GT, we just don't feel it on the wheel. I think it's up to them to include some vibration when driving over cobblestones, curbs and stuff.

The original road surface at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was brick...that would be pretty rad.

as for rally what about water splashes? cattle gates? broken asphalt? rutted roads? large rocks? sand? mud? etc?

I said the same thing about water splashes and mud!

Rally could be so much more thanks to physics. From what Kaz was saying though, I have faith

I said the same thing about water splashes and mud!

Rally could be so much more thanks to physics. From what Kaz was saying though, I have faith
They are adding more and more awesome rally machines to the series with each iteration. The point to point in GT5 was fun but limited. I hope we see more.

Back