Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
Is there a course maker in GT6? Do you have to get to a certain point in the game to open it up or is it just not there in this game? :boggled:

Hello ,

I am really crazy about drift but tracks on Gt6 are not the best to Tandem because to do it you need a little track with less than 2km.
This is why I really hope to be able to create real tracks with the course maker as Ebisu with most of the details ( relief, walls, ect.... )
Because in Gt5 options are poor in the course maker.

Anybody know any details about it except the 20km to 20km of the area, I mean if we will able to build a track as Ebisu or others which look like the reality ?

Best Regards.

Best I know about it is that it will give you more control over each section and the feature with the GPS. I think we're stuck with the tracks we have for now unless PD adds some content. All I know about it. :)

Seriously I want this course creator (massive assumption it'll be any good) more than anything else in a game ever... even if PD just released a trailer for it.. I NEED this.

Give a man a course, and he plays for a day, give a man a course creator and he plays for a life-time.

You mention a course being created with a DS3 . . . what is a DS3?

DualShock 3 (the standard PS3 controller) ;)

And no offence, but I really think some of you are a bit greedy. I mean you were all so excited about the new tracks and cars and afther a month you already want to have more and more. Just enjoy the game, coursemaker will come anyway.

Last edited:
I try not to get too hyped about this, because I sense the disappointment when I find out I can't do any of the things I wanted. I'm afraid my daily commute won't fit in the "playground" in the course maker. I'm also afraid it won't register elevation changes and turns accurately enough. Maybe if i drive really slow. :P

Looking forward to it though.

There should be ways around all of that. I plan to ride the routes on my bicycle for nice resolution - I could even get road width by riding in both directions (which you could do in a car, too, but with less precision, up to a point). It should be interesting to get some of my actual biking routes into the game, too, although tree cover will hamper data collection.

If the altitude data is a bit dodgy, there are some decently accurate sources online. It might be a job converting it all to be able to pull out the numbers you need, though, but somebody must have done something like it already.

As for the size of the areas and your commute, if 20x20 km is the limit, then as long as you don't live further than 20 km from work, as the crow flies, it'll fit in no bother - the diagonal is about 28 km, if you want to get creative. If you want to be a total smart-arse, you can start chopping it up to include the best bits only. :dopey:

That rather depends on how good it sounds. ;)
Well to put it this way, a track editor is pretty difficult to put into a game like this. I know this might be a bad example but remember in Modnation Racers where you could create your own tracks? I though it was alright but take into account it was a "cartoonish" game and is much simpler as opposed to Gran Turismo's driving model. So I would expect that it would be either a simple course maker or even if it's decent we'll get A LOT of pop-in issues.

Well to put it this way, a track editor is pretty difficult to put into a game like this. I know this might be a bad example but remember in Modnation Racers where you could create your own tracks? I though it was alright but take into account it was a "cartoonish" game and is much simpler as opposed to Gran Turismo's driving model. So I would expect that it would be either a simple course maker or even if it's decent we'll get A LOT of pop-in issues.

Which doesn't sound "that good", does it? So if they manage to get around those issues somehow, it'll be better than it sounds.

And if they do exactly what you've described, it'll be exactly as it sounds - they would have to try fairly hard to make it not as good as it sounds, given the way you've described how it sounds! :P

Managing your expectations is always wise, but we can still cautiously hope (someone might take notice).

Which doesn't sound "that good", does it? So if they manage to get around those issues somehow, it'll be better than it sounds.

And if they do exactly what you've described, it'll be exactly as it sounds - they would have to try fairly hard to make it not as good as it sounds, given the way you've described how it sounds! :P

Managing your expectations is always wise, but we can still cautiously hope (someone might take notice).
Well, I hope that GPS app that's coming soon for the course maker is decent too. I don't care if the environment doesn't look like it would in real life, I just want to drive an X1 from home to work!

If they ran the GPS data though something like Google Earth, then you could then get elevation and road width, and basic surrounding images. so then you could make fairly good looking tracks.

Hello ,

I am really crazy about drift but tracks on Gt6 are not the best to Tandem because to do it you need a little track with less than 2km.
This is why I really hope to be able to create real tracks with the course maker as Ebisu with most of the details ( relief, walls, ect.... )
Because in Gt5 options are poor in the course maker.

Anybody know any details about it except the 20km to 20km of the area, I mean if we will able to build a track as Ebisu or others which look like the reality ?

Best Regards.
I think you're going to be really disappointed.

There should be ways around all of that. I plan to ride the routes on my bicycle for nice resolution - I could even get road width by riding in both directions (which you could do in a car, too, but with less precision, up to a point). It should be interesting to get some of my actual biking routes into the game, too, although tree cover will hamper data collection.

If the altitude data is a bit dodgy, there are some decently accurate sources online. It might be a job converting it all to be able to pull out the numbers you need, though, but somebody must have done something like it already.

As for the size of the areas and your commute, if 20x20 km is the limit, then as long as you don't live further than 20 km from work, as the crow flies, it'll fit in no bother - the diagonal is about 28 km, if you want to get creative. If you want to be a total smart-arse, you can start chopping it up to include the best bits only. :dopey:
Yeah, I've been thinking about making it in two sections, as my commute is about 35km long in driving distance.

Does anyone know where I can measure the straight line distance?

Yeah, I've been thinking about making it in two sections, as my commute is about 35km long in driving distance.

Does anyone know where I can measure the straight line distance?

Google maps has such a tool buried in the "beta" somewhere; it's possibly exposed in Chrome.

Mapometer is pretty good; it uses Google maps, but the drawing tool is most useful - assuming Google maps has the required data for your area!

I would love to recreate Mount Panorama with no elevation. keep the walls and trees and no run-off area at the start and middle. keep the grassy and gravel area down Conrod through The Chase. It would still be an awesome circuit.

I would like to see what kind of routes you guys are thinking about recreating, either from Google Maps/similar sites or from a dash cam.

Think I'm going to film my commute, just to share it here. :)

It would be awesome to compare the real routes to the virtual ones. :D

Last edited:
My dream, create the Trans-Canada Highway with the editor :) Yes this will remain a dream. Bought the game for the photomode and the track editor, hope we won't have to wait many months...

GT6 Spec 2.0 is coming and it will include all the promised features from the GT website.

Kaz's hints at a major update are such a deja vu, the same thing happened with GT5, and then we got Spec 2.0.

I may be wrong, but it's very likely that I'm right at this point.

Nope if no sources to back up. Kaz says "big updates" since months, the game is not complete yet so we'll have to wait more.. As for me, I don't care anymore. They made us wait way too much. I just play GT6 for what it is, but I have 0 hope in this company now.

GT6 Spec 2.0 is coming and it will include all the promised features from the GT website.

Kaz's hints at a major update are such a deja vu, the same thing happened with GT5, and then we got Spec 2.0.

I may be wrong, but it's very likely that I'm right at this point.

Do you know when this update will come out ? :)

October, November, December or before the end of the year?

Back