Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
Fap%20Guy%20Meme.png
Screen+shot+2013-10-07+at+10.36.40+PM.png

After reading up about how elevation is calculated in gps data on mobile devices, I wouldn't get your hopes up about a decent level of accuracy. I had an inkling about this as a Strava user.

The margin for error is huge. There will be a serious amount of smoothing done in the final version, if elevation is included, so don't expect anything fantastic.

Lets not jump the gun here. If you ever take your car to the track, you will know that there are many different data acquisition packages. Some folks get by using their phones and an app like Harry's Lap Timer. Others augment that with an external GPS device for greater accuracy. And others purchase expensive data acquisition tools that are extremely accurate. The question remains, at this point, what will PD support? And will there be conversion software so that multiple devices can be used? I am about to buy an upgraded data acquisition system for my car, but I'm waiting for the news from PD telling us what they will support.

Right now, after driving the Ascari track a few times at different times of the day, I'm super excited about this track maker. The Ascari track reminds me of driving around the hill country in Austin, TX. And if the game lets us use that look and feel for our custom generated tracks, then most of our local tracks here in Texas ... recorded with the proper GPS device ... are going to look and feel like home. And when that happens ... I challenge anyone to come up with a better racing sim. Once I can drive my local tracks ... there will be no other sim for me. PD had trumped them all with this feature, assuming that they deliver.

Pardon me if this topic has been beaten to death, I even used the search bar and couldn't find much. Does anyone know the fate of the course maker? Is it in-game? Do you need some other app to run it, much like Gran Theft Auto 5 uses the "iFruit" app? Or will it [hopefully] be added in a future update?

The new course maker will be added through an update. There will not be an app required to run it, you should be able to create a course with the DS3.

There have been talks about a possible GPS app that would replicate your real life route in the GT Course Maker, but I wouldn't expect the app anytime soon.

Don't get either of those features confused with the GPS Data Visualizer which is completely different... and is supposed to come later as well (whether it's useful or not is a different subject).

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/

This feature, available at a later stage through an update, will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving that course. This GPS-generated tracks will be available in the game as playable content.

i am so excited for this feature. will spend time mapping my neighborhood to get a feel for how it works, then take a day trip to skyline drive and map out some roads up there.

I'm surprised that I don't find any information about the track creator of course maker on the forum.

Is it actually included? Or is it still to come?

For the moment, I'm on IRacing, and for me, the only reason to come back would be the presence of a better track creator than that in GT5.

I'm surprised that I don't find any information about the track creator of course maker on the forum.

Is it actually included? Or is it still to come?

For the moment, I'm on IRacing, and for me, the only reason to come back would be the presence of a better track creator than that in GT5.

No it's not in GT6 yet. No custom course creator options until an update.
It may not come until a May 2014 update!! :(

Is there any more info regarding this gps stuff.

Does anyone have any idea what the deal will be with sharing the files. Will it be all in-app, and directly linked to GT, or will we be able to use other gps files captured on other apps. I've already got a couple of A-B stuff lined up on Google my tracks app, but I can garantee I'll have to re - do them with the GT app when it's released.

I've got to say, it's easily the thing I'm most excited about in the game, and there doesn't seem to be much chat about it. I know that's probably because there's naff all info about, and people don't like to get too excited about future updates until there is proper news.

Once it's finally released I will probably only ever play on my own tracks from my own area. Absolutely cannot wait.

I try not to get too hyped about this, because I sense the disappointment when I find out I can't do any of the things I wanted. I'm afraid my daily commute won't fit in the "playground" in the course maker. I'm also afraid it won't register elevation changes and turns accurately enough. Maybe if i drive really slow. :P

Looking forward to it though.

I believe the course creator is a major dependency/per courser.

The GPS thingy is likely a feature of it... And not likely to be included in the first release.

PD does a good job with procedural systems, not as good with dynamic systems so this one could be a ways off.

I wonder how accurate the GPS tracker will be, and if you have to make a full lap. It would be nice to do a mountain run while recording and have a touge style track.

The course maker was going to be 100km^3, then it was going to be 50km^3, then it was going to be 10^3... I just don't want to hear anymore about it until it's released. :nervous:

Cubic km? Don't you mean km^2? ;)

Last time i read about it, the info said 20x20km. That's 400km^2...and that's large, isn't it?

I thought the GPS tracker was to be used in conjunction with existsing tracks, i.e. that you could compare your real life driving on a real track with virtual driving on GT6 virtual tracks.

If we're able to make tracks from real world roads using GPS that would be revolutionary. I've not seen PD do many revolutionary things in GT5 and 6, so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

I thought the GPS tracker was to be used in conjunction with existsing tracks, i.e. that you could compare your real life driving on a real track with virtual driving on GT6 virtual tracks.

If we're able to make tracks from real world roads using GPS that would be revolutionary. I've not seen PD do many revolutionary things in GT5 and 6, so I'm not holding my breath for that one.
Well, this is exactly what Taku Imasaki talked about in the video.
The real-to-virtual lap time recorder is exclusively for the Toyota GT86, as it's the only car with a built-in GPS-recorder that transfers vehicle data to a USB-stick, and from there into GT6.

The smartphone app with the GPS recording has been known for a while.

Back