Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
Hey, time poster here. Been playing since gt3, and love the series. 5 was kind of weak at first but has gotten better...so i'm hoping this creator takes off and becomes more than a generator.

Like the GPS idea! (Other threads indicate its "a go" i guess. :odd:) I have some amazing roads from michigan that i would love to see and i know they would fit in the games size limits. That could be the easy approach and they could do a advanced editor with more detailed tools. Also, used to drive from Chrysler at the Chelsea Proving Grounds...many a roads...and could recreate them all from the road maps with mileage values.

But, realistically i think it will be more generator still. :(
Hoping more info surfaces in the next couple weeks and along with read everyones posts...i'm sure its answered.

Course Maker
This feature, available at a later stage through an update, will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving that course. This GPS-generated tracks will be available in the game as playable content.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/

The only question now though is when the app and course maker will be released. Hopefully day 1 but I doubt it. But if the A-Spec and the rest of the features are complete enough well the course maker could wait. Hopefully as GoingMissed said we have more control over the course maker so it becomes a tool instead of a generator.

Course Maker
This feature, available at a later stage through an update, will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving that course. This GPS-generated tracks will be available in the game as playable content.

The only question now though is when the app and course maker will be released. Hopefully day 1 but I doubt it. But if the A-Spec and the rest of the features are complete enough well the course maker could wait. Hopefully as GoingMissed said we have more control over the course maker so it becomes a tool instead of a generator.

Thanks mate.

Yeah, did a couple of hours worth of research on it last night and found it. So awesome! Still hoping for a creator that doesn't completely work on gps alone, because I sadly don't have access to private courses that i once did a couple years ago.

I think Mopar fans would really love to see/make the CPG and the new APG...I would be doing all my tuning there and willow or laguna. Around where I grew up in Michigan, there are some great backcountry paved roads that could be made to connect on looping circuit if thats the least we get. In the game they would be fresh and not subjected to the heating and cooling that our roads get...in real life, its a hit or miss whether the roads are patched up or have broken asphalt. Really works the suspension! :lol:

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chelsea-proving-grounds.html

The above link has an outdated photo map of the grounds. Its missing the ADR (old automated durability road), evaluation and handling road, as well as the new little course that fiat encouraged them to build (within the ADR). The sat image on google earth is the current image of the facility. All we would need is something to give the scale and the tracks could have actual correct mileages and rate of turn IF its a creator that allows for these kind of tools.

Skunky, wasn't the gt5 generator not available day one? Its been so long since the launch of 5, i can't remember. I don't have my fingers crossed on day one for gt6. Though, i'll probably be doing license testing and making money...so i can wait a little while. :D

Hmmm..something must have changed and I missed it because Sony had Ronda listed as a "photomode" location last time I checked, not part of the course maker. Do you have reference for this change?
Those look like photomode shots to me.

If it is and you don't have one then it's time to upgrade
I just upgraded from both of those.
See what I did there?

I already upgraded to WP, which I personally find far more user friendly. Too bad many developers are omitting this platform to create apps.

Edit: or exactly what Normalaatsra says above here :)

In same boat, love my WP.
Devs claim no buyers so no apps, potential buyers claim no apps so no buy.

Already worried I'll miss out on the GPS features.

Seems like this fell of the table... First it was 100x100-10x10-not shipping with the game...

My only worry is when core features get tabled, resources are working on finishing them and not adding new content to the game... To be fair they are different resources but priority is effected none the less.

Also, Ronda is a course creator location and a photo travel location, and those were indeed photo travel shots.

After the series of screenshots that appeared on the website I'm not too convinced that Ronda will actually be a town we will be able to drive in. In the photo travel location shots I saw quite some straightened out and angular roads instead of the smooth curves one would expect. So it seems like not everything is being modeled in detail.

Maybe they're kept separate and the photo mode will use another version of those location files, but I just don't want to dissappoint myself once the course maker feature becomes available ;)

I hope that the GPS app will not be restricted to iOS and Android phones. Probably wishful thinking.
I can imagine the bile and Apple hate threads on here if the app is iOS only...

The epic whinging and crying thread will double in size.

This GPS thing will probably be really awesome...

I hope PD will give us chance to play a little bit with the environment.
Not really a full editor.. but the option to add trees, predefined buildings etc.. in specific areas, would really help to make the track a little bit more realistic.

guys, you run too far. sorry for the English but I translate with google to make fast the post of discussion that we are having on our portal gt5italia.it

Kazu now has accustomed us to " think only if I see it "

and I 'm still good with feet of lead as the editor about the same (which he knows is that part of andalucia scanned )
will allow you to create your own custom tracks That can be driven in the game

and then add

Additionally , in another update we will add The Possibility to track generated by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving That course

then DESPITE ALL THE DREAMS I do not read specifically that with the GPS application can get around where the **** you want and record data which are then transformed into an racetrack for GT6 from me I read and I understand that with the editor you can create your own route customized based on the scanned area that the editor provides you and then you'll have an app that captures data with the ability to generate the layout editor driving on that path (That course)
therefore not " where the **** you think " but THAT path ... understood as the path that you were creating a table in the setting of Andalucia and which for convenience can also generate using a gps and physically going around the streets ( Andalucia ? ) you want to select in the editor

is that "THAT " that deserves attention for me ... and here I ask if Jordan in things has at its disposal a more detailed explanation about the editor or has that same vague phrase in English ...

for that I'm still with the " I do not think I do not see " ... and I only see that THAT

Course Maker

This is great news, but I had a horrible thought.

The GPS app would allow you to make anything you want simply by walking/driving the course. That would seem to indicate that the course creator is capable of accomodating any possible layout, and thus that there should be a "manual" mode for creating a course. I'm thinking fundamentally what Modnation Racers was, although probably significantly simplified.

The fear is that they won't allow this "manual" mode. While it would be great to duplicate your local roads, it would suck if to duplicate your local race track you had to either go drive it or somehow hack the GPS app into thinking that you did.

The GPS feature sounds great, but my biggest gripe with GT5's course creator was the bland environments and a GPS created track won't magically build accurate scenery around it so here's hoping we can influence the scenery ourselves or at the very least there's a more diverse and interesting selection of scenery available.

The other thing with a GPS created track is the roads width, camber and banking, this would only be accurate according to the position in the road you are in.

In short, their must be a way we can fine tune, tweak and manually manipulate the data we uoload or a GPS track may end up feeling nothing like the road we drove along.

The GPS feature sounds great, but my biggest gripe with GT5's course creator was the bland environments and a GPS created track won't magically build accurate scenery around it so here's hoping we can influence the scenery ourselves or at the very least there's a more diverse and interesting selection of scenery available.

The other thing with a GPS created track is the roads width, camber and banking, this would only be accurate according to the position in the road you are in.

In short, their must be a way we can fine tune, tweak and manually manipulate the data we uoload or a GPS track may end up feeling nothing like the road we drove along.
This and it was almost impossible to make the damn thing flat, as hard as i tried i was always ending up in hill county with blind crests...

This and it was almost impossible to make the damn thing flat, as hard as i tried i was always ending up in hill county with blind crests...
The terrain "generation" was always a separate step. As far as I could tell, there were only a few variations per theme (so they were likely "pre-generated" in that case).

Perhaps PD will give us control of that part now, as well. Of course, if it's procedural (e.g. layered noise), then it'll still be a case of fiddling the dials until you get something close to what you want. A totally flat terrain is easy, though, if they add the option.

This is great news, but I had a horrible thought.

The GPS app would allow you to make anything you want simply by walking/driving the course. That would seem to indicate that the course creator is capable of accomodating any possible layout, and thus that there should be a "manual" mode for creating a course. I'm thinking fundamentally what Modnation Racers was, although probably significantly simplified.

The fear is that they won't allow this "manual" mode. While it would be great to duplicate your local roads, it would suck if to duplicate your local race track you had to either go drive it or somehow hack the GPS app into thinking that you did.

"...will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app..."

Keyword here being "Additionally,".

This means the GPS imported track data will be a later addition to the custom course maker, you make it sound like GPS data is the only way to make a custom track in GT6.

After reading up about how elevation is calculated in gps data on mobile devices, I wouldn't get your hopes up about a decent level of accuracy. I had an inkling about this as a Strava user.

The margin for error is huge. There will be a serious amount of smoothing done in the final version, if elevation is included, so don't expect anything fantastic.

From dcrainmaker.com:

"
In a GPS-based altimeter, the unit uses a whole crap-ton of math to determine exactly how high you are. Without getting into all the details, elevation is determined by utilizing the simple GPS coordinates and a known value called the ‘reference ellipsoid’ to determine your height about sea level, to varying degrees of accuracy.

The challenge here though is that with GPS altimeters there can be numerous inconsistencies introduced by a set of different sources. First, is the base error rate within GPS itself – which horizontally is usually a few meters, but vertically is significantly more. Then you add in any earth obstructions (buildings, trees, cows, etc…) that further increases the error rate. Next, the reference ellipsoid can actually introduce further deviations. Meaning, you could be standing at sea level, yet the reference ellipsoid may assume that that area has a deviation of –4 meters. As you can see, this quickly starts to pile up, generating plenty of errors for even the simplest of out and back courses. Note how upon closer inspection of the below graph, they aren’t the same if split half-way, even though this was an out and back run course."

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/05/understanding-sport-device-gps.html

If they could find a way to integrate this with Google Earth we could make anything from anywhere Google has been without leaving the comfort of our living rooms...:bowdown:💡

If they could find a way to integrate this with Google Earth we could make anything from anywhere Google has been without leaving the comfort of our living rooms...:bowdown:💡
I can imagine people reverse engineering the app and creating a program to do this, similar to the 'remote b-spec grinding app'

"...will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app..."

Keyword here being "Additionally,".

This means the GPS imported track data will be a later addition to the custom course maker, you make it sound like GPS data is the only way to make a custom track in GT6.

The course creator in GT5 was touted as making custom tracks.

My fear is that if you want to make a track on your PS3 with a controller, the method you'll have available is PD's weird course generation algorithm. If you want to make a track using GPS, then you can make anything you like.

I don't know any of this, it's simply the first thought I had when I read the announcement. Normally you wouldn't even think of such a think, but PD has a bit of a reputation for not doing things in the obvious way.

This GPS thing will probably be really awesome...

I hope PD will give us chance to play a little bit with the environment.
Not really a full editor.. but the option to add trees, predefined buildings etc.. in specific areas, would really help to make the track a little bit more realistic.

The environment would probably be auto generated à la Course Generator to keep things simple.

What you are asking for will mostlikely be for the PS4.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gr...ife-races-to-its-digital-tracks/1100-6416530/

Have you ever wondered how quickly you'd wreck your car while driving to work at 90mph, or how it would feel to try to race a Formula One car on your local go-kart track? The GT6 companion app will let you answer these burning questions, and others, using GPS coordinate data. When enabled, the app will trace your movement and record how far you traveled in the real world. You will then be able to import that data into Gran Turismo 6, which will generate a racetrack that follows the same path as the recorded data.

However, the app only records the path you took and doesn't record other details such as the road's width or surrounding scenery. Those details will be fine-tuned using GT6's course maker within the game itself. As Imasaki noted, the course maker will be an expanded version of what was in the previous game, but he wasn't ready to dive into specifics just yet.

One addition the team is hoping to include is point-to-point tracks, or tracks that aren't a complete loop. If you're trying to record your morning commute using the app, for example, chances are you won't be making a complete loop. Imasaki acknowledged that point-to-point track support is something the team is aware of, but it remains to be seen whether this feature will make it into Gran Turismo 6.

I really hope point to point is represented in the course maker. No specifics and a vague "point to point track support is something the team is aware of" says to me that the course maker update is a ways off from launch. I hope not, because if its done right I could add so much more fun and depth. How great would it be if users could share their courses? Similar to Far Cry's map maker and our ability to download maps from the community.

Fap%20Guy%20Meme.png

Back