Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
We could have had a detailed editor in GT5 most likely. The graphics don't even matter, the hypothetical GT editor doesn't have to run at the same detail as replays or mid race. The track could be a wireframe while being edited.

What we got in GT5 wasn't very good. I can't even "create" a track without some turn somewhere having a random and completely stupid cliff that causes the road to drop out from under your car mid corner.

Why couldn't you edit in sectors then? Even a low-poly representation would considerably chop down on the resources required as you are editing; let alone a wireframe.

Now, yes, when you went to finalize the track, it would take a good amount of time to render everything and you wouldn't be able to do anything in the meantime; but I have no doubts that the people who would get the most out of it would have no problem with that.

The problem isn't editing itself, but rendering times. You can try editing with something even more simpler than wire frames, but that doesn't change the time it requires for the whole thing to render. In fact, even Modnation has wire frames for preview, so that's a common technique and something I'm aware of already.

In terms of processing time that it takes to render a full 3D track, with only 256MB of RAM on the PS3, we're talking possibilities of weeks, or days if it's a "small" track. That's with post processing (can't imagine real time), so I think it would be almost unusable. :scared:

However, that's time if the track was built from scratch, like from wire-frames and whatnot. I'm not sure how much pre-loaded textures would help in terms of shedding off the time it takes to fully render, but it should help a lot, which is why we have specific themes in the first place.

Anyway, there are some basic, free 3D modeler you can download if you want to try first-hand on rendering times and what not. I recommend you have a decent computer btw. If not that, then ask any 3D modeler if you know of one. I'm not one, apparently from my non-detailed explanations, but I do blender and After Effects stuff for video editing, so I have an idea. Put it simply, majority of render times depend on resolution, detail, and size; three things that outdoes Modnation considerably. If I have a side by side data comparing both games, I'd love to show it to you guys, but I don't.

I'd like a full editor as much as anyone, but I just don't see it being a possibility on this console (PS3). I don't know about the PS4, obviously, so I can't comment on that.

There is nothing at all to prevent this sort of editor working on the PS3.

As I've already posted, you design the track, the system fills in the details, complete with your restrictions, then you edit to finish. Save and use.

All it takes is a little imagination to see the possibilities rather than the potential problems.

Mod Nation Racers track editor makes small tracks because it is a kart game. What else would you expect it to be able to make? The Nurburgring?

A Gran Turismo Editor would make Gran Turismo sized tracks.

Yes, I guess it is that simple.

In terms of processing time that it takes to render a full 3D track, with only 256MB of RAM on the PS3, we're talking possibilities of weeks, or days if it's a "small" track. That's with post processing (can't imagine real time), so I think it would be almost unusable. :scared:

In which case please explain how the random track creator is able to render a track in good time when it is actually doing more work than a track editor would because it has to carry out the extra step of creating the random track?

As for scenery, run off areas, grandstands & pitlanes are pretty much all that are required.

In which case please explain how the random track creator is able to render a track in good time when it is actually doing more work than a track editor would because it has to carry out the extra step of creating the random track?

As for scenery, run off areas, grandstands & pitlanes are pretty much all that are required.

You're saying the random generator does more work than an actual track creator?

I'm sorry Tired Tyres, but you are simply lost. I don't know how else to explain it. Perhaps a simple google search will do.

No. I'm saying that it has to calculate more data now than it would then.. It works out the random course, YOU work out the course YOU design.

It then generates the course. Just as it does NOW.

If they are going to add a course maker in GT6, they should make it more in-depth. For example, if you want to make a mountainous track, they should let you adjust height elevation. If you want to make an oval track, you can adjust the exact angle of the corners as well as the banking.

And please, let us be able to add stuff like grandstands and decorations where we want. One thing I hate about the custom tracks is how bland the environment is.

I'd almost rather see a PC program where you created/edited/compiled the track, then the PS3/4 would grab that track after rendering and you can test then.

I'd like to see the track maker, or some variation of it return.

Implement both random style creation (like what is in GT5) and a full fledged creator where you can assume direct control over each section of the track.

I'd also be interested in seeing a top 100 list of most popular tracks or something along those lines and a way to then download the most popular tracks that other players have made. Put in a system where people can vote or rate tracks on a variety of metrics - Difficulty Level, Fun factor, ect.

Also, the ability to trade/share tracks with people from your friends list would be nice.

I'd almost rather see a PC program where you created/edited/compiled the track, then the PS3/4 would grab that track after rendering and you can test then.

Why?

If it's for the mouse and keyboard, PS3 can handle that already. All I see from this is wasting time going from computer to console.

However, that's time if the track was built from scratch, like from wire-frames and whatnot. I'm not sure how much pre-loaded textures would help in terms of shedding off the time it takes to fully render, but it should help a lot, which is why we have specific themes in the first place.
It's also why pretty much every track editor I've seen uses them. GT would be no exception. I don't get why you think it would be such a challenge.

Anyway, there are some basic, free 3D modeler you can download if you want to try first-hand on rendering times and what not. I recommend you have a decent computer btw. If not that, then ask any 3D modeler if you know of one. I'm not one, apparently from my non-detailed explanations, but I do blender and After Effects stuff for video editing, so I have an idea. Put it simply, majority of render times depend on resolution, detail, and size; three things that outdoes Modnation considerably. If I have a side by side data comparing both games, I'd love to show it to you guys, but I don't.

I have some experience with rendering

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6978633#post6978633

GT5/6 won't have to do that. It will just have to do what's it's already doing. The only difference is we tell it where the road is.

Last edited:
Plus like when someone suggested the livery editor be a PC program, what about all the people without a PC or without the knowhow to use a PC program?

That would be cool. I think a good balance between giving more control without making it too much for some people would be to give people the option to customize the track and then let the game make the enviornment (unless of course you want to do that yourself) Because for me I'm alot more interested in the track itself than the surroundings.

Plus like when someone suggested the livery editor be a PC program, what about all the people without a PC or without the knowhow to use a PC program?

Exactly 👍

Honestly just have a system similar to Modnation Racers except more realistic. I think that was already said by many people matter of fact.

Still though as I said main thing that messed up GT5 course maker is that besides the fireworks at night on certain tracks there was no life it felt dead to me.

People were around, but I needed more than that like buildings/ambience and putting up stuff like trees or Barns(Yes I said that lol).

Reason for saying use a PC/Mac program was for compiling/rendering time. If it's going to take a long time to make the track after designing it, why not put that load on your PC that will more likely get it done quicker, depending on specs of your pc than the PS3/PS4 will. Now without knowing the specs of the PS4, or which console it's going to be on it's hard to say.

If you don't have a PC or know how to use a pc program, I'm sorry for you and you probably should have a PC before you have a PS3/PS4.

Give them a basic track editor on in the game. If someone that doesn't "know/how to use a pc program" wants to build a track, they can use the basic editor.

I'm sure a lot of people will make a track with the new track creator if they implement one. How many of those people would actually use that track online in a racing league or anything? Those people without the PC, probably not, since they probably aren't a member of any racing leagues/clubs since they don't have a PC to read posts on. Sure they can get on the PS3 browser, but more than likely they just want to race.

ugh this thread is pointless. There will be a Course Maker in GT6. It will have more features. It WILL NOT be because of this thread.

By that logic, you could say that every wishlist thread and the feedback section are pointless.

What a terrible outlook to have.

that modnation course maker is awesome that would be endlessly fun.

the course maker of GT5 would suffice if there were a lot more options to choose and let it generate, after a while every truck become the same and boring, my suggestion would be to get us a key code to use it to access a website where you connect to other server that runs a track editor and after you finish you download it to the console via your account and share it with friends or community something like EA creation center.. but that is too good and time consuming to do:lol: so a modnation editor would do..

I honestly think it should be like modnation coarse maker its idiot proof really and easy to make the track u want. and it really cant take up more room than the 1.000.000's of tracks pre loaded into the game and are good but not what i want

As the other yaysayers have said, the Course Maker should return in GT6, but be extensively improved. ... Giving us some basic tools for forming terrain, dropping in elements like trees, spectator stands, buildings, railing and fencing, pit lanes, and as Simon grouched about, braking and curb markers .....

Great stuff man.. To add, how about they give us a catalogue of all sorts of buildings, grandstands, and objects from the tracks already in the game? They are modelled..

Want the pit lane/garages from Spa, the viewing tower from Monza, the lights from Daytona, and the grandstands from Trial Mountain all on your front straight? You got it. 👍

I also agree with others who say we need Road Courses, Ovals, Point2Point, Kart tracks, Drag strips, Gymkhana, Autocross, Touge passes, Rallycross, and Special Stage/Race-of-Champions style stadium layouts to work with.

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
The ability to change road surface, elevation changes, road widths...

The Eiger Nordwand on Tarmac, and so on.

Motorcycles in GT6
PLZ NO MOTORCYCLES IN GT6 it is unesasary and alot of work as they'll have redo everything on the game
So sinbad was being sarcastic in the "Motorcycle in GT6" thread, when you weren't. I now know because of this post you made in this "Course Maker" thread.

I honestly think it should be like modnation coarse maker its idiot proof really and easy to make the track u want. and it really cant take up more room than the 1.000.000's of tracks pre loaded into the game and are good but not what i want
First of all, really? Second of all, what the 🤬?

You might only be ignorantly posting (most/some/a few of us do at times, I do), but come on.

The ability to change road surface, elevation changes, road widths...

The Eiger Nordwand on Tarmac, and so on.
👍 Ever since the first (and only?) update to the Course Maker, I've been expecting more changes. Your suggestions should be very possible "if" GT6 gets a Course Maker. It's not like they'll give up on a revolutionary feature, because it wasn't as good as it "should" have been.

Don't remember which thread had it, but it showed that the Course Maker had more layouts and obviously settings/options that our current Course Maker doesn't have. Point-to-point layouts, being the obvious. I'm not sure if it was found out whether or not it was for specific layouts or all.

I want a real editor not what i've now!

Bigger/longer tracks should be possible with alots of options.
At the moment the course maker is very boring, especially the landscape arround it

I want a real editor not what i've now!

Bigger/longer tracks should be possible with alots of options.
At the moment the course maker is very boring, especially the landscape arround it

I want a better course maker for shorter tracks. Something in between a kart track and a full on circuit, about the size of Tsukuba. We need more small tracks like that.

How about we do what Trials Evolution did. (They had a Lite Creator and a Pro Creator) But we do it a bit like this :

Lite Creator - What GT5 has now with some added features.
Pro Creator - Create tracks from scratch and also have more control in general. (Time/Weather changeability, spectators, surface bumps, and other cosmetic extras.)

That way..everyone should be happy :)👍

Eks
How about we do what Trials Evolution did. (They had a Lite Creator and a Pro Creator) But we do it a bit like this :

Pro Creator - Create tracks from scratch and also have more control in general. (Time/Weather changeability, spectators, surface bumps, and other cosmetic extras.)

Good idea!

Eks

Yes. This. 👍
Takes a lot of time to build a free creator from scratch though. So I still say they should concentrate on core features like the racing first (although tracks are one of the main things in racing, without a proper AI we barely have anything to do on them, except online).

And they should allow intersections. :dopey: For cruise tracks this will be fun, but in racing for fun as well.

Yes. This. 👍
Takes a lot of time to build a free creator from scratch though. So I still say they should concentrate on core features like the racing first (although tracks are one of the main things in racing, without a proper AI we barely have anything to do on them, except online).

And they should allow intersections. :dopey: For cruise tracks this will be fun, but in racing for fun as well.

If you think about..making tracks from scratch would allow us to make intersections anyway :)
With the Pro Creator..we could also make overlapping tracks..bridges, etc.
Oh the possibilities...now let us hope PD will do it :D
Not having high hopes just in case.

I want to create loopings :). I don't want an arcade racer but loopings are possible in reality without a problem!
1 looping and several cars gives alot of fun :)!

Yes please.

And I want more templates for creating tracks. How about a city template complete with skyscrapers, underpasses, even tunnels? The land terrain would be relatively flat, but built features would be variable, in the same way that trees and gazebos are in GT5. God, I'd love this - it would even make up for the lack of SSR11... I don't believe this would be too difficult to make.

As for places like Eifel, you should be able to add landscape features of your own, like forests, grandstands, individual trees, burger vans, etc. This would also make different parts of the track are more easily identifiable.

Eks

Indeed. You should also be able to take a track generated from the "Lite Creator" and edit it within the Pro Creator to add your own touches to it.

Back