Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
Do you have nothing to add yourself?

What are your thoughts?

It seems strange to start a thread and yet have absolutely no input or opinion yourself.

Of course i do have my own opinion about it all. I just didn´t showed in the OP because i didn´t want to induce nobody in any way.

If you´re curious, these are my 2 cents:

1. For me, the course maker is priceless. I spend a lot of time trying to create the best tracks for drifting. Plus, i even created a thread to compilate the best ones.

2. Otherwise, i see some serious problems on it as it is right now:
- Sometimes the custom tracks hangs or have problems while loading online.
- People don´t sims so interested about it, or sometimes afraid of run on it (because they don´t know it). Also, its noticiable the lower visual quality on it, not only in the enviroment, but also in the camera replays.
- There´s not (but should) any database to compilate and rate these tracks. It would make a lot easier to share them.
- Also, only 1 shareable track by account... thats sad.
- No hability to full customization, or even decide witch direction it will runs.

3. About GT6:
- Yes, they cut a bit the need for new DLC tracks, witch is negative for the developers.
- It will be hard to find somebody to say that it´s unecessary, but sounds obvious that most people have other priorities for GT6 implementations. By the way, im not one of these guys.
- I can´t be so positive about the future. If you compare the features from Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting (diferent genre, i know, but still exclusives for PS3) we are seeing a huge backstep in this part. So i don´t have any clue if the Course Maker will be better, worse or even still in GT6.

Lazy Liquid
1. For me, the course maker is priceless. I spend a lot of time trying to create the best tracks for drifting. Plus, i even created a thread to compilate the best ones.

I agree. I wish we had more colors, blah, blah, but the course maker has so much unfulfilled possibility...

Increasing the visual quality is essential, both in game or for replays. Sharing 1 track is... Not just sad, it stifles creativity and community. How can any one try or care about something they have never seen?

If someone makes a great track, I want to be able to save it, run it, even to tweak it. Enjoy it, relish it. Currently? Not very possible, and in a tiny audience.

My son plays Mod Nation Racers. What he can choose to do when creating a track vs GT5 is simply embarrassing in my opinion. It is like we have Porky Pig running gymkhana circles around us, tweeting "C yaz!". Gt5 looks like PONG compared to some competitors.

I want to sculpt terrain, or upload from Google Earth or a CAD program, run from urban to road to gravel to city, etc.

Maybe start with a known terrain map, or be able to generate the map (hilly, flat, canyon, river valley/wide, coastal/narrow), then use the L or R wands to plot our course over terrain. Color code the road type so WE choose how long a section is...

Last edited:
Would like more settings and an immediate menu that pops up with either "Point to Point," "Circuit," or "Oval" options. You could more specifically set the distance, elevation changes, number of turns, and manipulate corners on an individual basis. In the case of ovals, you could give the turns varying degrees of banking.

You not only flesh out the track creator, but you can appease (to some level) everyone's DLC demands by making it easier to recreate real world tracks. This would be especially appreciated by the oval racing crowd, as distance and banking manipulation would make it extremely easy to create imitations of most major American ovals.

Combine something like this with a more in-depth, MNR-esque terrain/track creator, and you've got a massive selling point.

I'm just going to leave this here since I think the other thread will eventually be locked.

I want a point-to-point option! It would add so much more replay value to the game in terms of rally racing.

And if a few mountain pass options were added, we could create some fantastic twisty roads that both the drifters and racers would enjoy.

No if it ends up being the same as in GT5.

Yes, if we get at least another two new locations, point-to-point option and full time and weather change.

But I wouldn't really miss it.

A few more environment types would be nice to see in the track creator, just to help with variety. For example, what about an urban environment, similar to Tokyo R246, George V Paris or Seattle Circuit?

Not a dealbreaker, but it would be interesting if we could adjust the road surface quality on certain sections, so that maybe a certain part of the course is bumpy. Or fine-tune elevation changes so as to add a crest here and there for modest jumps, especially on rally courses.

Of course, point-to-point courses are a must as well.

I would like to see a general overhaul. GT5's system was okay, but it needs to move forward.

The biggest thing I can point to as an issue was the bumpiness of tight corners at MT. Aso, Leige, and Toscana tracks. These area's need to be smoothed out. This is all due to the fact that these corners are made up of many pie (slice) shaped flat spots. So as you drive over them the suspension is bouncing up and down violently, this causes many players to just spin out. Banking or increased camber makes this problem even worse.

I would like to see a better system for sharing. Like a searchable database like modnation racers had, with a list weekly favorites and so on. Being limited to the one track that a friend has up wasn't that handy.
Plus maybe a rating system so we can quantify the quality of these tracks.

I would also like to see an option to allow friends (or maybe anybody) to edit other peoples tracks. So you could you could leave it open to edit or lock it so only you can edit it.

Last edited:
What is the chances to see this again in GT6?
Was this feature well used in GT5 enough to have a comeback in GT6?
How this will bring less need for DLC tracks? Or not?
Any chance of this time the Course Maker gives full liberty of creation?

By the way, do you want to see it in GT6 or you think its unecessary?

I want to see this feature in GT6 but touched up. I think it would be foolish for PD not to include it in the next game. It's good to drive on a track that you created and also puts a twist on the game. But if they're going to put this back in the game, then I think that PD needs to have a look at UFG Games did it for ModNation Racers. There was no limitations on the layout of the track except a track length limit and you could literally drive out your track. You could also choose the theme of it and change the texture of the road as well as decorating the track with props.

I think this feature is here to stay hopefully not in it's current form though.

I hope it has more themes like cities, mountain range, and forest.

Point to Point racing would be neat as well.

Another thing that's actually more so at the top of my list is adding objects/life into the current themes. Seriously it was fun when I first began to play it, but after awhile the place felt so dead to me.

1. Great

2. Fantastic for a first iteration in the series. We were always stuck with what was on disc before.

3. Depends on how powerful the next version of the editor would be. If its just a more fleshed out version of the current system. I don't see people changing their opinions on wanting more more more. But if it has the ability to create closer representations of real world tracks. Then it will lessen the need.

4. I would be surprised actually if this isn't in future games anyways. As i know more companies are looking for more procedural ways of creating content. Hence a more robust Track editor is likely in the works. Not to mention issues with needing licenses for different tracks around the world. ie. Money, time it takes to map out the track.

5. Personally i love the feature, and only really got into it and appreciated its massive replay value a year or so after the game came out. I want to see it in the next game forsure.

I fully understand its limitations right now and why people do have difficulty with it. It isn't perfect for sure. It would be nice to piece together actual corners or at least have more say in the matter, also have the ability to change the location of the way points. Point to point races. Couple more locations.

I think the biggest positive for me with the track creator is the ability to create countless new tracks. Which for me has made the replay value so much greater.

Also for all those people looking for an open world game. I think this can be the closest thing to it. Some of the tracks you can make give you(me)the feel of driving out on a back road somewhere. I created a few tracks that were very windy and some with more straights for top end speed. I fell in love with the tuscan tarmac.
👍

Anybody who expects Modnation quality tracks. HUGE face-palm to that. If you expect it to be that way in GT6, then we'll see that type of Course Maker on the PS4 and maybe not even then.

Definitely, this needs to be in GT6. Sharing tracks, like someone pointed out, should be more efficient. One shareable track and only through friends? It's way more limited in that sense since we won't see a total track editor.
I think this feature is here to stay hopefully not in it's current form though.

I hope it has more themes like cities, mountain range, and forest.

Point to Point racing would be neat as well.

Another thing that's actually more so at the top of my list is adding objects/life into the current themes. Seriously it was fun when I first began to play it, but after awhile the place felt so dead to me.
I agree with what's in bold.

Personally, I think they should do away with it. The time they'll spend rehasing GT5's or even making major changes to it could be spent modeling more cars and tracks.

EDIT: Fixed whats Underlined it was a typo.

Last edited:
Personally, I think they should do away with it. The time they spent rehasing GT5's or even making major changes to it could be spent modeling more cars and tracks.

Umm, that was like what? Once? :odd:

In all honesty it needed MORE updates....

Personally, I think they should do away with it. The time they spent rehasing GT5's or even making major changes to it could be spent modeling more cars and tracks.

I'm going to disagree with you and I'm going to tell you why. For me, Gran Turismo 5 became boring when I knew all the tracks in the game back to front and could even produce a clear picture of it in my head along with the fact that there aren't many A-Spec events to do but that's irrelevant to the topic. Now, if we could produce our own tracks like in ModNation Racers*, Gran Turismo 5 would probably still be somewhat fun to this day.

There is no way to decorate the custom made tracks and therefore they all end up looking very boring and dull. There is no way to layout the track exactly as you want it, which might be annoying. When creating an off-road track, there is no way to change the texture of the road from dirt/snow/ice/tarmac depending on the theme. Of course I would like to see a Course Maker properly made in GT6 and I would even give up some of the premium cars in the final game just to have it.

EDIT: Some people may say that the way of producing tracks in MNR would be unrealistic in GT5, but hey, GT5 is unrealistic in ways that doesn't even involve driving. Take painting a car for example, in real life. If Gran Turismo 5 simulated real life car painting then you'd be waiting for about 1-2.5 hours just to paint your car another colour. Producing tracks doesn't have to be realistic, just the driving physics of the cars.

Last edited:
I would rather they just focus on modelling more tracks. The course maker tracks are never going to make up for proper tracks.

I would rather they just focus on modelling more tracks. The course maker tracks are never going to make up for proper tracks.

This too, unless the Course Maker is modelled properly. I would also would like to see much more Real Life tracks in Gran Turismo 6.

I'm going to disagree with you and I'm going to tell you why. For me, Gran Turismo 5 became boring when I knew all the tracks in the game back to front and could even produce a clear picture of it in my head along with the fact that there aren't many A-Spec events to do but that's irrelevant to the topic. Now, if we could produce our own tracks like in ModNation Racers*, Gran Turismo 5 would probably still be somewhat fun to this day.

There is no way to decorate the custom made tracks and therefore they all end up looking very boring and dull. There is no way to layout the track exactly as you want it, which might be annoying. When creating an off-road track, there is no way to change the texture of the road from dirt/snow/ice/tarmac depending on the theme. Of course I would like to see a Course Maker properly made in GT6 and I would even give up some of the premium cars in the final game just to have it.

EDIT: Some people may say that the way of producing tracks in MNR would be unrealistic in GT5, but hey, GT5 is unrealistic in ways that doesn't even involve driving. Take painting a car for example, in real life. If Gran Turismo 5 simulated real life car painting then you'd be waiting for about 1-2.5 hours just to paint your car another colour. Producing tracks doesn't have to be realistic, just the driving physics of the cars.
If you're talking about me, then that's not what I meant at all.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, they are probably only barely related to each other.

One more thing I wanted to add is that if there are to be new theme's (which I really hope for) they need a Nascar banked Oval theme of various lenghts. I'm not a huge Nascar fan but i see these types of tracks requested alot.

Also a GymKhana theme that would simply be a large open space where we could set up cones (or other fun obstacles) or maybe paint lines on the ground. Something like the coffee break sections of the GT4 license tests.

I agree with this, but also disagree while they probably won't make up for real life tracks in GT6 what about the future.

Thinking about it's like Littlebigplanet thought that game wouldn't succeed way back when, but look at it today people creating stuff like crazy you know.

GT5 was a start and GT6 will be a make or break for the feature.

I would like to see a general overhaul. GT5's system was okay, but it needs to move forward.

The biggest thing I can point to as an issue was the bumpiness of tight corners at MT. Aso, Leige, and Toscana tracks. These area's need to be smoothed out. This is all due to the fact that these corners are made up of many pie (slice) shaped flat spots. So as you drive over them the suspension is bouncing up and down violently, this causes many players to just spin out. Banking or increased camber makes this problem even worse.

I would like to see a better system for sharing. Like a searchable database like modnation racers had, with a list weekly favorites and so on. Being limited to the one track that a friend has up wasn't that handy.
Plus maybe a rating system so we can quantify the quality of these tracks.

I would also like to see an option to allow friends (or maybe anybody) to edit other peoples tracks. So you could you could leave it open to edit or lock it so only you can edit it.

Some good suggestions!

The resolution of the track might be easy enough to improve, or if there are issues with polycount, maybe they could do it dynamically, so only put more polygons where curvature is greater. Just a bit of extra optimisation work in the "pre-processing" of the course. They also need to improve the general paths of the courses to give more variation.

I think we should be getting something along the lines of a catalogue of user-generated content. It really is the future of gaming; Kaz really liked the concept in ModNationRacers.
One more thing I wanted to add is that if there are to be new theme's (which I really hope for) they need a Nascar banked Oval theme of various lenghts. I'm not a huge Nascar fan but i see these types of tracks requested alot.

Also a GymKhana theme that would simply be a large open space where we could set up cones (or other fun obstacles) or maybe paint lines on the ground. Something like the coffee break sections of the GT4 license tests.

There have been new course creator-like tracks spied in trailers in the past, so there's a good chance that there already are extra themes. I had hoped they'd add a few as the game went on, but it doesn't look like they will now. I expect we'll get quite a few of them in GT6, and hopefully they'll mix it up in similar ways as you suggest - maybe include a stunt theme for a bit of light relief.

Nice avatar by the way. ;)

I loved the feature!
It should definitely be included in GT6, but I'd like to see some more advanced editing being made available to those that want to make that extra something special. Also I being able to add that one special corner that every international track has, like Laguna Secas Corkscrew, Suzukas R... Etc. with scope to be able to modify it too. Even if u had to 'purchase' those special parts with credits/exp... What do you think?
Being able to add things to the backgrounds like a Dunlop bridge could be quite cool gimmicks
& at least 12 different locations & be able to specify what type of track, road, race track, kart, rally etc

What I don't like about the course maker is that tracks are basically a huge twisty oval with random elevation changes. They all feel the same. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, but what I mean is that it's impossible to make tracks such as Suzuka, SSR5, TGTT and others which are technically "8" shaped.

It would be nice to have an option to really twist the road and shape it to our desires, as well as to mix surfaces like gravel and tarmac fo rally.

But still, I wouldn't really miss this feature.

It needs to return for The GT series. It showed up so it better stay. I like racing on my created tracks and others also. It's like driving on your home turf, dispatching of people who show up and going to beat people on their turf to show them who's boss.
It better stay and get better. Just needs point to point and better options. It better stay.

My thoughts, well, anyone remember this? Back before the release of GT5, Kaz played MNR. As you can see in the video, he loved the creative aspect to it. I also remember Kaz stating afterwards that he wanted to put much more into the course maker, but his team didn't have time as GT5 was overdue. This leads me to believe that the next course maker will be much more in depth (But sadly probably not as in depth as MNR).

My main problem is similar in that they're all the same and it's really hard to memorize and get good at the tracks because there are no landmarks and no braking markers. Nothing to judge your braking or turn in and then a lot of tracks usually throw blind crests and off camber corners making for very bland, hard to love tracks.

Left Turn
Personally, I think they should do away with it. The time they'll spend rehasing GT5's or even making major changes to it could be spent modeling more cars and tracks.

EDIT: Fixed whats Underlined it was a typo.

Wow, just wow... Wow... Really, seriously…
So you can get some hypercar that you'll lose interest in. I don't get this comment. It constantly shows up on this site.

As the other yaysayers have said, the Course Maker should return in GT6, but be extensively improved. In particular, giving us the creative freedom of the course maker in ModNation Racers is the way to go. In HD of course. Giving us some basic tools for forming terrain, dropping in elements like trees, spectator stands, buildings, railing and fencing, pit lanes, and as Simon grouched about, braking and curb markers would allow us to get something resembling missing tracks many of us have asked for. Like classic GT tracks such as Red Rock Valley, or real life similitudes such as Road America or Atlanta. Heck, if they put map makers in shooters, why not a serious course creator in GT6?

Latest Posts

Back