Cricket: The Official Thread

• Thread starter Casio
  • 297 comments
[thread resurrection]

Damn you Sri Lanka. Handing us our first loss of the tournament :grumpy:

Still, we beat South Africa by five wickets, so now we're in the semis :)

remaining matches:

Mon 16 43rd Match, Super Eights - Australia v Sri Lanka
National Cricket Stadium, St George's, Grenada

Tue 17 44th Match, Super Eights - England v South Africa
Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

Wed 18 45th Match, Super Eights - Ireland v Sri Lanka

Thu 19 46th Match, Super Eights - West Indies v Bangladesh

Fri 20 47th Match, Super Eights - Australia v New Zealand

Sat 21 48th Match, Super Eights - West Indies v England

Monday Tuesday and Friday's matches will be interesting. Pakistan's out, but im still anxious to see the semis and the final. i figure nz, australia, and lanka made it.. and south africa, if england loses. regardless, i cant wait til tuesday wednesday and saturday of next week. (fixtures found thanks to cricinfo.com :) )

The big match is defnitely the NZ/Aust game. We've beaten them on our last three meetings. Can we make it four?

We're Australia's biggest threat to the World Cup title, I feel. :)

:grumpy:

However, I will say that Australia seems to suck badly at defending large (300+) totals... twice in the CH series we chased down 330+ :sly:

So, if Australia bat first, we'll win :P

I suppose because they're into the final 4 regardless, no need to risk players getting injured, or in the case of Malinga making a possible injury worse.

EDIT: Or now is alleged, that they wanted to loss because, as I said, they're guaranteed to be in the top 4, furthermore, they're guaranteed to finish 2nd or 3rd, and Australia now 1st, so they don't have to play Australia in the semi-finals.

Herald Sun pg 86
Although publicly denying it, Sri Lankan players privately admitted the sole purpose of the plan was to play New Zealand in the Semi Finals

And Peter Moores is the new coach on a permanent basis starting on the 1st May.

Former Sussex coach (my county) and currently in charge of the England Academy. Very good coach.

Sri Lanka is in. I noticed the last two matches the Kiwi's move away from the thread :lol:

Bring on Sudafica!

Should be an exciting final, after what can only be described as a thoroughly somniferous World Cup. 47 days and a murder later, it's a small wonder anybody is still watching. It's also quite amazing how badly some teams can play and survive. England have been unbelievably crap, and yet they were still in with a shout until not that long ago. Same with SA. Atleast a couple of decent teams have made it to the final.

Reason why we lasted so long was because of India's and Pakistan's exit at the first round. The WC has been far too long, as Speed has admitted.

Not long until the first test of the summer now...

Damn. Lost three of our final four games.

Those annoying Lankans, beating us twice this tournament :|

But Murali cheats! Oram was not out, how could the umpire possibly give Oram out when Murali's hand was on top of the ball as it hit the ground!

OK, Oram walked, but still... Murali cheated. :grumpy:

OKay so were are batting first and we are 352-4. Cook 105 and Colly has just passed his 4th Test hundred. Bell is on about 60* atm. Going along well but they aren't bowling that well. Decent pitch a bit of swing for the bowlers.

500 would be good, Prior in next!

They did bowl well at times, Bravo was good. We did bat well (not being biassed) but yes the bowling was poor, but not surprising as the team have only had 48 overs of Cricket before the Test on this tour! Prior was fab, First English keeper to score a hundred in 3 years, first in history to do it on debut.

Well the test ended in a draw, Hoggards injury rendered out bowling attack as one man and two ordinary bowlers.

13 man squad for Headingley, starting on Friday.

Vaughan
Strauss
Cook
KP
Colly
Bell
Prior
Flintoff
Panesar
harmison
Plunkett
Sidebottom
Anderson

Well we thrashed the West Indies with over a day left despite losing a whole days play to the weather. KP hit his maiden test hundred, Sidebottom bowled well and took 8 wickets on his comeback and Harmison found some rythym. The West Indies are in a terrible state atm and given Sarwans tour ending injury they look even worse. I'd actually say that they have a weaker bowling attack than Bangladesh.

Onions, Mustard, Sidebottom, take your pick of English county players.

I heard recently of one player in India called Napoleon Einstein...

I've not been this nervous since the 5th day at the Oval in 2005! WIndies need 150 odd and we need 5 wickets. Their tail is fairly long though.

So nervous!

A lad at work plays club cricket (right arm fast bowler) and is mates with Onions since he was loaned out to their club a couple of years ago.

Colly as 1 day captain. Good for him , I hope he does well. He deserves it with recent performances.

Back