Czinger's 21C is a 270mph, 3D-Printed, V8 Hybrid Hypercar

This is going to shake up the hyper/mega car world a little bit. It dosent seem to threaten any top speed records but the acceleration seems on par with the Rimac C2, 2021 Tesla roadster and these other new breeds of high hp cars. That projected quarter mile time is just insane though.

Top Gear released a video earlier today which looks at the car, and how it's made, in a bit more detail. There may be a more from Top Gear about it soon according to the chap in the vid. Interesting choice of the inline seating arrangement. The way it is made is innovative. And if those times are real for the acceleration, it's a rocket ship. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
That suspension arm is a piece of art. Koenigsegg has finally met its match it seems. Would be interesting to see how the Jesko responds to this. More power but heavier, and probably more downforce (for comparison, the One:1 already has 830kg of downforce compard to the Czinger's 790kg, although that's at top speed compared to the Czinger's 155mph).

Last edited:
I'm not usually the one to call hypercars ugly but...

I don't like it. From the front it's very, uhh, phallic.

I guess that makes sense with the whole 3D printing thing, considering what most of the early 3D printing innovations consisted of...

Koenigsegg has finally met its match it seems.
Fun fact: Czinger's CTO is Jon Gunner, a Swedish aerospace engineer (Fokker, Saab) who spent 12 years at Koenigsegg and was technical director on the Agera R, Regera and One:1.

"2.88 litre 80 degree flat plane V8"

It's two Kawasaki ZX-14 engines, isn't it? :)
That's 400+ bhp before you add the turbos.

I love these organic, topology-optimised / generative design structures. You can even fairly easily "design" them at home and get them "printed". Amazing.

"2.88 litre 80 degree flat plane V8"

It's two Kawasaki ZX-14 engines, isn't it? :)
That's 400+ bhp before you add the turbos.

I love these organic, topology-optimised / generative design structures. You can even fairly easily "design" them at home and get them "printed". Amazing.
This is not surprising, considering the Suzuki Escudo Dirt Trial Car from the late 90s already produced a mind-numbing 995PS from its own 2.5L twin-turbo V6 back then but of course, that wasn't a road car.

This is not surprising, considering the Suzuki Escudo Dirt Trial Car from the late 90s already produced a mind-numbing 995PS from its own 2.5L twin-turbo V6 back then but of course, that wasn't a road car.
Which itself wasn't a patch on the first turbo era in F1.

I suppose I just wonder if this wouldn't have been more interesting (to me) without the turbos, electric motors and battery pack.

It's very interesting, but I just can't get on-board with the center driving position. I get that it's more optimal for driving, but it's not as optimal for sharing the experience.

An 'in-house developed' 2.88ltr twin turbo V8 with a 11,000rpm red line? Wonder what sort of warranty they'll offer with that?

Was curious about the manufacturing process after reading the article and watched this video. Really just a combination of 3D printed parts bolted together in a cell rather than on a line. They're taking advantage of 3D printing yielding more intricate shapes than conventional casting or forging with a milled finish (neat), though I'm curious on their 3D print material properties over a milled forging. The robotic assembly cell in lieu of assembly line makes sense for small scale production. The specialization of labor allowed by an assembly line is still going to be more efficient for mass production. Robotic placement and joining of chassis components is not new, major automakers do it today in weld shops on an assembly line. A lot of hype in the video.

--

The article says the chassis is 3D printed carbon nanotubes. I can't find any other reference to that; would be curious to better understand if the 3D printed carbon is really of the nanotube variety or chopped fiber or continuous fiber or something else?

Also, I would not expect a car made using more conventional manufacturing methods to weigh significantly more.

Well it ain't going 270 with that wing and canards and probably the mirrors too, that's for sure. And it beat the Senna by 2 seconds but did it without headlights which means the car wasn't street legal. So.

And to be clear, the process for "printing" metal is called laser sintering. There is no ink-like liquid metal involved in the process. Another name is additive welding. It's got a real future for mass-produced parts - even Stuttgart's Formula Student team was using laser sintered uprights and various other details on their car.

Edit: I think I'm being too hard on the car. I'm just a bit fed up with all these super duper cars claiming this and that and then selling all five examples to some hyper rich person who will never drive it again. It all seems like a waste to me. That said, I remember being 10 years old and scouring the internet to learn about the various hyper cars that existed back in the 90s, before they ever began marketing these things or showing up in mass media. We literally had to dig through the net to find information about them, and they were all legendary vehicles. Nowadays, everything has a whole Youtube series detailing its development. I do love seeing the development of these cars, I love the details, but something about them hits different these days than when I was a kid and I can't put my finger on it.

Also, wasn't there a tuning company like a decade or more ago called Czinger? I feel like they modified Porsches or something. I could swear that name used to be a thing and it was unaffiliated with this new car.

Last edited:
Well it ain't going 270 with that wing and canards and probably the mirrors too, that's for sure. And it beat the Senna by 2 seconds but did it without headlights which means the car wasn't street legal. So.

And to be clear, the process for "printing" metal is called laser sintering. There is no ink-like liquid metal involved in the process. Another name is additive welding. It's got a real future for mass-produced parts - even Stuttgart's Formula Student team was using laser sintered uprights and various other details on their car.

Edit: I think I'm being too hard on the car. I'm just a bit fed up with all these super duper cars claiming this and that and then selling all five examples to some hyper rich person who will never drive it again. It all seems like a waste to me. That said, I remember being 10 years old and scouring the internet to learn about the various hyper cars that existed back in the 90s, before they ever began marketing these things or showing up in mass media. We literally had to dig through the net to find information about them, and they were all legendary vehicles. Nowadays, everything has a whole Youtube series detailing its development. I do love seeing the development of these cars, I love the details, but something about them hits different these days than when I was a kid and I can't put my finger on it.

Also, wasn't there a tuning company like a decade or more ago called Czinger? I feel like they modified Porsches or something. I could swear that name used to be a thing and it was unaffiliated with this new car.
I think because some of these types of cars are done in such small numbers, it is like a collecting game for billionaires, with few being seen to be actually used. The Czinger is certainly different, and the production techniques are certainly revolutionary. Get the billionaires to pay for the tech experiments. ;) :lol:

Are you maybe thinking about Singer when it comes to Porsches? 😳😍

Top Gear did point out the car is made to show what's possible. It's not supposed to be a Veyron killer.

I understand many projects involve more dollars than sense. But at least some are living their dreams. Whether that's to put food on the table, vanity or boredom.

Other than making a soapbox derby car, would be cool to build my own car from scratch, from my own sketches.

For me its the human element. Older cars look like great engineering from the hands , the human brain, from car lovers. Today they look like machines created by computers from engineers. It just doesn't impress me hearing all these numbers either, not forgetting performance isn't just about top trumps but how long the car can perform for in one session. The name also keeps ring a bell with me too, pretty sure it was Porches they modified.

I think it's one hell of an achievement. McLaren knows how to build their cars, and the Senna is one of their most extreme road legal models. Design wise it's all about aero and lightweight. To come out and make your own hypercar, and immediately beat it is still pretty amazing. This is not a stripped WTAC car that needs an engine rebuild every few hundred miles. It seats two, it's road legal, and it looks a lot better than the Senna. 2 seconds is a lot around a short track like Laguna (moreso when you consider it gets exponentially harder to lower laptime the faster you are). Laguna also is a pretty tight track, which doesn't play to this car's strengths. Go somewhere like Spa and this car will be right up there with the Koenigsegg One:1 I reckon.

It has real thought put into the aero too, unlike most supercars that claims big but actually have a lot of design features dictated by styling instead of actual performance.

Last edited:
Go somewhere like Spa and this car will be right up there with the Koenigsegg One:1 I reckon.
Keep in mind that downforce increases as an exponent of speed. Laguna Seca has both low top speeds and low cornering speeds so it's helpful to have a lot of mechanical grip since not much downforce will be generated at any setting. A track like Spa much higher speed corners where it's easy to generate lots of downforce. It doesn't look like the Czinger has DRS but it's got the power to run through all that downforce. I think the Czinger would handily beat anything Koenigsegg offers, or anything anybody else offers, at a track like Spa.

Back