"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Couple of 19:15:XX total times on daily race C this week.

_20190519_181031.JPG
_20190519_181052.JPG
_20190519_181116.JPG
_20190519_181001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Quickly going back to the braking point chat from yesterday/day before.

For us running AT our down shifting is defined by and is and entirely at the mercy of the game mechanics when we brake and reduce speed.

Question for those of you running MT, as you have control of the when you shift, can you use the engine braking to your advantage and therefore brake a bit later?

I gear down late, hardly ever use engine braking. If you gear down too early / too much you have a chance of the wheels locking up. The only place on Sarthe where I use a bit of engine braking is in the Porsche curves where the fast left transitions to a right. Shift down to 4th (depending on the car) while lifting to slow down without braking.

The big advantage of MT is that you can stay in a higher gear through a corner and don't have the delay of upshifting again at corner exit. Plus timing the upshift can help make the corner if it looks like you're drifting a bit too much to the outside. Instead of lifting to make the corner then let AT slow you again to upshift at corner exit, upshift where you needed to lift.

I like the Huracan too, but it's just not gripping well on this track. So, far I'm over a second faster in the WRX and Lancer.
4C is the slowest I've tried, so far. I know some people can drive it really well, but it's too slippery for me.

I have a feeling the straights of DT will not be kind to the 4C, I think I had my best lap in a TT or RCZ last time here.

At the highest levels, I bet the 4C and the Huracan will both be meta on DT Gardens. But if you don't need those last few tenths, you can probably pull off some competitive times with several other cars. You have 2 distinct sections of track here, long straights, then twisty bits. Huracans, Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs, maybe even a Lexus or an AMG will excel on the straights without losing too much time in the twisty parts. 4C's, Lancers, Caymans, 86's will stand out for their handling but will get passed on the straight without enough of a gap. With tire wear off, the 4C can still be OP but not nearly as much. I love this track.

At the highest levels, I bet the 4C and the Huracan will both be meta on DT Gardens. But if you don't need those last few tenths, you can probably pull off some competitive times with several other cars. You have 2 distinct sections of track here, long straights, then twisty bits. Huracans, Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs, maybe even a Lexus or an AMG will excel on the straights without losing too much time in the twisty parts. 4C's, Lancers, Caymans, 86's will stand out for their handling but will get passed on the straight without enough of a gap. With tire wear off, the 4C can still be OP but not nearly as much. I love this track.

DT Gardens is one of the tracks where I can be competitive with the Veyron. Love using that car when it's not ridiculously out performed. Looking forward to giving it a few runs

Here’s one of the two “Daily Race” lobby races I was able to join last night with several of the GTP crew. Sometimes you win because you’re fast, sometimes because of other’s mistakes...and sometimes it’s a little of both.

This race got pretty intense, and needless to say, there was some rubbin.

Had a great battle with @NosOsH and @RZQSPEED working our way through the pack. Thanks @Pigems for the lobby! Also shoutout to @JohnEB, @Stencedaddy and SDDDJ4 (can’t find your GTP name!) for the fun races.

Enjoy!

Wow! So that's what it looked like up front? :lol:
I started 4th in this one, and promptly mowed lawn at turn 6 lol.

Those races were awesome! It really felt good racing with everyone knowing that no one had bad intentions. And, weren't "gaming" the system to win at all costs. Learned a lot from you guys. Can't wait until next Saturday.

GTP name is "Qyn" Winnie. Didn't really think the name thing through when I signed up for GTP. Hind sight is 20/20 though. There were a few times I've shared the track with some of you. I'd speak, and greet in the pre/post race chatter, and no one would respond :banghead:. Wish I could change it to match now!:lol:

I think you called it on the Hurican and 4C being the metas. I seem to remember that from last time this combo was run. Favorite of mine as well! I love the WRX on here but I’m going to try everything in search of a much needed win. Glad there’s so much input on this race already!

I like the Huracan too, but it's just not gripping well on this track. So, far I'm over a second faster in the WRX and Lancer.
4C is the slowest I've tried, so far. I know some people can drive it really well, but it's too slippery for me.

Last time I was fastest in the Mazda. Mid 1.38 or there abouts.

I like the Lancer at DT Gardens too.

Got the Toyota 86 down to low 1.39 in practice today, but more risky at the chicane.

@zavisic_ Yes you are too fast, I think that was my only race from the front all week so I was a bit down on pace after getting so used to running behind slower cars. :lol: Also got undercut due to mistakes meaning that gap was too small and they either did a rapid pit or out lap and then I was stuck and almost got passed again after making more small errors. Mind you even running nearer my best you'd have still won by at least 15 seconds, top job and no fluke either because (as shown) you've done it again and again. 👍

Qyn
Wow! So that's what it looked like up front? :lol:
I started 4th in this one, and promptly mowed lawn at turn 6 lol.

Those races were awesome! It really felt good racing with everyone knowing that no one had bad intentions. And, weren't "gaming" the system to win at all costs. Learned a lot from you guys. Can't wait until next Saturday.

GTP name is "Qyn" Winnie. Didn't really think the name thing through when I signed up for GTP. Hind sight is 20/20 though. There were a few times I've shared the track with some of you. I'd speak, and greet in the pre/post race chatter, and no one would respond :banghead:. Wish I could change it to match now!:lol:

It was great to race with you again last night, it had been a while, well done. :cheers:

Also, you can now change your PSN name, it’s free to do once and $5 for each time after that. :)

I did some quick testing on Dragon Trail Gardens, there were a couple surprises in there. One being the Ferrari, it’s fast but tricky to control. The big one being the NSX, it has power AND it turns. :)

Edit: Scratch that comment about the Honda, it had medium tires on it. I knew something was fishy there, it’s never that fast. :lol:

The list is now corrected with the Honda in its proper place. :)
DCC2BD9E-3728-4B7C-8DBA-F0EAFE4ED28B.jpeg

7B83081D-6EF0-4C9B-9646-4F8C5516EB52.jpeg
D525F792-3F34-4EA0-8106-EF2DCC318D79.jpeg
5988B4A9-059D-4FC5-9A72-6C4D40E7C9F2.jpeg
B44F9E19-51E5-4A5B-8B1B-D3C528F42338.jpeg
60E72507-D578-4706-B990-CFB02712BD42.jpeg
4D62B074-52BB-4E07-B48E-FC40F96784DD.jpeg
D9AD4A10-2B96-4DB9-9A5D-82A8699BEBC5.jpeg
CD5E83E0-677D-4E3C-87BC-C77EA0E559BB.jpeg
D19E7973-FE1F-48EF-84C4-72188CF6645D.jpeg

076962BB-75D3-4DEF-BBA0-724249BEB645.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to have a lot of success in the Gr.4 class, but am not really competitive, nowadays. I think one of the updates took some of the grip away. They also took some power out of the Lambo, which is the main one that I won a bunch of races with.

Last time we did this race, the top guy was 1:36.1. In practice, this morning, I was low 1:39s. If I can't get under 1:38 in Time Trials, I think I'll just start at the back and use a car that I enjoy driving.

I'm thinking Mustang. It's just loose enough to be fun to drive. Plus, I've got a fun new livery for it that will probably get me reported. :lol:

Last edited:
It was great to race with you again last night, it had been a while, well done. :cheers:

Also, you can now change your PSN name, it’s free to do once and $5 for each time after that. :)

I did some quick testing on Dragon Trail Gardens, there were a couple surprises in there. One being the Ferrari, it’s fast but tricky to control. The big one being the NSX, it has power AND it turns. :)

Edit: Scratch that comment about the Honda, it had medium tires on it. I knew something was fishy there, it’s never that fast. :lol:

The list is now corrected with the Honda in its proper place. :)
View attachment 822089
View attachment 822073 View attachment 822074 View attachment 822075 View attachment 822076 View attachment 822077 View attachment 822078 View attachment 822079 View attachment 822081 View attachment 822082
View attachment 822088
Wow! That NSX though! :eek: I haven't driven it since game launch. Guess I'll just have to give it a go. Thanks for the info :D.

Edit: Last night was awesome! And, to prove it I went back to La Sarthe and got a dub with the Aston lol. Told told you guys I'd get faster running with ya! :bowdown:

Also, sent you a PM about the name change thing. Didn't want to crowd the daily discussions with it :P.

Last edited:
Only two laps in my "Alfa" Megane, Scirocco "GTI" and TCR WRX. The Scirocket did a 38.6, Megane, 39.0, WRX 39.6.

Last time I ran with the Scirocco and won races. Has the off throttle tuck in at T1, tight handling at the chicane, hairpin, esses, The Four Brothers and 3rd gear pull everywhere.

The TTs were a bit of a problem when I raced them, but I beat them. I used the RCZ as well, but I was faster in the VW. In recent races, we see the WRX was a surprise at Autopolis and Interlagos. I might also try my M4. It's been a solid performer.

Qyn

Haha, I'm familiar with both of your names I just don't always connect the dots of who's who. There are so many names to remember, and I don't regularly see you since I usually only do FIA races these days. I think I'll remember from here on out since we had this little convo. Thanks for the races!

Well I’m pretty much done with the daily races on GTS. The racing is just getting worse with the ramming and overall poor race craft it’s starting to feel like Forza at times. I’ll just do lobbies. This game is like getting back with an ex girlfriend, you remember the good times but forget the bad times. I’ve gone back to PC2

Those results are interesting, I definitely remember the 4C being the alien car of choice last time with this combo since it was around the time I started to use it. Trophy and Cayman were competitive choices as well with the Huracan being barely used.

Maybe recent balance, grip and physics changes have tipped the Huracan in favour of it and everything else.

You're getting that time in auto?? Damn!

From what I could tell, manual is really good for exiting the slowest corners of the track. After that, it's pretty much the same with auto. But since I'm not used to manual, my driving suffers and I end losing time in the parts where it's even with auto.

I hope to see more sf dailies soon. That car makes me look way better than I am lol.

Those results are interesting, I definitely remember the 4C being the alien car of choice last time with this combo since it was around the time I started to use it. Trophy and Cayman were competitive choices as well with the Huracan being barely used.

Maybe recent balance, grip and physics changes have tipped the Huracan in favour of it and everything else.

The 4C is probably still good, I’ve never been one who can get the most out of it. Same for the Huracan and TT, I’ve got the most time in those cars so that’s probably why they ended up near the top for me, I’m just more familiar with them. :)

Now I've driven a lot more qualifying laps for Race B, I'm really noticing the dirty air in races. When I first raced it, I just thought the braking seemed a bit unpredictable, but now I'm more certain about the exact braking points and usual behaviour in qualifying, it's pretty obvious how much grip you lose when behind another car in the race. On the one hand you want to be close to the car in front to keep a slipstream, but on the other it makes everything less predictable.

Got my QT down to 3:58.2, which got me pole in a B/S lobby. Next race it mixed us in with some As and A+s for some reason, but even finishing 10th raised my DR a bit.

I've tested a few different cars, but only the Peugeot VGT got close to the Mclaren F1 for me.

You're getting that time in auto?? Damn!

From what I could tell, manual is really good for exiting the slowest corners of the track. After that, it's pretty much the same with auto. But since I'm not used to manual, my driving suffers and I end losing time in the parts where it's even with auto.

I'm an auto-transmission pleb myself, but for the past few months I've been driving Gr.4 and below using MT. What I've learned is that the higher you go in power, the less time you lose using AT. This is the same for TCS as well. In Gr.2 and above, high power high downforce cars, I can keep up and even be competitive with some of the aliens in the game (some, not all) even when using AT and TCS2. The lower the power and speed, the more those extra revs matter, and you actually lose a lot of time. For N-class cars, don't even think about it if you're trying to be competitive. The auto-transmission in this game is really good overall though, and does a fairly decent job of putting you in the gear you should be in. It occasionally doesn't downshift low enough for slow corners, and will never rev very long once it hits redline, which is where some cars' power curve peaks. The biggest down side is not being able to fuel save without using fuel map by short-shifting, especially if you compete in FIA where fuel can really matter. I try to be a good example of not letting assists deter people from trying and having fun. I'm not the best in the game by far, but I think most people would be satisfied with the results I've had while using assists.

Now I've driven a lot more qualifying laps for Race B, I'm really noticing the dirty air in races. When I first raced it, I just thought the braking seemed a bit unpredictable, but now I'm more certain about the exact braking points and usual behaviour in qualifying, it's pretty obvious how much grip you lose when behind another car in the race. On the one hand you want to be close to the car in front to keep a slipstream, but on the other it makes everything less predictable.

Got my QT down to 3:58.2, which got me pole in a B/S lobby. Next race it mixed us in with some As and A+s for some reason, but even finishing 10th raised my DR a bit.

I've tested a few different cars, but only the Peugeot VGT got close to the Mclaren F1 for me.

Yeah the dirty air will really get you. Always brake a little early if you're following someone closely in their slipstream. Not only could they have a different brake point than you, but they will stop in a shorter distance because your car is now lacking downforce being in the dirty air. One trick is to stay in their slipstream as long as possible until you're approaching the braking zone, then get out of the dirty air before you brake. This will not only allow you to control the car better under braking, but depending on the scenario it could also position you for a move up the inside if it's there for the taking. Even if you don't go for the move, it might make the guy in front worried and he could make a mistake or compromise his entry trying to go defensive. You can then likely get the better exit on him and make the pass before the next corner. I do this all the time, sometimes you send it, sometimes you fake it.

Last edited:
I've had I think 18 races this week, and got my DR back to where it was. I've enjoyed race A, because I love those 356s and also its a throttle track in that car and I am quicker with a throttle track. I started with a win, then got belted up in three races in a row, and lost a couple of thousand DR. The gear trick though was not known by everyone and thanks to those who taught me, what a cheat! Then I started to win.

I decided to run 10 laps without a crash, and I did that 4 or 5 times. At one minute a lap, that was 10 minutes a session, but it took me over an hour. So I got consistent but I actually slowed down a fair bit. So I changed to the rear view, and I learn't where I was slow - namely at corner three, I was too tight there. The fast guys actually go off the track a bit - way to the right - but I can't do that without loosing control. I suspect a hand controller is better to react in that situation. So I thought I cannot push the pre-corner entry spots as much as those with a controller. I would like to try some pure qual laps to try that but may not have time left. I then switched back to the bumper view and I was faster, due to corner 3, and more feel on the long corner 5 leading onto the main straight.

I got up to 7 clean race bonuses in a row, but then, when lapping a car - who was driving around like he was off to buy a pint of milk - the yellow flags came out and I wondered if he was properly transparent, so I swerved and then put my foot down, and then spun ... old age caught me out there I reckon.

I learn't: The 356 is a Porsche and hence it follows the old Porsche maxim - slow in - fast out. The earlier one gets on the power the better. In the races my best time in front has been a 58.82, which did not feel quick. Strange. Best pre race qual time was 58.514, which makes me want to do some pure qualifying runs. Last race I had a beauty with a Thai guy with a 58.2xx ... he was a bit wild on the main straight running on the sand which would have spun me out. He was very fast there. I think with a wheel you cannot push the edges of the track because you cannot respond quick enough. Hence the controller is quite fast at Brands - but then the throttle control must surely be inferior? That Thai chap could have punted me at the end of the straight, but he did not, it was much appreciated by me, but he left after the race and I couldn't thank him. Nice to race fast guys who don't punt you out.

Last edited:
Fun fact: PD can only ban/delete decals from your collection. If you've already applied them to your cars, apparently they can't do much about that.

I don't upload decals. I add the one's other people upload to my collection. I found some a couple weeks ago that were, umm, not exactly the most tasteful, now they are gone from my collection and there's just yellow triangles in their place. I had already applied them to my Gr.4 Mustang, and they are still on the car.

I didn't know it works like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back