"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess all that practice at the 'Ring a couple months ago paid off- got my first win! And by over 20 seconds- not sure what everybody else was doing. But I'll take it!

FPlqSXv.jpg

Argh, I didn't know N24 was on!!! Crap. It's the manufacturers which you can never enter without sitting through the contract signing first. I though there would be a 21:10 race but I guess the times for these FIA events have changed ages ago as well, missed it now :banghead:

One more chance at 23:00 :/ Bah, need to pay more attention to these events. Back to Sarthe then.

Four more races tonight.

wfzOylI.jpg

g63ewSM.jpg

eetzCo8.jpg

Only three screenshots, as I was too busy raging about, and explaining to the girlfriend, why my three second penalty for tapping an F1 was stupid, when he wiped out a fellow Nissan I was battling with, a few corners beforehand, without receiving even a .500 penalty.

I dropped from 11th, to 14th in that race.
2LeKn1n

Erm wtf. I'm doing the Manufacturer's race at N24 and it's a 🤬 show and the race still hasn't started.

First practice, fine all good, medium tires great, not a bad lap.
Warm-up, pointless.
Qualifying, ugh what's happening to my tires, I can hardly complete the out lap, 19x tire wear wtf!
Ok after lap 1 I pit to switch to hard tires, great another out lap, but as the 15 minute qualy timer is done it adds another 12 minutes. Sweet I can actually qualify. Not, when I cross the finish I'm locked out with almost 9 minutes to go. That would have been plenty to set a lap.

The race is only 2 laps as well, wth. Oh well, I'm used to starting last, can't even qualify if I want to :lol: Looks like I'm starting 18th of 19. Weren't there 24 players in FIA races at some point? (This is my first one this year)

Movie time now, final, oh great the whole slow line up viewing is still there, yawn!
wOvd.jpg

Yeah yeah, let's go!

Not a great start. Car in front of me loses control, I avoid, yet apparently that tiny kink on the left just after the first chicane counts as a short cut, 0.5 sec to serve at the start of the long straight There are penalty zone markers before Dunlop but they don't work.

Then the bump fest begins. I get bumped off 3 times, not one penalty issued to the bumpers. Oh well, after Flugplatz it clears up as usual. I get stuck behind traffic a couple times and my gap to the leader increases to 21.8 seconds before I get some room to press the gas.

I close the gap to 17.3 sec before I get stuck behind 3 cars holding each other up. After serving the penalty and avoiding traffic at the end of the straight I'm just over 20 sec behind the leader again. I go from 8th to 7th at the pit, one lone car decided to make a stop (plenty fuel) Actually nope, back to 8th. It was 2nd place making a pit stop, coming out of the pit in front of me.

I start gaining on the leader again to 18.8 sec behind but get stuck behind another car until I can make a pass at Ex-Muhle (at the fast up-hill right just after the bridge thingie) increasing the gap back to 21.5 sec. I make up a few more places and finish 4th, 18.9 sec behind the winner. I could have won that race if I had not screwed up qualifying doh.
yOvd.jpg

There it is, my first and probably last FIA race this year. My poor paint job, punted into the side barriers.

Last edited:
Might just wanna hit the options button as you approach the chicane braking zone on lap 1. :lol:

Nooooooooo... Don't be like that :ouch:

I don't think the first chicane will be too bad. Its slow enough that you won't lose too much time getting it wrong or getting punted. Second chicane likewise to some extent as you can go very far off track.

Lesmos and Ascari will cause the rage quits. You end up in the sand there for what ever reason and you will lose a heck of a lot of time and places relative to everyone else who go through quick and clean.

If its 1 penalty zone (as it should be for such a short lap) it'll be after Ascari on the back straight. If its 2 then ther'll be one between 2nd chicane and Lesmos and that will cause carnage.

I don't think the first chicane will be too bad. Its slow enough that you won't lose too much time getting it wrong or getting punted. Second chicane likewise to some extent as you can go very far off track.

Lesmos and Ascari will cause the rage quits. You end up in the sand there for what ever reason and you will lose a heck of a lot of time and places relative to everyone else who go through quick and clean.

If its 1 penalty zone (as it should be for such a short lap) it'll be after Ascari on the back straight. If its 2 then ther'll be one between 2nd chicane and Lesmos and that will cause carnage.
For FIA the penalty zone was aways after Lesmo 2 on the run up to Ascari. You lose a lot of time if you get one.

I'm not a very active FIA participant, I only do events I think look interesting, fun or haven't been done in daily races in a while so I therefore couldn't pass up a race in the Hachi-Roku for Nations at Tsukuba.

My practice QT before the race was 1:17.3 after 5 laps. I sadly couldn't match that during the race qualifier and ended with a 1:17.9 (I blame dirty air :dopey:) which gave me P5 on the grid. The lack of Initial D liveries was disturbing. I expected to see several but I turned out to be the only one. The race started out a lot cleaner than I expected with no carnage at turn 1 and 2. I made a turnip move by t-boning the person ahead at T11, I didn't expect a slow entering speed from him ahead, I'm pretty sure he dropped down a gear more than needed. I still felt like a little 🤬 and apologised in chat after.

Up to P4, there was somehow a 3 second gap between me and P3 by lap 2. I had a "fan" behind me who was up my butt the entire way (poor choice of words, sorry) and was always within half a second of me. We effectively had the same race pace. I got draft bumped a few times around T1 and T2 (so around 4 - 5 SR downs) but I don't think it was intentional. He almost passed me on a few occasions, I could see he was respectable since he didn't try passing when he couldn't and would back off to not cause a potential collision. I felt a bit pressured but was able to remain consistent and almost error-free throughout. Our duel lasted all the way to the end with him finishing 1/3 of a second behind. I finished P4 which gave me 631 points. My fan asked if he could friend request me in the post-race lobby. :lol:

I'm surprised tyre wear wasn't an issue, I expected to pit given it was 13 laps with only a choice of Medium tyres. I no-stopped since fuel was fine too. Overall, a fun race which I'd like to see as daily at some point.

For FIA the penalty zone was aways after Lesmo 2 on the run up to Ascari. You lose a lot of time if you get one.

Oh great, a mix of slow and fast traffic going into Ascari, whatever could go wrong :)

It's not the initial time loss that's the problem, it's the inevitable incorrect penalties that happen in the first 2 chicanes. Get clipped by a dive bomb and the dive bomber gets a free shortcut while you end up with a 3 or 5 sec penalty. Getting hit from behind has a higher chance of survival if you take a shortcut yourself, but there's still a 50/50 chance that the car that bumped you goes off first.
Then you have multi car pile ups where someone fro behind doesn't brake and causes a huge mess with blocks flying everywhere and cars getting reset to before the corner. Then all those big heavy blocks are still on the track for the next lap. It's going to be fun! I still have a gif somewhere where one of those huge blocks landed on my hood and I couldn't see for several seconds until it slid off after slowing me down considerably.
The biggest problem at T1 is the second half of the chicane. You think you're through, then get bumped from behind and spun around in the sand at corner exit. That's how I used to go from 3rd to last when I still qualified.

Haven't been able to beat my time on C.
I did try manual shifting but the closest I got was a 25.170. I gain in a couple of corners but I lose in others. Hard for me to keep track of racing lines and proper shifting lok

Last night I had a crack at la Sarthe with the M3. The theme song for this race.... Fade to Black :irked:. The M3 seemed stable for qualifying, but try as I might I was a couple of seconds slower than My M6 times. Started P5/15 on a grid of DR/B and C, with 3 of us Ds.

The race gets under way and I'm already having a hard time. I picked up a 0.5s penalty at Dunlop, was forced to go wide to avoid a collision with a Viper at Tertre Rouge .. another second penalty :crazy:. Dropped to P8 coming out of the second Mulsanne chicane, but I hit my clipping point. The D1 judges say "one more time!" :rolleyes:. Hung on to P8 till we hit Porsche where a GT3 drifted wide from the inside and pushed me off the track. A GT-R came wiggling past me as it passed me just after Corvette, and then there was a car in the penalty zone which caught me by surprise and possible the GT-R. I missed my braking point and the GT-R braked suddenly. I punted him into the pits :ouch:. 3 or 4 second penalty.

Second lap and I just could not get to grips with the M3. Normaly I love the handling of the little scrapper, but not this time. Another second added to my already growing penalties at Dunlop, wide at the Tertre Rouge ess (and another place lost to the mac attack). Served my penalty before the second chicane, then picked up another penalty from the second chicane doing an impersonation of Mr Toad's Wild Ride :odd:. The GT-R was a couple of seconds behind me, but I hadn't realised it at the time. Probably should have pulled aside after the chicanes and let him finish ahead of me. Doesn't make up for all the positions he lost, but at least he would have been 1 position up. I finished P11.

SR dropped by 10, DR dropped by 300.

Here’s one of the two “Daily Race” lobby races I was able to join last night with several of the GTP crew. Sometimes you win because you’re fast, sometimes because of other’s mistakes...and sometimes it’s a little of both.

This race got pretty intense, and needless to say, there was some rubbin.

Had a great battle with @NosOsH and @RZQSPEED working our way through the pack. Thanks @Pigems for the lobby! Also shoutout to @JohnEB, @Stencedaddy and SDDDJ4 (can’t find your GTP name!) for the fun races.

Enjoy!

Here’s one of the two “Daily Race” lobby races I was able to join last night with several of the GTP crew. Sometimes you win because you’re fast, sometimes because of other’s mistakes...and sometimes it’s a little of both.

This race got pretty intense, and needless to say, there was some rubbin.

Had a great battle with @NosOsH and @RZQSPEED working our way through the pack. Thanks @Pigems for the lobby! Also shoutout to @JohnEB, @Stencedaddy and SDDDJ4 (can’t find your GTP name!) for the fun races.

Enjoy!

Great Win man!! That last race looked like it got really tight up front in the last couple of laps. I couldn’t catch up with you guys but it’s looked like a good battle going on up there. The first SF race was fun too, I couldn’t hold you off for more than a lap or two before finally making a mistake, I was surprised that I was able to stay in front of you for for as long as I did honestly. I kept messing up the two hairpins, I just couldn’t find the throttle sweet spot where you get acceleration without too much wheel spin in 1st/2nd gear. Thanks for coming out last night man, it’s always a pleasure to share a track with you! :cheers:

Race 2 in the Porsche was really fun too, me and @RZQSPEED had a wicked battle for a couple laps, we went side by side through near an entire lap while swapping positions, it was awesome! :cheers:

I’ll get some highlights from the evening posted later today. :)

Quickly going back to the braking point chat from yesterday/day before.

For us running AT our down shifting is defined by and is and entirely at the mercy of the game mechanics when we brake and reduce speed.

Question for those of you running MT, as you have control of the when you shift, can you use the engine braking to your advantage and therefore brake a bit later?

For us running AT our down shifting is defined by and is and entirely at the mercy of the game mechanics when we brake and reduce speed.

Question for those of you running MT, as you have control of the when you shift, can you use the engine braking to your advantage and therefore brake a bit later?

I use both AT and MT on different cars. One thing I’ll say is that under full braking, engine brake doesn’t make a difference. It only has an effect if you’re partially braking or not applying the brake pedal at all and simply downshifting through a corner.

I use engine braking all the time, but it seems to be slower in some cases. The racing book I read says you should brake first, then gear down to the gear you want to take the corner in, but real racers have to deal with engine wear/failure and we don’t. In GT Sport it’s usually faster to stay in the higher gear as long as possible and if you must drop one for exit, do it right around the apex or just before so you don’t scrub any extra speed during the turn in by having more rolling resistance in the lower gear. It’s all very corner specific though, engine braking seems to be more useful in faster corners. :)

Last edited:

Nice pics! Haha, even though they are pics of bottling.

I was looking forward to having a nice 1v1 battle with you on that last lap, but I saw you go off in my rearview. I put a lot of pressure on the guy who was in P1 before that turn, and he misjudged his braking point into T1, which is easy to do at Autopolis. Unfortunately I think you either made contact when he rejoined or you spun trying to avoid contact. Nice race nonetheless.

Unfortunately I think you either made contact when he rejoined or you spun trying to avoid contact. Nice race nonetheless.
I tried to put down the power and activated the last few slithers of the OTS too early in the case of the SF19 bottle.

Oh and almost forgot, there's a slither of sand spilled onto the track, but that may be a visual thing...or so is it?

Last edited:
I use both AT and MT on different cars. One thing I’ll say is that under full braking, engine brake doesn’t make a difference. It only has an effect if you’re partially braking or not applying the brake pedal at all and simply downshifting through a corner.

It does make a difference under full braking if you need to make a Hail Mary move to stay on track. It's saved me a few times being able to change down a few gears in a hurry :scared:.

It does make a difference under full braking if you need to make a Hail Mary move to stay on track. It's saved me a few times being able to change down a few gears in a hurry :scared:.

I tend to think that's the placebo effect, but it may be different from car to car. Refer to Tidgney's driving school episodes. In one of them, he did a side-by-side comparison of cars under full braking in different gears and it made no difference. I'm assuming it was on the "Braking" episode, but it's been awhile now since I watched it.

So, race B that starts tomorrow is a repeat from January, when I qualified #705. About 6 weeks ago, when we raced there in the old Ferrari, I learned the track a little better. I'm practicing now, but it will probably be a 4C meta race, which I'm not too good with. Can't figure out which car can challenge the Alfa.

So, race B that starts tomorrow is a repeat from January, when I qualified #705. About 6 weeks ago, when we raced there in the old Ferrari, I learned the track a little better. I'm practicing now, but it will probably be a 4C meta race, which I'm not too good with. Can't figure out which car can challenge the Alfa.

I was thinking it was gonna be a Lambo race, I’m gonna do some testing this afternoon as I really like this track and Gr4. I’ll post my findings when I’m done. :)

I was thinking it was gonna be a Lambo race, I’m gonna do some testing this afternoon as I really like this track and Gr4. I’ll post my findings when I’m done. :)
I like the Huracan too, but it's just not gripping well on this track. So, far I'm over a second faster in the WRX and Lancer.
4C is the slowest I've tried, so far. I know some people can drive it really well, but it's too slippery for me.

1 last Race A this morning. Probably the last this week.

Did not get any wins but I did improve my Top 5 finishes on this track to 10 out of 14 races. And only lost DR/SR in 1 race this week.

I was not great at Brands Hatch Indy before this week. I found the car/track combo challenging enough to try everyday. And I think I picked up a few things over the week.

Probably should buy the car instead of waiting to win it. :lol:

I like the Huracan too, but it's just not gripping well on this track. So, far I'm over a second faster in the WRX and Lancer.
4C is the slowest I've tried, so far. I know some people can drive it really well, but it's too slippery for me.

I have a feeling the straights of DT will not be kind to the 4C, I think I had my best lap in a TT or RCZ last time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back