"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to the ‘08 GTR and shaved off another tenth, there’s still a lot of small mistakes in this one, mostly in the braking zones. But it’s slowly coming together, this is the best lap so far. :)

That's really solid though and the car looks SOOOOO smooth compared to the NSX! I just can't get the power down.

I've got a good lap time just breaking into the 28s but have got into a little rut and need to take a break so will go and win some cars I think (too tight to buy one of the GR2 GTRs!)

Consistent lapping though...
20191014_154951.jpg

Yes seems to be the case for me too since I came back to racing a couple of weeks ago. There is always at least 1 or 2 gone either before (usually before or after the entry list screen) or during the race (cars just vanish in front of you) and it's just luck whether that is you or not (if it's you the black dc message just appears out of nowhere and you have to click it and are removed from the race).

From experience I'm pretty sure when it's this dc rather than internet issues. When I had internet issues all the other cars stopped or drove off the track first before I was later kicked and I've seen other people's cars just shoot off the track or smash into cars or barriers before vanishing, which I assume is them losing their connection. With this dc message (which doesn't even kick you from PD's servers, just that race) cars just vanish mid straight or mid corner and the screen does a little bounce, like lag and that can really mess up your race too.
For me it always seems to be that everyone else races together, while mine lags and I ended up having to do the race by myself and seeing where I actually am at the end

ego? nah. racing against different competition is one reason. getting practice for later races is another. playing a fun game more, is yet another reason.

what's your reason for caring? personality disorder? OCD?

can anyone explain to me why it matters that I'm "competing" in a different region other than your need to be some kind of authority on the rules? Lag hasn't been an issue, and I've seen plenty of other laggy players in my lobbies and in the lobbies of the streamers I watch.

@Sven Jurgens your points are taken, but I'm not anywhere near A+ yet and if I ever get there I won't be joining FIA races I don't think. Again, find me a victim and maybe I'll care more. But for now, all I've done is have good races and made new friends who have all been very respectful and cordial, who haven't voiced any concern over my connection.

sorry I'm such a dumb Yankee!!! Yes I used London, I didn't know what else to put. I guess I'm dead to you and several others now who don't like me racing in EMEA, lololollolll.

awww, if it makes it any cheesier, i put myself down as being from Santa Monica, CA on my US account. Bring it in man... let's hug it out :D

I have to save these screenshots because they're pretty rare. :lol:

16d38b40-ee8e-11e9-9f49-0a8426b3333e.jpg

For those who haven't tried it yet, the Miata handles Tsukuba about a million times better that the Mitsubishi at the last race, there. The car is willing to do whatever you ask it to. 👍

@Dairyworker, I think this race is right in your wheelhouse. I could see you winning it a bunch of times.
Nice lap im in 4th ;)

Bah got disconnected during race B, so I entered race A which ends at exactly the time race B starts. Waiting is inevitable. I guess I can try Tsukaba once to get back on the daily B rotation schedule. I'm going to regret this.

Race A was dull as expected. Sure I gained 6 positions, 10 to 4th, but compared to gaining 15 in the rain, racing slow FF cars on a dry track feels boring. Anyway, was interesting to see the hot shot S/S driver on pole crumble in the race. No race craft, dumb moves, penalties, finished way behind. Fast isn't everything.

Starting 14th at Tsubaba, is it a no stop, tire change, fuel, guess I'll find out.

Guess I won't, I quit at :09 to switch to race B. Too frigging dull. Plus the penalty zone doesn't even work. A 2 sec penalty hardly slows these cars down, they are going so slow already! I got bumped far wide to last at the start, got SR Down as well since the track is too wide. Then watching pain dry slowly slowly slowly overtaking cars. Back to GR.2!!!

Last edited:
You know, I once thought that Tokyo East was good for cars up to Gr.3, but I rescind that statement. Even with Gr.4 cars, it's what I'd call one of the worst track designs (along with the entire series of tracks, even South) in GT's history. You can say that the lack of run-off areas "provides a challenge," but most drivers are on the lower-end of the bell-curve, so you get stuff where players don't give each other any space at all, and Race A this week ends up being a good place to tank your SR if you want to exploit the broken matchmaking for easy wins/poles.

You can call me salty, and why shouldn't I? GT Sport, at its very core, does a few things really nicely, but I'd say that it needs enough improvement at a basal level, insofar that I may as well wait for its successor rather than hope said improvements come in a patch. I don't even know at this point - I have too may suggestions to list here. If GT's appeal (and by extension, GT Sport) is truly its accessibility, then I can name a few places where GTS fails this goal, either by being unfair, overly-complex, or otherwise having frustrating game design elements. It's especially disappointing given how long GT has been around. I would've imagined that the staff at PD would've gained a lot of experience in game design by now, and learned some lessons in transparency to provide context and explanation to address fan concerns (outside of marketing events like the FIAGTCs) but who needs to improve your product when your budget is being covered by so many parties? PD being so close to Sony likely helps with each GT game's budget, especially since Sony wants them to be system-sellers. Then there's all the partnerships and publicity stunts that both make a GT game easier to reach profitable status and fool simple-minded audiences into thinking GT is something more than it is.

I do want to quit GTS (maybe even GT, and sim-like racing games as a whole) but I suppose I also want to potentially check out upcoming updates. But even then, if it's mostly just car and track additions - as nice as they are - then it won't address what I perceive to be some of the fundamental flaws at GTS' core.

There are just too many frustrating factors to GTS, the GT series as a whole, and PD. At this point, it just feels like a really, really glorified tech demo for various Sony products (whether it's the PlayStation itself, or their TVs) and a marketing vehicle for a bunch of sponsors like Red Bull and TAG-Heuer. You can say that I'm just "rage-quitting," and I'm not gonna argue otherwise. I feel like I have a lot to be frustrated about when it comes to GT. Games are not supposed to be stressful like GTS is. They're meant to be enriching, and I don't feel like I'm learning anything when I play GT. I'm not having fun, I'm not meeting people, I'm not being encouraged to be experimental and exercise critical thinking skills.

I don't feel like I am rewarded for improving in skill - in fact, I feel like I am being punished for improving. It's a Kafka-esque repetition of hovering around 26000 DR and never gaining poles/wins, despite what the trophy list ostensibly expects from players, let alone obtaining consecutive clean races. I'm not asking the game to blow me, but a win rate of under 2.5% between across 430 races doesn't sound normal for a racing game. It sounds like the symptoms of multiple broken systems. And there's no way for me to ask PD about this since they have no transparency, maybe a cryptic interview at some obscure conference or the FIAGTCs if you're lucky. No way to contact them. Nothing. It's honestly as if PD treats GT less like a game, and more like a passion project/tech demo for the PlayStation.

You can make fun of me, saying stuff like "u mad" but I'm just exasperated. It seems to me that PD isn't really a game developer. They're a tech demo developer. They don't make well-designed games, they make pretty games - ones that dazzle brainless NorCal tech investors and people who are otherwise too daft to know that there's more to a game than how well its animations/reflections/physics/lighting/particle effects are. PD may have impressive technology and visuals, but they seemingly continue to have serious difficulty with actual game design, and I think that's the only part of a game that truly matters the most. Everything else - graphics, story, music, etc. - can absolutely enhance the game design, but when you leave a lot of the game design to be desired, I think it can drag down the other elements a significant amount more, compared to if you did everything else well, but didn't do so well with something like the music. At any rate, if Kaz wants to play the Ferrari to somebody else's Lamborghini down the line, then that's his choice, as far as I know.

Last edited:
I do want to quit GTS (maybe even GT, and sim-like racing games as a whole) but I suppose I also want to potentially check out upcoming updates. But even then, if it's mostly just car and track additions - as nice as they are - then it won't address what I perceive to be some of the fundamental flaws at GTS' core.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Most of your posts are like reading a book complaining about the game. We all know the shortcomings of the game and nobody is forcing you to play it. I've found that coming on here and complaining about penalties and whatnot are not going to change anything. If you're not having fun playing the game, don't. I don't do as many daily races as I used to due to several reasons. I find I get just as much enjoyment out of hotlapping or creating liveries or anyone of the number of things the game has to offer. You should check out @Pigems lobby on Sat nights. It's good clean racing with friends that just want to have a good time racing.

Race A about as dirty as I expected. Starting out as a SR S lobby quickly changed to mostly red SR As by the end. I somehow was the only one with a blue SR. The sad thing was people congratulating the SR A winner. I don't know about you guys but I'd rather a win a race fair and clean than through dirty driving.

The only positive was a diverse grid although no Sciroccos in sight.

Last edited:
Please don't take this the wrong way. Most of your posts are like reading a book complaining about the game. We all know the shortcomings of the game and nobody is forcing you to play it. I've found that coming on here and complaining about penalties and whatnot are not going to change anything. If you're not having fun playing the game, don't. I don't do as many daily races as I used to due to several reasons. I find I get just as much enjoyment out of hotlapping or creating liveries or anyone of the number of things the game has to offer. You should check out @Pigems lobby on Sat nights. It's good clean racing with friends that just want to have a good time racing.

I think I'll just play something else - I have a lot of games on my backlog.

Meanwhile, I'm going to do some personal writing, on some hypotheses that I had regarding GT and its appeal as a series, and some bits of admittedly light analysis. Perhaps even begin to think of how a hypothetical racing game could do what GT does, except cheaper, and with enough innovation insofar that it's not just another racing sim in the vein of Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, etc. But overall thinking about game design, as I think GT has unfortunately been ostensibly unable to genuinely evolve and learn from its errors in game design.

I remain unconvinced that GT isn't simply just a series of (albeit impressive) tech demos - intended to sell the latest PlayStation - which happens to have a game attached. Until shown otherwise, I believe PD is all tech, with an insufficiently smaller emphasis on game design - maybe UI at most, which I'll admit can be quite nice at times.

It's just frustrating when I can clearly see a lot of potential in something like this.

Last edited:
I am going to say that Race B is probably going to wipe out my SR is week, but I am determined to figure it out. Struggled mightily last night, started in back half of the pack, never made it through lap 1 without an incident. If I can clear lap 1 I think I have a chance but not sure as so far I am finishing that lap in last after getting punted every time. Once was my fault as I had to slow down for the sweeper chicane when I drifted wide, as I came back on track just got blasted, but also had nowhere else to go other than complete stop. No one got a penalty for that though. Usually get booted or shoved into or out of that first hairpin. I am still making up places as people keep trying the chicane of death 2 wide but I need to figure out how to stay in line without geting losing it or getting booted lap 1 to have a chance.

Did actually have a good clean race with a guy for a lap last night before we caught a Black Knight ahead who took both of them out with one of their crazy blocks. Oh well, going to learn or get to next week. On the plus side my SR is still at 97 as most incidents don't seem to penalize people so bad. Or at least punting me in the lobbies I have been in doesnt penalize others.

@MIE1992 u mad? Jk.

Yes, GT Sport can use many improvements. However complaining that a 2.5% win ratio is low means you need to get more realistic about your expectations of online gaming. There's always someone faster, especially in the max SR.S lobbies where the fastest people live since they face no challenge outside of SR.S.

There are still over 30K daily players in sport mode, 80K weekly out of over 600K active players every week. It's niche compared to Fortnight, yet what other racing game attracts an active crowd like GT does?

There are many ways to enjoy daily sport races. Set yourself other goals than victories or meaningless trophies. Everyone has to deal with the same broken system after all. It's what you make of it, no point waiting for PD to fix it. Hopefully next gen PD will completely overhaul the DR/SR matchmaking system after all the experience they collected with GT Sport. SR calculations are fundamentally flawed, not helped by a broken penalty system, both undermining the DR calculations and matchmaking.

PD was never any good at AI, so no wonder they're struggling with assigning penalties correctly. The enjoyment comes from driving vastly different cars around all different kinds of tracks. Naturally one DR value can't even begin to capture the abilities of different players with such a range of cars and tracks. It is what it is, one week you're up, the next you're down. Unless you carefully chose your races and times to race, stop worrying about 'results' and enjoy the ride.

Back to daily races; ran some quali laps this morning to get some times in before work. 1.30.3 is my best so far, but lots of room for improvement there. The actual races are gonna be a brawl I imagine. Start at the front or hope and pray.

The Chicane o’ Death is an absolute white knuckle ride to get through fast. Part of me wants to just close my eyes and hope each lap. :lol:

Here’s a pic from my fastest lap. Made it through, but another coat of paint and I’d be in the shadow realm.

View attachment 857587
First race i had a 2 sec lead. I braked there for 3 laps. Didnt want to screw the win. Rest of the 3 races i lifted most of the time and only went flat out for 4 laps.

It really is a gamble going flat out there. Slightly here and there and you are a goner.

You know, I once thought that Tokyo East was good for cars up to Gr.3, but I rescind that statement. Even with Gr.4 cars, it's what I'd call one of the worst track designs (along with the entire series of tracks, even South) in GT's history. You can say that the lack of run-off areas "provides a challenge," but most drivers are on the lower-end of the bell-curve, so you get stuff where players don't give each other any space at all, and Race A this week ends up being a good place to tank your SR if you want to exploit the broken matchmaking for easy wins/poles.

You can call me salty, and why shouldn't I? GT Sport, at its very core, does a few things really nicely, but I'd say that it needs enough improvement at a basal level, insofar that I may as well wait for its successor rather than hope said improvements come in a patch. I don't even know at this point - I have too may suggestions to list here. If GT's appeal (and by extension, GT Sport) is truly its accessibility, then I can name a few places where GTS fails this goal, either by being unfair, overly-complex, or otherwise having frustrating game design elements. It's especially disappointing given how long GT has been around. I would've imagined that the staff at PD would've gained a lot of experience in game design by now, and learned some lessons in transparency to provide context and explanation to address fan concerns (outside of marketing events like the FIAGTCs) but who needs to improve your product when your budget is being covered by so many parties? PD being so close to Sony likely helps with each GT game's budget, especially since Sony wants them to be system-sellers. Then there's all the partnerships and publicity stunts that both make a GT game easier to reach profitable status and fool simple-minded audiences into thinking GT is something more than it is.

There are just too many frustrating factors to GTS, the GT series as a whole, and PD. At this point, it just feels like a really, really glorified tech demo for various Sony products (whether it's the PlayStation itself, or their TVs) and a marketing vehicle for a bunch of sponsors like Red Bull and TAG-Heuer. You can say that I'm just "rage-quitting," and I'm not gonna argue otherwise. I feel like I have a lot to be frustrated about when it comes to GT. Games are not supposed to be stressful like GTS is. They're meant to be enriching, and I don't feel like I'm learning anything when I play GT. I'm not having fun, I'm not meeting people, I'm not being encouraged to be experimental and exercise critical thinking skills.

I don't feel like I am rewarded for improving in skill - in fact, I feel like I am being punished for improving. It's a Kafka-esque repetition of hovering around 26000 DR and never gaining poles/wins, despite what the trophy list ostensibly expects from players, let alone obtaining consecutive clean races. I'm not asking the game to blow me, but a win rate of under 2.5% between across 430 races doesn't sound normal for a racing game. It sounds like the symptoms of multiple broken systems. And there's no way for me to ask PD about this since they have no transparency, maybe a cryptic interview at some obscure conference or the FIAGTCs if you're lucky. No way to contact them. Nothing. It's honestly as if PD treats GT less like a game, and more like a passion project/tech demo for the PlayStation.

You can make fun of me, saying stuff like "u mad" but I'm just exasperated. It seems to me that PD isn't really a game developer. They're a tech demo developer. They don't make well-designed games, they make pretty games - ones that dazzle brainless NorCal tech investors and people who are otherwise too daft to know that there's more to a game than how well its animations/reflections/physics/lighting/particle effects are. PD may have impressive technology and visuals, but they seemingly continue to have serious difficulty with actual game design, and I think that's the only part of a game that truly matters the most. Everything else - graphics, story, music, etc. - can absolutely enhance the game design, but when you leave a lot of the game design to be desired, I think it can drag down the other elements a significant amount more, compared to if you did everything else well, but didn't do so well with something like the music. At any rate, if Kaz wants to play the Ferrari to somebody else's Lamborghini down the line, then that's his choice, as far as I know.

Do something else.

Where are you on the SR ladder? I’ll be coming out shortly, I’m down in SR B(48) right now though. :)

Well, got nailed again next race... 3 sec, totally my fault.
YLJ4a06.gif

Plus another SR Down from a dive bomb, down to 90 SR currently.

Time for a break for me, still got to do some stuff outside, might as well while the sun is briefly out. Get back to SR.S!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back