"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah... Dragon Trail, how I've missed your high speed shenanigans.

One hasn't played GT Sport in a while. I find gliding round your sensual curves is like slipping into a pair of old slippers.

A pair of slippers with a cold thumb tack hidden within, as prickly and dangerous as your very own chicane of death.

First DTS for the week was a non-event from a racing point of view, P4 > P4, top four positions unchanged for the whole race, never less than 2s back to fifth from before the bus stop on L1. Results table had 13 of 16 blue SR, one white SR-E (last place) and two reds, only four red dots down at the back of the field. I did get about 550 DR and back up to SR99 though.

Next race is going to be a disaster :dopey::crazy:

Tried about 8 laps with the Scirocco on Race A, my best was 2:13.2. As always, the top guys are 5, 6 seconds ahead of me. Will I get there someday? :boggled::boggled::boggled::boggled:

Hopefully you will! I’ve been at it for 2 years and other than a few car/track combo’s, I’m usually 4-10 seconds off.
I still have a blast racing, that’s all that should matter. :cheers: Good luck!

The New Lexus drives really nicely. :)
52329740-2EE2-43C3-BC1A-E66DFE8FE175.jpeg

A few qualifying laps of Race A is enough to convince me the RCZ is the better pick. Currently at 2:09.4 (2:09.2 optimum) with marginal room for improvement. Almost a whole second faster than my TT Cup and Megane time.

Too bad a different selection of Gr.4s wasn't used this time. PD seem dead set on using these 4. A more interesting selection for me would be: V8 Vantage, F-Type, RCF and the Viper.

Tried about 8 laps with the Scirocco on Race A, my best was 2:13.2. As always, the top guys are 5, 6 seconds ahead of me. Will I get there someday? :boggled::boggled::boggled::boggled:

Now a genuine question. Why only some of my Gr. 4 cars are available for race A?

Also, it seems like the TT is the preferred car this week.

Try the RCZ. Turn off TCS (if you have it on). Focus on getting good exits from the corners and carving smooth lines in the sweeping stuff. My 6th lap was a 2:09.4 with time in hand.

Race B is a bit messy early morning but better than expected. I only got rammed off once in 2 races. It's nice to be back on the seaside. I'm not that fast in GR.2 though, I suck at trail braking and too careful in the bus stop.

Race A, FF cars :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: With only 12 entries, can't use my liveries, no chance to get close to my average positions gained on Tokyo in the rain. I would have to finish -2 :) Doesn't look very exciting.

Race C :lol:

Oh, and happy Canadian Thanksgiving all!

Try the RCZ. Turn off TCS (if you have it on). Focus on getting good exits from the corners and carving smooth lines in the sweeping stuff. My 6th lap was a 2:09.4 with time in hand.

Turn off TCS (gradually) is a really good piece of advice in general. I used to have TCS 2 for long time when GTS came out and I always had the feeling driving with TCS 0 was impossible whenever I tried. Eventually I switched to TCS 0 and manual and makes a big difference once you get used it, you learn to "feel" the car and it forces you to be smooth and precise.

Also, practice is the king. I used to be at 6+ secs from the best guys, then couple of months ago I started putting down a proper routine of hot lapping the entire week (depending on how much life gets in the way :lol:) and then race on the weekend. My lap times now are on avg +3.5 from the aliens.

At this point racing with TCS 0 and being at +3.5 just feels normal, so one can only improve from there! :D

It's against the rules to do FIA races on multiple accounts, and really not fair on the people in the region you don't live in.

To put it simply, I don't care, and you shouldn't either. Allow me to elaborate.

I thought about this for about a year before creating an EMEA account and deciding to participate in some FIA races. During that time I participated in many seasons of FIA in my own region and became very familiar with how everything works, the ranking, the matchmaking, the points, and yes the rules. I also learned that many more people do this than you probably think. I was surprised to learn that a lot of very good drivers have accounts in multiple regions, or every region.

So, on to why I don't care and why you shouldn't either. Because it affects you in literally no way. I am nothing more than a competitor, just like you, just like everyone else in these races. It is no less fair than racing against anyone else who joins the lobby. Let's pretend for one second that I am good enough to make it to a live event. If I qualified that high in EMEA (I can't), I would not be eligible for the spot because I don't live there. In which case, the next person in line would be invited instead of me. So nothing will have changed, nobody loses out on anything.

If you care because I am racing against people who are mostly slower than me, then don't worry, those people only see me for approximately one race, and if I do well enough, I'm in a different lobby for the next race and they never see me again. And let me tell ya, there are some pretty fast B/S drivers in EMEA and a few of them have given me a run for my money, so I am not entirely out of my depth in low A/S and high B/S lobbies as there's usually a couple guys on my pace or close to it. There are so many lobbies in EMEA I've seen different folks in every FIA race and have only participated in one slot each day for a total of 6 races that I've used for practice before my own.

If you care because of the points system, I'll remind you that these lower ranked lobbies where all of my EMEA FIA races have taken place, are only worth 1000pts or less, most of them were worth much less. The difference in points between P1 and P2 and P3 and so on, is only 50 points in some cases, or even less! So if I win one FIA race, the guy in P2 only gets about 50 points less than me, and he still has 2 additional chances to join the same race later on that I won't be a part of. Not only that, but these guys aren't competing for a spot in a live event, they are only competing for arbitrary points which amount to nothing more than bragging rights. So essentially, these points mean nothing to anyone who can't qualify for a live event. I'm not taking their points, if anything I'm using FIA to gain DR quicker and get out of the lower lobbies so they are not outmatched. Being A/S now I don't think that will be much of a problem as the guys in this region are significantly faster than my own.

So there's nothing unfair about it. It's still a race against other drivers who all play the same game. They have a chance to beat me and I have a chance to beat them. If they win, they move up, if I win, I move up. The points mean nothing to people outside of live events, and if bragging rights are important to them, they still have plenty of opportunities to gain those points whether I'm around or not. If I'm standing in the way of somebody else's ability to score good points, then I don't really know what to say to that person except to get over it and stop blaming me or other people for their lack of performance.

If you continue to concern yourselves with things like this, I'm here to tell you that's your choice, not a necessity. It does not affect you, so that is what I would call wasted energy.

Last edited:
Having an off-region account for daily races is one thing. Doing that for FIA races is really not cool though IMO. Ignoring the fact that you're putting yourself in competition for a region you don't live in, you're also opening up the potential to ruin other's races through loading in with a bad connection.

To put it simply, I don't care

But it doesn't seem like you care about that.

@Winnie847 You conveniently ignore the lag advantage. The further the distance, the higher / more irregular the lag, the more your forward predicted car can gently nudge people out of the way / wide without you ever noticing. Americas region is screwed up anyway because of the long distances involved, yet Europe generally has very low latency over all.

I really enjoy driving the Gr.2 cars and DT Seaside is one of my favourite tracks (it was one of the first tracks that I had some success with when I first got the game). Managed a 1:28.716 with the '08 Xanavi with room for improvement. Love this combo! Been a while since Race B has made me smile this much :)

@Winnie847 You conveniently ignore the lag advantage. The further the distance, the higher / more irregular the lag, the more your forward predicted car can gently nudge people out of the way / wide without you ever noticing. Americas region is screwed up anyway because of the long distances involved, yet Europe generally has very low latency over all.

I'm not ignoring it, and I wouldn't consider it an advantage on this level. I have 3 or 4 bars when I play in EMEA so far, and have actually experienced less lag than when I play in my own region. I know what it looks like when I'm lagging in most cases, and that hasn't happened to the best of my knowledge, and nobody has complained about me being laggy. Some people are going to be upset about it no matter what I do or say, but that's probably a lifestyle choice for those people to worry about things that don't really matter or cause no ill effect to them or anyone else.

Not sure what to say about this weeks races. I really do not like fwd, gr2 is well beyond my ability or interest tbh, and race c seems like a bad idea all around. I didn't even do any laps. Open game, trim honda tt lap time, look at this weeks races...... turn game off. Haven't done that in a very long time.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20191014092920.jpg

This is what the leaderboard for the last race C looked like one minute before it ended. It's been almost half a year since I last did this, but I finally managed to end the week in the top 10 of EMEA for the second time (also P8)! :gtpflag: Very happy with the result :D

Now this week is an alt account week, specifically in race B. This is going to be chaos in C/B. :lol:

Having an off-region account for daily races is one thing. Doing that for FIA races is really not cool though IMO. Ignoring the fact that you're putting yourself in competition for a region you don't live in, you're also opening up the potential to ruin other's races through loading in with a bad connection.

But it doesn't seem like you care about that.

That's no different than my own region, or players in EMEA joining with bad connections. Literally everyone has the ability to do that no matter the location. I haven't ruined anyone's race yet, and have had no complaints. If it became an issue, I would stop, the same way I've quit races in my own region when I was laggy from time to time. So unless you find me a victim, anywhere, I'll continue to not care about this thing that you guys seem so worried about for no reason whatsoever.

I have to save these screenshots because they're pretty rare. :lol:

16d38b40-ee8e-11e9-9f49-0a8426b3333e.jpg

For those who haven't tried it yet, the Miata handles Tsukuba about a million times better that the Mitsubishi at the last race, there. The car is willing to do whatever you ask it to. 👍

@Dairyworker, I think this race is right in your wheelhouse. I could see you winning it a bunch of times.

I'm not ignoring it, and I wouldn't consider it an advantage on this level. I have 3 or 4 bars when I play in EMEA so far, and have actually experienced less lag than when I play in my own region. I know what it looks like when I'm lagging in most cases, and that hasn't happened to the best of my knowledge, and nobody has complained about me being laggy. Some people are going to be upset about it no matter what I do or say, but that's probably a lifestyle choice for those people to worry about things that don't really matter or cause no ill effect to them or anyone else.

What level is that? 3 bars doesn't condone high speed door to door, bumper to bumper racing.
You can't beat physics, nor the dozens of hops added on top to get your data across and back.

Comparing it to the Americas server and saying it's not that bad is not fair to Europeans that generally don't have to deal with yellow connections.
In EU the highest lag is London to Moscow, 51ms average ping (excluding Africa as I doubt there are that many racers from there)
The lowest lag from Americas to EU is New York to London at 75ms average ping.

It's simple facts, you're bringing a sub standard connection to a high speed network. Now if your level is DR.B where everyone leaves plenty space it doesn't matter. Yet from my limited experience racing A+ drivers they seem to like to have the cars touching at all times, not good with any lag.

I really enjoy driving the Gr.2 cars and DT Seaside is one of my favourite tracks (it was one of the first tracks that I had some success with when I first got the game). Managed a 1:28.716 with the '08 Xanavi with room for improvement. Love this combo! Been a while since Race B has made me smile this much :)

top man! I was looking through all the Gr2 cars last night and dismissed the 'older' models thinking they wouldn't compete with the newer stuff... how foolish!

I have to save these screenshots because they're pretty rare. :lol:

16d38b40-ee8e-11e9-9f49-0a8426b3333e.jpg

For those who haven't tried it yet, the Miata handles Tsukuba about a million times better that the Mitsubishi at the last race, there. The car is willing to do whatever you ask it to. 👍

@Dairyworker, I think this race is right in your wheelhouse. I could see you winning it a bunch of times.

images are no good unfortunately... easily manipulated with basic software... do you have a video clip of this screen? :mischievous:

What’s even the point of going to a different region for FIA; ego?

Regardless, there’s a whole thread specific to FIA talk. I’m sure you’d get more insight there.

ego? nah. racing against different competition is one reason. getting practice for later races is another. playing a fun game more, is yet another reason.

what's your reason for caring? personality disorder? OCD?

can anyone explain to me why it matters that I'm "competing" in a different region other than your need to be some kind of authority on the rules? Lag hasn't been an issue, and I've seen plenty of other laggy players in my lobbies and in the lobbies of the streamers I watch.

@Sven Jurgens your points are taken, but I'm not anywhere near A+ yet and if I ever get there I won't be joining FIA races I don't think. Again, find me a victim and maybe I'll care more. But for now, all I've done is have good races and made new friends who have all been very respectful and cordial, who haven't voiced any concern over my connection.

whereabouts in the UK did you say you were from? If you say London, you're dead to me :P

sorry I'm such a dumb Yankee!!! Yes I used London, I didn't know what else to put. I guess I'm dead to you and several others now who don't like me racing in EMEA, lololollolll.

Last edited:
Back to daily races; ran some quali laps this morning to get some times in before work. 1.30.3 is my best so far, but lots of room for improvement there. The actual races are gonna be a brawl I imagine. Start at the front or hope and pray.

The Chicane o’ Death is an absolute white knuckle ride to get through fast. Part of me wants to just close my eyes and hope each lap. :lol:

Here’s a pic from my fastest lap. Made it through, but another coat of paint and I’d be in the shadow realm.

8FF21F91-8AF9-4184-B8EB-D8E5EBF0D564.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back