"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
DR highest its ever been, lets see if I can maintain it, or perhaps even hit B for the first time. Consistent front row starts is helping.

Indeed, assuming you can make it through the first set of turns unscathed. I did for my first 3 races last night (P2, P1, P3 finishes respectively) and lost all of that DR on the last race where I got kicked out into the grass twice and finished last. :banghead:

The bumping occurred in Corners 1/2 in each of those races, but I never completely lost momentum. Race A is fun when you get with a couple of people who know how to overtake cleanly -- had a bunch of back and forth battles in the first 3 races.

Edit: I think you're pretty likely to get to DR B if you keep racing this week. I took a look at your DR -- you should be seeing a few DR B drivers in your room (I was last night), and finishing ahead of them will get you a bunch of DR.

Thanks man, I do like racing a lot when I'm competitive, which isn't often. So far 2 races, 2 Q2 P3s. Got the pole achievement yesterday, need 8 wins for the win achievement. Getting tougher competition as the week goes on.

Seems like its been 3 or 4 good races then a bad one. Sucks cuz I was hoping to at least get to the 6 clean achievement, at 4 now. Here's hoping.

Ferrari F50 on the wheel. They've hooked me up the last week.

Pole at Spa is a huge advantage. At the start pole is straight and can go full accel while P2 is still rounding the corner. I create a 1.5-2sec gap every time before Eau Rouge. It’s nice having that breathing air not worrying about some clown pulling a Grosjean lol.

I’m really loving Race C this week, each lap is a fight for grip and I love it it. I’ve managed to stay pretty consistent with my race times being 18:28 for 3, 18:30 for 1 and my best of a 18:25. Hitting low 2:37’s consistently and a few 36’s.

Consistency is so critical with this race. I’ve had guys put in a faster race lap but when I’m watching the gap, they cut it for that fast lap, but then next lap they lose 1-2sec from mistakes.

My tips for Race C:

Brake early. Don’t try and set a quali lap, making a mistake in the rain can be incredibly costly to time. Brake a little earlier and not too hard, initial hit hard and then trail it gently into the turn letting it rotate just a little to line you up for the apex.

Don’t mash the throttle. And don’t try to max each gear, you don’t have to short shift at half RPM, but don’t bounce it off the limited either.

Pouhon, take this slow. The risk/reward is too high here.

Eau Rouge, hug the left inside on entry and lift (no brakes) visually sight your exit and as you’re turning in with the juke to the left be staring up at the apex. This will really help with actually hitting the apex. If you look for it after this point it’s too late and you’ll prolly miss it.

Les Combes, I literally just cruise through here, dont push at all. You want to be settled and lined up for the exit, any gains you make pushing it in the middle of this section are marginal vs the exit.

Honestly that’s kinda the theme for the whole lap. Patience. No jerky movements or aggressive braking on corner entry, it’s going to unsettle the car and cost time. I’m always early on the brakes and working on placing the car. Getting comfy with holding a slip angle while keeping momentum is also critical.

DR highest its ever been, lets see if I can maintain it, or perhaps even hit B for the first time. Consistent front row starts is helping.

Good luck mate! 👍

And still I was the only Mustang in a sea of Méganes and one TT.

I'm quite often the only one using whatever car I happen to be using...that *isn't* a Ford :P:P:P.

And for tonight's SpaTA I'm Bug steppin my way into qualifying. I had a bit of a go earlier and managed to get a lap in that *just* beat my R.S.01 time... but it didn't count 'cause of a 0.5s penalty yet to be served. During the 15min pre-race qualify I somehow put in a Hail Mary lap and beat my time by over a second.. and passed @The_Tullster 's time :P. (I always feel a bit smug when I do that :lol:). I figured "Sweet! I'll be on pole!!! I'm a freakin legend!". Yeh NO! :dunce:. P5/19, one of only 4 DR/Ds on the grid, with a whole lotta Bs and Cs. With DR/Bs involved, I suspected this was not going to end well :nervous:.

P5 gets you starting , lemme see..... IN THE FRIGGIN CHICANE :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:!!!!! I'm kinda getting sick of this 🤬. Lucky for me the guy behind was caught out a bit and I had a nice buffer to T1. I manage to hold position for the next 5 laps. I was right up the arse of the guy in P4 a few times, but didn't see a *safe* opportunity to pass. I figured if I can manage to circulate and stay on the track *and* stay close enough, the pressure might force him into a mistake and a passing opportunity... or I could 🤬 up in spectacular fashion, leaving him disappearing off into the sunrise saying "sayonara sucker" (yes, he was Japanese :P).

Two of the cars in front pitted so I was in P3. I had this vaguely naive notion that with two laps to go, I could get a podium finish. Sweet! I'm a freakin legend! Yeh NO! :dunce:. The pair came out a bit closer that I would have liked. Near the end of lap 6 one of them saw an opportunity, I gave enough room and let him through. Ok, so I won't get a podium... I'm ok with that... no... realy! Honest ........(:irked:). On the final lap another has a shot, but I wasn't ready to let him through.. I was already lined up and I wouldn't make the turn, I was already committed. Then a better opportunity presented itself and I moved aside and braked, then tucked in behind him.

The large gap I did once have to the guy originally behind me had vanished... he had been replaced by someone else.. someone faster. He saw an opportunity at T15 (between Stavelot and Curve Paul Frere). It was either move aside for P6 or risk getting knocked off or spun and finishing P16. I was right up his bum at the final chicane, and it was down to who could get their machine moving first. He did :banghead:.

Blue SR and bonus DR points .. Day 0 of my 14th trip to DR/C :scared:.

I have been driving the game for a year,and I still mostly use the Mustang. Down here in C and D it's competitive too, because it's us drivers that are the limitations. So I hang on to it, it's like second nature to me now.

It is still pretty competitive in B. Both Gr 3 & 4 are pretty much the only cars I use.
They’re very stable and predictable.
We’ve had Fords on the farm since the late 40’s, and pretty much all I’ve ever drove IRL. So I’m a fanboy :lol:

PD killed the top end in one of the last two updates. It is kinda like the Porsche, it’s all brakes now.

Congrats @SpaceMaN47y0! Get in there!

Thanks everyone. I'm wondering if I should race the Manufacturer's cup tonight, I'll likely be very outclassed if I'm up in B. Catalunya is my favorite track on the game though, so I'll likely try it at least once. Should be in a room that gets more than 1-5 points :)

Do it! You’ll still find alot of the same stuff in DR B you do in C-D. Some people are good at hot lapping but not racing, especially side by side, not staying consistent, missing brake points, and some are dirtier than C-D.

Some off the A-B boys will wreck themselves trying to wreck you because they don’t want you passing them.

Working on brands this morning. Not one of my better tracks, but i have always enjoyed it, especially the full course. Using the trophy cuse why not, since i am not racing it doesn't bother me as much using the meta car. Sitting at 1.30.007 right now, optimal is 29.472 i want under 30 real bad lol

I am glad to see and hear that some of you are having good races, i wont even bother trying anymore.

I can go quicker than a 2:41 without any trouble if I chose to, but I found that if I went quicker than a 2:42, I would use too much fuel. I can only use 14% of the fuel load each lap or else I'll need to pit. The only way I could achieve this was to put the fuel map to 6 from Le Combes to Stavelot, put it back to 1 from Stavelot to the bus stop, where I'd shift the fuel map back to 6 until La Source. From there to Les Combes I put the fuel map to 1. Between La Source and Le Combes I use 6% of the fuel load, so I have to conserve for pretty much the rest of the lap. Now how can I lap in the 2:36's using this method? It obviously doesn't work and my lack of wet weather experience is minimal at best. In fact the only other time I raced Group 3's in the wet was on Tokyo Expressway. If I remember I used traction control for that and did OK. I've also used manual gears before in a Goodwood Daily Race and found that my fuel consumption was far better. So to my pace. It seems like the only option...

What car are you using? Because, honestly, the 911, NSX, R8, and RCZ will all make it without issue.

The REALLY good guys are lapping in the 2:36's or less while saving fuel. I am hovering around 2:38-2:39. When I get a 2;40 lap, something has gone terribly wrong.

Traction control steal A LOT of time in the rain, so try not to use it. It steals a lot of time in general and there really isn't a need to use it.

Now, that said, I have run out of fuel with the R8 and the NSX, but both time it was because I wasn't properly paying attention to it. My mind wanders from time to time when I race ;)

I am glad to see and hear that some of you are having good races, i wont even bother trying anymore.

Race C has been good to me for the last little while. I think that the knuckleheads stay in the other races. You are more than good enough to be matched with other competent racers.

Screenshot_20200122-095250_Companion.jpg

Made it to B. Never thought I'd see it.

I spent the whole of Monday going sideways and backwards in the 911.
Qualifying went well but I was struggling in the races. I haven't raced at Spa since GT5 and I've not driven in the wet on GT Sport until now so the learning curve is steep.
Took the day off yesterday but my right foot is itching so I'll probably hop on shortly.
Tempted to see how fast I can go in the R8.

I decided to do some racing before work this morning. The first race I won by forty seconds(!), but the second race was extremely close.

I couldn't keep my tires under that NSX. That's twice I've been doing great with it only to be let down in the last two laps.

It's not as bad as the 650...that car burned through it's tires in half the race!!! (wtf???)

AFAIK the 911 and RCZ are the best on tires. I think the R8 is a step back, then the NSX is a little worse. I tried switching the BB to -2 from -1, but I still burned the rears.

I actually SUPER hate they way they do tire wear in the game. I just don't see this in real life. Especially with rain tires. The kind of traction loss we see at like 25-30% wear is what you would normally see at 90% wear in real life. I don't know if they exaggerate it to placate people who want to feel the tire wear or what, but it's frustrating to go from fine one lap to frustrating the next.

Pole at Spa is a huge advantage. At the start pole is straight and can go full accel while P2 is still rounding the corner. I create a 1.5-2sec gap every time before Eau Rouge. It’s nice having that breathing air not worrying about some clown pulling a Grosjean lol.

I’m really loving Race C this week, each lap is a fight for grip and I love it it. I’ve managed to stay pretty consistent with my race times being 18:28 for 3, 18:30 for 1 and my best of a 18:25. Hitting low 2:37’s consistently and a few 36’s.

Consistency is so critical with this race. I’ve had guys put in a faster race lap but when I’m watching the gap, they cut it for that fast lap, but then next lap they lose 1-2sec from mistakes.

My tips for Race C:

Brake early. Don’t try and set a quali lap, making a mistake in the rain can be incredibly costly to time. Brake a little earlier and not too hard, initial hit hard and then trail it gently into the turn letting it rotate just a little to line you up for the apex.

Don’t mash the throttle. And don’t try to max each gear, you don’t have to short shift at half RPM, but don’t bounce it off the limited either.

Pouhon, take this slow. The risk/reward is too high here.

Eau Rouge, hug the left inside on entry and lift (no brakes) visually sight your exit and as you’re turning in with the juke to the left be staring up at the apex. This will really help with actually hitting the apex. If you look for it after this point it’s too late and you’ll prolly miss it.

Les Combes, I literally just cruise through here, dont push at all. You want to be settled and lined up for the exit, any gains you make pushing it in the middle of this section are marginal vs the exit.

Honestly that’s kinda the theme for the whole lap. Patience. No jerky movements or aggressive braking on corner entry, it’s going to unsettle the car and cost time. I’m always early on the brakes and working on placing the car. Getting comfy with holding a slip angle while keeping momentum is also critical.
With your race strategy do you pit?

I couldn't keep my tires under that NSX. That's twice I've been doing great with it only to be let down in the last two laps.

It's not as bad as the 650...that car burned through it's tires in half the race!!! (wtf???)

AFAIK the 911 and RCZ are the best on tires. I think the R8 is a step back, then the NSX is a little worse. I tried switching the BB to -2 from -1, but I still burned the rears.

I actually SUPER hate they way they do tire wear in the game. I just don't see this in real life. Especially with rain tires. The kind of traction loss we see at like 25-30% wear is what you would normally see at 90% wear in real life. I don't know if they exaggerate it to placate people who want to feel the tire wear or what, but it's frustrating to go from fine one lap to frustrating the next.

Yeah I honestly can't say I even notice tyre wear in the 911 on this race. I assumed it was like that for all cars since you can't really push in the rain.

Yeah I honestly can't say I even notice tyre wear in the 911 on this race. I assumed it was like that for all cars since you can't really push in the rain.

I notice it on lap 6, and especially lap 7. Pouhon is where it’s obvious as the back end starts to rotate.

My tips for Race C:
All good tips, additionally I found (at least in the 911) that there's no point to ever downshifting to first, you'll just spin the tires. Once you get the car straightened out you can use full throttle in 2nd out of the slow corners and pull away from people trying to manage traction in first.

No pit needed. I finish with .3-.5 laps worth of fuel and still have enough tire to run low 2:37’s on lap 7.

This is with the RSR running BB of +1, fuel at 1, no aids apart from ABS at default.
That's very impressive at lap 7 am struggling to keep on the track no were near 2:37 only consistent 2:39 fuel map 2 mybe 3 for two laps:tup:

All good tips, additionally I found (at least in the 911) that there's no point to ever downshifting to first, you'll just spin the tires. Once you get the car straightened out you can use full throttle in 2nd out of the slow corners and pull away from people trying to manage traction in first.

I’ve actually been preferring 1st gear for 3 corners, La Source, Bruxelles and chicane. 2nd is a little too long and can result in a bigger slide, plus slower accel. But 1st is tricky and can easily light them up if not careful.

With Bruxelles I’m still debating 2nd gear. It might be ultimately faster, but I find it can cause more oversteer if it goes wrong.

If you can manage the throttle, the chicane and La Source I find 1st quicker/easier to control. That’s also due to my line though. I have slight rotation on entry so I’m managing the slip angle to keep momentum.

That's very impressive at lap 7 am struggling to keep on the track no were near 2:37 only consistent 2:39 fuel map 2 mybe 3 for two laps:tup:

Which car? If you can get comfy with a little rear bias on the brakes, you can back the car into the corner which really helps line it up for the exit. But it is def a dance. Especially lap 7, in Pouhon my wheel is close to straight as I ride the slip angle.

Weird i did race the NSX R8 and RSR yesterday and tire wear was ok 4 me on all of them but not going wide on curb and slide is really important , i tink tire damage is more important than tire wear

I’ve actually been preferring 1st gear for 3 corners, La Source, Bruxelles and chicane. 2nd is a little too long and can result in a bigger slide, plus slower accel. But 1st is tricky and can easily light them up if not careful.

With Bruxelles I’m still debating 2nd gear. It might be ultimately faster, but I find it can cause more oversteer if it goes wrong.

If you can manage the throttle, the chicane and La Source I find 1st quicker/easier to control. That’s also due to my line though. I have slight rotation on entry so I’m managing the slip angle to keep momentum.

Which car? If you can get comfy with a little rear bias on the brakes, you can back the car into the corner which really helps line it up for the exit. But it is def a dance. Especially lap 7, in Pouhon my wheel is close to straight as I ride the slip angle.

Yeah I couldn't imagine trying second gear in those corners considering how slow they are in the wet.

I also use Brake Bias -1 and try to keep the car as on-rails as possible; I feel like I'll get too cocky if I try sliding the car around. But that's probably why I don't notice tyre wear.

I guess I should stay in time trial haha I got disconnected the only time I tried entering a race. I’ve been spending hours running laps as it’s so addictive and fun.

You’ve tried the Citroën? I might enter a few races with it.

Last edited:
Weird i did race the NSX R8 and RSR yesterday and tire wear was ok 4 me on all of them but not going wide on curb and slide is really important , i tink tire damage is more important than tire wear

Brake balance has a lot to do with it. I thought going to -1 would help with rear wear on the NSX, but it was worse. On 0 it was not bad.

Is there tire damage? I guess I have noticed more wear when I go over curbs. Still, I think there is some extra wear built into the controller users. I get the sense the PD doesn't want controller users doing as well as wheel users. It's bad for their brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back