"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't get over the one driver disconnecting on the final straight.
probably a cousin of the guy who lost it before the final start/finish straight, got passed by one, slowly building speed, seeing me flying and starting to slowly blocking. Like it's my fault that he was way ahead, lost control, and was losing positions. I just flashed the lights and flew past him almost on grass, -0.200 difference.

I had times when I arrived last(including my mistakes), and didn't bother with it.

Oh, but wait for FIA champ...

It's the same scenario at Gr.4 Bathurst, the Megane (not Trophy) outclasses everything. When a car is so dominant that it devalues using almost every other, I think a nerf is in order.

I think that's an oversimplification. Different cars have strengths and weakness, and they show up on different tracks. The only way you are going to balance it out is not to unilaterally nerf a car, that just makes it completely uncompetitive on *every* track. They would have to do individual BoP based on the track, not the car. We went through this before. The Trophy has already been though a nerf when it was META in the past. Same with the M4. Each track is going to have a car which is either better suited, or is what one person manages to do well with and the sheeple follow. Usually the fastest car is also unstable. The good drivers get the best out of it, the followers find the kitty litter :P.

I think that's an oversimplification. Different cars have strengths and weakness, and they show up on different tracks. The only way you are going to balance it out is not to unilaterally nerf a car, that just makes it completely uncompetitive on *every* track. They would have to do individual BoP based on the track, not the car. We went through this before. The Trophy has already been though a nerf when it was META in the past. Same with the M4. Each track is going to have a car which is either better suited, or is what one person manages to do well with and the sheeple follow. Usually the fastest car is also unstable. The good drivers get the best out of it, the followers find the kitty litter :P.
Exactly. I used the Slophy when I started P2. P1 was in an 86. It left me in the dust. I don't know how to utilise the Slophy, but I did set my fastest qualy in it.

I've also seen WRX be pretty competitive in one of the races I posted. A fast driver will be fast. Not saying everyone can't use a META, but everyone shouldn't have to. Run what you brung and have fun.

The Trophy should be a GRX class this car don't respect gt4 regulation ist nor the power and wait the problem is the downforce from under the car Gr4 class is a normal car with a rool cage and very few modifications not a tubular chassis with a carbon fiber body and a plank under who create drag and ground effect .

The trophy is closer to the gr3 RS01 than the other gr4 cars in terms of braking and cornering speed. I always disliked it’s inclusion in gr4.

Everybody knows it has a massive power nerf, but if something like that has to be nerfed into the ground so its not op absolutely everywhere then that tells me it clearly doesn’t belong in that category.

I hope they do a much better job of grouping cars in the next game.

Last edited:
The Trophy should be a GRX class this car don't respect gt4 regulation ist nor the power and wait the problem is the downforce from under the car Gr4 class is a normal car with a rool cage and very few modifications not a tubular chassis with a carbon fiber body and a plank under who create drag and ground effect .

Wow! Did you manage to take a breath during that sentence :crazy:? All good points, and all irrelevant :D. The car is in Gr4 not GT4. It's a made up category loosely based on GT4, but not entirely faithful. Just like none of the GrB rally cars are Group B (not even the quatro), not all of the Gr3 cars are GT3 cars. The trophy isn't the only car that doesn't quite fit the GT4 mould. Regardless of the construction represented in the game, the Trophy still performs similarly to the other Gr4 cars most of the time. It has an advantage on some track and other cars have the advantage on other tracks. They arn't going to remove it just because a few people whine about it :rolleyes:.

I would love to race a sea of Trophy's on Mt Panorama or DT Seaside or Fujii or Interlagos or... So it's not really overpowered is it? If it's so good that you can't fight it with your favourite gr 4 then you must be in a very high DR rating.
One car being completely dominant on handling tracks and hopelessly slow on power tracks isn't what I would call balance. I'm not arguing that every car should have identical performance on all tracks and in aspects like fuel consumption and tyre wear. But the Trophy is an extreme outlier and that's because it's a prototype race car competing against lightly modified road cars. It clearly doesn't belong in Gr.4.

I'm not arguing that every car should have identical performance on all tracks and in aspects like fuel consumption and tyre wear.
I would argue that every car should have identical race times - with increased performance to compensate for more tyre wear and fuel consumption (and thus pit stops) - because that's how BOP really ought to work*. BOP should be ensuring that every car reaches the finish line at the same time, which in a zero-stop race would essentially be a trade-off between straight line pace and cornering speeds, with a little acceleration and braking thrown in for good measure.

But the Trophy does make that job a lot harder, precisely because, as you say, it isn't really a Gr4 - a production road-car based racer. It's a spaceframe silhouette racer more like a GT3 (in fact it competed as a GT3-type car in Dubai), and is far lighter on fuel and tyres than most in Gr4, matches Gr3 braking and speed in the corners, and it's only about as bad in a straight line as the worst regular Gr4.

*I'm not sure how that would apply to the breadth of abilities in online racing - who do you balance the cars to? The best, the worst, the mean, the median? PD almost certainly has laptime data for every car at every track for every user, so it could do any of the above.

Last edited:
I would argue that every car should have identical race times - with increased performance to compensate for more tyre wear and fuel consumption (and thus pit stops) - because that's how BOP really ought to work*. BOP should be ensuring that every car reaches the finish line at the same time, which in a zero-stop race would essentially be a trade-off between straight line pace and cornering speeds, with a little acceleration and braking thrown in for good measure.

But the Trophy does make that job a lot harder, precisely because, as you say, it isn't really a Gr4 - a production road-car based racer. It's a spaceframe silhouette racer more like a GT3 (in fact it competed as a GT3-type car in Dubai), and is far lighter on fuel and tyres than Gr4, matches Gr3 braking and speed in the corners, and it's only about as bad in a straight line as the worst regular Gr4.

*I'm not sure how that would apply to the breadth of abilities in online racing - who do you balance the cars to? The best, the worst, the mean, the median? PD almost certainly has laptime data for every car at every track for every user, so it could do any of the above.
I would say balance them for the best drivers, seems like the logical best step to gear BoP towards the top end competition.

Then we could maybe have manufacturer's championships be exciting beyond the top 4 or 5.

Wow! Did you manage to take a breath during that sentence :crazy:? All good points, and all irrelevant :D. The car is in Gr4 not GT4. It's a made up category loosely based on GT4, but not entirely faithful. Just like none of the GrB rally cars are Group B (not even the quatro), not all of the Gr3 cars are GT3 cars. The trophy isn't the only car that doesn't quite fit the GT4 mould. Regardless of the construction represented in the game, the Trophy still performs similarly to the other Gr4 cars most of the time. It has an advantage on some track and other cars have the advantage on other tracks. They arn't going to remove it just because a few people whine about it :rolleyes:.

Finally someone with common sense! It really doesn't matter at all. Drive what you like, what feels good for you. Some cars perform better on certain tracks, but the one who drives it makes the difference.

The crowd was roaring I was at Brands Hatch. In my imagination. But at the canal turn I hit an only patch......Yeh, another night at the hatch. Tonight I decided to run The Snake. My optimum was good enough, but my actual fastest lap was a fraction slower than my GT-R time... still a second slower than I needed. The fully DR/B grid was separated by a few tenths above me all the way up to P3. I started P13/16, so the slide back down to DR/D via C was predicted :odd:.

The race starts and off I go. Clean through T1 with no contacts. I saw a couple in the sand on the outside. I managed to keep position a couple of places up from start for a lap. Lap 2 had a trophy hassling me. It managed overlap and I was too far to the outside to go side by side, so I backed off and let him through. Two corners later he was break dancing with no assistance from any one else. There wasn't a whole grid full of trophies, but I did see a few come off without any help :lol:. I continued to quietly slip through the laps, catching up to the two cars in front, but not close enough to try a pass. Finished P8 with another CRB :eek:.

SR blue, DR up 120. Day 4 in hostile territory :scared:.

I still do not understand if the Megane Gr.4 is a real world car
The best real world Megane is the RS Trophy-R at https://www.renault.fr/renault-sport/megane-rs/rs-trophy-r.html
GT Sport has both a Trophy 11 and the Gr.4 one

Is the Gr.4 actually a real world car ? I found no evidence of it on tracks.
Yes the gr 4 Mégane RS is based on the production car. The Trophy is a prototype/purpose-built tubeframe clad in fiberglass with a MR engine. It's still a real world car but not a production one and thus not eligible for real world gt4

Last edited:
Interesting, as I've got the opposite for the most part. Assuming you're using DS4? I think oversteer literally translates to too much steering input in this case. May be worth looking at the steering sensitivity or just backing the steering off just a touch. And don't downshift early, that really pisses it off.

No. I'm using a wheel. I tried changing my downshift rhythm a bit and it helped but I still had an oversteery car. This wasn't snap oversteer or anything uncontrolable, just felt like I was in a drift going thru corners and I personally don't like that. There are guys out there that like that feeling and are really fast with it. I am not. I can deal with a slight understeer in a car and be much more comfortable and consistant lap after lap than with and oversteery car. It just comes down to what I'm comfortable with as a driver but guys that can deal with that drift style oversteer will always be way faster than me in any car... Just something I've never been comfortable with.

The Viper can as well. The main difference in all of those cars is the handling Comfort that a driver has with each. When I first started, the Mustang was king for me. As time had gone by, my skill & changes by PD have brought the Viper up, surpassing the Mustang as one of my favorites.

The viper is so good! Lots of power and handles alright. The V10 sound in it and it's Gr3 counterpart is unique and I actually like it. Different than the Audi V10 sound tho... Might jump back in the Viper for some more races this evening.

No. I'm using a wheel. I tried changing my downshift rhythm a bit and it helped but I still had an oversteery car. This wasn't snap oversteer or anything uncontrolable, just felt like I was in a drift going thru corners and I personally don't like that. There are guys out there that like that feeling and are really fast with it. I am not. I can deal with a slight understeer in a car and be much more comfortable and consistant lap after lap than with and oversteery car. It just comes down to what I'm comfortable with as a driver but guys that can deal with that drift style oversteer will always be way faster than me in any car... Just something I've never been comfortable with.

Yes! I get that, too. There are times when it will transition into a drift mid-corner and scrub off speed. It's controllable and never threatens to spin, it just sits there slightly sideways.

Jumped on last night for a few races, hadn’t done any all week. Went with Race C after setting a 1:42.831. I was doing non stop 1:43.0xx but kept making tiny mistakes, my optimal is 1:42.3xx so def time to be had, but fast enough for front row starts so I didn’t bother.

First race, T1 I opted for outside line but got squeezed out which killed my momentum dropping me instantly to 5th, T2 it’s like bulls in a china shop pushing and shoving dropping me to 8th. Ok that was a joke. Put head down and pulled back to 6th. That was just bad, but it let me know how C was going this week.

Next race got shoved down to 4th on lap 1 starting P2, but pulled back to P2 and nearly took P1 at the end, finished right on his bumper.

Races 3-5 I had a good handle on what to expect from the peanut gallery. I figured out how late I can brake into T1 at the start and kept to the inside. Still some dive bombers through first few turns but I decided to just let them through rather than fight. Fighting just cost momentum and invited the whole pack to join in. So I would let those first few idiots through and just sit on their bumper for 1-2 laps and fly past them.

Race 3 I finished 20sec up on 2nd place, same group as prior races. Race 4-5 I finished 6-12sec up on 2nd. Once I got clear I was able to pull away with ease. It’s just a circus the first lap as guys are divebombing every turn like morons. No don’t try to dive in from 4 lengths back. Yes I know the car can stop in time but dude I’ve already turned in at speed vs your ridiculously compromised line.

It’s a fun race, just too many idiots make it a crap shoot for lap 1.

Races 3-5 I had a good handle on what to expect from the peanut gallery. I figured out how late I can brake into T1 at the start and kept to the inside. Still some dive bombers through first few turns but I decided to just let them through rather than fight. Fighting just cost momentum and invited the whole pack to join in. So I would let those first few idiots through and just sit on their bumper for 1-2 laps and fly past them.

Race 3 I finished 20sec up on 2nd place, same group as prior races. Race 4-5 I finished 6-12sec up on 2nd. Once I got clear I was able to pull away with ease. It’s just a circus the first lap as guys are divebombing every turn like morons. No don’t try to dive in from 4 lengths back. Yes I know the car can stop in time but dude I’ve already turned in at speed vs your ridiculously compromised line.

It’s a fun race, just too many idiots make it a crap shoot for lap 1.
I was in a couple of those races and was 2nd behind you (in the last one I believe) all the way up until the last lap before finishing in P3 <1s from P2. Was nice going against faster/cleaner drivers and forcing myself to be more confidently aggressive. Been only playing a little over a month now and with a DS4, but surely getting the swing of things now.

I've done quite a few C races this week and it seems best going into T1 slowly if you have a decent enough space behind you to not worry about dive bombers. Last few times out, I eased into/out of T1 only to see a handful of cars in front of me get tossed. Seems like P5-P13 is notorious for someone doing something regrettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back