"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man tried the gtr in a race and the rear end on exit, cant get on it at all, so squirrely. It has a time in it but when racing I need a more planted back end.

Had one of those races last night with the Mustang, tough room of S and A drivers and started 13th. Kept it clean early and managed to gain 4 spots through guys hitting each other, then gained a few as folks needlessly squabble and I switch to the mediums early. I scratched and clawed and strategized my way ton5th then on the last lap run wide at the first Lesmo to finish 8th. Was plenty mad at myself. Plenty mad, worked so hard.

If you start on hards and do everything you can to keep it clean, gain a few spots, you're sitting pretty.

Man tried the gtr in a race and the rear end on exit, cant get on it at all, so squirrely. It has a time in it but when racing I need a more planted back end.

Had one of those races last night with the Mustang, tough room of S and A drivers and started 13th. Kept it clean early and managed to gain 4 spots through guys hitting each other, then gained a few as folks needlessly squabble and I switch to the mediums early. I scratched and clawed and strategized my way ton5th then on the last lap run wide at the first Lesmo to finish 8th. Was plenty mad at myself. Plenty mad, worked so hard.

If you start on hards and do everything you can to keep it clean, gain a few spots, you're sitting pretty.

Started on hards for my last race.

Attachments

• 15108BD3-82FB-4BFD-BD32-FA86ACCCBB32.jpeg
    15108BD3-82FB-4BFD-BD32-FA86ACCCBB32.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 26
  • D6F99C77-8E92-477E-B2A2-DCD7BC6ADB13.jpeg
    D6F99C77-8E92-477E-B2A2-DCD7BC6ADB13.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28

In the Atenza, qualifying with the Atenza, starting anywhere from 18th to 13th, starting on hards, avoiding carnage, I was placing 9th-7th every time. The passes are 40% turn 1 punts and resets, 40% getting past people with penalties, and a small 20% of being able to attack in the braking zone the last few laps when other drivers are on hards but you need to get by before Lesmo to build a gap for the second part of the lap. I switched to mediums after 4 laps. You can do it after 3, but if you wait until 4 there is less chance of pulling out into mid-pack carnage.

Switched to the GTR. Immediately gained 1.3s on my qualifying time, put me anywhere from 9th to 7th on the grid. I ran the GTR with TCS set to 2 and the rear end has what I would call computer aided self steer. If you exit a turn as if you're going to track out to wide, get on the throttle and the car rotates about 5 degrees and you drift-power out. Just watch out for the track boundaries because if you push past the rumble strips onto the smooth green surface outside them, the car will pitch itself straight into a barrier. You've probably seen people do this and laughed at them...it happens, don't attack too hard on corner exit, just use the draft to get around drivers. The brakes suck...or maybe it's just because it's faster and I have to brake earlier. I don't like the car but I went from 9th to 2nd in one race, starting on RM and switching to RH at the end of lap 7. The closest I got to the leader who was also in a GTR was 3.5s and I fell back to 6s by the end, I might have been able to challenge him if I had his draft, but he was definitely a quick driver. There is more time in the GTR with practice but I hate the way it makes me drive it. I imagine drivers still using the DualShock can be very quick with it.

Side note 1, I got a penalty from someone bumping me from behind seconds before the T1 brake zone. I thought I saved the replay but I guess not. I was protecting the inside and he thought I was going to cross over. I lifted to brake and immediately got a 1s penalty. WTF? I lost about 4 positions because of the train that was behind me.

Side note 2, getting bumped/rammed entering the second chicane is basically a free pass. Don't bother trying to cover the second part of the chicane once someone bumps you off your line. You won't get a penalty. Maybe that's obvious to everyone, but I was still trying to turn in after getting hit and just realized last night that once you've been touched, get back on the throttle and you can make up time lost instead of worrying about getting docked for jumping over the second apex.

Had another few qualifying runs in the Porsche, whittled my time down to 7.44.1xx, possibly another 2-3 secs to come off that with an absolute perfect run, hard to maintain that pace in a race though. As I've found previously when the Nordschliefe comes up, I'm losing out to drivers using manual gears, I've tried on the DS4 but can't quite grasp it. I was thinking about a steering wheel set-up but have decided to get a PS5 1st as the family complain about fan noise when they are trying to watch quiet scenes on TV :lol:

In the Atenza, qualifying with the Atenza, starting anywhere from 18th to 13th, starting on hards, avoiding carnage, I was placing 9th-7th every time. The passes are 40% turn 1 punts and resets, 40% getting past people with penalties, and a small 20% of being able to attack in the braking zone the last few laps when other drivers are on hards but you need to get by before Lesmo to build a gap for the second part of the lap. I switched to mediums after 4 laps. You can do it after 3, but if you wait until 4 there is less chance of pulling out into mid-pack carnage.

100% this. 100%.

So, what's the deal with the supposed Race C for next week? Are only mediums permitted? Because it says we have to switch to hards if we pit, so could both mediums and hards be required? Next week's Race A could be fun, though - I can't remember the last time I raced at any layout of Blue Moon Bay.

Would love to see them implement a pit lane exit penalty.

At Monza, I've seen countless people just drive straight out the pit and over the pit exit line.
Crawl right onto the racing line at a far less speed than I'm going. Got so badly compromised on several occasions.

This.

Also, people overtaking before T1 should pay attention to the leaderboard / minimap and see if there is someone in the pits.

A few races ago someone overtaking another player literally went extra wide and took the rightmost side of the straight.

That's all well and good, but i was going out of the pits and instead of going in T1, i went to keep company to the marshals off-track.

So, what's the deal with the supposed Race C for next week? Are only mediums permitted? Because it says we have to switch to hards if we pit, so could both mediums and hards be required? Next week's Race A could be fun, though - I can't remember the last time I raced at any layout of Blue Moon Bay.
Next week's Race C will most likely have a tire requirement. Whether it'll have just one or two tire requirements, we'll have to wait and see.
Unless if the update drops before or during next week, I'm expecting 4Cs and Megane Trophies to reign supreme here.

Finally dipped under 1:47 on monza this week.

just wish i didn't keep getting punted first corner. 4 races in a row now i have been reset first corner now.
Always take the inside...ALWAYS. It doesn't matter how far back you think the other driver is, show them that they can out brake you if they want to, but on the outside. Even if they brake correctly, their odds of getting through the first part of the corner are tough. Then just don't get on the gas until you've straightened out. It's easy to blame everyone behind you for getting punted, it's harder to learn from that and adapt your strategy. I'm not saying I don't get punted ever, but watch this video from the other night. There is no reason for me to need to be so far inside...until you see two cars fly past me as I turn in. They would have broad sided me if they thought they had a shot at the inside.

And after 2 laps I go from 14th to 9th without having to battle anyone.

Did a few races. One in the Vantage, AMG and two in the Mustang. All three are competitive. Well, I was competitive. It's just the constant tap tap tap thru turns. If players would get off the gas, just for a split/minute/nano second, regardless of lag or latency, I'd have better results..

Add the damn .5-1 seconds penalties every race, for track limits, at the second chicane. Slow too much, someone takes it as a dive to the inside. Breaker too late and it's a guaranteed penalty, plus someone still wants to outbrake me.

Saving grace are, the constant battles between the GT-R brigade. They knock each other about into the braking zones.

I'll use the Mustang again at Fuji. With the tight turns at the end of the circuit, those GT-Rs will be all over the place, at corner exits.

I normally dont go anywhere near any races in any of the Tokyo configs. but just wanted some races, so in I went. After a couple of attemps from pole I figured if I defend the inside on turn 1 the guy behind (a fellow Brit) just drove into the back of me and put me into the barrier, if I stayed wide, he just threw his car at me to take the inside, and putting me into the barrier 🤬.
A later race had my blood pressure coming out of the top of my head when a different loon used my car to get around the hairpin and I just managed to stay out of the pit entry on the final lap, some weaving and blocking in the tunnel got us to the top of the hill . . . and then it happened
Big LoL's, kind off made my day :lol:

I made it back to SR.A to be greeted by a total destruction derby event. I got pinballed around until I escaped at Flugplatz, penalty free, yet 3 SR Downs received along the way. Back down to 47 SR after the race :banghead: 10 clean race bonuses to get past SR.B, one bad race to be kicked back down :lol:

I normally dont go anywhere near any races in any of the Tokyo configs. but just wanted some races, so in I went. After a couple of attemps from pole I figured if I defend the inside on turn 1 the guy behind (a fellow Brit) just drove into the back of me and put me into the barrier, if I stayed wide, he just threw his car at me to take the inside, and putting me into the barrier 🤬.
A later race had my blood pressure coming out of the top of my head when a different loon used my car to get around the hairpin and I just managed to stay out of the pit entry on the final lap, some weaving and blocking in the tunnel got us to the top of the hill . . . and then it happened
Big LoL's, kind off made my day :lol:

Ha ha. Good for you. 👍
🤬 that guy!

Had to catch up on my reading here. Multi quote never works for me, but I'll comment on some recent posts anyway.:D @Groundfish talked about good/bad tracks. I do well at the Tokyo tracks, though racing there can be a challenge to SR at times. I would say, with most combos and some practice at Tokyo, I'm a definite A maybe A+. Just spent over an hour lapping, trying to get into the 57's it's definitely all about the final sector, though the run into, and out of the hairpin are also big. In an hour I never got within a tenth of my best time through the first 2 sectors from yesterday, and was 1
.5 tenths off my best first sector time, but I shaved about that much off my best 3rd sector time, and was much more consistant through the chicane.
20200417_173413.jpg

20200417_173321.jpg

As you can see, I finally put one together with a 1:57.832, though I got there earlier, but with a .5 from the chicane.
Someone mentioned the GT-R being a bit tail happy. It's funny, I didn't drive the gr3 GT-R for almost a year because I thought it was 4wd. I like it because it gets sideways. At the right track (RBR) it's a hoot! I would say it needs to be driven without TCS, or it's slow(relatively) when you get it right, you can get into a corner hot, get on the gas early, (easy...feed it throttle) and use the throttle to get rotation and a good drive. At RBR I was getting huge drives on to the back straight. Much fun! Works pretty well in the parabolica too. If you have the gonads, and some throttle and steering control, you almost never go wide there, just boot it and get it pointed at the exit.

Did three races at Monza from the back. First one went well, the other two were complete toilet. At least if you get taken out from the top 5 positions at the start of the race you're likely to re-join near other cars. and not 30 seconds off the lead.

Put in about 8 qualifying laps and have a 47.1. I think I'm getting back to DR A this week boys
Wtf I have done about 100 laps and cant get past my time of 48.2 closest I have come is 48.3 FML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back