"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually met my wife while playing Everquest. Try a different game. (Although mmorpgs are an even worse time sink)

The irony, I was in a bad place, lonely, depressed, couldn't sleep and turned to Everquest to get away from it all, giving up on dating, socializing etc. Then while I wasn't looking for anything I started talking to other people (so much downtime in that game) and one thing led to another. It didn't happen fast, now people think I'm my kids grandfather lol.

I know the feeling of wanting to break something, I've destroyed many keyboards and mice, controllers, snapped a Wii remote in half, pulverized a ps3 controller with my hands, punch a hole in the top of my old tube tv. It gets better, I'm much more patient since gen 8 started, mostly due to eliminating other stress factors in my life. Saves a lot of money too :lol:

Take a break, play the Nathan Drake collection and I think Uncharted 4 is still free on ps+ as well. Get away from online scoreboards for a while.
I met my wife on MySpace and I'm still alive to talk about it. ;)

Part of that is the rolling start effect, though. If you start at the front of the grid and make it through T1 without getting punted, you already have a ~15 sec lead on the back of the grid.

True story. I'd say the avg time between 1st and 2nd this week in the Race C's I've been apart of, is around 15 seconds. The pole sitter takes off, gets away from all the crashing and banging and off he goes.

I was in a race C earlier this week where the winner won by so much, I finished 3rd and barely beat the clock to actually finish.

I mean I guess...I'm way better now than I was when I was winning all the time. The grids are 12/16/20 drivers for Races A/B/C...not everyone can be a winner.

I race because it's challenging and I find reward in getting better. There are lots of way to measure that in this game apart from wins and trophies.

When I enter a lobby, I take notice where I'm starting, then I look to see what's the gap between myself and the pole sitter's qualifying time. Followed by what DR is in front of me. Based on these things I immediately figure what I'd consider a good race. In other words, I set a goal.

Maybe that goal is to go from 15th and slip into the top 10. Maybe it's to go from 10th and try for a podium finish. There are times when I'm in such a fast room, my attitude is, don't finish last

You'd be surprised how many times I not only meet the goal, but exceed it. And yes, that results in wins. Sometimes.

FFS, I'm not asking the game to blow me, I'm asking for something fair. And I don't feel like a trophy based around a moving goalpost is fair. Beating something like a really hard time trial is fair. If it was a trophy for reaching DR A, that would also be fair. But being at the mercy of a skilled matchmaking algorithm puts you on a treadmill that only punishes you for improving. It's immensely frustrating and I don't think I'll ever have the time to develop the skill needed to get those trophies, especially once I get a job. Even more so since it's just a game, and I play games to have fun, not be the best in the world at them. I can't make money off of the effort I would need to put in to get those trophies. If I wanted to get *this* good at racing, I'd go up to Lime Rock Park and try Endurance Karting to start an actual motorsport career.

I think I'll just stop playing GT Sport. I'm depressed enough as it is. Can't even remember the last time I was genuinely happy.
Just a general reply to any players,

1. Try a lobby. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtsport-racing-league-club-and-series-directory.391674/

It a great motivator. I look forward to it each week. The people who run lobbies are Rock Stars.

2. Get some lap time friends. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/looking-for-friends-on-psn-to-compare-laptimes.365629/

Also a great motivator. Some weeks I don't even race and I just try to beat my friends times.

I was lucky to be invited to a group around the time I was giving up on the Daily and FIA races in futility. The two things above kept me motivated and I believe I've improved beyond what I could do on my own. I can't recommend it enough.

Had a few races on Fujii yesterday.
Met one of the members here in one, he had a bad race, hope you enjoyed it anyway. Was nice seeing you in game!

After that race I was SR 99, went into another race, q13. After T1 I was p9, ahead of me where the guy who qualified as 4, he had a rough T1.
We duked it out for a while, I accidentally gave him a small tap, waited for him and carried on, none of us lost any places.
Then came the last turn....I was right on his tail, he goes the wide line to get a better exit speed, I know I can keep up on the straight so follow the line along the right side, brakes and turn in and are on apex when he hits me. He goes wide but remains in control, then passes me in the sweeping right (pushes me off,leaves no room. I slow down enough to stabilise then stick behind).
Coming up to the final turn he does the exact same thing, with the exact same turnout.
Catches me the same place again, makes a pass, I give plenty of room or there would have been a crash.
Last turn, same distance, same thing.
I have to admit I might pressed a little harder, the crash is a little harder. He spins and ends last.
In post he calls me a clown. I get that he was frustrated and mad.
But my point is you do not have corner rights when you go wide to get a better exit, if I am at apex first it's my corner.

This probably just a racing incident, but I really wish more people would learn the rules of racing.
Cost me a few hundred Dr and 11 SR. No biggie.

Replay can be found under TPC_RacingGranpa keyword racingline

Here's something I'm not sure about related to lobby selection on daily races. What takes priority, driver rating and safety rating, or qualifying lap time? Does qualifying time have ANY bearing on selection, is there an advantage to NOT qualifying so you get put with slower drivers?

When you get dropped into a lobby with much better drivers, end up at the back of the grid, and end up finishing at the back of the grid, does that hurt your driver rating? Or do you only lose driver rating when drivers with a worse rating beat you?

I'd really like to see the math behind selection and rating changes after a race.
Selection I'm not 100% sure on, but I believe it works like this
  • groups SR in 10SR blocks (90-99, 80-89, etc).
  • each block is grouped by DR into lobbies
  • each lobby is sorted by Q time.
At slow times when there's not enough players in an SR block to fill a race, someone from the next lower SR block is bumped to fill the field. It's at these times that you get races filled with drivers of wildly varying skill and pace levels. At these time even when lower SR drivers aren't bumped into your race, because of the low numbers available a group from the same SR block will be from a wide variety of skill levels.

The end race results for SR vary a bit, depending in part on the current penalty system and the number of SR points per sector gain for clean sectors.

For DR the forumla is alleged to be:
For every car you finish in front of you gain:
80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

For every car you finish behind, you lose:
80 + ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR​

If this is strictly accurate and there's no cap on loss or gain, it's theoretically possible for a high A or A+ driver to lose DR despite winning the race if all the other drivers are low D. Likewise, it's theoretically possible for a low D driver to gain DR despite coming last if all the other drivers are high A or A+. If I recall correctly the DR margin necessary to make this happen is 40K+. Of course the chances of matchmaking ever making this possible are neglible but it's an interesting intellectual excercise.

If you drive with mediums and a player that drives with hard makes a +3 seconds difference per lap with you. what would think?

I think is a hack

If you see in your race report him

Edit: I saw him three times at Tokyo race
I'm not so sure, all my fastest laps at Tokyo this week have been a second or more faster than my best medium tyre time and have been achieved about 4-6 laps into a hard tyre stint.

Last edited:
Okay, trying to do something really simple here - I want to create a lobby with the following conditions: (mimicking next week's race C)

- track: Yamagiwa + Miyabi (done)
- laps: 8 (done)
- car category: GR3 (done)
- minimum tyre: racing hard (done)
- maximum tyre: racing soft (done)
- tyre wear: x15 (done)
- fuel cons.: x3 (done)
- BOP: On (done)

so far so good, but now I want to be able to be only me in that lobby in order to start playing - I don't want others to participate - is this possible? So far I can only "go" to track and do as many laps as I want until someone supposedly joins so that we can "start" the race but I want to be able to start it when It is only me there - the minimum settings for players is 2. Or the solution would be to do the laps in "practice" mode?

Tried to do this in custom race but there I can only setup the tyre wear x10 at max....

am I missing something?

Young one, MySpace didn't start until 2003. We had AIM (Aol instant messenger), cutting edge in 1998.

EQFaces was our MySpace. It's still there, sort of
http://web.archive.org/web/20030531155911/http://eqfaces.com/
Our profiles are still there, too bad the pictures are gone. The internet does not save everything after all.
I was late to the internet(2005, we met 2006). Only got it because I worked for NY Tel->NYNEX->Bell Atlantic->Verizon back in the day.
One of the scariest things I ever did: letting hundreds of "strangers" into my home. :lol:

I was late to the internet(2005, we met 2006). Only got it because I worked for NY Tel->NYNEX->Bell Atlantic->Verizon back in the day.
One of the scariest things I ever did: letting hundreds of "strangers" into my home. :lol:

And now, we do that for the sake of thumbs up on social media. :lol:

Another RaceA, punted into the wall at the hairpin, I go from 5th to 10th & SR down... WTF I thought they were meant to be fixing this???

EDIT: replay confirms no penalty for the guy who punted me...

Young one, MySpace didn't start until 2003. We had AIM (Aol instant messenger), cutting edge in 1998.

Our profiles are still there, too bad the pictures are gone. The internet does not save everything after all.

i met my wife the same month Windows 95 was released. And in that same month as well, My boss at work says to me "Don't get AOL for your area, you don't have any local numbers to dial into." and I looked at him with a cockeyed face and said "what is this AOL that you speak of?" :lol:

Okay, trying to do something really simple here - I want to create a lobby with the following conditions: (mimicking next week's race C)

- track: Yamagiwa + Miyabi (done)
- laps: 8 (done)
- car category: GR3 (done)
- minimum tyre: racing hard (done)
- maximum tyre: racing soft (done)
- tyre wear: x15 (done)
- fuel cons.: x3 (done)
- BOP: On (done)

so far so good, but now I want to be able to be only me in that lobby in order to start playing - I don't want others to participate - is this possible? So far I can only "go" to track and do as many laps as I want until someone supposedly joins so that we can "start" the race but I want to be able to start it when It is only me there - the minimum settings for players is 2. Or the solution would be to do the laps in "practice" mode?

Tried to do this in custom race but there I can only setup the tyre wear x10 at max....

am I missing something?

Nope, not missing anything. Best you can do is make the lobby a practice and only for friends. I did this last night. I needed to see how quickly the tires would go at 15x. And yeah, on Mediums? after 2 1/2 laps with the Porsche tires were all down to half red. So I pit, change to hards and barely finished 8 laps with those tires.

Last edited:
All this talk of "the old days" gets me to remembering. My first online racing experience started in'96 or '97 racing Monster Truck Madness (MTM) on the computer. It had a truck editor (not just paint, but chassis/handling could be tweeked) and a track editor, so, thought there were only(I think) 8 tracks that came with the game, there were hundreds made and put up for download. I made trucks, had a website, and raced online. I remember being excited when I got my new 33.6 modem (that's 33,600 bits per second to you youngsters. I'm at a minimum of 5,000,000 bits per second now!) The racing was fun, and it was a 3d world, so no track limits, though there were checkpoints that needed to be passed through in order.. Because of that, you could hang a right and fly over a mountain, and you never knew what you would find. I remember one track, you could go offroad, find a valley where there was a giant soccer field and ball, and play soccer by bashing the ball with your bumper. I still have all my trucks, including RamAir, which was IMHO, the best handling truck in the game. It held lap records at many tracks by many drivers. Also Red Roadkiller, which was a custom modeled Lambo Countach 5000. I worked out the 3d model for that on 3 sheets of graph paper, and entered every point and face of it by hand. I had a lot more time back then.:D
BTW, my screen name was Rexracer. Been around a while I guess.

Edit: Back then I was on WOW, which was Compuserve's answer to AOL. Didn't last long, and I ended up with a local provider. Never did the AOL thing.

I'm just gonna throw this in here. I'm absolutely not trying to make anybody more depressed or disgusted with GTS.
Screenshot_2020-04-25 Stats Gran Turismo Sport kudosprime com.png

Screenshot_2020-04-25 Stats Gran Turismo Sport kudosprime com 2.png

All of the above is 99.5% Daily A. I have never participated in FIA events, although I may try the new Supra Cup.
I achieved Level 50 several days ago.

And before I get accused, I have never intentionally tanked my ratings. When the game "wants" you down there is nothing you can do about it. But I keep playing... my habit (maybe addiction?) will not allow me to stop.

Over the course of the last 6 months or so, I have evolved to not really caring so much about the win count. Instead, I have started helping friends, by "babysitting" and/or being the "Referee". It's just as satisfying to me. I rarely retaliate in a critical manner, but if somebody deserves it and it helps other victims, I will. Otherwise, it's all about CAUSING things to happen or not happen. Sometimes, the best strategy is to allow the chaos around you to happen and even amplify it, and doing it cleanly and effectively is difficult indeed. Other times, you just hafta wait, take the beating, lick your wounds, and try again. Karma is wickedly prevalent in this game, and I get both good and bad all the time... obviously more of the former. But again, it really is all about controlling your own destiny, and you have to be flexible, adaptive, and be able evolve to do so. Sadly, there are definitely a lot of players who are not able, whether because of skill or obstinant rigidity. Another thing that helps immensely, and somebody already mentioned, is MAKE FRIENDS!!! Lots of them!!! In 75% of my races, I know at least half the field... and many of those are converted "frienemies".

Pshhhaww...
I had it when it was called ICQ in 1996.
My younger brother and I still use it occasionally - the key encription is killer for certain things.
Heck, I still have the in-game console for QuakeWorld and GameSpy in my legacy .exe files.

They should be hard, but not dependent on matchmaking. A solid goalpost can establish a baseline for how much players have become literate with the game. It’s why I’m fine with the “Beat Zico” and “Zone Zeus” trophies in WipEout HD Fury, while detesting the “Bling Brigade” trophy. Mind you, the “Beat Zico” trophy is hardly a cakewalk by any measure - it’s somewhat notorious among players for its difficulty, basically being a time trial where you have to use a certain craft at a certain track. But it’s still preferable in my eyes because it’s ultimately just a matter of beating a time. You only have your own skill (or lack thereof) to blame for shortcomings in reaching this goal, not the machinations of a well-oiled skilled matchmaking algorithm.

I would be content, for example, if the wins/poles trophies were replaced with a trophy where we had to get all-diamonds on the Lewis Hamilton DLC. Or even if the goal was to reach DR A. (I’m still befuddled there weren’t any DLC trophies for the LH DLC, as I recall GT6 having DLC trophies for the Senna content.)

You're blaming the game's machinations for your relative lack of ability.

I'm just gonna throw this in here. I'm absolutely not trying to make anybody more depressed or disgusted with GTS.
View attachment 914408
View attachment 914409
All of the above is 99.5% Daily A. I have never participated in FIA events, although I may try the new Supra Cup.
I achieved Level 50 several days ago.

And before I get accused, I have never intentionally tanked my ratings. When the game "wants" you down there is nothing you can do about it. But I keep playing... my habit (maybe addiction?) will not allow me to stop.

Over the course of the last 6 months or so, I have evolved to not really caring so much about the win count. Instead, I have started helping friends, by "babysitting" and/or being the "Referee". It's just as satisfying to me. I rarely retaliate in a critical manner, but if somebody deserves it and it helps other victims, I will. Otherwise, it's all about CAUSING things to happen or not happen. Sometimes, the best strategy is to allow the chaos around you to happen and even amplify it, and doing it cleanly and effectively is difficult indeed. Other times, you just hafta wait, take the beating, lick your wounds, and try again. Karma is wickedly prevalent in this game, and I get both good and bad all the time... obviously more of the former. But again, it really is all about controlling your own destiny, and you have to be flexible, adaptive, and be able evolve to do so. Sadly, there are definitely a lot of players who are not able, whether because of skill or obstinant rigidity. Another thing that helps immensely, and somebody already mentioned, is MAKE FRIENDS!!! Lots of them!!! In 75% of my races, I know at least half the field... and many of those are converted "frienemies".

Pshhhaww...
I had it when it was called ICQ in 1996.
My younger brother and I still use it occasionally - the key encription is killer for certain things.
Heck, I still have the in-game console for QuakeWorld and GameSpy in my legacy .exe files.
Those were the days. I still have an 80% finished level for Duke Nukem 3D that I made. I think it's on a 100mb zip disk... BTW, impressive numbers. I was in your race...2 weeks ago? When you finished at D/E. Nice climb back up to A.

You're blaming the game's machinations for your relative lack of ability.
Ouch!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were the days. I still have an 80% finished level for Duke Nukem 3D that I made. I think it's on a 100mb zip disk... BTW, impressive numbers. I was in your race...2 weeks ago? When you finished at D/E. Nice climb back up to A.
Ahh, nostalgia...
A high school friend and I were Beta-testers for Windows95. I was running a 486DX4-100 boosted to 120, and he was soooo pissed that it was faster than the Pentium 60 he spent hundreds on specifically for the testing (although the VRM I needed for the Overdrive and boost wasn't cheap). Good ol' WinStone and WinMark...

Remeber the "Buddy Holly" video by Weezer? Choking along at 12fps at 320x240?

I've been gaming since about age 4 or 5, and to this day, I consider one of my finest achievements to be completing every level on the hardest difficulty of one of the most insanely ridiculous games...

ROTT

EDIT : As for that D/E you mentioned, it was because I quit. Only actually got down to B/C.

It's just honesty.

It's the nature of sport. Not everyone can win. "The game is matching me with people who are too good" is about the extent of it.

Countless posts responding to that user over months of posts along the same lines. Einstein's definition of insanity applies here. I have genuine empathy and compassion for the underlying issue, which is why I have acknowledged and referred to it several times.

Do:
Break the cycle.
Change direction.
Take some control.
Something which makes a positive difference.
Ask for help.
Get help.
Talk about it.

Just a general reply to any players,

1. Try a lobby. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtsport-racing-league-club-and-series-directory.391674/

It a great motivator. I look forward to it each week. The people who run lobbies are Rock Stars.

2. Get some lap time friends. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/looking-for-friends-on-psn-to-compare-laptimes.365629/

Also a great motivator. Some weeks I don't even race and I just try to beat my friends times.

I was lucky to be invited to a group around the time I was giving up on the Daily and FIA races in futility. The two things above kept me motivated and I believe I've improved beyond what I could do on my own. I can't recommend it enough.
Next week I'm going to look into some lobbies. The only thing that holds me up about leagues is having to be on at certain times. I got two boys (8 and 2) and a baby girl on the way. Lap time bragging was fun back in my F-Zero X days (if you don't know, you need to look it up). Helped a buddy of mine who was in bed for a month with a heart condition. Gave us something to do together.

i met my wife the same month Windows 95 was released. And in that same month as well, My boss at work says to me "Don't get AOL for your area, you don't have any local numbers to dial into." and I looked at him with a cockeyed face and said "what is this AOL that you speak of?" :lol:

I had a local number for my dial up ISP, yet it wasn't free. Some months my phone bill was over $200 from playing Everquest, that on top of my ISP fees and $15 a month subscription to Everquest. And not to forget a new expansion once, sometimes twice a year (there are 26 currently) you had to buy to keep up.

All this talk of "the old days" gets me to remembering. My first online racing experience started in'96 or '97 racing Monster Truck Madness (MTM) on the computer. It had a truck editor (not just paint, but chassis/handling could be tweeked) and a track editor, so, thought there were only(I think) 8 tracks that came with the game, there were hundreds made and put up for download. I made trucks, had a website, and raced online. I remember being excited when I got my new 33.6 modem (that's 33,600 bits per second to you youngsters. I'm at a minimum of 5,000,000 bits per second now!) The racing was fun, and it was a 3d world, so no track limits, though there were checkpoints that needed to be passed through in order.. Because of that, you could hang a right and fly over a mountain, and you never knew what you would find. I remember one track, you could go offroad, find a valley where there was a giant soccer field and ball, and play soccer by bashing the ball with your bumper. I still have all my trucks, including RamAir, which was IMHO, the best handling truck in the game. It held lap records at many tracks by many drivers. Also Red Roadkiller, which was a custom modeled Lambo Countach 5000. I worked out the 3d model for that on 3 sheets of graph paper, and entered every point and face of it by hand. I had a lot more time back then.:D
BTW, my screen name was Rexracer. Been around a while I guess.

Edit: Back then I was on WOW, which was Compuserve's answer to AOL. Didn't last long, and I ended up with a local provider. Never did the AOL thing.

My first online game was in 1990, Flight simulator 4 with a friend by modem. I've never played MTM, but was addicted to Stunts
UnhappyLastingIbex-max-1mb.gif

It had a track editor as well, and loops, corkscrews and crazy jumps.

I had too much time on my hands as well. I found the run-time library in Civilization.exe (the original game) mapped it out and altered all the values in the executable with a hex editor to 'mod' the game. Everything from opponent aggression level to what the yields are per resource could be changed. I spend years and years on that game.

Interesting to see Monster Truck Madness did Rocket League first :)

I had a local number for my dial up ISP, yet it wasn't free. Some months my phone bill was over $200 from playing Everquest, that on top of my ISP fees and $15 a month subscription to Everquest. And not to forget a new expansion once, sometimes twice a year (there are 26 currently) you had to buy to keep up.

My first online game was in 1990, Flight simulator 4 with a friend by modem. I've never played MTM, but was addicted to Stunts

I had too much time on my hands as well. I found the run-time library in Civilization.exe (the original game) mapped it out and altered all the values in the executable with a hex editor to 'mod' the game. Everything from opponent aggression level to what the yields are per resource could be changed. I spend years and years on that game.

HAHA!! Stunts! Yeeeeessss.
That's the Lambo truck right there.

And then, with the advent of CD-ROM, this gem of a racing game was a must have...

Oh, we're going down that road? Who can name these Sega Genesis classics?

Road Rash 3.jpg Shining-Force-Classics.jpg shadowrun-005.jpg

Selection I'm not 100% sure on, but I believe it works like this
  • groups SR in 10SR blocks (90-99, 80-89, etc).
  • each block is grouped by DR into lobbies
  • each lobby is sorted by Q time.
At slow times when there's not enough players in an SR block to fill a race, someone from the next lower SR block is bumped to fill the field. It's at these times that you get races filled with drivers of wildly varying skill and pace levels. At these time even when lower SR drivers aren't bumped into your race, because of the low numbers available a group from the same SR block will be from a wide variety of skill levels.

The end race results for SR vary a bit, depending in part on the current penalty system and the number of SR points per sector gain for clean sectors.

For DR the forumla is alleged to be:
For every car you finish in front of you gain:
80 - ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR

For every car you finish behind, you lose:
80 + ((Player DR - Rival DR))/500)DR​

If this is strictly accurate and there's no cap on loss or gain, it's theoretically possible for a high A or A+ driver to lose DR despite winning the race if all the other drivers are low D. Likewise, it's theoretically possible for a low D driver to gain DR despite coming last if all the other drivers are high A or A+. If I recall correctly the DR margin necessary to make this happen is 40K+. Of course the chances of matchmaking ever making this possible are neglible but it's an interesting intellectual excercise.

I'm not so sure, all my fastest laps at Tokyo this week have been a second or more faster than my best medium tyre time and have been achieved about 4-6 laps into a hard tyre stint.
I think there may be more math involved in the DR calculation. Yesterday, on my A/S account I was in a 80-89 SR race at BMB. All 11 of the other drivers were D/S. For winning the race, my total DR gain was 11. Even though it was a bad mismatch, the game still gave me 1 point for each car that I beat. :odd: I expected to gain nothing.

@BenRod, for a new challenge, spend some time racing from the back. The podium finishes are really satisfying when you start last. 👍

Last edited:
I remember road rash. Still have the Genesis, but all my games dissapeared. Did find the thumbnails from a copy of my old website. Downloadable for use in MTM...in 1997.
ram1.gif
lamb.gif
911.gif
tip3.gif

Edit: Ramair and Tiptoe 3 shared their "chassis". 911 was the first truck that I know of that had animation. The emergency lights all flashed. May be the only one ever. It could cause havoc with frame rates, so became a no-no when racing online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back