"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a local number for my dial up ISP, yet it wasn't free.

I remember upgrading to a 28.8k modem. I had to upgrade the serial card in my 486 to a 16550 UART :rolleyes:.

The last one's Shadowrun, a cyberpunk RPG. I played the crap out of all 3 of those games. I'm pretty sure I had dreams about Road Rash.

Frag that dreck chummer. Just remember the basics and you'll survive the dailies:

Watch ya back.
Shoot strait.
Conserve ammo,
and
NEVER CUT A DEAL WITH A DRAGON!

View attachment 914408
View attachment 914409
All of the above is 99.5% Daily A. I have never participated in FIA events, although I may try the new Supra Cup.
I achieved Level 50 several days ago.

And before I get accused, I have never intentionally tanked my ratings. When the game "wants" you down there is nothing you can do about it. But I keep playing... my habit (maybe addiction?) will not allow me to stop.
Those are some crazy swings, I imagine it occurs when a combo you aren't so good at pops up and you keep pushing for better ratings? I'm on a downward tilt right now with Fuji. I think I do bad with short races in general. Give me 30 minutes and I'll beat drivers that eventually wear themselves down.
Karma is wickedly prevalent in this game, and I get both good and bad all the time...
I love being the one to dish out the karma. At Fuji, if someone side swipes me through T3 or T5, It's very easy to stick your nose in the final sector and put them back in their place. But there have been plenty of times I got lucky with a move, only to have a driver send me into the sand a lap later in retaliation. Sometimes it happens without any wrong doing. I'm in it for the ups and downs regardless.

I had it when it was called ICQ in 1996.
I had a post-it note with BBS phone numbers in the early 90's. We used to login and play LORD. I'll leave it to someone else to recognize what that game was. No cheating!

I raced C on my alt from the back. Fast room with pole at 16.0. It was brutal. Apparently the standard passing technique is now to get along side, knock the other guy into the wall to drasticaly slow the other car and complete the pass. Anyways, I made up 4 positions for a p11 finish, and actually went up 80 DR points!

I think there may be more math involved in the DR calculation. Yesterday, on my A/S account I was in a 80-89 SR race at BMB. All 11 of the other drivers were D/S. For winning the race, my total DR gain was 11. Even though it was a bad mismatch, the game still gave me 1 point for each car that I beat. :odd: I expected to gain nothing.

@BenRod, for a new challenge, spend some time racing from the back. The podium finishes are really satisfying when you start last. 👍
It seems every few races I get knocked to the back (last or near last) anyway, so... And indeed, a good comeback IS satisfying.

There is definitely dimensions to the calculation of both DR and SR that we have yet to understand. I'm convinced Driver Level has something to do with how and why SR downs and penalties are given, and I suspect it may have an effect on DR as well. I've seen some odd things happen at times, like a driver starting a race as B/S and finishing A/S red even after getting trounced by several other DR B drivers.

Well, I'm starting up, so see ya'll on the track.

EDIT : @chuyler1 Not tootin' my own horn, but there are honestly no Daily A combos I haven't been "good" at...

Race C... Great for me this week and gain lots of points. Primary use Volkswagen Scirocco and win mostly. Time QT 1.16.xxx. Looking forward next week Race C.

Congrats on the time.
I was so far off you guys I didn't even enter.
Really need to work on driving with TC0.

Congrats on the time.
I was so far off you guys I didn't even enter.
Really need to work on driving with TC0.
Try gr2 or gr1. If you can get used to driving those with no TCS, others will be easy. I spent time with gr2 the first time it came up, and once I got the feel, no TCS wasn't a problem. I do use it sometimes with rain, or the shifter cart, but always start without.
Edit: The key for me, with the gr2, was to make sure I maintained some roll speed, to keep some downforce. Then make sure you're pointed straight before full throttle. As you get a feel, you can use part throttle when cornering, and learn how to ease into the throttle to maintain traction.

Last edited:
I think there may be more math involved in the DR calculation. Yesterday, on my A/S account I was in a 80-89 SR race at BMB. All 11 of the other drivers were D/S. For winning the race, my total DR gain was 11. Even though it was a bad mismatch, the game still gave me 1 point for each car that I beat. :odd: I expected to gain nothing.

@BenRod, for a new challenge, spend some time racing from the back. The podium finishes are really satisfying when you start last. 👍

Not more math, it's simply capped at minimum 1 point per player you beat and maximum 160 points per player you beat. Thus at most you get a 79 point reduction from the base 80 due to having 39.5K DR or more than the other player, or max 80 points extra for having less than 40K DR than the other player. If you had disconnected and all the other players stayed on, you would have lost 11x160 DR.

You earned 1 point per driver, all of them at least 39.5K DR below your DR level.

And if you had checked, all the D/S drivers would have been in the 90-99 SR range. There was one spot free, you were the highest DR in the 80-89 SR range applying for the race and became the grid filler.

@BenRod SR doesn't influence DR gains or losses, but it does influence how much SR you can gain during a race. Below 50 SR your SR gains per sector get boosted and ramp up to 2.5x increase at 1 SR. Low SR also triggers earlier ghosting for bad behavior.

DR influences how many seconds you get for penalties, the higher your DR, the more seconds you can end up with from a contact penalty. DR also used to weigh in (maybe it still does, dunno) to assign blame. The higher your DR the more likely the blame fell on you when colliding with a lower DR driver.

"I've seen some odd things happen at times, like a driver starting a race as B/S and finishing A/S red even after getting trounced by several other DR B drivers."

That's not possible. DR letter doesn't update until the next race. He must have started as DR.A. You see your new rank (up or down) at the top of the screen but in the post race lobby it shows the DR letter you started with. Could be A/E (while already been reset), or still B/S while it already shows A at the top of the screen.

It was possible in the past to get a clean race bonus with red SR after the race. You could lose SR without get SR Down arrows from contact with other cars. It used to be -3 for the one that got the SR Down arrow, -1 for the other car. You could still get all the SR up arrows for all the sectors and get the CRB while losing SR overall.

I had a post-it note with BBS phone numbers in the early 90's. We used to login and play LORD. I'll leave it to someone else to recognize what that game was. No cheating!

I don't recognize LORD. I did call a lot of BBS' back in the day, mostly to exchange games and cheats/hacks/faqs. First XModem protocol, then YModem 1Kb packets so much faster. Then 2 way simultaneous transfer with the ability to talk while uploading and downloading, hi tech stuff on a 2400 baud modem.

4e2cf903cb2eafb3ecc0234af1436b392060940c04b927d54f75174e1e646d5b.png

The internet of my youth lol.

Actually downloading was so slow, when I wanted to exchange a lot of stuff with someone else running a particular BBS, I took a few hours train and bus ride to his house, we copied all the files back and forth and I was back home long before current tech could send a 10th of the data, and much cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Race C last week, one SR down = red SR at the end of the race.

Race C this week, two SR down, plus 4 seconds penalty for being rammed into the wall = blue SR at the end of the race :drool:

Not complaining, but it doesn't seem very consistent!

Not more math, it's simply capped at minimum 1 point per player you beat and maximum 160 points per player you beat. Thus at most you get a 79 point reduction from the base 80 due to having 39.5K DR or more than the other player, or max 80 points extra for having less than 40K DR than the other player. If you had disconnected and all the other players stayed on, you would have lost 11x160 DR.

You earned 1 point per driver, all of them at least 39.5K DR below your DR level.

And if you had checked, all the D/S drivers would have been in the 90-99 SR range. There was one spot free, you were the highest DR in the 80-89 SR range applying for the race and became the grid filler.

@BenRod SR doesn't influence DR gains or losses, but it does influence how much SR you can gain during a race. Below 50 SR your SR gains per sector get boosted and ramp up to 2.5x increase at 1 SR. Low SR also triggers earlier ghosting for bad behavior.

DR influences how many seconds you get for penalties, the higher your DR, the more seconds you can end up with from a contact penalty. DR also used to weigh in (maybe it still does, dunno) to assign blame. The higher your DR the more likely the blame fell on you when colliding with a lower DR driver.

"I've seen some odd things happen at times, like a driver starting a race as B/S and finishing A/S red even after getting trounced by several other DR B drivers."

That's not possible. DR letter doesn't update until the next race. He must have started as DR.A. You see your new rank (up or down) at the top of the screen but in the post race lobby it shows the DR letter you started with. Could be A/E (while already been reset), or still B/S while it already shows A at the top of the screen.

It was possible in the past to get a clean race bonus with red SR after the race. You could lose SR without get SR Down arrows from contact with other cars. It used to be -3 for the one that got the SR Down arrow, -1 for the other car. You could still get all the SR up arrows for all the sectors and get the CRB while losing SR overall.

I don't recognize LORD. I did call a lot of BBS' back in the day, mostly to exchange games and cheats/hacks/faqs. First XModem protocol, then YModem 1Kb packets so much faster. Then 2 way simultaneous transfer with the ability to talk while uploading and downloading, hi tech stuff on a 2400 baud modem.

4e2cf903cb2eafb3ecc0234af1436b392060940c04b927d54f75174e1e646d5b.png

The internet of my youth lol.

Actually downloading was so slow, when I wanted to exchange a lot of stuff with someone else running a particular BBS, I took a few hours train and bus ride to his house, we copied all the files back and forth and I was back home long before current tech could send a 10th of the data, and much cheaper as well.

"That's not possible. DR letter doesn't update until the next race."

So, you never saw the same racer the next race?
And never noticed the change?

What about DR reset?
The +1500?
Does it go -1500?
It doesn't? Or it does?
So whether or not I gain 1 DR on any single racer in any single race doesn't matter that much to me.
What matters is if they gain 1 DR to push them up and end up on the cusp of whatever they gain against everybody else.
So 1 DR from me = WHAT to them?
Probably a lot, but barely nothing to me.

It's a QUOTIENT.
They take what I give on a multiplier based on their lowest number versus my highest number.
EVERYTHING about the rating system is a quotient.
The points are variable, but the gains/losses are predefined.
Gain a point of DR to get the +1500 reset even if you lose SR, go up a rank.

-- AVC Duoplex 28.8 v.34 Dual-channel Mk.2
the original gaming modem
2 telephone line capable
Specified for Quake
Used that until 1997, then got real DSL

"That's not possible. DR letter doesn't update until the next race."

So, you never saw the same racer the next race?
And never noticed the change?

What about DR reset?
The +1500?
Does it go -1500?
It doesn't? Or it does?
So whether or not I gain 1 DR on any single racer in any single race doesn't matter that much to me.
What matters is if they gain 1 DR to push them up and end up on the cusp of whatever they gain against everybody else.
So 1 DR from me = WHAT to them?
Probably a lot, but barely nothing to me.

It's a QUOTIENT.
They take what I give on a multiplier based on their lowest number versus my highest number.
EVERYTHING about the rating system is a quotient.
The points are variable, but the gains/losses are predefined.
Gain a point of DR to get the +1500 reset even if you lose SR, go up a rank.

-- AVC Duoplex 28.8 v.34 Dual-channel Mk.2
the original gaming modem
2 telephone line capable
Specified for Quake
Used that until 1997, then got real DSL

Ahh that's what you meant, yeah next race they can be a new rank.

The point exchange is a zero sum exchange with exceptions:
- Indeed you get and extra 1500 when going up a DR rank (and your SR is at least the same rank as that next DR rank, otherwise you simply get the points and the bonus is postponed until you gain SR. I was at 36K DR last week as DR.B SR.B)
- You lose an extra 1500 when you drop down a rank (not by reset)
- You can be reset to 15K or 7K DR when SR drops too low -> Deflation
- You can't lose points if you end up at one, but you still give points to those that beat you -> Inflation
- You can't gain points if you're already at the top (100K now) but still take them from people you beat -> Deflation

And indeed, losing SR has no bearing on the DR equation. It can only trigger a reset (after the point exchange has finished) if your SR drops too low.

Overall I expect the total DR pool to increase over time leading to DR points getting worth less over time (inflation) The number of DR.1 players at the bottom giving out points they don't have is magnitudes greater than the few at the top not being able to store the points they earn plus the number of DR resets is most likely too low to combat 144 races a day bringing in more DR points at the bottom. The fact that PD raised the cap from 75K to 100K seems to support this.

Anyway DR would work better without all these extra gains and losses and without resets screwing up the ratings and therefore the quotients between people.

I was stuck with dial up until 2002. I had ADSL before that for a while but due to a mix up at the phone company I was locked out and for some reason their system couldn't hook me up again until almost a year later.... (when I was leaving the country anyway) Dial up was more than fast enough by then, Unreal tournament and half life death match were more my thing instead of Quake. So many user made maps and characters available!

Pah, mere children, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Eddie Kidd challenge, loaded by cassette, took at least 5 tries before it loaded, then crashed :lol:
As for the wife, she has memories of me playing Desert Storm on SNES, WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP of the chopper blades :cheers:

My parents were smart. I got to play those early console games on a black and white monitor without sound. A new world opened up when I finally got to hook the MSX up to the tv years later. It had cartridges and tapes. Tapes were great, simply copy games with a dual cassette deck. Loading games from cassette, not great. Fun though
417d33d3f0aa7be41e9495f845930209.gif

River raid, one of the favorites. Ooh it has colors!

Last edited:
Going back. My dad was in the semiconductor industry. In 1971 or 72 he came home with Pong. First video game that anyone I knew had ever seen. It was a box with 2 knobs, and 2 switches, power and paddle size. You could see basically the same thing at the time in commercial consoles at some resteraunts and bowling alleys. It was years before they really took off with Atari

But did you achieve 50k DR rating with pong back then? Polaroids or it didn’t happen!
I did. In 5.51 seconds!

/jk

Edit: My first "sim" was the Commodore VIC-20 version of Night Driver - those were the days.

And regarding loading from cassettes, some of my friends were so impatient they couldn't help jerking the joystick around, and it would always result in corrupting the game.

Last edited:
This thread really can be brilliant sometimes :gtpflag:

We had some real educational games back then :lol: Astrotit 1987
screenshot_47e99-wearing-a-condom-you-never-know.png

I got my sex education from Leisure suit Larry. I wasn't allowed to watch R rated movies but games were still considered just for kids :lol:

C64 had so many violent games, golden era of war games. Call of Duty lol.

Ah, pong, first game I ever played on a TV, but it was late 70's.
Played a lot of Quake II with mods and learned how to whistle to the dialup to check if the pool was active.
My first pc was a Cyrix 120 with a staggering 500 Mb HDD....
Nostalgia....

My dad worked for an electronics company that went into PC manufacturing. We got one of the first PCs at home, 8086 0.8 mhz CPU with not one but two 10MB HDDs. 0.8 mhz that's 2,000 times slower than the PS4 CPU.

Good grief you guys are old. I remember having to learn games on my dad's Tandy 1000 that he got as a bonus 1 year. F16 flight simulator with the WW1 cheat option. Black Cauldron, and then 3-Demon, the first person pac man game. Trying to load DOS with those big 5 inch floppies!

Good grief you guys are old. I remember having to learn games on my dad's Tandy 1000 that he got as a bonus 1 year. F16 flight simulator with the WW1 cheat option. Black Cauldron, and then 3-Demon, the first person pac man game. Trying to load DOS with those big 5 inch floppies!

3-Demon was great. Boot sector virus on those 5.25" floppies, not great.

There was a game on MSX (likely also ZX Spectrum) that was 3D like 3-Demon yet you were a diver tasked with going into a sunken ship (maze) to find the safe before your air runs out while trying to avoid squids roaming around. I never managed to get the treasure and can't remember what it was called. It was one of those games I kept trying but never felt I got anywhere in it.

3-Demon was great. Boot sector virus on those 5.25" floppies, not great.

There was a game on MSX (likely also ZX Spectrum) that was 3D like 3-Demon yet you were a diver tasked with going into a sunken ship (maze) to find the safe before your air runs out while trying to avoid squids roaming around. I never managed to get the treasure and can't remember what it was called. It was one of those games I kept trying but never felt I got anywhere in it.
3-Demon...ya'll I had an IBM PCXT back in the day. Castle. 3-Demon. Star Flight. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back