"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
SR.S is too easy to reach, this does not look like a bell curve.
BQud.jpg

Next week will correct it a bit, 15 SR instead of 22 SR for race C without the cushion of people generally staying on the road while getting bumped, punted or spun around. Autopolis isn't as wide as Kyoto, much easier to go off. Besides that, 2 laps on Sarthe will only be worth 3 SR points, race A might be the go to to restore SR lol.
Dude, are you pumped for la Sarthe? I'm really happy. I can't wait. :D I wish the race was a bit longer, but I'll take it. 👍

I've generally had much cleaner races at SR A than S whenever I've dropped down. I assume because people have a cushion at SR S = free ticket to drive dirty without much of a consequence while people at SR A are being more clean in order to move back to SR S. Kind of weird cycle but makes sense to me, at least.

I remember when reaching SR S required a lot more clean races in a row (around the time of Gr.1 at la Sarthe) and it did help, it was more cleaner than today's SR S.

For me the key for better racing is to make it harder to get to S. Time penalties don't work that well. Right now in Interlagos, in the second straight, people bump you on purpose, go the wall, and you get 2 seconds penalty. Making the time penalties harsher won't help, because the system is broken and isn't that easy to make anyway, since it's a subjective thing to judge. There needs to be harsher SR drops in each crash, make it for both parties unless you're bumped and you're inside the break zone or it's a light contact and both cars stay on track (light is the keyword here). If you're a clean driver, you won't have a hard time staying in S because dirty drivers will quickly be relegated to A and B.

Have you tried using the windshield wipers? ;)

It's a mind set thing I think.

At SR A or lower you tend to be conscious not only on DR but SR too. At SR S you know your SR can't go up any more so you focus on DR. Add to that the competition gets stiffer as you go up SR. And you get tighter races where more drivers are focused only on position. This is probably by design. It makes sense. The higher the room the harder it is to gain DR. The results can get messy.

Personally I don't think you're supposed to keep your SR maxed all the time. I think you're supposed to race the way you do and let matchmaking do it's thing. That way you race your way and improve your way.

Having said all that. Seeing so many in the SR S level is a good thing. Means the respect level is high. The opposite would be a horrible sign.

Erm no. Not seeing evidence of that. Dirtiest Friday in a long time. Many currently in SR.S do not belong there. My last race one managed to get a red A and another a red B. That takes talent with how forgiving the penalty system is on race C and 22 points to spend.

Would we expect a bell curve? A large proportion of players strive to be clean every race, so we could expect the second peak at the top end, not a "normal" distribution. I do agree however that because of this week's race C, it is probably exaggerated......

True, it's not a bell curve since it's capped at the end. Yet logically there should be a peak at the bottom as well. However with 2.4x as many SR to earn at SR.E and contact largely forgiven, staying in SR.E is much harder than staying in SR.S :lol:

Dude, are you pumped for la Sarthe? I'm really happy. I can't wait. :D I wish the race was a bit longer, but I'll take it. 👍

I wish it was the C race. That 3 SR per race is gonna hurt bad with those track limits at Tetre Rouge.

I just did a race with Hards front, Mediums back, 5 laps, then 3 mediums. Works like a treat. I did get bumped out of the way in lap 5 by an impatient driver that couldn't hold his inside line.

Another observation, you get a free pass for any penalties to be served on your in lap. Every time I see someone with a penalty go into the pit, they don't lose any time and come out penalty free. They only lose a bit of speed on pit entrance, rest apparently counts down while changing tires / refueling....

Last edited:
It's Gr.3., so it definitely won't be the Veyron. :sly:
Also, the slipstream is set to Real, so that's good.

Oh wait no fuel save, Peugeot VGT might become the meta or what has the current top speed in GR.3.

Enough of race C for now, it's so dirty. Last one I got bumped off 3 times in the first half then hit twice by an early pitter coming out of the pit in lap 4 but unable to pass normally. On my 5th lap I got bumped 8 times from behind. There is no racecraft. I'm not blocking at all, not even defending, simply following the racing line and hugging the inside. Plenty room to go around with fresh tires but people seem incapable of doing anything else but stick a nose on your inside. It was funny though. I was simply keeping my wheels right next to the kerb on the long corner before the pit while the people behind me took turns bumping me, so I had to keep slowing down to stick to the inside cause I wanted to pit and not have a train blocking the pit entrance.

After the race, a ton of cursing between other people. 3 red S, plenty red dots and a red B. Many more deserved red ratings. Yet when bumped 10 times from behind and still end up with a blue S, what do you expect to happen when people get used to that. No risk to SR anyway and my DR is actually going up while still starting last. Proof average racecraft is going down hill with this lenient penalty/SR combo.

Can we just agree to respect Le Mans and all play it proper GTE style.

Porsche, Ferrari, Dodge, Chevy, Aston Martin. BMW/Ford OK but only the M6 and GT40. Have a GT-R if you really must.

But none of this made up stuff. Not for here.

I'll be in one of those anyway. And it will likely be a tough choice between which one I'm fastest in and which one I've made the nicest livery for.

Last edited:
Finally had a decent race this week.

Race B. QT 1:39.744. Someone here suggested the RCZ, thanks for that. Got me 7th spot. Stayed 7th the whole way. First non-last place finish for me this week. Needed the confidence. Excellent driving all around me. Full pace. Almost all blue grid.

One player made a lifetime enemy. He racked up 10 seconds in penalties to hit me 6 times in one corner. I never even saw him till that turn. Why? Is that fun? Needless to say, my tires were ruined and I ended up last. Glad 9th was worth all that to you...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Melbourne Park you got TC off?
Got one of those new fangled 7.1 surround headsets today. Should give me a bit more spacial awareness.

I hope . .

Coming from someone using just a sound bar for the TV before getting a pair, they do seem to help with that.

Race B has been my home the last few days. Race C has been a crash fest everytime I try it out.

One player made a lifetime enemy. He racked up 10 seconds in penalties to hit me 6 times in one corner. I never even saw him till that turn. Why? Is that fun? Needless to say, my tires were ruined and I ended up last. Glad 9th was worth all that to you...
I've got 3 supercomputers working at full power simply to maintain the database of people I don't like in GT Sport.

I had a couple of good races last night and one punt-fest but overall I was happy with my progression. I just focused on driving cleanly. Here's a clip of my first podium finish a couple of weeks ago

I like that you tried to revenge dive into the final corner but someone else punted the BMW first so he got ghosted. Nice!

Are you telling him to purposely keep his SR as low as possible not to get SR- when hitting people ?

That's scummy
No, just talking about the environment. This last week Neville has been from SR 65 down to 37 at the end of the day. I reckon if he'd been classified as an "A" the day he went down to 37, he may have in fact gone down to 35 and hence been re-set and then lost half his score at the time which was over 30k.

I don't know what the mentality is of many of the players in the game. And what I said may be illogical. I said that it should be easier to retain SR as a B driver because you are treated more easily in contacts with A drivers.

But there is a strong counter argument to what I said. Namely due to the possibility that a B driver really doesn't want to be beaten by a C driver, but being beaten by a B driver is less of a DR hit than being beaten by a C driver. But if there is an A driver, then the B driver logically should not be worried if he's beaten by an A driver, as that loss to the A driver would not effect the B driver's DR score.

But if cars touch then IMO the A driver is more likely to be punished IMO. its probably safer being an A driver if half the field is B level. The B drivers won't mind being beaten by an A driver - they expect it. But who can explain the mentality of some over aggressive nut jobs that do play the game?

Nevillenobody could have been an A driver all this week; but for never getting a 65 SR ie "A" level SR score. And he's in the past often been a 99 SR.

The advise from Sven Jurgens and 05XR8 about recovering SR was priceless - drive in race C as you can get 22 SR for just one clean race there. i haven't done so because I've not driven either of those tracks and by the time I'd learn them I could have driven a three races and made 18 SR back at race B. Plus it seems to have been a nasty SR place this week .... But if I get down to 50 I think the smart thing is to play it safe and do a race C if I know the track, as even if i lost some DR its better than halving your DR with a re-set.

Last edited:
@Melbourne Park you got TC off?

Coming from someone using just a sound bar for the TV before getting a pair, they do seem to help with that.

Race B has been my home the last few days. Race C has been a crash fest everytime I try it out.

Yeh I am a lot slower with TC on. Well I was a lot slower, not sure now though 'coz I haven't deliberately used it since maybe October or November. Except for the starts last week at Suzuka Short East course where it was a stationary grid ... :dunce:

An interesting thing for me about loosing SR - at race B this week at Interlagos - my loss of DR was due to people crashing on the straight, the one following the chicane. Twice I hit a car that went left and then speared onto the track, completely sideways, and both times I hit that car. The game should shadow those cars on the first or second lap IMO. If the queue is really tight then its ridiculous to expect players to be able to miss a car that suddenly is in front of you , you've got no time to avoid them. And when you do try you slow down and get hit from behind.

Such cars really need to be ghosted.

And if on a straight a car does go off the straight, hits the wall and veers back - the reason for the car going off is likely due to a car next to them hitting them off. So ghosting will result in the cars close behind still being close behind after the crash. Having cars brake to avoid a car is a bonus to the perpetrator who hits a car sideways and off the track. When the cars behind brake, the perpetrator gets a time gap as well as removing a race car.

Astonishly I was behind and saw this happen in an all S, A+ and A race with almost all S rated SR drivers, race B at Interlagos.

I wonder too - what if after a race, drivers could award star ratings to other drivers for clean races? That might clean up drivers. If a driver keeps getting negative star ratings from other drivers, or a driver keeps getting positive ratings, then surely that would increase proper behaviour?

They'd have to show the cars and you'd have to give each one a rating I guess ... with such long waits between races, it would be worth it IMO. It would best only show you cars that were around you the driver ...

That might clean up drivers. If a driver keeps getting negative star ratings from other drivers, or a driver keeps getting positive ratings, then surely that would increase proper behaviour?

No. All that would happen, is the system would be abused. There is no way that could be made to work, without manual reviews of each race by the team at Polyphony.

That's not feasible.

Yeh I am a lot slower with TC on. Well I was a lot slower, not sure now though 'coz I haven't deliberately used it since maybe October or November. Except for the starts last week at Suzuka Short East course where it was a stationary grid ... :dunce:

An interesting thing for me about loosing SR - at race B this week at Interlagos - my loss of DR was due to people crashing on the straight, the one following the chicane. Twice I hit a car that went left and then speared onto the track, completely sideways, and both times I hit that car. The game should shadow those cars on the first or second lap IMO. If the queue is really tight then its ridiculous to expect players to be able to miss a car that suddenly is in front of you , you've got no time to avoid them. And when you do try you slow down and get hit from behind.

Such cars really need to be ghosted.

And if on a straight a car does go off the straight, hits the wall and veers back - the reason for the car going off is likely due to a car next to them hitting them off. So ghosting will result in the cars close behind still being close behind after the crash. Having cars brake to avoid a car is a bonus to the perpetrator who hits a car sideways and off the track. When the cars behind brake, the perpetrator gets a time gap as well as removing a race car.

Astonishly I was behind and saw this happen in an all S, A+ and A race with almost all S rated SR drivers, race B at Interlagos.

I wonder too - what if after a race, drivers could award star ratings to other drivers for clean races? That might clean up drivers. If a driver keeps getting negative star ratings from other drivers, or a driver keeps getting positive ratings, then surely that would increase proper behaviour?

They'd have to show the cars and you'd have to give each one a rating I guess ... with such long waits between races, it would be worth it IMO. It would best only show you cars that were around you the driver ...
Maybe just positive stars not negative ones. Works similar to the "Likes" in this thread. You can Like or un-Like.

Sadly for me, the first part of this post was lost. I commented to Bivittavus88 and O5XR8.

I said abuse could be statistically eliminated. False critiques of other drivers could be statistically revealed as false. Constant hitters who accused others all the time could be statistically identified and their SR lowered and they would be warned about their false critiques.

Stats could reveal:

- Why they were demoted.
- How many complained against them.
- How many praised them.
- How many contacts they had each race
- How many contacts they had when their SR was at "S" level while in tight traffic ie less than 0.7 seconds in front or behind a driver.

No contacts at SR "S" level points to a better driver surely. And also, if a driver starts on the pole and wins by 1 second and has no contacts - I don't think that is praiseworthy from a good manners viewpoint. That performance would not increase SR.

A driver who starts 7th, has an "S" rating of 99 and has no contacts - that is a sign of a good mannered driver. He'd gain SR values.

The game should be counting up all that data. its the modern age and data and computing power is cheap. I pay $100 a year - I did not pay that to get beaten up by bad mannered drivers. Sony's revenue is there to do something about it. Heck the PS3 online was free.

The National thing might be more of a problem, but hopefully that would not be the case. I have not found any National bias on the track while racing. I have seen Australians say absolutely objectionable things about some Japanese drivers though, which seemed nationality biased. Hopefully that was just post race anger.

Overall though I think better and more meaningful driver comments stats massaged by statistical and race data, would help us.

I think nationality bias's could be removed with good race and driver comments data. Removing racial and national bias is surely a good thing. I can no longer differentiate a driver from his Nationality - it's just the individual for me. I used to think the Japanese were more aggressive. I don't see that anymore. Maybe because I am faster than I was. Surely its good thing to have decent data that brings different people closer together, in the quest for Fareness and Good racing.

It seems that many US and Canadian drivers reckon Brazilians or maybe South Americans are more aggressive. I used to think that about the Japanese drivers, now I don't.

I also think that if a driver complains wrongly about a driver - say that driver did not touch another car - then the complaining driver might get a score against them for bias. And if a driver complains all the time its against a particular nationality - there would have to be a statistical revelation about such biases.

The software is there, and so is PD's income. They just have to take the Game seriously and respect their stated intent that good driving needs to be encouraged. Not punished due to ramming poor drivers.

Last edited:
Had some great races on race 2 today. The Z4 is actually quite competitive on race 3. Just avoid the carnage at that awkward corner (turn 3?). Tight turn in and just enough lift off oversteer for the chicanes. Race 1 seems to be the worst of them all in terms of an absolute poo show. Maybe partly because the 3rd person camera just isn't usable and on Tokyo, spacial awareness is essential.

EDIT: Been hunting 1:38's in the Atenza all day, tried it in the Huracan and got it first try. That car is stupid fast in the corners here.

Last edited:
So, i have been lost in dirt rally the last few days...

The races for next week look very nice though, i suspect i will do lots of A and B. It would be sweet if the a race was the Porsche
Agreed. I can pretty much guarantee I won't show up at race C. I'm thinking 80% Sarthe, 20% Brands. Good call on the Porsche. It hasn't been in a race yet. And as usual, I'm hoping for anything but a front-wheel drive. 👍

I'm going to have an hour and try to lower my qualifying time. Its been 1:38.614 at Interlagos for most of the week. I've only had a few pre race attempts as I don't sit there the whole time, I leave after a race and get back at best for a quick lap. But I've had a number of 138.7s and 1:38.8s pre the races. But I reckon my race pace is better than my qualifying pace, which is not my normal behaviour. Corner 4 is often greasy in the race - have others felt that? Drivers who are good seem to run wide there in the race when pushing it with someone else.

Qualifying - I am imprecise at end of the main straight: for braking, when to turn into the corner, throttle release, the left Apex and how to handle the power going from one apex to the next, its all over the place. If I can't get a rhythm I'll just race and put up with trying to avoid any nutters who are so desperate they wreck it for easy going chaps like me. Who with low SR have to maintain their - for my low SR status at the moment - easy going and forgiving nature.

Last edited:
Agreed. I can pretty much guarantee I won't show up at race C. I'm thinking 80% Sarthe, 20% Brands. Good call on the Porsche. It hasn't been in a race yet. And as usual, I'm hoping for anything but a front-wheel drive. 👍

I’ve been looking for you in race B. Haven’t been paired yet but I’m sure we would have a good race again :cheers:.

I’ve been looking for you in race B. Haven’t been paired yet but I’m sure we would have a good race again :cheers:.
Oh, snap! A call-out.
Sorry man, I worked all day today (A rare working Friday). Best times to find me on the track are Thursdays & Fridays (My normal days off) @8:00a - @ 6:00p PST, or whenever I get too drunk. Might go to Pigems' lobby race tomorrow night if I get out of work at a decent time.

Looking forward to seeing you again. You're a worthy opponent. :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh, snap! A call-out.
Sorry man, I worked all day today (A rare working Friday). Best times to find me on the track are Thursdays & Fridays (My normal days off) @8:00 - @ 6:00 PST, or whenever I get too drunk. Might go to Pigems' lobby race tomorrow night if I get out of work at a decent time.

Looking forward to seeing you again. You're a worthy opponent. :cheers:
Speaking of that, I really wanted to call out @Pigems for race a lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back