"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
T300 GT here, but I think the vast majority of players are using a pad. :)
i went from controller to g-29 took me a good 6 months to equeal the times i was getting on controller with wheel. The biggest thing for me was you feel everything on a wheel. tire lock up, wheel hop, loss off traction when moving through a track the has a lot off elevation changes. was hard for me to get used to the wheel from that perspective

Watching the braking points that most are using I'm realizing the disadvantage the controller is. The degrees of braking input is very limited compared to someone using a pedal. What percentage of people are using steering wheel vs controller?

I'm on a wheel. G29.

The main things with using a wheel is consistency, and comfort while racing (crucial for long races). A wheel is not guaranteed to make a racer faster.

I'm actually referring to the pedal inputs. I could be incorrect but would the pedal have the same increments as the trigger on the controller? Just physics wise, the pedal has a much larger range for degrees. Unless they are all the same.

Maybe also related/unrelated, on long winding turns I can hear the rpm change in almost like a step with no option of getting the rpm in between. As in not enough increments to get that in between range to be optimal. Could be the car too. (Ford GT test)

I'm actually referring to the pedal inputs. I could be incorrect but would the pedal have the same increments as the trigger on the controller? Just physics wise, the pedal has a much larger range for degrees. Unless they are all the same.

Maybe also related/unrelated, on long winding turns I can hear the rpm change in almost like a step with no option of getting the rpm in between. As in not enough increments to get that in between range to be optimal. Could be the car too. (Ford GT test)

I think Thrustmaster pedals have 1000 different readable input positions between 0% and 100% throttle, Logitech is 250, if I remember correctly. Maybe @super_gt could verify that if he’s around today. :)

I'm definitely liking race A this week. Not necessarily earning much DR, but it's tending to be good clean racing. :)

After the first lap, the chicane at the end seems to be a good way to vet out bad drivers. If you blow that chicane you're practically dead in the water before that first late short left hander, which is practically the entire first half of the track.

Last edited:
After the first lap, the chicane at the end seems to be a good way to vet out bad drivers. If you blow that chicane you're practically dead in the water before that first late short hander, which is practically the entire first half of the track.
Agreed, and that was why I was looking forward to these races. But I think I was scared off after the first race I tried, by being run over by one of those bad drivers who rubbed me into oblivion in that chicane at the end of lap one... race over. If it's less common on the whole, yeah: it's pretty well sorted out by speed and actual ability fairly quickly and shouldn't be a forum for the usual criminal activity in Dailies.

Used the GT-R and RS01 in Race B. Wasn't the speed demon I saw before last update.
RS01 was just a cruiser. Rear came around at the Seaside hairpin. Adjusted my driving after that. *yawn*

What the hell is with the 962? That thing had no.. well, ..slow performance. I quit after a few laps. Ironic that I stuck with the lackluster GT-R LMP, nearly getting lapped in that race. But the 962 felt so slow everywhere.

Turning was bad, mid-range power was bad, gearing felt bad. Okay.. not "bad", this car is just not suited to this track. Guess I'm not into it this week.

Oh the joy of daily racing on a FIA day,

First race I ruined by myself but plenty of dirty going on around me. 2nd race I got sideswiped off... race over. For the 3rd I changed to the 911, a little more stable than the R8 I qualifieth in ended 3rd. But again, plenty of chaos going on around me, people just attacking the first chicane as if they are hotlapping and there is not a train or cars in front of them.

On a pad vs wheel note, I recently switched over myself and pretty much experience the same as Super GT.

In gr.3 it’s not a revelation laptimewise. It does make you smoother which helps alot in tirewear races. Also alot more immersive and comfortable. My neck and shoulder would start hurting when using the ds4 for long.

For narrow, bumpy tracks like Nordschleife I did find improving my laptimes with the wheel, as you just get more feedback and you get to place your car more precise.

Watching the braking points that most are using I'm realizing the disadvantage the controller is. The degrees of braking input is very limited compared to someone using a pedal. What percentage of people are using steering wheel vs controller?
I'm still using a DS4 until I get some kind of idea which wheels will work with a PS5. The biggest issue I have is that there's a TON of dead zone at the far left and right of the stick travel, and no real feedback where you start to lose grip, so I end up scrubbing the front tires a lot in tire wear races. I was 2 seconds slower on lap 9 than lap 2 of last night's FIA race in the Toyobarus, for example.

I'm still using a DS4 until I get some kind of idea which wheels will work with a PS5. The biggest issue I have is that there's a TON of dead zone at the far left and right of the stick travel, and no real feedback where you start to lose grip, so I end up scrubbing the front tires a lot in tire wear races. I was 2 seconds slower on lap 9 than lap 2 of last night's FIA race in the Toyobarus, for example.
Do you have the sensitivity turned all the way up?

Wait a minute, you're using the sticks and not motion control?

I'm using a T300 RS. Some of the braking input can be attributed to your choice of buttons for those functions. In many other games, I use the large R2/L2 buttons as brake & throttle. I tried that on GT Sport but my brain couldn't quickly transition away from X/O as brake/throttle.

I use a G29 (EDIT: WHEN DRIVING IN DAILY RACES :D... keeping the post on-topic!), which is fine from a bang-for-the-buck factor-- it's fine quality and after you get over the notchy on-center thing, and the notchy feel of the gear drive, serves the purpose well. but I do think I've tapped out what I'm able to do with it, with the available feedback and braking feel.

Yeah, this is the video I watched (after already committing to my wheel...) and it was really interesting. I haven't tried to play with the DS4 since, but I should give it a try to see how close I can get to my current best times. Maybe I'd even be faster on some tracks?!

As a point, I have been doing a TT with some friends. Until yesterday, I was using the DS4. I've only gone 0.4 faster on the wheel. But, I've not been using my lap times as a gauge of how much the wheel has been beneficial. I can better use the brake & throttle at the same time for some cars on some tracks which cause ill handling. This has helped immensely for MR cars like the Ford GT Gr. 3. Pirelli said it best in an advertising campaign:

_o3ZjpSrWaqJDf8TdqfIS9AjSSoAdTDBTLN962JHhRALBrgt65byGmlc0RXyf1Wqd7AoiFXfBnfdHRGo_Pdfw6vEJup7x3ge4HRMdO9k38J0a2Djv3bCixvUdMmJ0X702nBEfnyFH0aBng0Ybn5w

i went from controller to g-29 took me a good 6 months to equeal the times i was getting on controller with wheel. The biggest thing for me was you feel everything on a wheel. tire lock up, wheel hop, loss off traction when moving through a track the has a lot off elevation changes. was hard for me to get used to the wheel from that perspective

When I first made that transition, I caught all of that new information. It led to many new trips into the sand traps. :lol: But, I was able to learn something new, which makes the game a little more enjoyable.

I'm on a wheel. G29.

The main things with using a wheel is consistency, and comfort while racing (crucial for long races). A wheel is not guaranteed to make a racer faster.

I spoke with @Pigems before I bought my wheel setup & I used the word "consistency" often. That consistency goes right out the window when you get into a heated battle & act desperate to gain a position.

I will again reference the possibility of using the L2/R2 triggers as throttle & brake. Many have told me that it allows more range than buttons on the pad.

I'll just jump in & say that I have an aggressive driving style & can still wear tires out about as often as on the DS4.

Controller, brake & throttle on L2/R2, steering on left mini-stick. Can't use motion control, my brain wont deal with it. I'm so bad at motion control I happily bought a wired aftermarket controller that can't do motion control (I hate having to manage battery life more than I hate cables).

I think Thrustmaster pedals have 1000 different readable input positions between 0% and 100% throttle, Logitech is 250, if I remember correctly. Maybe @super_gt could verify that if he’s around today. :)
While this is true, it is not necessarily true that the game uses the extra fidelity. For all we know there could be only 20 possible throttle and brake input levels, with the game taking whatever the attached controller has and dividing it up into chunks.
Also, watching both myself and video of real and virtual race drivers, most people don't divide their brake and throttle inputs up that much anyway. They find three to six parts of the input travel that achieve the desired result and use those. The key seems to be smooth transitions between input levels at least as much the actual levels themselves.

Last edited:
In reference to the brake and throttle on the DualShock - someone mentioned to me in another thread about max inputs being around 75% of pressing the triggers down, and works similarly with pedals.

something I felt super duper stupid for not realizing on my own.

dramatically changed everything for me!

Still wish I had more room from the 50-100% of brake n throttle to work with, but they again said it was similar on the pedals.

Hope this help you alittle too!

I'll just jump in & say that I have an aggressive driving style & can still wear tires out about as often as on the DS4.
This has nothing to do with driving style, what I mean is this: the DS4 analog stick moves about a 1/4 of an inch from center to full left. Of that .25 of an inch, only roughly .15-.18 actually affects the position of the steering, if the stick is anywhere in the last .1 or so of travel it reads as 100% left. It's like if a 900 degree rotation wheel only registered the center 720 degrees.

O M G motion control is a thing!

must... get home.... pretend controller is a wheel!!!

Are you kidding? Hahhaa. Are people using the sticks? Wow. When I've been watching the replays on other drivers I assumed the jerking back and forth was just lag on their end. Holy jeebers, the motion control is infinitely better. Thats not even a question.

Motion control sounds fine for the steering but rotating the controller and trying to use it for brakes and gas at the same time doesn't work for my hands.

Nooooo, motion for steering, left trigger brake, right trigger throttle. Oh boy

I will again reference the possibility of using the L2/R2 triggers as throttle & brake. Many have told me that it allows more range than buttons on the pad.

Not sure what you mean. Of course, L2/R2 triggers. The other buttons are only on off.

This has nothing to do with driving style, what I mean is this: the DS4 analog stick moves about a 1/4 of an inch from center to full left. Of that .25 of an inch, only roughly .15-.18 actually affects the position of the steering, if the stick is anywhere in the last .1 or so of travel it reads as 100% left. It's like if a 900 degree rotation wheel only registered the center 720 degrees.

Personally, I've never thought that hard about the range of motion for the sticks. I just learn how the motion translates on screen & adapted to that.

Not sure what you mean. Of course, L2/R2 triggers. The other buttons are only on off.

For every GT game I've driven, I've always used X/O for throttle/brake. My statement was in reference to changing to triggers if someone was having issues with the buttons.

For every GT game I've driven, I've always used X/O for throttle/brake. My statement was in reference to changing to triggers if someone was having issues with the buttons.

Interesting. How do you throttle control and trail brake? Just FYI, you would be a superpower if you changed.

Interesting. How do you throttle control and trail brake? Just FYI, you would be a superpower if you changed.

I trail brake by braking a touch longer than necessary & turn in while still on the brake. This isn't the easiest method because if you don't time the switch back to the throttle at the right time, you'll just go straight to rear wheel spin. I've done it more times than I could count. But that method helped to make Big Willow one of my favorite tracks. I could trail brake the left uphill turn before the top of the hill. A little puff of smoke told me that I had gotten it right.

Well driving with the motion control is super fun lol!

Tried some practice runs at DTG since I’m fresh from weekly.

Spent a fair amount of time spinning and playing in the sand lmao, but did a lap within 5 secs of my best after a couple laps.

Looks like I’ll be on the practice track for a bit!

Are you kidding? Hahhaa. Are people using the sticks? Wow. When I've been watching the replays on other drivers I assumed the jerking back and forth was just lag on their end.
A lot of that IS lag, but the ones that aren't are more likely using d-pad to steer rather than sticks..... Yes, you can use d-pad to steer. If that is your chosen input the game does a bit of smoothing.

Of course, L2/R2 triggers. The other buttons are only on off.
Same as d-pad, if using X & O or X & square for throttle/brake, the game smooths the inputs a bit. They don't instantly jump from zero to full when you hit the button, it takes a small but significant fraction of a second. Same on release.

Sticks can be very smooth for steering, but it takes practice because the range of motion is so small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back