"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week Race A was really fun overall. Enjoyed much.

This week, with current penalty system i am avoiding Tsukuba at all costs.
It's not that i care for dr/sr... I don't want to lose my faith in humanity. :)

I am very good at Lago Maggiore and did race FT-1 here before so went for a couple races.
The game put me on pole position in A-B-C/S lobbies.
Two wins, a 2nd place and a 3rd place finish. Will work on my 1:55.2xx qt.

Race C looks fun, i like the track very much but i can not drive that supra right. Wish it was the rx-7.

Last edited:
That’s not too much different if we’re being honest.

As a big BTCC fan all I can say is if you're not aiming to knock off their wing mirror or break their toe link it's not worth the overtake. :lol:

First, welcome!
I have executed one successful revenge punt and made a hash of another attempt. The skill is not in my repertoire.
Same and I am proud of that fact.

14th to 5th in the first lap! Jedi master material there!
This is not the position you are looking for.
Opposition driver moves aside.

Last edited:
I get what your saying, and you are correct in saying that using TCS is the best way to learn throttle control. That way you don’t spin out, and only slip and lose a few tenths. :cheers:

But, what I’m saying is, at some point in the learning process, the learning curve will rise beyond the point where TCS is helpful, and at that point it actually starts to become a hinderance, and actually makes you slower(even over a whole race, since a whole race is just a bunch of individual laps strung together). If a person can’t make it through a whole race without looping it, TCS is the way to go, hands down. But, if they’ve gotten to the point where they can finish a whole race without spinning out(and we’re using medium tires in near all dailies now, this isn’t the old RH days anymore, there’s PLENTY of grip now), then moving on from TCS is the move to make. It may take a couple weeks to a couple of months to fully make the jump, but in the end that’s the way to keep getting faster/better. So in short, TCS only helps up to a certain point, after that, it’s on the driver to learn how to survive without it if they want to continue improving. :cheers:
I am/was a TCS user 100% of the time. I have slowly been making the switch to not using it. What i do now because I am not fully comfortable not using 100% of the time is I just switch from TCS 2 to TCS 0 during the race. some tight low speed corners where you are all the way down to 1st I bump it to 2 just to have my safety net. once I get straiten out 0. So for example this week race B I only have TCS at 2 in turns 1 and 2 after that 0 for the rest of the lap. What I have noticed is I am much faster thru the esses and what I have also noticed is sometimes I forget to move TCS back to 2 at certain areas of track or other tracks when I am racing sometimes I spin sometimes I don't when don't I am surprised that I got thru the section with no TCS. So basically I am teaching myself almost by accident not to use. I don't know if I will ever be fully comfortable with not using 100% of the time but this is a good start / compromise

Like Lemans a few weeks ago I was at TCS 2 for
chicanes before start finish and Dunlop
tight right hander at the end of mulsane
tight right hander after Indianapolis.

Rest of the track at 0 was much faster thru the bus stops and Porsha curves

Last edited:
TCS isn’t helping you get any more power to the ground

you could be going faster without it if you take the time to learn the throttle control

If a person can’t make it through a whole race without looping it, TCS is the way to go

moving on from TCS is the move to make

TCS only helps up to a certain point, after that

Took the training wheels off

ou’re not getting it

it’s time to take off the training wheels, because they can only get you so far

That’s the point your not understanding

you will never be able to learn with TCS on

But this notion you have of TCS being faster no matter what

You are just not willing to put in the time to continue learning

. You have to treat the throttle like a switch to break it loose on meds.

TCS kills corner speed, and effectively inhibits rotation of the car

you are not willing to put the time in, that’s cool, it’s not a big deal man,

Didn't we already have this discussion

Yes, we have. Initially a member here posted about having trouble with wheelspin in the vette and Mustang gr3 when exiting slow corners and in technical sections.
Then the above started, mind you now, I love that guy he’s cool. We just have a disagreement. Mind you now my speeds pretty good on tcs.
I’ve posted up for years the times I get using it, often on gr3 I’m equal or faster time wise. So, it’s just a disagreement, but understand last FIA was a perfect example. I kept it on track, and many players didn’t. I scored good points, for me. I never never said everyone should use it OR it’s always faster for everyone.
If you look back I even said it’s NOT faster, maybe over one lap.
But it seems to me my point was missed entirely, by all and that’s ok. I make it through races fine without looping it, the suggestion I don’t, coming from a guy who crashed out last three in a row is preposterous. It’s just a disagreement on this one issue.@pigems you know how I feel regarding debate lol. I enjoy as per our pm from the other thread haha.
Nothing wrong with disagreement, but I don’t want to drag the daily thread here through the mud by continuing this further.
Just see it from my perspective too, as a guy whose pace with tcs is right on up there, when I put in the effort. :)
I just offered help initially to someone struggling. I’m ok with that. :)

Last edited:
So I managed to climb back into C on my main account so the only racing I will be doing on that is practice for manufacturers at the weekend.

It seems I have a bit of learning lag when it comes to car / track combinations I am not familiar with. Looking at the DR on my main account almost all of the downward movement coincides with Monday's new races. With the rest of the week then used trying to regain lost ground.

While I generally don't care about DR too much I do want to race against better drivers who are interested in actually racing rather than bumper cars. Racing against better drivers who actually race will improve my driving too I hope. This is not something I feel will happen spending most of my time fending off punts.

So all that is basically to say I have created an alt account (RiverRacing0). My intent is to use it to learn new races on Monday / Tuesday without having to worry about DR then use those lessons to hopefully get forward movement on the main for a better overall racing experience. Won't ever do any FIA stuff on anything but my main and hope this isn't breaking any unwritten rule or anything.

Not sure who thought Race B was going to be bad for DR. I had two races there last night and gained over 1.5k DR, taking me up to nearly 17k now! If I can find more time, I'll be back for more in my Jag F-Type and the Renault RS.01...

Yes, we have. Initially a member here posted about having trouble with wheelspin in the vette and Mustang gr3 when exiting slow corners and in technical sections.
Then the above started, mind you now, I love that guy he’s cool. We just have a disagreement. Mind you now my speeds pretty good on tcs.
I’ve posted up for years the times I get using it, often on gr3 I’m equal or faster time wise. So, it’s just a disagreement, but understand last FIA was a perfect example. I kept it on track, and many players didn’t. I scored good points, for me. I never never said everyone should use it OR it’s always faster for everyone.
If you look back I even said it’s NOT faster, maybe over one lap.
But it seems to me my point was missed entirely, by all and that’s ok. I make it through races fine without looping it, the suggestion I don’t, coming from a guy who crashed out last three in a row is preposterous. It’s just a disagreement on this one issue.@pigems you know how I feel regarding debate lol. I enjoy as per our pm from the other thread haha.
Nothing wrong with disagreement, but I don’t want to drag the daily thread here through the mud by continuing this further.
Just see it from my perspective too, as a guy whose pace with tcs is right on up there, when I put in the effort. :)
I just offered help initially to someone struggling. I’m ok with that. :)

Man, I’m not doing this again today. Being faster with TCS may work for you, but that’s the exception, not the rule. You used Interlagos yesterday as an example of how you can still be fast with it. Interlagos is both the easiest Diamond to get, and your best track in the game. Show me a Diamond at Big Willow, or one of the other harder tracks with TCS on, and I’ll stop countering your argument. Because the guys I’m chasing, smoked Lewis at all tracks in about an hour and a half, without TCS. :cheers:

As an aside to the TCS debate. How big a step is there between each setting? I struggle with a tendency to stamp on the loud pedal early so even with an easy handling car I have it set at 1 to counteract that. But is 1 really doing much? Is it a big difference from having it switched off? I'm not sure I notice the difference between 1, 2 and 3 to be honest.

As an aside to the TCS debate. How big a step is there between each setting? I struggle with a tendency to stamp on the loud pedal early so even with an easy handling car I have it set at 1 to counteract that. But is 1 really doing much? Is it a big difference from having it switched off? I'm not sure I notice the difference between 1, 2 and 3 to be honest.

TCS 1 only engages when the wheel is basically straight forward, it won’t really help mid corner wheel spin. :)

TCS 1 only engages when the wheel is basically straight forward, it won’t really help mid corner wheel spin. :)
Ah, so basically useless, at least for the issue I have. On the plus side, I suppose this means that if I can get round on TCS 1 then TCS 0 won't really be any different?

Interlagos is both the easiest Diamond to get, and your best track in the game. Show me a Diamond at Big Willow, or one of the other harder tracks with TCS on, and I’ll stop countering your argument. Because the guys I’m chasing, smoked Lewis at all tracks in about an hour and a half, without TCS. :cheers:

Fair enough. I mean I’m only about 1850 hours driving time in game, it took me maybe 30 min to beat him there, I’m sure you’ve got more hours :). Not everyone has that amount of time in you do. :)
Also Ross Bentley did say the fastest tend to dance over under the limit and sometimes crash out. I tend to stay at under. :)
I was rooting for you that last attempt you made in karts! To be fair it could be a bit of a lottery turn one there if maxing out :). Jmo you gotta think of people NOT in the top of the game with maybe under a thousand hours in also.
I don’t think most players are gonna be banging that last downshift perfect in a vette, entering that mini matrix zone of entry rotation like the Bathurst final turn, even for me, I haven’t mastered that but imo it’s necessary to extract every ounce. I don’t like it though because in other games banging out those shifts spins you. Techniques like that though ARE what it takes to get the most from GTS.
I respect you chasing those guys, and what you say is best for you, just as what I say is best for me. I’m happy being up near the top.

As an aside to the TCS debate. How big a step is there between each setting

Ok. Below 2, I think sucks. The reason is it won’t throttle steer to rotate mid turn. It was said by PD, too. I’m generally talking power fr gr3 cars.
Also you may not want to listen to anything I say if you’re not running cockpit view on wheel, I dunno that may affect things I don’t run the other views. It’s a car by car basis. Without ffb I dunno how you’d feel the points of grip dynamically to see a difference.
I drive in a very specific way in GTS.
So what I say might not apply to you. I will say that fundamentally sound technique is fundamentally sound, and translates across to more difficult games nicely, but it’s up to you to understand exactly what that is.
There’s a pretty specific idea I have in mind for what constitutes the “perfect” lap. You’ll never achieve it, but you can come close.
If you’re on wheel it’s worth studying and applying the fundamentals.

Ok. Below 2, I think sucks. The reason is it won’t throttle steer to rotate mid turn. It was said by PD, too. I’m generally talking power fr gr3 cars.
Also you may not want to listen to anything I say if you’re not running cockpit view on wheel, I dunno that may affect things I don’t run the other views. It’s a car by car basis. Without ffb I dunno how you’d feel the points of grip dynamically to see a difference.
I drive in a very specific way in GTS.
So what I say might not apply to you. I will say that fundamentally sound technique is fundamentally sound, and translates across to more difficult games nicely, but it’s up to you to understand exactly what that is.
There’s a pretty specific idea I have in mind for what constitutes the “perfect” lap. You’ll never achieve it, but you can come close.
If you’re on wheel it’s worth studying and applying the fundamentals.
Yes, running a g29 but on bumper cam (used it in Gt1 on ps1 and never changed!)
I think I'll try to do some experimenting with TCS 3 and 0 and see his they compare.
Most importantly I 100% agree with you re: practice, learning to hit the right lines and the right steering inputs. I've got work to do in that respect.
Let's see whether TCS 3 or 0 helps my learning on that front.
I'll report back.

Yes, running a g29 but on bumper cam (used it in Gt1 on ps1 and never changed!)
I think I'll try to do some experimenting with TCS 3 and 0 and see his they compare.
Most importantly I 100% agree with you re: practice, learning to hit the right lines and the right steering inputs. I've got work to do in that respect.
Let's see whether TCS 3 or 0 helps my learning on that front.
I'll report back.

I’d say too, braking more specific trail braking real smooth let’s you turn better, you need that, and clipping those apexes by the cones is really more important than tcs settings imo.
Braking plus steering well will probably gain you time if using the fr gr3, that’s what opens up your exits, hitting those apexes. Time comes from getting on power ASAP at apex and coming out.
Anyways good luck and please don’t feel a need to follow me.
The majority here have spoken, many many many many times lmao.

Not sure who thought Race B was going to be bad for DR. I had two races there last night and gained over 1.5k DR, taking me up to nearly 17k now! If I can find more time, I'll be back for more in my Jag F-Type and the Renault RS.01...
I'm in the same DR range as you (18k right now), and have found that just keeping your nose clean is generally enough to increase DR. By staying on track at a decent pace you will invariably finish above a couple of faster but inconsistent drivers.
After watching @Tidgney's track guide, I'm actually looking forward to getting back on tonight to drive race C, concentrating on being smooth. Had a go last night and may as well been in a rally car half of the time. I'm just concerned that using a controller is going to hurt me in those long radius corners.

Related, I'm picking up a 28' 4K monitor this afternoon to replace the 23" 1080p one I've been using. Very excited.

EDIT: On the TCS thing, I've been using 1 on most cars, but think I might bite the bullet and go to zero for all but the fastest ones (which was my approach for previous GTs, I'm jut older and out of practice now).

Last edited:
What I've found is:

1: no wheel spin when driving straight, but can break the tires loose on a turn (all you need for a standing start, for example)
2: will prevent most spins in turns, prevents the wheelspin when turning but nose will move a little toward the direction you want to go (if you insist on running it in races, all you really need to prevent spinning out on throttle-on exits)
3: will keep the nose completely on line, zero oversteer angle in turns, but now you really start to clip the power available at the wheels if you stay on the throttle
4: who knows... never ran it!
5: will run the car on rails in the wettest conditions, you will not spin if you try (was particularly great at Spa FIA race on lap one, then I turned it all the way off to run at best pace rest of race)

I'm in the same DR range as you (18k right now), and have found that just keeping your nose clean is generally enough to increase DR. By staying on track at a decent pace you will invariably finish above a couple of faster but inconsistent drivers.
After watching @Tidgney's track guide, I'm actually looking forward to getting back on tonight to drive race C, concentrating on being smooth. Had a go last night and may as well been in a rally car half of the time. I'm just concerned that using a controller is going to hurt me in those long radius corners.

Related, I'm picking up a 28' 4K monitor this afternoon to replace the 23" 1080p one I've been using. Very excited.

EDIT: On the TCS thing, I've been using 1 on most cars, but think I might bite the bullet and go to zero for all but the fastest ones (which was my approach for previous GTs, I'm jut older and out of practice now).

If you can run at 1, you can run at 0... it was only really helping you in a straight line anyway, so the risk is small, and what I've learned is in fact that running on 1 makes it harder to 'catch' an oversteer in a longer corner, because it covers up the 'feel' until it's almost too late to catch it. You'll be just fine to turn it down to 0 if you've run a bunch at 1.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I mean I’m only about 1850 hours driving time in game, it took me maybe 30 min to beat him there, I’m sure you’ve got more hours :). Not everyone has that amount of time in you do. :)
Also Ross Bentley did say the fastest tend to dance over under the limit and sometimes crash out. I tend to stay at under. :)
I was rooting for you that last attempt you made in karts! To be fair it could be a bit of a lottery turn one there if maxing out :). Jmo you gotta think of people NOT in the top of the game with maybe under a thousand hours in also.
I don’t think most players are gonna be banging that last downshift perfect in a vette, entering that mini matrix zone of entry rotation like the Bathurst final turn, even for me, I haven’t mastered that but imo it’s necessary to extract every ounce. I don’t like it though because in other games banging out those shifts spins you. Techniques like that though ARE what it takes to get the most from GTS.
I respect you chasing those guys, and what you say is best for you, just as what I say is best for me. I’m happy being up near the top.

Don’t try to move the goal posts! No where did I ever say that everyone should run no TCS, look back at my posts from yesterday. I simply said that there comes a certain point in the learning curve where it’s time to leave it behind, if one wants to continue on the path of improvement. Once you can make it through races without spinning, it’s time to consider turning it off if improvement is the main goal, no more, no less. If people can’t make it through races without spins, they should probably be using TCS, so don’t twist my words around.

As for hours driven in game, I don’t think that’s relevant, everyone learns at different paces. I might learn less in my 4K driving hours than the next guys learned in 2k driving hours. Heck, @Winnie847 beats me most FIA nights with only an hour or two of practice, after I’ve been practicing all week.

As for the Kart race,(and this is cute that you managed bring up the only time I’ve ever seen you in top split, and try to throw it in there that I spun out in that race. Nice try BTW. :lol:) I entered that race with minimal practice and just did it for kicks and giggles, I am not good with karts and went in fully expecting to most likely bin it. :lol:

And finally, stop trying to use this debate to validate your own opinions on the matter, who is right and wrong is irrelevant here. The only thing that matters is the truth, and no TCS is faster, hands down, all day, all night, and that’s not up for debate. :cheers:

Also, we are not talking about “other games”, we are discussing GTS, in ACC TCS works differently and the top guys use it. That’s not the case here in GTS, so let’s leave other games out of the conversation, and stop trying to divert attention away from the main topic.

Last edited:
Watched Tidgney’s track guide while on “radio watch” at work early this morning. Actually pumped for a go at today’s races. I sure wish they’d give us an MX-5 daily race that let us use racing tires. The sports tires model is just waaaay to unrealistic and “skate-y” IMHO.

Had to go To my folks house after work this morning to help my dad with a fence. Drove by Willow Springs about an hour ago on my way up. I think we’re do for a good willow springs combo. A group 2 race C should fit the bill nicely

All I know is there's a lot of people not using TCS that should be.
You know those people who spin out on corner exits, and create problems for the people behind them?
A few times I have sent post-race messages saying "Dude, turn on your TCS". :lol:
That really depends.
About 90%+ of the time I am fine. Every now and then I spin or wobble. It's part of racing. I agree maybe those who are constantly doing it should but then they maybe are trying to learn too.

Watched Tidgney’s track guide while on “radio watch” at work early this morning. Actually pumped for a go at today’s races. I sure wish they’d give us an MX-5 daily race that let us use racing tires. The sports tires model is just waaaay to unrealistic and “skate-y” IMHO.

Had to go To my folks house after work this morning to help my dad with a fence. Drove by Willow Springs about an hour ago on my way up. I think we’re do for a good willow springs combo. A group 2 race C should fit the bill nicely
1 of 2 tracks in the game of which I have real miles on
Turn 8-9 pucker factor every lap !

If you can run at 1, you can run at 0... it was only really helping you in a straight line anyway, so the risk is small, and what I've learned is in fact that running on 1 makes it harder to 'catch' an oversteer in a longer corner, because it covers up the 'feel' until it's almost too late to catch it. You'll be just fine to turn it down to 0 if you've run a bunch at 1.
That is pretty much what your summary told me. I'll default to 0 from now on, and go for 2 with the cars that are a real handful (mostly Gr1 and the very top end road cars). Generally though, if I need to put TCS on to avoid spinning out of every hairpin, I'm probably not having fun anyway.

So I managed to climb back into C on my main account so the only racing I will be doing on that is practice for manufacturers at the weekend.

It seems I have a bit of learning lag when it comes to car / track combinations I am not familiar with. Looking at the DR on my main account almost all of the downward movement coincides with Monday's new races. With the rest of the week then used trying to regain lost ground.

While I generally don't care about DR too much I do want to race against better drivers who are interested in actually racing rather than bumper cars. Racing against better drivers who actually race will improve my driving too I hope. This is not something I feel will happen spending most of my time fending off punts.

So all that is basically to say I have created an alt account (RiverRacing0). My intent is to use it to learn new races on Monday / Tuesday without having to worry about DR then use those lessons to hopefully get forward movement on the main for a better overall racing experience. Won't ever do any FIA stuff on anything but my main and hope this isn't breaking any unwritten rule or anything.

My main reason for Alt-acc was to keep the main acc in the higher DR for the Nation and Manufactures races to score more points and I found them to be cleaner races before the recent changes, now there not so clean anymore. Turns out my alt-acc is doing better than my main acc because I'm trying cars with it that I stayed away from and learning more driving skills because of it. I spent most of my time yesterday as I do most Mondays getting to grips with races A & C and setting a decent Q time so I didn't race until doing a B race earlier, my Q time was 2nd and pole guy spent the first lap trying to run me of the track as he was crap and I kept getting level with him after turn 3 but didn't force it as I knew I would probably come out on the wrong side. Going to jump into A & C later and might catch you there. I can't see any shame in having as many accounts as you want once your not using them to cheat, I won my 1st ever race on alt in Gr1 straight out of the blocks and yes I did feel guilty because I knew how to win and that maybe it wasn't fair but after that it was back to the same battles as main acc once I hit DR-C, I'm quite sure I'm not the only person to win their first race on alt-acc having played the game for a long time before starting it.

I use X and square so inputs are harsh, I use TC2 to race and for qualy I fiddle with TC all lap. So at LM, TC2 for sector 1 then TC0 rest of lap for example. I try to delve into TC1 for races but the small time gain is pointless if I turn it around on a kerb, I am slower anyway as I am tentative vs 100pc confident on TC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back