"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Race C at Monza is really great fun at the moment. I hang at the back for the first few corners, and then start my race once the field has spread out a bit. I don't care about where I finish, and so I am not worried if I get pushed off, but I've been quite lucky that attempts to send me to the shadow realm haven't worked very often.

It never fails to amaze me the lengths dirty players will go to race in a dirty manner. Those with penalties brake-checking before the penalty zone, or un ghost and try to force off those with a run on them. Almost all dirty racers quite before, or immediately at the end of the race. Very few hang around for the post-race comments.

When reporting a player, what does it actually do? I guess absolutely nothing?

I don't mind the penalty system at the moment, but the way it is scored is the real problem. It should be difficult to get and retain A, and very difficult to get and retain S ranking. Getting regular reports should (in a hidden way) impact SR ratings.

For some reason I seem to have been reset, was racing at Monza and a car appeared in the middle of the back straight out of nowhere and when I hit it the game crashed, checked my DR after and it was ok and even raced in 2 more daily races and 2 hours later I'm way down in DR-D after losing 5k points. Races I have been in are crazy and thinking that I might just have to dish it right back at people which I have been trying to avoid.

For some reason I seem to have been reset, was racing at Monza and a car appeared in the middle of the back straight out of nowhere and when I hit it the game crashed, checked my DR after and it was ok and even raced in 2 more daily races and 2 hours later I'm way down in DR-D after losing 5k points. Races I have been in are crazy and thinking that I might just have to dish it right back at people which I have been trying to avoid.
I didn't think that was possible now..

As I’m a sucker for punishment I’ve had a few runs at Monza today.

Last week at Suzuka was dreadful and I was well off the pace even after I had been Narnia’d. I had also been slow in the Tokyo FIA but Monza is a track I do well at. Jumped in the Jag and ran some fp laps. I know I can do mid 57s in the Jag and low 57s in the Veyron so the leaderboard gave me some hope that once I found a groove I would be competitive.

At the end of my first session my best lap had been a 58.8??? It had felt good and I wasn’t at all sure why it would have been over a second off my usual pace. So I jumped in to watch a replay and see where I was getting it wrong, and that’s when I saw it. Running down the back straight towards Ascari, throttle wide open and my ABS light is blinking. The brake is engaged maybe 5-10%. I rest my foot on the brake, but it hasn’t caused me any trouble in the past. So I jump back in the car and do a test lap and sure enough, with foot all the way off the pedal I’m getting occasional braking when full throttle.

A quick Google suggests that one of the causes of this kind of thing with G29 pedals is pet hair getting inside the housing. We have a golden Labrador and 2 cats, so it’s a distinct possibility.

So this morning I take it apart, clean out a small but significant amount of dog hair and put my pedals back together. Jump in the Veyron and immediately the brake problem is gone and I post a 57.0. Good enough for pole and 2nd in my 2 races.
P2 and p3 finishes.

So, for over a week I’ve been thinking I’ve lost my mojo, when actually I was driving around with the brakes on :banghead:.

Maybe I need to take my G29 pedals apart. My light has been flashing for months, but I figured it wasn't doing anything. I'll have to run some hot laps at Interlagos, and then clean and see if I'm faster...

Maybe I need to take my G29 pedals apart. My light has been flashing for months, but I figured it wasn't doing anything. I'll have to run some hot laps at Interlagos, and then clean and see if I'm faster...
yes the G29 pedals are notorious for hair or dust getting in there and causing issues. I have had the brake issue occur where the ABS light is flickering also the accelerator where you have the pedal floored and your car is sputtering like its down a couple of cylinders and of course they dont need to be cleaned at the same time. I clean one 1 month and a month or 2 later the other needs cleaning

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I entered the B race twice in my freshly painted Mustang.
I began without qualifying or practice and still managed to pick up spots in each race when cars were off or failed to defend properly.
The Mustang seemed strong in race with these tires relative to the other cars. It’s got great brakes good stability and hard drive out of the corner as well as good low speed handling. It’s a bit dicey turn 3 but outside that pretty dominant.
I ran some qual on the main and managed a 30.5 but left a couple tenths out there. I shared my lap search tpc.
I think people go very wrong in their approach to Interlagos when they choose slower handling cars.
Those cars can only be used at the top of the best rooms but for your average race a stability car, planted and assertive on the inside just works better.
The Mustang is really nice to drive here. Other cars might be better over one lap but easy to drive has something to be said for it.
I think any advantages it has are negated though if you turn tcs off.
At least they are for me. It hits 162 on the front straight into t1 at tcs3, so it’s not that slow. Horses for courses, I know no one else likes tcs3, but I do. I was running low mid 31 in race though and the faster guys can hit a second or so quicker in their Genesis etc in race.

Re clean driving I’m not planning for it or expecting it. You can bump barge and rub, but not punt. You can push, move the others but not just Hail Mary punt them off like a lunatic, that will get ya pens.
It’s hard simcade racing on b. Really, right now in GTS it’s every man for himself. If you expect clean you’re playing the wrong game imo.
It’s a different kind of fun, gloves off stickin the noses in throwing a little hip check maybe a little revenge shove or swipe.
Don’t expect contact free anytime soon in this game and you can have fun, just adjust your expectations to the pen system.
Mustang!

I run TCS off and I was faster than the Veyrons(alongside through the parabolica and past the start/finish line) until we pass pit exit. From there, it pulls away, but they brake earlier for each corner there after.

Even out of the draft, I catch back up in braking. Plus, it's crisp off-throttle turn in and 3rd gear pull. The Mustang is a sleeper.

I run TCS off and I was faster than the Veyrons(alongside through the parabolica and past the start/finish line) until we pass pit exit. From there, it pulls away, but they brake earlier for each corner there after.

Even out of the draft, I catch back up in braking. Plus, it's crisp off-throttle turn in and 3rd gear pull. The Mustang is a sleeper.

I think you are talking gr4. The gr4 Mustang is one of the best gr4 imo.
But the gr3 on the med tire at Interlagos is pretty great too.

that was a great commercial forgot all about that one

To be honest I am starting to see less dirt. Could be things have settled down and the decent racers are staying at the top or I've been lucky. I have been seeing a lot of people in my tow brake early and backing out where a few weeks ago they would dive for the inside. I have had some great side by side battles including today. Absolutely clean stuff with a German and a Brit at Monza. I think we all said our congrats to each other after the race. There was a bit of mosh at Rettifilo lap 2 (Lap 1 was clean.) It's mostly people trying to push through hoping for ghosts. After that it was completely fine. I know I have put the kybosh on it now.:scared:
I also pulled off this fine out-thinking manoeuvre on a Frenchman. :cool:

Tried C. Quit lap 2.

It's bad out there in terms of Sportsmanship. Not the penalty system. The people. Monza has never been raceable in GTS.

For example, T1, at SR S how are people punting and driving away? Is there a clearer time to pull over? I guess they never pull over? But expect others to?

It's not the penalty system, it's people gaming the penalty system or the margin of error the systems gives each player. Always has been. Change the parameters, they change and find another way to game the system.

But need to remember it's part of any game. Not exclusive to GT or video games. Even in pro-Sports some people get paid to exploit rules, push the boundaries., exhibit clearly bad sportsmanship. Which is why a perfect penalty system doesn't exist. GTS isn't perfect? Well how about FIFA World Cup penalty kicks? :lol:

Last edited:
So I joined the Veyron race C bandwagon today and it's been ok to drive but you do need to take care of the tyres in the first half of the race or you die in the second half. Had some decent results last to 4th a couple of times mostly just because of tyre saving and staying out of trouble.

Racing wise this evening it's been pretty horrible and the baseball bats are out in force. There is some good racing to be had but it's often hard to find among all the other crap that is going on.

Had a brutal fight with a French driver who got ahead of me after a lot of bumping and punt attempts. They gapped me a couple of seconds because they pushed me slightly off track while going past and I had a tank slapper to deal with. Then they got into another fight with a German which they lost and spun out.

For the rest of the race they were just trying to brake check or anytime I was alongside would just start pushing me off track. This was for 15th place by the way so not even top 10 or podiums on the line so I have no idea why they were so desperate to stay ahead. Wasn't a fun race at all and the only consolation is that the French person was red SR by the end and I didn't see them for rest of evening.

Still racing the Huracán too and doing ok with it but just had better results with the Veyron. Given how things seem to be going this is a strictly alt account week of racing for me.

or the rest of the race they were just trying to brake check or anytime I was alongside would just start pushing me off track. This was for 15th place by the way so not even top 10 or podiums on the line so I have no idea why they were so desperate to stay ahead. Wasn't a fun race at all

I don’t understand. You let them stay on track while doing this?
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t punt them off?

Yikes. Three races at Interlagos and I'm down 1500 DR! The penalty system has ruined that race for me. Nothing polite about any of the driving going on there. I got run off the road at least a dozen times, people trying to go three deep into the tight hairpin turns, just ridiculous. Won't be back, sadly.

EDIT: Look at that DR drop! :(

upload_2021-4-7_8-31-31.png

Last edited:
TwoSlow4Pole

I tried the RS01, I have over 8000 miles driven in it but just couldn't get on with at Suzuka for some reason so took the mazda for some rotary aural loveliness.

We had a great run to the line one of those races!

I had a few friends say the same about the RS. My first race with it was a struggle, I pit lap 2 on H and tried to do 8 on mediums HAH that went “well”. Once it loses rear grip it falls off a cliff, it kills those mediums. It has issues in the hairpin and exit of Spoon, I had to really ease into the throttle in the late laps.

One advantage of the last SR changes is that DR matchmaking is tighter. I see less DRC/D with super fast Q times. Which stops the risk of losing a lot of DR should a mistake happen or whatnot.

Races have become lower reward/risk. Over time as this sinks in I think drivers looking for higher rewards will get bored and races will clean up.

That is interesting analysis. By not doing DR resets there are more DR points in the game and therefore more DR points to spread around.

The dynamic is interesting. As you have stated some of those old fast DR.C now DR.A and now have something to lose. There are others, I swear, are working extra hard, and doing overtime punting, to get reset or at least dropped to a lower SR where they can get the cheap win.

Ran a couple at Monza on the alt... I love the track and if you’re lucky enough to avoid the clowns it’s as fun as any place. And I do like how the Bugatti drives. I didn’t avoid them all completely but managed a quick 1200 DR and kept a CRB streak alive, with my first two tries at it, even starting mid pack. Had fun seeing @NevilleNobody out there. Wish I had time for more, but will try again Saturday night or Sunday. Seems like good value for grinding DR, which I need after being reckless with it for a couple of weeks. (Which is of course what alts are for..., but I want that “A” back that I let slip).

I'm not one to advocate this, but if they were constantly doing it I would be sending them on an expenses paid trip to the beach. Bucket and spade included.

Totally agree, My mindset has totally changed the last few days and I'm not giving way anymore to the idiots who ram their way through, I don't go hunting people down like so many are now and what is worse is they take everyone else out trying to get back at whoever rammed them. Granted you know that there going to try punt you off again if you try pass but I tend to pick a spot where you can help them eat gravel. Had a right bunch of idiots at Monza last night who kept blocking and at every point so saved my tyres while pushing them to use up their tyres and went from 9th to 5th on last 2 laps.

These guys need to feel the pain that we are too, there not racers and deserve no respect. Don't feel guilty about he.ping these idiots off the track if they give you the opportunity trying to takecyou out.

Last edited:
Yikes. Three races at Interlagos and I'm down 1500 DR! The penalty system has ruined that race for me. Nothing polite about any of the driving going on there. I got run off the road at least a dozen times, people trying to go three deep into the tight hairpin turns, just ridiculous. Won't be back, sadly.

EDIT: Look at that DR drop! :(

View attachment 1002804
Ouch! You're practically at my DR now, so I really feel sorry for you. If you see me don't forget to wave. :gtpflag:

These guys need to feel the pain that we are too, there not racers and deserve no respect. Don't feel guilty about he.ping these idiots off the track if they give you the opportunity trying to takecyou out.

Spot on. I started keeping a note of the worst ones I met last week. Several of them are actually very quick and would most likely have done well racing cleanly, but have made themselves targets now for all the disgruntled clean racers.

I've had really enjoyable racing at Laguna so far and Interlagos has been OK, but I'm so so slow there that I just have to worry about taking myself out.

I can't stand Group 4 races these days mainly because of the meta madness, Veyron everywhere. Like I can use another car, but I don't want to purposefully gimp myself. At least this race has room for mistakes (penalty galore) so a subpar car can easily be competitive.

But on Race B, check out this amazing move on me.
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210407212936.jpg

I wasn't out of control the moment before, they are just taking a very interesting line. As in, he straight just drove me off the track, through the grass and they got no penalty from that; I was inside line because well, late in the race with a lousy exit, going to take defensive line with plenty of room on the racing line but that seem to be a foreign concept. They were probably a little upset that I squeezed them quite a bit on the straight by the pits and they almost got crushed, but I was very clearly taking the inside line for Turn 1. In fact I could had squeezed him right on the barrier between pitstop and race track if I want to be a real bellend. They probably would had overtaken me on both occasion legitimately if they took the outside line, in the first instance they would had a good run out of Senna esses, whereas here they probably get me in the braking zone up ahead.

Funny thing was, they tried to take me out next race too with a ludicrous dive bomb in sector 2, I noticed them, delay the turn in and they took out the car in front of me enough for me to go pass the guy in front and then they just rage quit after. Thanks for the position.

Last edited:
Ouch! You're practically at my DR now, so I really feel sorry for you. If you see me don't forget to wave. :gtpflag:
If I'm dumb enough to head out for more punishment and I see you I will indeed give you a wave! (Probably while I'm facing the wrong way in the depths of turn 4 after some clown has punted me off into the upside down.) When do you do your races? I find I only get time after about 9pm til about midnight at the moment...

EDIT: If you need me, I'll be over in the livery editor trying to have some stress-free fun in this game! :sly:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back