"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that nobody's asked for it, but I'm sure a lot of people are wondering how to go from 1st to 8th on the first lap.
Race A is all about turn 1, on lap 1(If you're starting at the front).
Here's me screwing up the first turn (If you slow down too much, you'll get killed), and subsequently having 10 contacts in the first lap. :lol::lol::lol:

Only one song for that amount of contact.

Definitely going back to single-player sims for a while. I had a handful of good races this past week at Suzuka, but over the weekend I saw some of the worst racing I've ever seen in this game, in lobbies that were almost entirely A-rated or higher. One person tried to dive up the inside three wide into Degner 1, someone else knocked me off at 130R after I was slow from a penalty even though I tried to give them as much room as possible... Even if you try to let faster cars through you still get ****ed over. So many times this week I've passed someone because they couldn't drive consistently, then they got mad that I passed them so they dived up the inside by brute force in the next corner and pushed me wide, followed by swerving to prevent me from passing again, and usually ended with me getting punted off the track.

It's very clear that SR system is so lenient right now even extremely dirty drivers have no trouble maintaining a maximum rating. PD makes the system too strict, we complain, then they make it too lenient, we complain, etc..

The fact is it's never been too strict, but just too simplistic. The number of times I've gotten absurd penalties after getting caught in the aftermath of an incident between two other cars, or hitting someone who rejoins right on the racing line without making sure the track is clear is ridiculous. Penalties need to be strict, but smart, and some very basic things would go a long way.

The game can already detect when someone has lost control or leaves the racing surface, but it only takes that into account when they happen after an incident, rather than when they precede it. If a car has already lost control and another car then comes into contact with it, the second car is obviously not at fault. If a car rejoins the circuit and comes into contact with another car within a couple seconds, it's almost certainly the rejoining car's fault. The penalty system could take those things into account and say to itself "well car A was already in an abnormal state by the time the incident occurred with car B, so car B is clearly not at fault". The game already detects these situations and sets states for yellow flags and ghosting, and could easily take that information into account for proceeding incidents as well, and the number of incorrect penalties and SR DOWN's would plummet, even if the system was strict.

This is the kind of **** that makes me extremely apprehensive about GT7, because I have no confidence that they won't just "copy and paste" the current penalty system into that game. It sucks because I've never been so consistent at Suzuka as I have this week, and the few good, clean races I have had were amazing. Ah well, maybe I'll start a new season in F1.

Last edited:
All I gotta say is, if you ran someone off at the chicane on B so hard they get reset, and next race you are on pole maybe your greeting of please don’t hit me will fall on deaf ears :). Just sayin.
Maybe when the guy in second types “np” you should be very very afraid.

Last edited:
All I gotta say is, if you ran someone off at the chicane on B so hard they get reset, and next race you are on pole maybe your greeting of please don’t hit me will fall on deaf ears :). Just sayin.
Maybe when the guy in second types “np” you should be very very afraid.
When I plan to hit someone, my pre-race message to them is usually "Good luck ;-)", "Buckle up", or "Tighten your chinstrap". :lol:

Last edited:
Lol I am open about my destruction derby mode haha. I’ve been bad, today.
I’m not sure I can post a q time as fast as you and Komso have though. I’ll probably make another q run tomorrow. It’s really cool actually to see you guys gaining that high rank and starting pole with 02 times.
I feel like hey I was gone for a week now you guys are A plus.
Great job both you guys. Great to see such huge improvements. :)

Thanks. While I have used this board as a huge resource to I want to especially thank you for your patient coaching. You explain the "why" and with that I can usually determine the "how" that will work for me.

Cheers!

Definitely going back to single-player sims for a while. I had a handful of good races this past week at Suzuka, but over the weekend I saw some of the worst racing I've ever seen in this game, in lobbies that were almost entirely A-rated or higher. One person tried to dive up the inside three wide into Degner 1, someone else knocked me off at 130R after I was slow from a penalty even though I tried to give them as much room as possible... Even if you try to let faster cars through you still get ****ed over. So many times this week I've passed someone because they couldn't drive consistently, then they got mad that I passed them so they dived up the inside by brute force in the next corner and pushed me wide, followed by swerving to prevent me from passing again, and usually ended with me getting punted off the track.

It's very clear that SR system is so lenient right now even extremely dirty drivers have no trouble maintaining a maximum rating. PD makes the system too strict, we complain, then they make it too lenient, we complain, etc..

The fact is it's never been too strict, but just too simplistic. The number of times I've gotten absurd penalties after getting caught in the aftermath of an incident between two other cars, or hitting someone who rejoins right on the racing line without making sure the track is clear is ridiculous. Penalties need to be strict, but smart, and some very basic things would go a long way.

The game can already detect when someone has lost control or leaves the racing surface, but it only takes that into account when they happen after an incident, rather than when they precede it. If a car has already lost control and another car then comes into contact with it, the second car is obviously not at fault. If a car rejoins the circuit and comes into contact with another car with in a couple seconds, it's almost certainly the rejoining car's fault. The penalty could take those things into account and say to itself "well car A was already in an abnormal state by the time the incident occurred with car B, so car B is clearly not at fault". The game already detects these situations and sets states for yellow flags and ghosting, and could easily take that information into account for proceeding incidents as well, and the number of incorrect penalties and SR Downs would plummet, even if the system was strict.

This is the kind of **** that makes me extremely apprehensive about GT7, because I have no confidence that they won't just "copy and paste" the current penalty system into that game. It sucks because I've never been so consistent at Suzuka as I have this week, and the few good, clean races I have had were amazing. Ah well, maybe I'll start a new season in F1.
This is a good post and you make some good points but the only solution I see for now is to avoid racing on the weekends. I've noticed a difference.

This is a good post and you make some good points but the only solution I see for now is to avoid racing on the weekends. I've noticed a difference.
Usually I race on weekday mornings and early afternoons and they are a bit calmer for the most part, but I think some car/track combinations are just conducive to chaos. I had two good races Monday, two bad races Tuesday one good race on Wednesday, and everything after that was pretty bad. And at this point my standard for a good race isn't "oh I had a good, consistent drive", but rather "wow, no one actually ruined my race".

It's just not worth the frustration. But I can do a thirty minute race in ACC against the AI and still get a good challenge. The racing isn't as dynamic and unpredictable, but right now that's pretty appealing to me. And I can't imagine PD fixing things any time soon.

Last edited:
Forgot Suzuka is still broken for P20. Seriously PD......how has this not been fixed yet??

Said screw it and just did a solo race stint. Slowest Q time was a 59.6. Figures might as well try to snag fast lap. Pit end of lap 6 on Hards, switched to Mediums for 4 hot laps, grabbed fast lap on 8 and had ended up reducing a 49sec deficit to 8sec. Silver lining I guess lol.

what sucks is next round it showed me P20 so I quit and it said I’d lose rating points for it, so ridiculous. PD fix this nonsense.

Last edited:
Forgot Suzuka is still broken for P20. Seriously PD......how has this not been fixed yet??

Said screw it and just did a solo race stint. Slowest Q time was a 59.6. Figures might as well try to snag fast lap. Pit end of lap 6 on Hards, switched to Mediums for 4 hot laps, grabbed fast lap on 8 and had ended up reducing a 49sec deficit to 8sec. Silver lining I guess lol.

what sucks is next round it showed me P20 so I quit and it said I’d lose rating points for it, so ridiculous. PD fix this nonsense.
Pretty sure you were in a few of my races last week racing from the back at suzuka. I could see you coming through the pack and was more worried about you than the people behind me in 2nd/3rd . You were in the RS01 right?

This weeks Daily races.

Is there no imagination in PD at all, Gr 3 & 4 again and not long since we last had the Mazda one make. One think for sure is Monza will be dirty and only the Hard tyre and no fuel will be required. race B not much better for dirty driving.

I'll be in the Cayman no qualy. I'm sure I'll move up at least one spot from the RCZ, Veyron, F-Type Cup race.

Edit: Only ONE RCZ? Wow...
EyMgDUfUcAEmSmz

Last edited:
Bogus second chicane penalties in effect. I got one as two players went off. Me and a player ahead got .5 for our troubles of passing through them.
Other than that, respectful driving. The 458 was braking a bit too early at the back half of the circuit. I had to avoid it wit 3 laps to go. Lost touch when the F-Type and TT came into play. No tyre wear with the Cayman. This race is a little bit better than a Custom Race. Just a little bit.

Also, P7 seems to be under control. Had two races with that player and I didn't see any shinanegans. I'll check my replays later.
EyMlZXIVoAE6_Ry

Last edited:
Jumped in to Monza without qualifying just to complete daily mileage and watch the replay and race from the back. There were a few guys just running everything off the road and I checked them on Kudos and before the update there where not SR-S but now they are and this is the issue and not so much the penalty system, no SR drops at all.

Just and example of one driver not going to waste time on them
Screenshot 2021-04-05 093602.png

I'm going to chose any car that I have not really used to any great extent and race from the back this week, RCZ is parked and clamped for the week and wife has the key. I know DR will drop but I still want to drive.

Race B seems okay for me to qualify. An RSR in the previous race, kept going way wide at T6. I was passing it there all race(I was getting repassed, due to me being courteous of players unghosting after penalties). Last lap, I got held up by a C7. I was letting it recover. The RSR passes and here we go to T6.... AMAZING! It got the hint to take the tighter line at entry.:eek::cheers:
Now, if only it did that from the start, I wouldn't have lost spots after gaining.
EyMuQM9U4AIkHjU

Had a bit of a nightmare on Saturday, between warm up and the race a friend came online so had been out to the OS to join that, came back in for race start and 3, 2, 1 go aaaannddd.. nothing. no throttle, steering. Argh! unplug wheel from console, plug back in, it centres but still nothing, knock power and console connection off - centers but still nothing, switch to controller and back again, nothing.. Had to leave and let DR take a beating. In the end I had to restart the whole console before it came back to life.

Just and example of one driver not going to waste time on themView attachment 1002367

Thats how my record looks and I aim to drive clean, but do retaliate if eg. someone is slower but keeps hitting me when I catch up and try and pass again. If you compare my DR and SR graphs they almost always go in opposite directions with one peaking while the other dips. It's all stuff like trying to hold position in a pack while other cars are jostling for position, in a lot of cases I either get penalties or give up positions to avoid any contact.

It does seem regardless of the system people game it so people who intend to drive dirty and know how come out best. I lost 1st at Tokyo this weekend after someone dived and slammed me into a wall (after missing previous attempts) but they never got a penalty, presumably because they made sure they tapped the wall on the way out.

This weeks Daily races.

Is there no imagination in PD at all, Gr 3 & 4 again and not long since we last had the Mazda one make. One think for sure is Monza will be dirty and only the Hard tyre and no fuel will be required. race B not much better for dirty driving.

They really do need to work on this aspect of the game but it leads to a bigger discussion as to what exactly, is the game about. The class system is atrocious, too broad with miss-matching cars, that needs to be fixed first. From there, TBH, they need to trim down the car count and focus more on filling out the classes they have dedicated to. I also do not understand why fast road cars don't get more of a run in Race A at least, there's no shortage of 400+HP cars that could be used but it is relentless low powered buzz boxes or Group 3/4.

Race C..... I am shunted at.... well, less see. What corner have I not been knocked to the shadow realm. Maybe Parabolica. Game crashing has not been kind to my DR, the C rating players are just horrid. I have had 3rd ruined twice by people just intending to run me off.

Worse of all is being hit to the side down to turn 1, like a blatant shunt to the left, like inside is a perfectly fine inside line on defense, I might not even get by. I gave up going defensive and just let the shunters go to the sand trap because if I take an inside line I am going off to the sand trap. And because of how aggressive other drivers are, I sort of have to be a little impolite too especially in 2nd chicane, lost too many positions there not wanting to cause a scene in first lap.

After the first few laps, the racing is great/turns to avoid the penalty.

I participated in over 30 B races last week, and this week looks to be another fun one although I may no qual.
Just a reminder please self identify if you do not wish to be annhilated during the dailies.
I’m pretty sure there’s Groundfish voodoo dolls in many bedrooms in South America chock full of needles.
I’ve enjoyed the stress relief the game now provides. I have found the BEST thing to do is set your dr just below 30k, but have a good q.
This places you in to fast rooms with A players, but the best thing is that being a B when they get angry and hit you they are much more likely to be penalized.
Oh the replays from last week!
Incredible! I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time! It’s dirty! If you can’t beat em, join em!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Congrats on the clean race achievement. Not sure I'll ever get there.

I should enjoy all these races.
Race A. I love the MX-5 Touring car. I am thinking of running an event during the May Day bank holiday with them.
However I didn't have a chance to qualify before the race started meaning I was last but 1 on the grid. Wasn't too bad throughout the race. Managed a decent overtake into turn 5 but the queue up the hill meant I lost the place again. Going into the last corner I misjudged my braking and span a Frenchman around. :dunce:
Then at the penultimate lap I do the same but with no-one there I just run wide. I keep her straight but guess who I am now in front of. Yup the Frenchman. There is still plenty of space between us, but he doesn't care. I see the triangle come in hot on the radar. I go around at Andretti. Unfortunately the car decides to do several doughnuts before facing the right way. I finish some 20 odd seconds behind. After last night that seems familiar. In the chat I say I was going to say sorry but not after the move they pulled. Silence. If people can't understand the difference between what was an accidental hit compared to something dirty then you're just adding to the issue. Plenty to come from this race so I will be going back in.

Race B. Had this twice recently. Both as a Race C and as the FIA. However we have had a BOP adjustment since. Looking at the leaderboard I see the RCZ occupy about half of the top times. I won one last week so it seems a good time to try her out. What was I expecting from an MR car. Decent rotation and maybe a little squiggly. What I got was a traditional French car. Understeer built in and not too quick on the straight. I started 7th. I was able to keep up with those ahead but that was it. I ran wide at Lake Descent and lost a couple of places as well as earning 0.5 seconds. A couple of people span out so I gained a couple of places. Finished 7th. Not the worst but I will be trying a few better cars. I will say the RCZ felt very stable for an MR, just like the 911 I guess.

Race C. I knew there was only 1 car for this. The Veyron. I needed to update the livery on it so again I did not have the time to qualify. However a fair few others hadn't either. So I did line up 13th. But a WRX quit. (Wrong car bud.) I passed the Atenza ahead before the grid hatchings finished. But he decided to plow into turn 1. I avoided any initial contact. But heading through the lefthander they decided that's where they wanted to rejoin the track. Boom, punted into the beach. Got out 3rd last. From there I was able to get past other cars thanks to the straight line advantage of the Veyron. (Surprisingly there was only 4 of us.) Eventually due to penalties, spins and overtakes I am up to 5th with 3rd and 4th battling ahead. I get up to 4th and then proceed to muck up my entry into Della Roggia. I keep my speed down to avoid a penalty. Now back in 6th. The German ahead almost spins on the exit of the Rettifilio and I go past. I pull away but only inch towards those ahead. I should be set for a solid 5th. However on the last lap I just don't concentrate and run wide through Lesmo 2. I car instantly bogs. I keep her straight but loose a couple of places to finish 7th.

Some good results and unusually for a week of daily races I will probably do all 3 of them across the week.

Done a few of race C this afternoon and its just been a bit boring to be honest. Stayed away from the Veyron so have run the Aston and the Huracán mostly. Starting at the back as is my usual preference and just staying out of trouble is usually good for a top 10.

Still with no strategy's other than stay on track it's just not as fun as it could have been. Probably run a few more races in the Huracán and may even set a lap time to see what I can really do but yeah not feeling excited for this weeks racing.

Enjoying Race C. Have set a decent enough lap time for my standards so have been able to milk the race for top 10 finishes and get my DR boosted.

Also picked up a very rare win! My 9th in 531 races... Started that race in 4th and jumped into the lead at the final chicane on the first lap after P3 absolutely slaughters the leading two. They were incredibly apologetic afterwards. Regardless, I'll take the W

Last edited:
Pretty sure you were in a few of my races last week racing from the back at suzuka. I could see you coming through the pack and was more worried about you than the people behind me in 2nd/3rd . You were in the RS01 right?

Yeah I was running the RS01, I tried the GTR which was fast but I felt too rigid for trying to battle from the back. The RS01 was a handful though, found anything more than 4-5 laps on mediums was really risky. Sucks on straights but it’s single lap pace and race pace are great, plus you can place it anywhere you want.

Those were some fun races, few random dirty guys but mostly great racing. Such a difficult track to pass, especially when some will barely leave you a inch lol. Mostly I would look at the lineup at room start “hmmm maybe top 10.... top 5 if lucky” the rooms were pretty stacked this week which was great.

What’s your PSN?

Help I have an MX-5 stuck to my bumper! Get off! Shoo!

I got a podium from this race and a CRB. Go figure. I was steering left as much as possible and off the gas in the hope they'd straighten out but it took them ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back