"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else doubt the sincerity of someone who says "I'm sorry" only after you've called them out for what they did?
tenor.gif

Last week people were all in a hurry to leave after the race. The "congratulations" option might as well be removed, I saw it used once or twice in the whole week :lol:

I find it so disrespectful when racers cannot take the time to congratulate the winners. I guess this is no longer part of modern sportsmanship.

You are on day 15. The game is hard. Don't worry about the DR. Enter races and have fun. Bit by bit your pace will get better. Then your QT times will get better and the races will become more fun as you will start to run in packs with other drivers. The DR will look after itself. Don't force it otherwise the game will become a DR grindfest and that is not why you are playing in the first place.

BTW, nice QT time at the N24 last week. 9:17!!! Celebrate those accomplishments! That is much more impressive than 4128 DR points.
That Day 15 only refers to 15th day that I had done any sport races, I've been on GT Sport for longer than that...

Will they be able to race from home?
It would be cool to see a controller racer win. 👍
Isn't PX7_Lamb a DS4 user?
It is my understanding that they are indeed racing from home, and Daniel Solis is a DS4 user but all competitors must use a Thrustmaster T-GT rig. I recall that one was supplied to each competitor at the 2020 World Final - along with some stuff about webcams - and the same thing likely applies here.
3. Olympic Virtual Series - World Finals

3.1 The Olympic Virtual Series World Finals (‘World Finals’) is one (1) online event during which 16 Finalists selected globally, including the two (2) US-CAN Finalists, (the ‘World Finalists’) shall race to determine the Winner of the World Finals (the ‘Olympic Virtual Series Winner’). All World Finalists will be competing against each other in the same car, track and track conditions for each of the three online races making up the World Finals.

3.2 The World Finals shall take place on 6 June 2021.

3.3 There shall be a maximum of one (1) Entrant per Entrant Country (the ‘Country Cap’), up to a maximum of two (2) Entrants in total from the US-CAN Region who will make up the US-CAN Finalists.

3.4 In the event that a World Finalist is unable to participate in the World Finals, the Entrant with the next highest score in the Global Online Qualification may be invited to become a World Finalist and shall be notified as such by the Organizer, or by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer.

3.5 World Finalists will:
3.5.1 participate in a series of online races in Gran Turismo™ Sport, which will be defined by the Organizer and communicated to the World Finalists via email no later than one (1) week prior to the event by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer
3.5.2 wear clothes provided by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer
3.5.3 display decoration elements which shall be provided by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer
3.5.4 participate in test sessions if requested by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer
3.5.5 participate in the races with driver cameras (provided by Polyphony Digital Inc on behalf of the Organizer) and take part in any other content related activities such as video chat interview sessions if requested by Polyphony Digital Inc, on behalf of the Organizer
3.5.6 refrain from communicating about the online races without explicit consent from Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer, including, but not limited to: streaming the races, distributing results, etc.
3.5.7 follow guidelines provided by Polyphony Digital Inc. on behalf of the Organizer regarding car liveries, driver liveries, car colour selection and other race related settings
3.5.8 use a Thrustmaster T-GT steering wheel and pedal set

That Day 15 only refers to 15th day that I had done any sport races, I've been on GT Sport for longer than that...

True but racing against AI and racing against people are two very different things. For a game that's focused on online competition, the GT Sport offline mode doesn't prepare you very well for online play. Even the Circuit Experience and Mission Challenges have very low thresholds for medaling.

It is my understanding that they are indeed racing from home, and Daniel Solis is a DS4 user but all competitors must use a Thrustmaster T-GT rig. I recall that one was supplied to each competitor at the 2020 World Final - along with some stuff about webcams - and the same thing likely applies here.
Well, that sucks. But I understand them wanting to keep the playing field level.
Hey, I just thought of a way they can cheat. What if one of the drivers has a friend/teammate who is just better at one of the combos, and gets that other person to do one of the races for them? Will they have to have a live webcam, showing themselves doing the races?

Last edited:
Well, that sucks. But I understand them wanting to keep the playing field level.
Hey, I just thought of a way they can cheat. What if one of the drivers has a friend/teammate who is just better at one of the combos, and gets that other person to do one of the races for them? Will they have to have a live webcam, showing themselves doing the races?

I think the Formula E online race debacle has made every organizer put multiple safeguards in place for these situations.

Question: I know the competition rules state finalist have to use a T-GT rig but is it fair if a particular finalist is not familiar with using a wheel, to require them to use one? Doesn't it actually set them back?

I know one shouldn't enter a contest if one cannot follow all the rules, just wondering if the rules for this is fair. Under normal Olympic rules equipment are under governing guidelines but specific equipment is not dictated.

Question: I know the competition rules state finalist have to use a T-GT rig but is it fair if a particular finalist is not familiar with using a wheel, to require them to use one? Doesn't it actually set them back?

I know one shouldn't enter a contest if one cannot follow all the rules, just wondering if the rules for this is fair. Under normal Olympic rules equipment are under governing guidelines but specific equipment is not dictated.
The finalist mentioned above PX7_Lamb dealt with that in one of the earlier series.

He adapted quickly. If anything it shows that if someone has the talent they can remain the quickest in a country regardless of controller.

Well spotted. ;) :cheers:
Congratulations and I am going to watch. And all of the old guys this thread will take credit... taught him everything he knows... knew him since kindergarten. Seriously, well done!

That's not a press release, it's my article. Unlike some outlets, I don't just copy-paste press releases; that's all original content, as is everything written on the GTP news pages.

Respect! I am not in the media business and did not distinguish between a press release or an original article.

I find it so disrespectful when racers cannot take the time to congratulate the winners. I guess this is no longer part of modern sportsmanship.

I don't race much nowadays but lobbies often had a fast guy on pole with a second faster time than everyone else that usually ran away with the win. Many cases a DR reset or new account.

I congratulate those I raced around with (it's not always about finishing podium) if they raced clean but I find it difficult congratulating someone racing opponents below their skill level or someone I never saw during a race. It's a 'disconnected' feeling and I'd rather be sincere than send a congratulatory message I don't exactly mean.

Another thing, I don't know whether the race was won cleanly without watching the replay especially under the current penalty system that's cultivating and catering to the arcade racer. I understand your point but offering a different perspective that maybe others share.

What a complete mixed bag today, some horrendous driving (not all from me).

My favourite on Race B was overtaking 3rd on the final straight of Lap 4, he didn't take too kindly to that. Side swiped me, sending me spinning down the straight.

But did I beat, by less than tenth of a second. So 2 fingers to that delightful driver.

And he scarpered quickly afterwards

My favourite on Race B was overtaking 3rd on the final straight of Lap 4, he didn't take too kindly to that. Side swiped me, sending me spinning down the straight.

But did I beat, by less than tenth of a second. So 2 fingers to that delightful driver.

Just today, same situation. I was P1 and P2 tried to pit m at the finish line. He was clearly catching me in S3 and I was fair. I asked him afterward... "I gave you space, right? Why the pit m?" His response: XD and "gg mate" thing. I watched the replay and, dead on, it was a clear pit m attempt. He casually did it to another driver, successfully, in another race after he blew a corner. And he is very quick. He is on a 9 day old account at 41K DR.

He qualified. It even says so in his sig. A fantastic achievement.

Well deserved!

Congratulations and I am going to watch. And all of the old guys this thread will take credit... taught him everything he knows... knew him since kindergarten. Seriously, well done!

I will try and catch it too. And with no Brit to cheer on I may as well throw my lot behind a GTP'er. Good luck @GT5Power

Thank you all, means a lot! :D :gtpflag:

Last time someone did the exact same thing to me, I uploaded the replay to reddit calling him out. I got a comment on the YT video from the guy apologizing a few days later.

Race B has been interesting. It is Fuji and some like it and some don't. The Atenza is the clear QT car. It is fast out of the corners but it suffers elsewhere in comparison to the VW. The VW has better top speed, better braking and is faster at the start such that a leading Atenza will need to defend and compromise itself at L1/T1. As a result there is a broad spectrum of cars but the FFs (VW and RCZ) represent about half the lineup. I was fairly beaten by a Mustang earlier in the week. The pit maneuver guy that I mentioned earlier is seriously quick and has used a variety of FR/MR cars. If a fast Q1 Atenza racer can break the slip by the end of lap 1 then there is no catching him but it is a tough task.

Setting a fast QT time is key for almost any B race. True here too. Almost all of the races have had action as Fuji has 2.5 great passing points. I have won and lost from pole and have won without pole. It has been mostly clean with good hard fighting with some nudges, notwithstanding pit maneuver guy.

I'd expect that person to be in the minority.

And the daft thing was, he wasnt even penalised for it

The dirty drivers are exploiting the pen system. Hard front to back hits are penalized. Most side by side contact appears to be OK. A pit maneuver derives from side contact. Expect to see dirty players resort to this.

Last edited:

Sadly more often than not, there's nothing to congratulate. Either it's a very fast out of place player starting on pole (or sometimes in the back) finishing 20 seconds ahead of the rest, or it's a dirty win often with red dot attached, leaving straight away while getting called out.

I saw a lot more praise being thrown around between top 5 finishers, the real exciting race endings were for 2nd or 3rd place. The rabbit already long back home. I had a couple of great finishes, once 2 wide through the entire last section of the Nord turning into a sprint for the line. Yet 99% of finishes were all blah. Nowadays very few people can hold it together at the end of the Nord, but I did find a few that could. Worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back