"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
I just gotta say, I just had a splendid Race A just now. A clean Q5/P3, with me barely gaining a position upon finishing; someone in front of me had a half-second penalty. I even got the fastest lap of the race! Seems like I've gained over 450 DR for this one.

Last edited:
I'll be at NGP then, looks like 9 laps with no stop so not my forte but let's see how we go. Wonder which cars will be fast? I tend to go well in the WRX right now and NGP is exit, exit, exit.....annnnnnd exit.

next week details

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
6 Laps 12 Players Car(s): N100 | Specially Provided Car BoP: None Settings: FixedTire: Sports: Medium DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: None Tire Wear: None Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Weak Start: Grid Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Sports: Medium Refueling at 0 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None

Circuit de Sainte-Croix - B II
3 Laps 16 Players Car(s): GR3 | Car from Garage BoP: On Settings: Fixed Tire: Racing: Medium DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: None Tire Wear: None Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Real Start: Rolling Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Racing: Medium Refueling at 0 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None

Nürburgring GP
9 Laps 20 Players Car(s): GR4 | Car from Garage BoP: On Settings: Fixed Tire: Racing: Hard DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: x2 Tire Wear: x3 Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Real Start: Rolling Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Racing: Hard Refueling at 7 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None

Last edited:
next week details

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
6 Laps 12 Players Car(s): N100 | Specially Provided Car BoP: None Settings: FixedTire: Sports: Medium DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: None Tire Wear: None Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Weak Start: Grid Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Sports: Medium Refueling at 0 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None

3 Laps 16 Players Car(s): GR3 | Car from Garage BoP: On Settings: Fixed Tire: Racing: Medium DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: None Tire Wear: None Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Real Start: Rolling Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Racing: Medium Refueling at 0 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None

9 Laps 20 Players Car(s): GR4 | Car from Garage BoP: On Settings: Fixed Tire: Racing: Hard DR Limit: None
Conditions
Fuel Cons.: x2 Tire Wear: x3 Damages: None Boost: Off Off-track Slowing: Real SlipStream: Real Start: Rolling Start
Pit Regulation
Mandatory Stop: None Mandatory Tires at Pit Stop: Racing: Hard Refueling at 7 L/s Fuel Tank Limit: None
You forgot the track names for B and C ;)

Anyway, 9 laps, that's not the Nordschleife again :grumpy:
Ahh I see, it's the boring part of N24 :banghead:

@BigSarj I'm getting in the top splits now (A+ rooms) and will probably be racing between 4pm and 6pm EST then again later. I kinda want to avoid the dirtiest time of the day (around 7PM EST) although sometimes it's beneficial when starting last :)

Last edited:
After changing around my strategy and moving my TV forward a bit netted good results this morning. Hopeful my Q will put me right behind the fast boys and in front of the people we try to avoid.
20211014_132212.jpg

I'm glad I'm taking the time to learn GR2 cars and growing more fond of them as they fit my style of driving. Braking earlier, downshifting to use engine braking to coast into the apex really allows the aero to work and get on the throttle early making quite an improvement. My optimum was 30.2, which I didn't fathom possible at my skill level.

I think I'll be doing race B next week. I'm not comfy with GR4 yet. As usual I'll have practice on Sunday. Ugh. Another track to learn....

I completely agree. All it does is help your tires with forward-bite, when going straight.
There's absolutely no reason not to use TCS 1, in every car.
Either people have a misconception about what it does, or they just think that using TCS 0 all the time makes them a badass. :lol:
The choice in custom on-line lobbies is either allowed or prohibited. There is no choice of TC1 or TC2, etc. Almost no car in GT requires TC, therefore there is no TC in my lobbies.

The biggest difference I notice between racing with B/S drivers and A/S on race C is the straight.

Before I got bumped to the top split rooms people were conscious of their fellow driver, choosing to bump draft down the straight rather than killing the other person. (While it is possible to take T1 side by side, it has a success rate of about 5%). Then do the sensible thing, go alongside to T2 and out brake or undercut.

In the top split rooms, T1 is the kill spot. DO NOT let anyone get on your inside. They can't complete the draft pass, usually not even close, but keep their nose on your inside bumper so you end up in the wall. Even if they are behind they will dive to the inside last second, get that nose in and work you into the wall, taking a 0.5 sec shortcut penalty, while you're a stain on the wall.

At first I was wondering why people were going all the way to the left along the pit wall on the straight. After getting murdered a couple times, I now do it too. Sure stick your nose on the outside, back we go to the right before the corner. I lift to leave room, yet so far everyone simply backs off, not taking the risk. I guess it has happened to everyone. Of course then they lose the opportunity to out brake (They can still dive but most are clean on that part, pushing into a wall apparently is not dirty...)

My strategy when behind is to lift a little, time it right and keep drafting so I slingshot alongside after T1, then out brake. Works wonders, inside or outside, just got to nail the brake point :)

It's not just there where A/S never leaves any room, it's all over the track. B/S will leave you space, often much more than a car width, or fall back before the corner if they are still behind before a high speed corner. A/S just keeps the nose there and drives as if you don't exist. But I guess that difference gives them the A rank :lol:

There are a lot of A+ drivers in race C as well. The difference there is, they can out drive me at corner exit and make a clean pass no problem. No need for dirty tactics.

I completely agree. All it does is help your tires with forward-bite, when going straight.
There's absolutely no reason not to use TCS 1, in every car.
Either people have a misconception about what it does, or they just think that using TCS 0 all the time makes them a badass. :lol:
The choice in custom on-line lobbies is either allowed or prohibited. There is no choice of TC1 or TC2, etc. Almost no car in GT requires TC, therefore there is no TC in my lobbies.

Oops, I had to apologize last two races. I need to brake a little earlier in these top split rooms, all A+ and A. I got conditioned to place my braking point a bit further in all the B/S rooms as otherwise you get hit from behind. The fast crowd drives the sharp turns 'properly' brake on time, carry speed, fast out. I never take the position but still screw up their corner by putting a dent in their door :ouch:

Last room was so fast, I wouldn't have started anywhere else but last even if I had qualified :lol: It's still clumsy and a bit dirty otherwise I would just be trailing behind all race, instead still gain about 4 positions. Always someone that doesn't make it through T1, natural selection corner.

And next race I get bumped into the grass in that corner and they just race on, losing 3 spots :banghead: Sportmanship is a oneway street lol. A couple people went mental first lap anyway, big murder scene, rocket into the corner which somehow ended in the rocket losing all momentum on collision and then keep going :confused: The troublemakers quit later, but that way I suddenly got a whole bunch of spots ahead, hence cars behind me to hit me doh.

Oh well, it's a gamble until you know who you're racing. Game of chance.

Last edited:
Two much better races tonight. No barrier visits, but some aggressive and semi-dirty racing in my second race. You don’t have to read everything of you don’t want to. This turned out way longer than I expected.

Race 1 I start P5. Some mild chaos in turn 1, so I use that opportunity to sneak into P4. Where I chill and cruise around until pit stops. I pit end of lap 5 again and get stuck behind P3 and P4 who were fighting with each other. I can’t get by them, and I don’t want to be a jerk and force a move, so I just wait for my opportunity. In the meantime, P5 makes a great move when I go slower to avoid any contact or potential spins from the two in front of me going into the corner after the uphill braking section. I went exactly wide enough for them to sneak by. Some contact on exit, but still clean. I make a double pass going into turn 1, with some contact from behind as someone gets into the back of me and I shoot forward to contact the car in front of me. Could have been cleaner, but everyone gets going again. I can’t catch P3, so I keep it steady and finish P4. Good race.

Race 2 I start P6. I gain a spot in the mess that turn 1 makes. I brake way too late in the uphill braking area and lose 2 spots. A driver dive-bombs me in the marshal brake point turn. Get dive-bombed again going into the chicane. I’m in P9 after all that and it’s elbows out the rest of the way. I gain 3 spots back after 2 drivers in front of me visit the barrier, and somebody rage quit up front. End of lap 3, I get dive-bombed in the chicane again and get pushed off and back into P8. I keep my cool but it’s getting ridiculous. I just touch the barrier on the marshal turn and give my position up as I can’t defend. Out of the pits on lap 6 a dive-bomb attempt gets blocked, but they do it again on the uphill brake zone and I nearly spin out. It might have been accidental as they gave the spot back, but 2 more drivers zoom by, and I accidentally squeeze one into the wall as I didn’t know one of them were coming that quick up on me. I then get rammed from behind by the accidental dive-bomber which wasn’t intentional, but still annoying. I’m down in P15 at this point. I find myself in a drag race at one point down the “back” stretch with the other driver slightly ahead of me. They try to force a pass in front of me but didn’t have the clearance on my front bumper. I hold my ground, don’t back off the throttle, and they get sent to the Shadow Realm when they spin. Poor racing on my part, yeah probably. But it was elbows out like I said so whatever happens, happens at this point. Eventually I get into P10 after all pit stops are complete. Lap 11, two drivers take each other out and I take P9, but I was too far behind to take both spots. P8 spins coming out of the chicane on the last lap, and I finish P8.

Some good racing tonight even if things got a bit dicey in race 2. I’ll probably do 2 more tomorrow and hope for the best. Probably no racing for me next week, I don’t like Nürburgring GP, and if the St. Croix configuration backwards is going to be like Race C this week, no thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t like Nürburgring GP
I used to not like it very much either but that last time it was in Race C with Group 3, it was the most fun I've had playing this game. I'm not a fan of Group 4 and I prefer pit strategies being a thing but I'm gonna at least do some qualifying in different cars and see how it feels. I urge you to do the same. You never know.

I also didn't want to have anything to do with Group 3 at St Croix the other week and that was the second most fun week of racing I've had in this game.

Last edited:
Finally got a good lobby in slot two. Slot 1 was another super fast guy among others.

Decided to start on medium and pit after 5 since I'm good at 7 laps on soft. And can go in the 32's on mediums. After a few turns I could tell slot 1 was on them too.

Stayed with my strategy even though he went one more lap. Came out in 10th. Then back into second at the end of 6 when the rest pitted. Held a good pace and kept a good 5 second gap on third. P1 one was quick with a lap in the 30's and smoked me but I'm happy this was my most consistent laps in a race. Delta was never more than .4 and I held a good low 32 pace without pushing hard on softs.

Once again I'm so glad I started strictly practicing in a lobby. It made a world of difference so far.

I used to not like it very much either but that last time it was in Race C with Group 3, it was the most fun I've had playing this game. I'm not a fan of Group 4 and I prefer pit strategies being a thing but I'm gonna at least do some qualifying in different cars and see how it feels. I urge you to do the same. You never know.

I also didn't want to have anything to do with Group 3 at St Croix the other week and that was the second most fun week of racing I've had in this game.
I think St Croix is going to be good. Or at least I hope. I wonder what the meta is going to be.

Abysmal session tonight. Can't consistently stay within the 1:34s in qualy and getting punted to the back in racing.

I think I'll get in some big sessions tomorrow and saturday to get really consistent and start using TC2 in racing. Should help.

I was doing race B today in 3rd pos and close to 1&2 approaching the right hander before the chicanes. The leader hit the brakes excessively, on purpose and pos 2 punted him. I went flying past cleanly into 1st and as i was in the tiny straight section between the kinks the original leader flew directly into the right hander at the begining of the main straight. No penalty and now 2 secs in front of me WTF. The guy that hit him commented after the race "that was a good idea"

If no cars need it then why ban it? Surely people using it are at a disadvantage if your right.
Because it adds to driver skill. TC does have an advantage when using standing starts, especially in short sprint races. I race with a group that allows it and I don't use it, so I am well aware of its temporary advantage. Disallowing it makes all drivers equal, in this sense.

The same can be applied to other aspects of racing sims, such as tuning and modifications, fuel and tire consumption. If you like that kind of environment, please join my lobbies. If not, there are lots of other choices.

Did 1 Race A this morning. Started/finished 4th. Good grid. Good race.

Very lucky with DR this week. I'm not doing anything different. It's just working out. :D

See, this I don't get. I no longer use TCS myself but why would I exclude someone who does. It's only affecting the driver not the others in the lobby.
Disallowed is somewhat elitism in my world. I am not going to dictate how others play as long as it doesn't affect me

Last edited:
See, this I don't get. I no longer use TCS myself but why would I exclude someone who does. It's only affecting the driver not the others in the lobby.
Disallowed is somewhat elitism in my world. I am not going to dictate how others play as long as it doest affect me
PD should exclude no TCS for drivers that keep fishtailing out of corners, sometimes crashing me into the wall... I don't know if it's an ego thing, but some people need to either turn TCS on or go practice before entering the track. They are there every race and it often leads to incidents. Corner exit is not a zig zag line :lol:

PD should exclude no TCS for drivers that keep fishtailing out of corners, sometimes crashing me into the wall... I don't know if it's an ego thing, but some people need to either turn TCS on or go practice before entering the track. They are there every race and it often leads to incidents. Corner exit is not a zig zag line :lol:
Nah it's fine, the occasion bump is made up for with all the people I pass because of this. This is why mine is on and always will be.....well maybe one day I'll buy a wheel and then try without it, but with controller no chance.

Disallowed is somewhat elitism in my world. I am not going to dictate how others play as long as it doest affect me
We've had a few DRWF Bonus races without ABS. Not much point to those either.

Unless someone forgets to switch it back. Then it's worth it. :lol:

Back