Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
On the subject of controls, this game continues to mystify.

I can’t recall exactly when it occurred, maybe the last week or two, but now my T300 has no FFB strength and the paddle shifters don’t work.

Basically the steering has turned into a limp noodle with little/no steering response or FFB. No problems in any other games.

I’m assuming it’s something I’m missing, but I don’t recall ever changing the control settings.

I really like this game, and it’s great when the steering controls work, but the wheel settings have been kind of a mess and unclear since launch.

Can a T300 member confirm if the issues are mine or the devs?

Can a T300 member confirm if the issues are mine or the devs?
Blame the updates. BigMoon is so afraid of messing the game up with the updates that they make this HUGE packs... and sometimes some stuff old file sneaks in somehow because a guy was toying with it and forgot to turn it back to the new one. For real, I've read that about other games a lot, some devs are very paranoid while others like to "play around" way too much (game devs aren't exactly "productive" when compared to other businesses).

I'd suggest you to play with the whole "devices" thing and see if any combination ends up working.

BigMoon is so afraid of messing the game up with the updates that they make this HUGE packs

The reason why the updates are huge is because of the size of their maps and the UE4 engine. They have explained that a small bugfix in a map, will make a large download since the map or part of the map needs complete replacement. Next to that, it is an issue that comes with the UE4 engine which doesn't allow a certain way of patching.

@cjr3559 There is also a discussion on their discord group on the T300, maybe you can find some extra info in there 👍

------

I really like the navigation and even on a bike it is a lot of fun. Currently running the online championship with a quad which is rather an entertaining experience. There are huge differences in handling depending on the cameraview used :odd: With bikes it is barely noticable and they go rather quick in the dunes 👍

Dakar 18_20181123135835.png
Dakar 18_20181124122403.png
Dakar 18_20181124123350.png

Blame the updates. BigMoon is so afraid of messing the game up with the updates that they make this HUGE packs... and sometimes some stuff old file sneaks in somehow because a guy was toying with it and forgot to turn it back to the new one. For real, I've read that about other games a lot, some devs are very paranoid while others like to "play around" way too much (game devs aren't exactly "productive" when compared to other businesses).

I'd suggest you to play with the whole "devices" thing and see if any combination ends up working.

I got everything back to running properly again. It was a moderate process but they need to do something with the button bindings screen. On PS4 ‘X’ and ‘Square’ are the paddle shifters by default, not ‘R1’ and ‘L1’ as they’re universally known. I rewatched a video by @Scaff which reminded me of this. The wheel controls are a pain and not exactly ‘set it and forget it’.

As far as the FFB, I just jacked up the strength to near maximum and the feeling I was accustomed to is back.

Speaking of huge updates, how big is the game's install size now on PS4?

Confirming that H-pattern + Clutch works on PS4. 👍 At least the TH8A, not sure about G29. Shifter must be plugged directly into the console, not the wheel. :cool:

Maybe this will help straighten out the sequential shifting confusion as well...

@cjr3559 I assume you know this is also available in the game itself where you see the roadboak just before the stage starts? The APP also has all this info available for use 👍

New patch launches :

No reason anymore to not try this game! Did I already mentioned that it is awesome? No? Ok, it truly is and I wish all those offroad enthousiast here at GTP gave it a shot. Some more sand under the Christmas tree won't do any harm ;) :cheers:

Last edited:
New patch launches :

No reason anymore to not try this game! Did I already mentioned that it is awesome? No? Ok, it truly is and I wish all those offroad enthousiast here at GTP gave it a shot :cheers:

Dakar Series is coming! I assume eventually we will have a full championship. 1st DLC of the Dakar Series will be Desafío Ruta 40. I wonder if we'll get the Desafío Inca too in Dakar 18.

Dakar Series is coming! I assume eventually we will have a full championship. 1st DLC of the Dakar Series will be Desafío Ruta 40. I wonder if we'll get the Desafío Inca too in Dakar 18.
That would be great! The dev said between no and end of january they plan 6 updates with the first being released today.

Straight from dev:

Yes. Christmas is arriving... And we will deliver '6 gifts' from today to Dakar Rally (mid-January 2019).
We are about to provide today the 1st.
We will not deliver everything in same time smiley

@Pfei Inca will indeed be included ;)

Last edited:
I’m going to say it again, but this is one of the most intense driving games I’ve ever played.

Working on the first few stages of Bolivia on ‘Competitor’ level and the feeling of pure exhaustion is like no other. Head to head racing online usually gives me a stress headache, but Dakar is different and in a better way. The epic length of stages, the constant focus of driving off-road in the rain and dark making sure you don’t miss a waypoint, the fear and hopelessness of getting lost, not destroying the vehicle, all the while trying to keep up a competitive pace is overwhelming.

It’s totally mental. 👍 👍 👍

@cjr3559 I completely agree with you. Bolivia is a real highlight and very daunting. It asks a lot of the player. Also the dune stages in the first part of the game are brutal since there isn't really any reference and it simply makes you slow down, think, read and continue. It is not a game to blast through but it takes patience. There are so many points to take into consideration that getting to the finish is a whole micromanagement process.

@Pfei @cjr3559 @Scaff Are you guys willing to share your wheel settings in PS4? I noticed that when I turn down the FF in the menu, the cars get really difficult to drive. 50% default is working correctly but I prefer to have less FF and I put it on 25% this made the cars completely lacking in the steering. You turn, counterturn and simply nothing happens. Would like to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
@doblocruiser

Here are my settings on the T300:

Steering sensitivity 100
Steering linearity -1
Throttle dead zone 0
Throttle saturation 100
Brake dead zone 0
Brake saturation 100
Feedback strength 65

All of the ‘career’ settings are default. Honestly the only wheel setting I changed was feedback strength. It seems to give a good amount of weight without being an arm wrestling match. I had some issues with losing all the FFB strength a few weeks ago but it seems to be working.

Another thing about this game that I find amazing and difficult at the same time is when going off track in the dark. Oh man does driving through vegetation induce stress..

@doblocruiser

Here are my settings on the T300:

Steering sensitivity 100
Steering linearity -1
Throttle dead zone 0
Throttle saturation 100
Brake dead zone 0
Brake saturation 100
Feedback strength 65

All of the ‘career’ settings are default. Honestly the only wheel setting I changed was feedback strength. It seems to give a good amount of weight without being an arm wrestling match. I had some issues with losing all the FFB strength a few weeks ago but it seems to be working.

Another thing about this game that I find amazing and difficult at the same time is when going off track in the dark. Oh man does driving through vegetation induce stress..

50% ff already gives me musclecramps and it moves my desk . I'll fiddle around with the sensitivity. I thought it was only of influence when using the gamepad. Thanks :cheers:

The stress is there and it is probably the only racer that makes me sweat :lol:

The 1.10 update looks great, really excited about it. I am happy BM has listened to the fans and are making continued improvements.

Most looking forward to the new Ruta 40 event and removing the driver hands and/or entire wheel in cockpit mode (all games should have this by default).

One thing I didn’t really grasp before this update announcement was the ability to ‘paint’ the roadbook. Occasionally I would notice the tulip coloration but didn’t understand what or why. Still don’t know how, when, where exactly it gets painted.?

I wanted to share my recent experiences in this game too; after initially beating the game quite handily with Rookie difficulty using a truck I then started another season with a car on Competitor. Well basically it was revenge of the AI and I wound getting trounced until I withdrew in Bolivia with irreperable damage. Figured that would be the end of my rally IRL so restarting wasn't an option. :)

Now I’ve decided to retry the trucks on Competitor difficulty and it seems well, more competitively balanced (for me, at least). And finally driving a truck with the H-shifter with clutch is great.

I think I wasn’t quite ready for the cars yet. While it’s easy to drive fast, it’s not so easy driving fast and watching where you’re going and the roadbook simultaneously. I found myself driving below pace just to keep from getting lost.

Challenging indeed!

This is one game I wish there was a demo/trial - I can't bring myself to buy unless I'm sure of it's quality - graphics/FFB/physics/etc.. Granted, all I use to play was racing sims but I've grown tired of the genre.

This is one game I wish there was a demo/trial - I can't bring myself to buy unless I'm sure of it's quality - graphics/FFB/physics/etc.. Granted, all I use to play was racing sims but I've grown tired of the genre.
This is not the game for you if you are looking for great physics and ffb. In my opinion it's a navigation simulator and it does it really well. It's a completely unique experience. You can get a Steam refund if you have less than 2 hours play time on any game. So you can effectively try the game and refund it if you don't like it.

@FuzzyFassbender

The truck and car physics in cockpit mode using a T300 are good. I feel like I should be driving a truck. Can’t say anything about bikes, quads, and SxS, but the word on the street is the bikes and quads are a little off.

The FFB is informative. I wouldn’t call it stunning, but you get decent ground effects. Oversteer and understeer are acceptable.

Graphics are fine. Frame rate skips from time to time but it seems to generally be locked. Some views are stunning and the weather effects are excellent.

Last edited:
I have just been expelled from the Dakar for "inappropriate behaviour". Obviously I'm very sorry to Mr Kariakin for driving over his legs (totally accidental) but the way the message is written just made me laugh.

Off topic: The Dakar 2019 entry list is up https://www.dakar.com/en/competitors looks like it should be an exciting race in most classes, I'm more interested in SxS than usual since so many of the favourites in the quad category have moved over.

Damn, this seems to be a good rally game but will it get a DLC in the future? That would be something nice to see.

Damn, this seems to be a good rally game but will it get a DLC in the future? That would be something nice to see.

It will get a couple of dlc's in the near future. Ruta, Inca Séries, spanish and French codriver voices and a few others surprises ;) Bear in mind that DLC will all be free for a limited Time.

Back