Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by er185es, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

This would be really cool if you can just cruise around the world with some friends. What was stated for multiplayer? Will ruin my time just to dick around the desert.

2. er185es

er185es

3. warp9engage

warp9engage

I love how your feet also leave tracks on the sand, accurate and cool.

4. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

MeanElf, Miths, ron24 and 3 others like this.
  5. er185es

er185es

MeanElf and PzR Slim like this.
  6. er185es

er185es

MeanElf and Miths like this.
  7. Silver-Sylph

Silver-Sylph

Why does it look like the cars are extremely heavy, like they barely get any airtime.

Pfei likes this.
  8. Pfei

Pfei Premium

To be honest, I am starting to get really worried about this game. I know they were promising a lot, and they have delivered on their promises up to now (official teams/vehicles/drivers, open world, getting out of the car, detailed roadbook, gameplay videos in March...) but they have been screaming sim sim sim on their Facebook page and, seriously, this is not looking good on the physics end of things.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt because they say they are still working on it but from what I have seen so far it seems to me the pickup in Farming Simulator 17 has better physics than Dakar 18. The vehicle movements look extremely unnatural, snappy, instantaneous... Very little interaction with the terrain... And we are only three or four months from the release window.

Given everything they are trying to stick into this game I would be fine with Gravel-level physics. I was never expecting SLRE or DR physics despite their insistence that Dakar 18 will be a sim, but this is really starting to get unsettling. It seems the cars just float over the sand and the wheel movements and turning are very jerky.

Anyone else feel the way I do?

9. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

What chance have games got these days...

10. JC_Dude

JC_Dude

Why does everything have to be a sim these days? Maybe they want to make a fun game instead?

Snake55wildcat and FT-1 like this.
  11. Pfei

Pfei Premium

I am not saying it has to be a sim. The devs are saying it's going to be a sim. Sim or simcade or arcade is irrelevant after seeing all these videos. The car movements and their interaction with the terrain look terrible. Even games like Burnout still have believable car movements in spite of the over-the-top arcade action. If there is no risk of getting stuck in the sand, flipping because of sinking in the sand, losing control at high speed due to ruts and bumps, and having the terrain be a major obstacle then it doesn't matter what kind of physics it has. The videos look like it's mash the gas and go. If they don't improve the vehicle dynamics then they might as well call this Dakar 18 Navigation Challenge as they will have taken away 50% of the challenge of the Dakar.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    lancia delta hf, torque99 and Wolfe like this.
  12. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

They're not supposed to have hard impacts since that would damage the car. Most of the time, they can't go fast enough to get much air anyway.

die996 likes this.
  13. er185es

er185es

torque99 likes this.
  14. torque99

torque99

Some of the graphics and landscapes looks amazing others are quite patchy in detail. Lets hope before release they sharpen it all up. I hope there will be a demo/beta for this to try it out as @Pfei says it is hard to judge yet but something doesn't quite look right with the videos so far.

Pfei likes this.
  15. er185es

er185es

16. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

I dunno about the turn at 0:10, but 0:20-0:25 is the most sim-looking vehicle motion yet.

Overall it looks like the game may be coming together at least as well as a Milestone game, which beats my initial cynical expectations.

17. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

Rage Racer and torque99 like this.
  18. Robin

Robin Premium

Graphics still don't look anything like those first "screenshots". It looks fun but worryingly unpolished. It's not finished I know but so many games have come out in the end with graphics and physics that look exactly like what they did in the very first teaser video!

lancia delta hf and torque99 like this.
  19. Agree, I just hope its fun and doesn't have borked physics.

Andyc709292 and Pfei like this.
  20. er185es

er185es

MeanElf and torque99 like this.
  21. Theiceman1

Theiceman1

Does Mileatone still have the WRC licsense..?

22. Pfei

Pfei Premium

Bigben had it. Might still have it. All we know is Kylotonn is not doing WRC this year. Could be Codemasters, could be Milestone, could be SMS, even Naughty Dog. :lol:

Theiceman1 and torque99 like this.
  23. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

There was a time when the WRC cars were locked away behind the official licence but since The Crew has a C3 WRC hopefully those dark days are over. A game like Dirt Rally with the current WRC cars would be epic. Unless that all means Ubisoft have bought the exclusive rights to WRC games (in which all the cars are hovercrafts and pace notes are a paid DLC).

Back on topic I'm still excited by the Dakar game, it's a fun concept and I really hope they can pull it off.

Andyc709292 and Pfei like this.
  24. er185es

er185es

25. Andyc709292

Andyc709292

Is there some weird movement going on with the 301 Toyota at the tail end of that clip? Something didn't look right and I replayed it a few times to see. Not sure if it's a an OK movement thanks to sand or crabbing as car position catches up with physics...

26. Siren

Siren

Yall are acting like the game is coming out tomorrow. they're just showing you guys work in progress. Does anyone know what that phrase means anymore?

die996 and lancia delta hf like this.
  27. er185es

er185es

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  28. er185es

er185es

29. JC_Dude

JC_Dude

I was starting to worry about the lack of news. Glad to see a release date. Now let's hope the game is good.

30. Auditore

Auditore

Another one for September,Jesus Christ.

Wolfe likes this.