Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by er185es, Nov 17, 2017.

1. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

I was already excited by this game but the gameplay video is better than I expected. Even if it was rubbish it has Kamaz trucks, no other games do.

2. sidewinder26

sidewinder26

Love the open world/navigation innovations. I'm excited. Car behavior however looks a bit strange at the moment. Surely, with only a month and a half before release, their physics/handling model is final so the driving may not be its strongest point. We'll see.

Wolfe likes this.
  3. er185es

er185es

4. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Really looking forward to this. Yes it's not the best looking game, the handling probably wont be top tier and may be a little rough around the edges but I love what they are doing with the navigation and open world nature.

5. cjr3559

cjr3559 Premium

6. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

cjr3559 likes this.
  7. die996

die996

8. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

9. davidt33

davidt33

Pfei likes this.
  10. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

Clearest insight yet into how the game is turning out. I wish them the best but I think I'll pass, at least at launch. I get the sense that it needs more time, if they can pull it together.

bluemoon_19 likes this.
  11. cjr3559

cjr3559 Premium

Had a feeling the physics and handling might need some work. Same goes for the co-pilot calls, hopefully he won’t be too much of a downer because the navigation aspect of this game seems really challenging. Either way I still pick it up at launch.

12. die996

die996

You can always turn the co-driver off... if you dare.

13. er185es

er185es

Start at 0:52

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    TheRacer94, Pfei and davidt33 like this.
  14. davidt33

davidt33

Anyone knows if it would be compatible with Logitech G29 wheels?

Edit: What the.....???? This game is not in the Playstation Store yet for pre-order? Just went to check and search provided no results. What's up with that?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. Pfei

Pfei Premium

Support of all major wheels has been promised but no official list has been revealed yet.

Regarding the pre order on console, they are still "waiting for confirmation" according to the official FB page.

davidt33 likes this.
  16. davidt33

davidt33

Thanks Pfei.

Pfei likes this.
  17. HuskyGT

HuskyGT

Okay, I love the concept of this game. But in the gameplay video, it seems rough.

First, the physics. No need to actually feel the game to tell they need some work.

Graphics are not terrible, but they do seem unpolished.

And sounds are off. I'm sure the Mini Countryman Raid uses either a 4-cylinder Diesel, or an Inline-6 also Diesel. Not a V8.

Also, the freedom to explore seems questionable.

GTPVenomZombie likes this.
  18. er185es

er185es

19. cjr3559

cjr3559 Premium

Great tutorial, I am really looking forward to this, though I said that a half dozen times already. :)

I think I’ll start with a bike or a quad (just kidding). Unless you follow the leaders I can’t see how you could find the waypoints without the road book.

die996 likes this.
  20. er185es

er185es

PzR Slim and davidt33 like this.
  21. user3392345

user3392345 (Banned)

Looks like pure arcade trash. Totally unrealistic car movement and behavior.
    Waste of programming time and money.
    Disappointed :tdown:

22. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

I wish the player in that latest video could drive. :lol: Looks alright but hard to tell. Need more gameplay videos.

I know the Dakar goes through a lot of desert but I'd hope there's some good variation going on. The road in that clip looked kinda boring.

23. davidt33

davidt33

To be fair, that road was kind of slippery.

24. die996

die996

I have seen people complaining that "the game is boring". I guess not many people understand how the Dakar Rally works so here are the first two hours of the 9th stage of the 2016 Dakar Rally. The Dakar Rally is not supercross or Motorstorm, it is a lot more mental, it is about completing the route without destroying your vehicle or getting lost too often. The driving physics could be a lot better but, at least, they got the spirit basically 100% right.

PzR Slim and Pfei like this.
  25. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

It's a bit different I think though doing that as a driver and doing that on your couch. I think there's a reason that there are hardly any Dakar games and I don't believe it will make for a compelling or entertaining game experience. For it to work it had to be an absolutely hardcore simulation because that is the only crowd who will sit down for God know how long to complete it so I think as much as the casual won't enjoy it, the sim crowd won't either. I could be wrong and the videos could be deceiving and it could be hardcore AF but it doesn't look it and so far the 8-9 minute video I watched of a stage looked really dull.

Quattro20v likes this.
  26. er185es

er185es

27. davidt33

davidt33

That one looked interesting.
    First time seeing the slider pointer above the two tabs on top. Don't know if I missed it before but a useful additional navigation tool IMO.

28. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

What I really meant was the road was seemingly smooth. But I think that's probably more an issue in how off-roading is modeled. So many games make it look so floaty.

29. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Does anybody know when the game releases? Amazon seem to have pushed it back to the end of the year but none of the official feeds have mentioned anything.

A delay wouldn't surprise me given the lack of bike gameplay and a release to coincide with the 2019 rally would make a lot of sense.

30. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Supposedly September 11th. At least that's what we were told.