Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
Screenshot_20180829-165613.png

I don’t even see it on the Amazon US website. I’ve got it preordered through Gamestop but would rather use Amazon. Oh well.

My gut feeling was a delay was coming and it looks like they missed the Sep 11 date. I guess that’s a small delay.

That one looked interesting.
First time seeing the slider pointer above the two tabs on top. Don't know if I missed it before but a useful additional navigation tool IMO.
That is just for noobs that can't follow a roadbook. That's like playing GT Sports with auto-braking, LoL.

Great, released right before I leave town. :indiff: October 8th here I come! Unless...Game Stop has my order ready on the 25th.

Really fixated on Dakar 18 competing with SpiderMan I guess. SpiderMan is nowhere even close to my radar. Not even in the same solar system.

Well spiderman is in my radar that's why i made that first comment,i guess the audiences for both games don't overlap that much but i still think it was a risky move releasing it so close to a bigger game.

I have the game since saturday and I've played around 8 hours (professional mode). The game doesn't have the launchday patch since this will be on the 25th only. It means that FOV in cockpit is to narrow and that there is currently no wheelsupport. As said both issues should be fixed in launchday patch + fixed vehicle performance, missing content and several glitches.

Dakar 18_20180923104631.png

What can I say about those first 8 hours:
  • Passion for Dakar shows
  • Difficult game!
  • World is stunning, huge and empty
  • Varied stages and landscapes
  • Good tutorial
  • Codriver can be annoying and is only in English! Subs for several languages can be activated
  • You feel like a tiny "driver"
  • A game which focusses on navigation, taking care of the car.
  • Driving needs to be done smartly
  • Find your way around obstacles
  • Repairing your car during stages and in paddock
  • Impressive vistas
  • Long stages
  • Getting lost is easy
  • Can load your last waypoint which comes with a penalty
  • Save is at every waypoint (5 to 10 min depending stage)
  • Loading is a bit long but once stage is loaded, no loading screens anymore
  • 30 FPS
  • Overal stable framerate
  • Physics tend to be on simulationside but I had a few brake, snap lose control moments with controller (hopefully this will be fixed)
  • Graphics are well done and carmodels are decent
The developer said the game will recieve support in the months to come with improvements, new features and maybe some free DLC (it's what they intend).

Things I am missing:
  • Photomode / Freecam
  • Toggle hud on/off
  • FOV cockpit (comes day 1 patch)
  • Wheel support (comes day 1 patch)

For an "Indie" developper I can only say that I am very impressed by the game and that it absolutely nails the Dakar feeling. I can only recommend 👍

Dakar 18_20180923151747.png
Dakar 18_20180923154356.png
Dakar 18_20180923185045.png
Dakar 18_20180923184941.png

Screenshots are from a base PS4

Last edited:
Does it cycle time, day to night, i always hate that cause it seems to stay night time longer on games that do it, I remember fuel, stopped playing because of that.

It cycles but it seems to depend on the starting time on the stages. Haven't encountered a night stage yet (5 stages done). Haven't re-done a stage since it takes a long time to complete just one ;)

It cycles but it seems to depend on the starting time on the stages. Haven't encountered a night stage yet (5 stages done). Haven't re-done a stage since it takes a long time to complete just one ;)
Stages in the real rally start at early morning for the first bikes and later for other categories with trucks going last, I think all of the competitors finish before nighttime unless they're one of the amateurs or having a particularly bad day.

Your screenshots look great, the graphics are much better than I expected. Have you tried any of the bikes? The gameplay videos I've seen don't look great (hopefully the videos are misleading or they're updated on day 1).

Edit: Nevermind, I've found the day 1 patch list and bikes will be changed:

Last edited:
Downloading now. Will try tonight. @cjr3559 doesn't the patch come included in the download? Or do you have a physical copy?

Physical copy, it says version 1.00.

Not a big deal, it would have been nice to have played it today since I’m going out of town, but I’ll have to wait for a couple weeks to try it. I tried the tutorial with the controller and it seems very promising.

EDIT:

Just read a post from the developer that the patch to include wheel support will be up in a couple days.

Last edited:
Physical copy, it says version 1.00.

Not a big deal, it would have been nice to have played it today since I’m going out of town, but I’ll have to wait for a couple weeks to try it. I tried the tutorial with the controller and it seems very promising.

EDIT:

Just read a post from the developer that the patch to include wheel support will be up in a couple days.

I can confirm that the digital version is also unpatched.

This game is pure crap. It already was looking poor in the videos, now the steam reviews confirm the poor physics. Not even proper wheel support. Dont waste your money!

This game is pure crap. It already was looking poor in the videos, now the steam reviews confirm the poor physics. Not even proper wheel support. Dont waste your money!

It isn't and there are many postive feedbacks also. The game is not the average or standard racer and it needs a completely different approach. The physics aren't up to the level yet and that is mainly due to the official patch that is still in certification by Sony and Microsoft. Wheel support comes with the patch and as @GOTMAXPOWER posted, you can see what will be addressed in the patch.

I played the game with controller, without a patch and I only have some issues with the snap, lose control of the rearwheeldrive car (haven't tried another class since it makes you start a new career). Reducing sensitivy of controller in the settings helps a bit and doesn't cure the problem. I have progressed to stage 9 only with a controller and the game has been an absolute blast to play.

The only people that say Dakar18 is "pure ****" is the ADHD crowd that wanted some Motorstorm-style ********. This game's target audience is the fans of the real race, the ones that want to find the way in the middle of nowhere. If you like the Dakar Rally, you are going to love Dakar18. We have needed like 40 years but the Dakar Rally finally has a virtual counterpart!

Back