Damage system

  • Thread starter Thread starter JOHN WAYNE
  • 68 comments
  • 2,897 views
Roof landing. End of the race. See ya.
 
amar212
Roof landing. End of the race. See ya.

it'd be even cooler if you stayed there and watched all the other cars fly past upside down and if one them nudges you'd spin around...
 
amar212, you have played the bmw demo before. What happens when you crash, or bump into a wall hard enough for the blurring effect to occur... are you still able to control the car and continue accelerating?
 
code_kev
I bet you, if Gt4 had forza style damage, you would all go nuts.

"Ohhh I don't like damage, coz it makes my pwetty car all howwible"

Stop being such a big girls blouse.

Ok imagine this (I'm going into the realms of John now lol). Your driving along, 2 cars in front of you fighting for 1st and 2nd place (this would take good AI), suddenly one of em loses control, it slams in to the car next to it, and knocks it in to the wall, causing it to roll over, parts flying off. Now wouldn't it be just ABIT cool, if all the bits getting ripped off hit your car, causing dents, broken glass etc, causing damage depending on exactly where it hit, and you actually had to dodge the wreckage at high speeds, because you know, one tap and it's race over. Gt will allways feel tame and safe, as long as the cars are stuck to the ground (tip limit....), have no damage, and rubbish AI. Plus that would also open the way for a banger racing mode ;). if you can tell me that damage would add NOTHING to Gt, then you obviously enjoy watered down safe racing.

yes, I'd want to slam it in to a wall, again and again, until it EXPLODES. Then shoot it. It's a game John, so treat and talk about it as one.

I have an XBOX and I plan on renting Forza, so I'm certainly not biased. I just hate having useless damage that wrecks the appearance of my car, and does nothing else. I hate it in Need For Speed, I hate it in PGR2. Basically any game with pure cosmetic damage modelling should have the option to turn damage off.

In games like Burnout and Carmageddon, it's awesome though, but crashes are what those games are for.

P.S: I would HATE it if I lost a game because of a crash. That would add NOTHING positive to the game IMO. Imagine you'd done 85 of 90 laps in an endurance race and you flip and that's it. GAME OVER! I'd probably toss my PS2 out the window.
 
IMO if their was damage in the game and you wrecked bad enough you should be able to die in the wreck and your game save would be deleted and the PS2 reset. If we want realistic crash effects then the driver's life should have some bearing on turning a car into a crushed coke can. I'd love to see this and realistic damage in GT4 but i'm not holding my breath, maybe in GT5 but if it isnt then their's no excuse for not having it then.

I find that to be the most realistic way to have damage in a game. Kill yourself in the game and you loose everything just like in real life. :lol: wouldnt that just suck if you were at 99.9% completion and you had just one easy race to do at laguna seca, then on the last lap going into the corkscrew there is a car stalled at the top of the hill, you hit him head on at 125 mph fly into the wall head on then land on your roof and you die. Game Over, game save deleted and game reset Bwahaha that would be great.
 
3rdgenracerX
IMO if their was damage in the game and you wrecked bad enough you should be able to die in the wreck and your game save would be deleted and the PS2 reset. If we want realistic crash effects then the driver's life should have some bearing on turning a car into a crushed coke can. I'd love to see this and realistic damage in GT4 but i'm not holding my breath, maybe in GT5 but if it isnt then their's no excuse for not having it then.

I find that to be the most realistic way to have damage in a game. Kill yourself in the game and you loose everything just like in real life. :lol: wouldnt that just suck if you were at 99.9% completion and you had just one easy race to do at laguna seca, then on the last lap going into the corkscrew there is a car stalled at the top of the hill, you hit him head on at 125 mph fly into the wall head on then land on your roof and you die. Game Over, game save deleted and game reset Bwahaha that would be great.

:dopey: u know that idea is sick dont u :dopey:

my advice for u dont play so much gta :sly:
 
Damage and GT don't mix, plain and simple. KY knows this, it is too complex to do it for 600+ cars and would thus make the game HUGE! That's just my $.02. 👍 .
 
Yes GT and Damage don't mix. Extremely realistic damage where parts fly off and the chasis twists and bends and ur engine can blow would be especially sweet if you were drifting and you stuffed up and spun of the track straight into a wall. And constant redlining and burnouts would blow your engine thru the roof. that would be nice. But at the moment adding damage to a game that is maxed out with cars would be like trying to fit 2 kg of beans into a 1 kg tin. it ain't gonna happen. not until the resoureces allow for it. Maybe, hopefully when and if sony release a ps3.
 
Hell, damage doesn't matter in Forza anyways. For a crappy-looking game, those cars deserve to be smashed up. Only thing, however, is its gameplay. That remains to be seen in FM.

Ah, Code... Working his "you PS2 players are pathetic, no wonder XBOX ownz" as usual. I think I was talking about damage models in the GTA series since GTA3. The thing about if GT4 adopted crash models from "GTA: Vice City," it would suck pretty bad. You'll get a big ding on your car's body from just going lightly into a wall or a stop sign. Oh, and let's not forget the ability to make your car explode by just simply being on your hood or side. I don't generally think that this would be a very sane choice to base damage modelling on because it means you have to do so little to make it look like crap. The closest competitor to the "Grand Theft Auto" series was True Crime. You're on the other side of the law, and the cars don't crash as easily. Also, you got a nifty diagram as to how much damage you inflict to a car while trying to chase down some punks. When you completely destroyed a car, she go boom. I, of course, know this having been taking down punk jive turkeys in Liberty City and Vice City. You feel me, dawg?

The reason why I talked about the TOCA series is because that's about the only game I played where an ugly car can be made uglier by bashing into walls. Even you all who play "Pro Race Driver" know about beating up your car and giving it the ass kicking of its life. This couldn't be more true if you screw up at Mount Panorama (Bathurst, or course). Canberra, or even the tight streets of Vancouver. Other games have had similar damage physics. So for you veteran video game racers, if the GT series were to model its damage similar to another racing or driving game, what should be the best game to take note from? Remember, it doesn't have to be a racing game. So that's why I mentioned the "Grand Theft Auto" series. So what would be the best model?
 
code_kev
But whats the point of flipping, if you can't watch the bits being ripped off the car. Now, imagine if Gt4 had a replay director mode, with slow mo, and 100% customisable cameras etc...slow mo crashes people, with bits going everywhere :D. The Gt4 tip limit does make a mockery of the "best" car physics in a game.


whats more important damage or good gameplay for the kind of damage your talking about pd would have to design 2 physics calculators because one cant handle the amount of inputs your talking about over such a short time so have your crappy cars being trashed ill have a serve of great game play and realistic handling. and if you think everyone doesnt know what there talking about when they say ky wouldnt do this and that watch the dvd that comes with prolouge 👎

p.s they are by far the greatest use of physics ever in gt4p and youd be suprised to know that the forza damage sim probally has more to do with computer and graphic design than mehanics or physics
 
Good show, nsx_vtec mate. 👍
 
nsx_vtec
whats more important damage or good gameplay for the kind of damage your talking about pd would have to design 2 physics calculators because one cant handle the amount of inputs your talking about over such a short time so have your crappy cars being trashed ill have a serve of great game play and realistic handling. and if you think everyone doesnt know what there talking about when they say ky wouldnt do this and that watch the dvd that comes with prolouge 👎

Yes, but the handling is only realistic if you don't hit anything :dunce:
 
okoj
Yes, but the handling is only realistic if you don't hit anything :dunce:

the idea of racing wasNOT to hit anything last time i checked so handling over damge if i wanna kill and smash ill play gta or hitman

p.s say good night to the bad guy cause your never gonna see a bad guy like this again

greatest movie ever 👍
 
nsx_vtec
the idea of racing wasNOT to hit anything last time i checked so handling over damge if i wanna kill and smash ill play gta or hitman

p.s say good night to the bad guy cause your never gonna see a bad guy like this again

greatest movie ever 👍

So you never ever hit anything? You never brake too late and nudge the car in front or get shunted by the crappy AI?

Well for all of us less than perfect drivers it is an issue
 
Ah, Code... Working his "you PS2 players are pathetic, no wonder XBOX ownz" as usual. I think I was talking about damage models in the GTA series since GTA3. The thing about if GT4 adopted crash models from "GTA: Vice City," it would suck pretty bad.

Ahhh John....Working his normal "I'll jazz up my post to cover up my lack common sense" as usual. When I spoke about damage, I hardly meant GTA style damage you total numpty. EVERYONE else BUT you realised that. A cross between Toca RD2 and Carmagedon 2 is what I meant. GTA damage, hahahahahha clueless. :ouch:

whats more important damage or good gameplay for the kind of damage your talking about pd would have to design 2 physics calculators because one cant handle the amount of inputs your talking about over such a short time so have your crappy cars being trashed ill have a serve of great game play and realistic handling. and if you think everyone doesnt know what there talking about when they say ky wouldnt do this and that watch the dvd that comes with prolouge

So let me get this right, you would rather have the "tip limit", and the "rubber car bouncing off walls", then realistic crashes....OKAAYYYYY.
Plus I never ONCE (and I'm challenging you to quote me) said that I thought car damage was more important then good game play. Your argument is UTTER rubbish, based on you making assumptions on what I want, and why not have BOTH good game play and AMAZING damage? You have this CRAZY idea that you can't have both, infact, it's quite funny, it's as if you feel the need to defend GT4 for obvious short comings

"OHHHH Kaz wouldn't DARE release a game with bad damage, he'd rather have the cars bounce off the walls like rubber! BOING! FAR more realistic, I'm sure you'l agree!"

The dvd that came with prologue is boring.
If you think crashing has NOTHING to do with racing, then you obviously have no clue, what so ever. And it's the old "well the whole idea of racing is not to hit anything argument". Utter fanboy dribble.
"why doesn't half life 2 have a jump button?"
"well sir, if ya wanna jump, go play sonic, the whole idea is to shoot, hur hur hur hur"

rant over.
 
nsx_vtec
the idea of racing wasNOT to hit anything last time i checked so handling over damge if i wanna kill and smash ill play gta or hitman

p.s say good night to the bad guy cause your never gonna see a bad guy like this again

greatest movie ever 👍

Racing is a contact sport, even when the rules say no contact, just look at F1.
Bumps and nudges will always occur and always have an effect.
GTs bumping and nudging has no realistic handling effect what so ever, thus far!
 
I would like to see damge in a future series of Gran Turismo.I dont want visual damage though just like GT2. I would like it to more in depth though like a damaged shock or so, etc.

My 2 cents!
 
GTXLR
Racing is a contact sport, even when the rules say no contact, just look at F1.
Bumps and nudges will always occur and always have an effect.
GTs bumping and nudging has no realistic handling effect what so ever, thus far!

Yeah but that implies racing... GT is not about racing for most people, because the AI are rubbish.
 
a racing game without any damage is like a flight simulator that doesn't let you crash.

"well, you aren't SUPPOSED to crash, thats not the point, so just don't hit the ground and you won't notice!"
 
I have a new system for all you people missing out on Damage. Here goes.

Every time you crash your car in GT4, you must slam your head into your wall. This adds to the realism because every time you smash your head you get a little disoriented and connot drive as well. If you do it enough times, you will get a concussion or die ultimatly leading to your inability to finish the race. Anyone will to test this system out?
 
F310B
Yeah but that implies racing... GT is not about racing for most people, because the AI are rubbish.

Precisely why people are going to be totally fed up with GT if the AI isnt any better!
If all you want to do is look at the cars, you may as well go to a museum.
 
I have a new system for all you people missing out on Damage. Here goes.

Every time you crash your car in GT4, you must slam your head into your wall. This adds to the realism because every time you smash your head you get a little disoriented and connot drive as well. If you do it enough times, you will get a concussion or die ultimatly leading to your inability to finish the race. Anyone will to test this system out?

That makes no sense what so ever, i can't even tell what point your trying to make.
 
F310B
Yeah but that implies racing... GT is not about racing for most people, because the AI are rubbish.


At the same time, you don't have to be racing to make contact with something unyielding. The fact is that GT does in no way reflect the penalty that a driver (or car) incurrs when hitting something when travelling at speed.
 
Let me tell you something. If GT had crash damage and the amount of intelligence of a reckless NASCAR racer at Talladega or Daytona... well, let's just say your car won't win you any dates with it being so screwed up. It would look like it got shot up and beat up by ruthless gangsters or bratty boys. So you can kind of think of that if we're going to keep having these AI discussions.
 
maxter
At the same time, you don't have to be racing to make contact with something unyielding. The fact is that GT does in no way reflect the penalty that a driver (or car) incurrs when hitting something when travelling at speed.

That penalty you refer to has no credance in a video game. The simple fact that the game can be reset by pressing a button enabling the player to restart from the previous save point makes realistic damage implimentation a waste of time and effort for the developer.
Be honest know, how many people would not restart a game if the damage system gave you no chance of a win after a high impact collision with the AI or a wall?
 
code_kev
That makes no sense what so ever, i can't even tell what point your trying to make.


What I'm trying to say is that this is a game! If you want realism then go out and drive your car fast on a closed course. No game will be 100% accurate. Enjoy the game for allowing you to do things you can't do in real life, like driving a lemans car around the nurburgring (sp?), not for things you can do any day. (this is to say that you could crash your car any day and then you would experience the damage you seem to yearn for). Plus I thought it was kind of funny. Does everything have to have a point?
 
It's a game. I want crashing. What point of this don't you get?
 
I get that you want it, but I think we all get that we won't have it. This is only a place for you to praise forza for it's amazing damage (does forza have damage, I haven't seen it yet, and if I remember your the forza master).
 
You remember wrong :P. I've said negative and positive things about both games :P

And yes, there are vids on ign showing damage. I've never called anything in either Gt4 or forza amazing, because neither game is "amazing". Half Life 2 though, well that may be a different story...
 
Back