Defending Confort Hard Tires as the right choice

• Thread starter daltonlm
  • 91 comments

daltonlm

(Banned)
Lazy Liquid
If you don´t have patience to read, jump to the numbered part. Thank you.

Ok, im not here to push my ideas to nobody, im just sharing some toughts that i had in the last weeks noticing obvious diferences between rooms with free choices of tires against rooms with limited choice, mostly focoused on confort hard tires.

Since the day 1 i had luck of have a friend of mine that is a top GT5 drifter, and his room (Evergreen Drift) is always crowded of drifters with medium to pro skills. Basicaly, i never saw the confort hard lock disabled. And the most interesting is that i never saw a pro drifter questioning or asking for free choices of tires.

Otherhand, many times i tried my luck into badly menaged rooms with no restriction, where normaly i have to pratice with drifters of all levels, but mostly of them are newbies, many times using Confort Soft or Sport Hard tires into any annoying AWD, turning the room into a ramming fest.

So im here to say something that the most experienced are bald to know, but the newbies (specialy the stubborn ones) insist in ignore.

Ok, here we go:

1 - Tandems.
What is the main point of drift online? Tandems rigth? I noticed that the best way of balance the speed of cars with diferent potency and weight is the use of the same set of tires. IE: The last corner on Tsukuba, if you use confort hard, no matter what car or drivetrain, the avg speed will be around 75 km/h (46 mph). Isn´t easier to sustain a tandem when everyone is at similar speed?

2 - If you are into a Drift room, then drift!
If you are into a track with 8 driftable corners or links, will u feel happy if you drift only 5 or 6 of them? And even worst, a full chase tandem depends of discipline about lines, if you disrespect the rigth lines and links, you will injury yourself and ur mates. So even confort soft can make you ignore the best line and mess up a tandem. Besides, if you win a drift race, the first thing that people will do is check your tires, and easily you will be marked as a cheap win abuser.

3 - Train on hard, then the easy will become easier.
Some people complain that Confort Hard is too slippery, or simply dont fit with his "fast drift style". IMHO the lowest tire is the most credible and replicates better the real driving situations. If a drifter domain the lines and entry speed using these tires, he will not be afraid of push the car to the limit because he knows already the risk liminal. So if you cant stand with so much slides, try finetune your car (specialy camber) instead simply get a more grippy tire.

Thats it, sorry for my bad english... i hope you understand and share your oppinion.

Last edited:

4 - Train on hard, then the easy will become easier.
Some people complain that Confort Hard is too slippery, or simply dont fit with his "fast drift style". IMHO the lowest tire is the most credible and replicates better the real driving situations. If a drifter domain the lines and entry speed using these tires, he will not be afraid of push the car to the limit because he knows already the risk liminal. So if you cant stand with so much slides, try finetune your car (specialy camber) instead simply get a more grippy tire.

I agree with you.

at first when I started drifting in gt5 I would use comfort mediums in the front and softs in the back. But after you learn car control you want to use hards.
Hards tend to give you a better idea of what your car is actually doing.

Another thing i forgot to mention is that the lack of grip on conf hard usualy helps the car to flow during a flick / change of direction / manjis.

Im for comfort hards, its actually really easy to drift with them

but,
Last corner on Tsukuba at 46mph? seems kinda slow to me, but I know what you are trying say.

as long as guys are using comfort whatever im happy. i just put on the same as whoever im tsuisoin' with and its all good. although i would prefer if PD would just call them drift or sim tires just to clear this up for the people who dont get it.

Im a not going to talk here about which tires are bad and which are good, but as you opened topic about the C-H Tires here I am just gonna give some bad sides about them... at least in my opinion and maybe you can tell what you think about it.

1. Unrealistic (With that i mean they feel like i would take a car on iced roads during the winter and drift)
2. Corner speed is slow.
3. Too easy to drift with those killing all the fun and challenge

Those are the biggest issues to me about these tires...
And in my opinion i wouldn't say there are best tires.. i would say either you can drift or you can't meaning that you will do good with different tires if you are good.

Anyone tried running Comfort medium on front and hard on rear, I used to do this on GT5P with the N2/N1 setup. Worked well but have just stuck on CH's for GT5.

I mostly run C-H tires now. I actually prefer C-S, but since almost everyone including those that I drift with seem locked on C-H I have to bow to the majority.

I do agree that C-H does give you the advantage of "feeling" the car better.

I do however not agree that they are the most realistic. A lot of pro drifters drift on so called R-tires/track day tires/semi slick tires. And in pretty much every interview I've seen with actual real life pro drifters they say that grip is very important. They go for the tire with the most grip possible yet is still able to break away smoothly and easily.
The nearest equivalent in GT5 to these tires are sports tires.

I'm not saying that locking a room to C-H is wrong in any way, it certainly levels the playing field, and offers the best competativeness of all the GT5 tires.
But it is in NO WAY the most realistic drift tire.

And just out of curiousity, what happened to the third argument in the original post?

Last edited:
I mostly run C-H tires now. I actually prefer C-S, but since almost everyone including those that I drift with seem locked on C-H I have to bow to the majority.

I do however not agree that they are the most realistic. A lot of pro drifters drift on so called R-tires/track day tires/semi slick tires. And in pretty much every interview I've seen with actual real life pro drifters they say that grip is very important. They go for the tire with the most grip possible yet is still able to break away smoothly and easily.

I'm not saying that locking a room to C-H is wrong in any way, it certainly levels the playing field, and offers the best competativeness of all the GT5 tires.

And just out of curiousity, what happened to the thrid argument in the original post?

Having pretty much same opinion with you :)

I am in no way a pro-drifter, i started about a week ago and can pretty much get most corners on tsukuba done everytime - but linking corners together and tandems, no chance in hell :P

I have however followed the drifting-scene (IRL), and everyone's using semi-slicks or actual slicks for drifting, which in the game is sport og racing tires, noone is using crappy road tires (comfort).

Why are people so obsessed with using CH? Everything on a car both in game and IRL has to fit together, including the tires. Maybe some car drift better with CH, but what if one drifts better with comfort softs? Why limit yourself to some stupid rule set up by online drifters.

I consider my skills to be advanced and I use comfort hards all the time. I started drifting with sports hards but found that the real skill begins and ends with comfort hards. Try drifting on comfort anything in a lobby full of people on sports hards or higher and you will realize that getting a tandem is very difficult.

I cannot understand why people keep bringing up real-life drifting with Gran Turismo drifting. There is no comparison as you are comparing real life to a game. Of course it is going to be different in real life!! Gran Turismo is a game!!

I prefer comfort mediums for mid or higher powered cars. They have the slippy, easy sliding feel of the hards, but the ability to flick the car around of the soft compound. It can make tandeming with slower cars a challenge but I suppose thats the point. Comfort hard tires are usually far too slippy and unrealistic for me.

I cannot understand why people keep bringing up real-life drifting with Gran Turismo drifting. There is no comparison as you are comparing real life to a game. Of course it is going to be different in real life!! Gran Turismo is a game!!

This is true. I wouldn't have brought it up unless many keep calling them "the most realistic" which they aren't. It is that statement that brings the real world thing into the conversation in the first place.
But like I said, I too drift comfort hards, but not because of realism.

I consider my skills to be advanced and I use comfort hards all the time. I started drifting with sports hards but found that the real skill begins and ends with comfort hards. Try drifting on comfort anything in a lobby full of people on sports hards or higher and you will realize that getting a tandem is very difficult.

100% agreed. And as stated before, the part of drifting online and my only goal online, is getting multiple car tandems. You wont with a different choice of tires simple as.

One other point, i do drift on comfort hards always, i never actually equipped grippier tires, but from what i heard it would be more forgiving to use Comfort Hards, which might save a tandem and a lot less accidents will happen.

Since the day 1 i had luck of have a friend of mine that is a top GT5 drifter, and his room (Evergreen Drift) is always crowded of drifters with medium to pro skills. Basicaly, i never saw the confort hard lock disabled. And the most interesting is that i never saw a pro drifter questioning or asking for free choices of tires.

tbh, I prefer the Evergreen lobby over others because of the CH tire restriction and the quality of drifters on that lobby - attributed to the CH tire restriction. nuff said.

C-H 4life and Evergreen FTW. Been with them since prologue. We used N3's and converted to C-H's because we think that is the closest thing to them.

I would say it depends on the cars power, a very very high powered car will be very difficult to tame on comfort hard tyres, but I have to agree, they are my favourites on most of my drift cars. Then again I usually drift cars that have about 300-500bhp, anything above I would use medium or soft comfort.

Apart from it leveling the playing field I see no other reason why comfort hards are so superior. As others have pointed out, the greater "feel" that comfort hards offer disappears as power increases over 500bhp.
I've successfully drifted cars with around 550bhp on sports hard and medium tires.

I have a 930 h viper and i use c-h on it. It just requires alot more concentration on the throtle, (spelling) but you get used to it.
Then when i go back to my favourate car, the rx7, it feels dead lol, but i get back in the habit in a few minutes.

I would say it depends on the cars power, a very very high powered car will be very difficult to tame on comfort hard tyres, but I have to agree, they are my favourites on most of my drift cars. Then again I usually drift cars that have about 300-500bhp, anything above I would use medium or soft comfort.

Okay guys, let's keep it simple. People that switch when their car reaches a certain amount of HP... i can drift the AC 247 inchprecise on CH's. that should not be the problem. My point is, to have fun, and also compare people online, limit those tires online. Should be standard in drift rooms imo.

I was in a room with another girl earlier tonight, and we did 1-1, 3 laps around Deep Forest reverse... She was in an S2000 on Comf Softs, me in my Lexus on CH's. She slid off a couple of times, where i did only once. I actually finished the race in first place because of cleaner drifting. (Point being: People can be fast on softer tires, but that doesnt make them better drifters, as still, a lot of people might reason that way).

Just up the fun, and tandem decently, speed doesnt matter.

Gonales
Okay guys, let's keep it simple. People that switch when their car reaches a certain amount of HP... i can drift the AC 247 inchprecise on CH's. that should not be the problem. My point is, to have fun, and also compare people online, limit those tires online. Should be standard in drift rooms imo.

I was in a room with another girl earlier tonight, and we did 1-1, 3 laps around Deep Forest reverse... She was in an S2000 on Comf Softs, me in my Lexus on CH's. She slid off a couple of times, where i did only once. I actually finished the race in first place because of cleaner drifting. (Point being: People can be fast on softer tires, but that doesnt make them better drifters, as still, a lot of people might reason that way).

Just up the fun, and tandem decently, speed doesnt matter.

I can keep up with peolle on c-s and im on c-h in random lobbies. And some of them are clean enough.

I can keep up with peolle on c-s and im on c-h in random lobbies. And some of them are clean enough.

The majority isnt cause (in my experiences) they cant handle power, and switch for that reason. Some can be clean, no doubt. But close tandeming? Will be tricky.

If you want to tandem with somebody, I suggest Comfort Hard's. Unless you know anybody you can keep up with or vice versa on different tires other than Hards, your doing ok.

I'll be honest, I get a bit annoyed when I want to tandem with somebody in a open lobby, only to find out they are using better tires than me.

The same can be said about racing tires. This is why we have tire restrictions amirite?

This is where the power of simple observation really pays off. Go to the drift trial under the seasonal events, and see what the top 10 guys on the leaderboards are using for tires. Wow, look at that everyone uses comfort hard tires! Is this just a coincidence?

Last edited:
+1 for Comfort Hards.

If you enter a CH restricted room, don't ask for the restriction to be changed. It's CLEARLY marked as a CH room when you scroll through the lobbies. Please move on to a room with a tire restriction you feel is appropriate or an unrestricted room of chaos and ramming. Protect your corn hole...

And just out of curiousity, what happened to the third argument in the original post?

LOL, well noticed... would be 4 points, but i could fit 2 into 1 and i lost to fix the count...
Hey, i know how to count until 3, ok?

Backing to the subject:
Yesterday i was having fun building toscana tracks, and my main goal was not the number of corners (specialy because its pointless to drift in a touge all crispy with few hairpins and rounded/smooth corners). I made a very good touge, smooth and rounded, with 60 corners enough to keep me drifting all around and linking everything on C-hard, even if sometimes i had to use the e-brake powersliding trick.

Then i changed to C-Soft tires, and even doing clean laps, was simply impossible to link everyting like most newbies do in newbie tracks like Tsukuba. The point is, that if i was tandeming and missing the line, i would mess up everyting, bothering my own and my partner´s concentration. So a paint trade or serious crash would be much more easy to happen.

So it works simple:
1- I (suposely) don´t use C-Hard
2- I lost some drifts, ignoring the standard line.
3 - My drift mate feels unsafety and unconfidence in my lines and skills.
4 - The tandems starts to happen more often.

Basicaly, if you´re not drifting online with the main objective to keep tandeming with the other, but only to show how fast you can keep in sideways at few (not all) corners, then the best place for you is the drift trial.

On side note:
How many more cars you can drift when you use C-Hard tires?
Can you do a Capuccino drift car using diferent tires?

Last edited:
Back