Defending Confort Hard Tires as the right choice

• Thread starter daltonlm
  • 91 comments
C-h all the way they might not be the closet thing to real life but any other comfort tyre or sports tyre is not going to get you any closer either grippier tyres are not any quicker through corners but there advantage is under braking and accelerating the extra grip to me is actual a pain in the ass as it gains traction to early out of the corner and causes snap back when a better tyre losses traction it does exactly that lose traction so therefore it can't be any grippier mid drift than a ch.

What annoys me most is people thinking they are speed drifting when in fact they are just braking later and accelerating quicker after the corner there actual speed is no different through the corner.
The fact of the matter is ch are the fairest drift tyre there is and that's why we lock our rooms on them.

Here's my argument Against Comfort hard tires. The Truth is using Comfort Hard tires is the Beginners way to learn Drift. With CH tires it's easy to Break traction making it easier to focus on Counter steering and Acceleration. They are usually better when running stock tuning on your car, but CH tires do not offer the control needed for highsppeed drifting nor aggressive angles. I learned drift on GT5 with a stock PT-86 on Comfort hard tires, but I outgrew them and any car I tune ends up on Sport Soft. Now I do understand why people use CH tires because seasonal drift event require CS or lower tires, but when I drift online, it's Sport soft. Also look at Real D1 drifters and they don't use comfort tires, they use sport tires like Falken Azenis or Ziex.

P.S. The real reason you guys mess up tandems is because you use CH tires you take horrible lines! Tsukuba for example usually i see guys trying to take the inside line but enter the Turn Slow, then they power over through the turn....ThAts way too slow! In a battle I would always out pace you with lesser HP, and if I chase I will always close the gap, meaning u will lose! If anyone wants to test my theory we can go one on One to prove my point.
As for tandem drift the real problem to overcome is familiarity with your partner! I don't tandem with people I don't know, unless we do laps and have similar skills and we both understand the RACING LINE. You cannot both enter turns on the same line or lines that'll cause you to cross at The exit and maybe crash. Another example, you don't want a slow drifter to lead a tandem line nor do you want to drift with someone of weaker skill because it's not going to work. You must be in perfect sync.

Last edited:
EvergreeDrift lobby is up right now and livestreaming http://www.justin.tv/uko_driftninja

Wrong topic? :embarrassed: :D

Not exactly. I mentioned the EvergreeDrift at the OP and UKO was the "friend of mine". And besides, i did knew UKO and his lobby by this streaming, even before have a PS3+GT5.

Thank you UKO, for provide a fair lobby with really good drifters with CH as standard and for livestream it all.

And:
Here's my argument Against Comfort hard tires. The Truth is using Comfort Hard tires is the Beginners way to learn Drift. With CH tires it's easy to Break traction making it easier to focus on Counter steering and Acceleration. They are usually better when running stock tuning on your car, but CH tires do not offer the control needed for highsppeed drifting nor aggressive angles. I learned drift on GT5 with a stock PT-86 on Comfort hard tires, but I outgrew them and any car I tune ends up on Sport Soft. Now I do understand why people use CH tires because seasonal drift event require CS or lower tires, but when I drift online, it's Sport soft. Also look at Real D1 drifters and they don't use comfort tires, they use sport tires like Falken Azenis or Ziex.

Sorry by my ignorance, but what is a PT-86?

daltonlm
Not exactly. I mentioned the EvergreeDrift at the OP and UKO was the "friend of mine". And besides, i did knew UKO and his lobby by this streaming, even before have a PS3+GT5.

Thank you UKO, for provide a fair lobby with really good drifters with CH as standard and for livestream it all.

And:

Sorry by my ignorance, but what is a PT-86?

It's the Revised Toyota Trueno (AE86)coming out. PT= ProtoType 86. Get it?

SKOT_FREE

P.S. The real reason you guys mess up tandems is because you use CH tires you take horrible lines! Tsukuba for example usually i see guys trying to take the inside line but enter the Turn Slow, then they power over through the turn....ThAts way too slow! In a battle I would always out pace you with lesser HP, and if I chase I will always close the gap, meaning u will lose! If anyone wants to test my theory we can go one on One to prove my point.
As for tandem drift the real problem to overcome is familiarity with your partner! I don't tandem with people I don't know, unless we do laps and have similar skills and we both understand the RACING LINE. You cannot both enter turns on the same line or lines that'll cause you to cross at The exit and maybe crash. Another example, you don't want a slow drifter to lead a tandem line nor do you want to drift with someone of weaker skill because it's not going to work. You must be in perfect sync.

So you use a tire compound that your not even able to compete with, and claim it's better cause CH drifters are too slow? Last time I checked it's the chaser that has to follow and HOLD the leaders line. See what has happened is you didn't get too good for CH, your ego just overinflated and your intellectual capacity diminished.

Look. In real life when tires break friction is doesnt really make much difference what kind they are, but im not sure about slicks. So sport tires and reapistic for drifting, comfort medium or soft is, but comfort hard levels the playing field more, and are more fun

SixCylSamurai
So you use a tire compound that your not even able to compete with, and claim it's better cause CH drifters are too slow? Last time I checked it's the chaser that has to follow and HOLD the leaders line. See what has happened is you didn't get too good for CH, your ego just overinflated and your intellectual capacity diminished.

Sorry I may not of been clear enough, first I would never say that people who run CH tires lack skill. I was actually talking about Battle Drift AND Tandem and didnt define which i was talking about so, If I came across like I was dissing CH users,sorry. I'm saying The Reason People who use CH tires are slow is because of the tire choice not lack of Skill. All I know is I get complaints that I'm too fast etc, but that's what D1 drifting is...I'll say one last time I defy you to show me one pro drifter who uses comfort tires in competition. Practice maybe, but serious comp no way.

Sorry I may not of been clear enough, first I would never say that people who run CH tires lack skill. I was actually talking about Battle Drift AND Tandem and didnt define which i was talking about so, If I came across like I was dissing CH users,sorry. I'm saying The Reason People who use CH tires are slow is because of the tire choice not lack of Skill. All I know is I get complaints that I'm too fast etc, but that's what D1 drifting is...I'll say one last time I defy you to show me one pro drifter who uses comfort tires in competition. Practice maybe, but serious comp no way.

Of course CH tires are going to be slower than Sports/Racing tires. Sports/Racing tires are for grip. I consider myself very fast as I use comfort hards (ask anyone here who has drifted with me and they will say same). But I realize that I am not faster than someone on sports mediums and higher because of the grip of their tires. When I enter a lobby and everyone is on sports tires or better - I leave the lobby. I have no time for crash fests.

No matter how fast you get to the corner - every corner has a maximum entry speed - it doesn't matter if you are on comfort/sports/racing tires - if you go beyond the maximum entry speed of that corner you are sliding off the track.

True skill is on comfort hards - NOT sports/racing tires. Holding a drift angle AND maintaining speed on comfort hards is skill. Sports/Racing tires are far more forgiving than comfort hards because of their grip.

Again - this is a game bro. Not real life. Of course the tire selections will be different in real life. So there is no comparison between the two.

It's the Revised Toyota Trueno (AE86)coming out. PT= ProtoType 86. Get it?

Pretty sure it's an FT-86 buddy and your theory is completely wrong good luck trying to get any battles on GTP with sports tyres as for your comment about Tsukuba and lines you obviously havnt drifted with any good drifters on ch.
You sound like a complete noob
Of course your going to get up with people in a lower hp car with sports tyres on.
As for your comment about ch tyres being beginner tyres wrong again it takes more skill to drift high speed with ch than with sports.

@ Everyone else
This guy is a prime example of the guys that P me off online I'm a fast drifter because I use sports tyres he obviously uses sports because he can't keep his lines on ch tyres therefore if ch tyres were beginner tyres wouldn't it be easy to keep line and speed wrong it's the other way around sports tyres are the easiest to drift in because you don't get much slide out of them.

Last edited:
Stupid just stupid
You just quoted d1 and guess what D1GP Street legal uses the equivalent to comfort tyres :lol:
Know what your talking bout before you say anything.
And 1 more point I might add is that if you do a bit of research on gtp u might find that cm and cs are the closest tyre to a real life sports tyre than the actual sports tyres in game.
Sports tyres in gt5 are a semi slick tyre the only drift comp I know of that allows these tyres is formula-d

Last edited:
DrifTa-AJV
Stupid just stupid
You just quoted d1 and guess what D1GP Street legal uses the equivalent to comfort tyres :lol:
Know what your talking bout before you say anything.
And 1 more point I might add is that if you do a bit of research on gtp u might find that cm and cs are the closest tyre to a real life sports tyre than the actual sports tyres in game.
Sports tyres in gt5 are a semi slick tyre the only drift comp I know of that allows these tyres is formula-d

Oh so we are going to be Childish about this? Who said anything about Street Legal D1? If you want to get technical, Street Legal D1 also says your car needs to be basically stock and have the Cat Converter on. Now go look where I said previously that CH tires are okay for stock cars. What im talking about is after you tune your car to say anything over 300HP. As for the tires in D1/FD competition both of which I have personally went to and walked the Pits, most of The Drivers drifted on Falken Azenis with the Treads shaved off to Achieve MORE GRIP! Again i am not attacking CH users, I'm trying to let you know you are basically handicapping yourselves, I'm guaranteeing u that if you drift hella good on CH, you will be amazing on Sport softs. All I'm trying to say. Again if anyone wants to test the theory we can Hit up Tsukuba and drift together, not even on a competitive level, but to just examine the difference, I'm down anytime. In fact I'll be on tonight.

Feel free to add me anytime you want I still feel your the 1 handicapping your self because I gaurantee you might have a good line but I bet you can't link the track like you should be able to irl.
I still don't think you understand that the physics in the game are great but not the same as real life and the tyres your using are not the equivalent to what you think they are. I'll be on in a couple of hours witch should be your night so let's run this then I'll capture and show the thread.
By the way I hope your using a steering wheel because I'll respect your theory more then. If your using the pad and talking about realism you just lost what respect I had left for your theory.

P.S I tried adding you and your friend list is full please make some room to add

Last edited:
Oh so we are going to be Childish about this? Who said anything about Street Legal D1? If you want to get technical, Street Legal D1 also says your car needs to be basically stock and have the Cat Converter on. Now go look where I said previously that CH tires are okay for stock cars. What im talking about is after you tune your car to say anything over 300HP. As for the tires in D1/FD competition both of which I have personally went to and walked the Pits, most of The Drivers drifted on Falken Azenis with the Treads shaved off to Achieve MORE GRIP! Again i am not attacking CH users, I'm trying to let you know you are basically handicapping yourselves, I'm guaranteeing u that if you drift hella good on CH, you will be amazing on Sport softs. All I'm trying to say. Again if anyone wants to test the theory we can Hit up Tsukuba and drift together, not even on a competitive level, but to just examine the difference, I'm down anytime. In fact I'll be on tonight.

Look. We are drifters. Holding lines, angles and tandeming well, is more important then speed. You know why? Simple. You can't out-pace the leader, or you will make accidents.
Now i suggest, you get some serious practise on CH's and visit this thread again in 2 weeks.

Ok so I went and tried Sh tyres on my 600hp chaser and it was the most unrealistic drift experience I've ever had.
I'm telling you right now this dude is full of it there is no way he is pulling any sort of drift on SS tyres. I want proof he's obviously using a pad it's not physically possible with the wheel.
Anyways I've waisted enough time in this thread arguing about tyres.
Happy drifting y'all

Oh 1 more bite how come all the d1 cars come with comfort tyres I'll answer that 1 for you because the cs tyre is the sport tyre your talking about

Last edited:
PT-86?

Pretty sure it's an FT-86 buddy and your theory is completely wrong...

Yes, i was suspecting also that he was talking about the FT, but i was shy to go direct to the point.

Digging on the internet, believing that the FT project could had changed his name to PT i realized that there is no statement about that, so i will still calling it FT-86.

On sidenote:
I guess this discussion is drained already, and we realized that as into any AWD discussion, always will be people caring about more of himself than the room harmony. Even if some points i mentioned in the OP hadn´t be debated, at least im glad to know that most people here (witch sims to be experienced drifters, at least) are on the CH side. Would be great to see this majority also inside the game, but probably most of donkies in there cant hold a corner in sideways with CH without eat some grass, nor visit this GTP drift forum to gain some knowledge.

On sidenote:
I guess this discussion is drained already, and we realized that as into any AWD discussion, always will be people caring about more of himself than the room harmony. Even if some points i mentioned in the OP hadn´t be debated, at least im glad to know that most people here (witch sims to be experienced drifters, at least) are on the CH side. Would be great to see this majority also inside the game, but probably most of donkies in there cant hold a corner in sideways with CH without eat some grass, nor visit this GTP drift forum to gain some knowledge.

This, it all comes down to personal preference. If I really really wanted to, I could tandem in some car with 300hp on CH against some 900hp beast on SS. Who will win? I dunno lol.

Most basic thing is visuals with the tire choice in GT5. Comfort style tire would represent a tire like a Falken FK-452 (or ST-115 before the FK-452 was introduced). A Sport tire (S-Class) has the look of say an Advan A048. Falken FK-452 has a tread wear rating of 300, the ST-115 was 200 before it was discontinued. Azenis RT-615 is 200. An Advan A048 has a tread wear rating of 60! Difference, I think so...

Multiple inaccurate statements in this post....

1) A Falken Azenis RT-615 or Toyo R1R style tire would not be classified as an S-Class, although they have the look with trying to increase contact patch as much as possible. D1GP/Street Legal clearly state in the rule book that S-Class are ILLEGAL for competition use. Formula D states a tread wear rating of 140 or higher is required.

2) If you were to competition drift on Falken ZE912's you're either an idiot or Falken doesn't like you very much as a sponsored driver. Tread wear is 480...

3) DOT approved does not equal competition legal. You can now rule out Nitto NT01 (100 tread wear) and Toyo RA1/R888 (100 tread wear). R1R meets maximum tread wear ratings at 140.

4) Aggressive angles and speeds can be had with comfort tires, I think you're hopping in the wrong lobbies. I can think of atleast 20 GT5 drifters who can carry some sick speed and angle on the proper race line.

5) Tire choice has NOTHING to do with a racers or drifters line. Sometimes you come in too hot and eat it, happens to the best. +1 for Sport as a crutch for being weak sauce...

6) Slow drifter leading, happens all the time, sorry to burst your bubble. Chaser is to duplicate line and speed no matter what the limitations of the lead car are.

Again, multiple inaccurate statements in this post....

1) I do want to get technical. D1 Street Legal as basically stock? Hahahaha! They require a catalytic converter and interior to be mostly intact. Japan dBA emissions must be met. This classifies a "street car." But most of the rule book is applied from standard D1GP. Major infrastructure intact (i.e. - no moving the fire wall) etc....

2) You walking through the pits at a D1GP & Formula Drift event makes S-Class tires the definitive choice? Shaved tires have been going on since forever. Contact patch = grip on pavement, plain and simple. Shorter tread block = less tread block deflection = more grip. Doesn't matter if it's a Pep Boys 4 for $200 special or a Maxxis MA-Z1. Again, read the actual tire rules.

3) "CH for stock or under 300HP," BS! Rear bite can be had from suspension & LSD tuning.

4) There is a video floating around somewhere on this forum of Tsukuba, same car, comfort and sport comparison. I think Sai-66 did it. Sport tire has some ridiculously inaccurate speeds of drifting the course.

5) I've been to PLENTY of D1GP & FD events coast to coast as both a general spectator and as crew for a number of teams. I see you're in LA, I'll see you at Long Beach, wave to me from the grand stands with your Sport Soft tires...

In the end, I don't really care what anyone chooses to drift on in GT5, just don't hop into a CH restricted room and expect to get it changed. Move on and have your fun in another lobby. There is just too any inaccuracies from SKOT_FREE's posts of actual sanctioned bodies for me to overlook.

2 - If you are into a Drift room, then drift!
If you are into a track with 8 driftable corners or links, will u feel happy if you drift only 5 or 6 of them? And even worst, a full chase tandem depends of discipline about lines, if you disrespect the rigth lines and links, you will injury yourself and ur mates. So even confort soft can make you ignore the best line and mess up a tandem. Besides, if you win a drift race, the first thing that people will do is check your tires, and easily you will be marked as a cheap win abuser.

3 - Train on hard, then the easy will become easier.
Some people complain that Confort Hard is too slippery, or simply dont fit with his "fast drift style". IMHO the lowest tire is the most credible and replicates better the real driving situations. If a drifter domain the lines and entry speed using these tires, he will not be afraid of push the car to the limit because he knows already the risk liminal. So if you cant stand with so much slides, try finetune your car (specialy camber) instead simply get a more grippy tire.

Thats it, sorry for my bad english... i hope you understand and share your oppinion.
Someones taking a game pretty seriously.

I will agree though, AWD can go home, anyone not on comfort tires can go home.

Some of the comments coming from people are just unbelievable lmao

SKOT_FREE this one is for you
Point 1. Some people mess up there tandem drifting because they have not had enough practice and haven't properly revised there setup so they do not know the correct line and speed needed going into a corner! Also they do not have good enough car control while in the corner side by side with another car so they are more than likely going to crash! It has NOTHING to do with the Tyres that you are going to crash LMAO!!! Myself and GTWelsh can Tandem the most epically way on some ocassions without 1 touch of bodywork in 20 laps! Proven on more than 1 ocassion :)

Point 2. Me on the other hand, I can use a 650 BHP Corvette Z06 (Primary Drift Car) and have it literally licking the door of an S13 Silvia Dia's Selection all the way round Tsukuba Circuit! :) I have more than just the couple of people who will still up for me!

Point 3. You do not need a fast lead drifter if you are good enough to control you're car and slow it down. Also the driver you are Tandem Drifting with does not need to be the best out there! I have Tandem Drifted with multiple people who cannot keep the car together in the corners but once you have a groove going it goes well!

Point 4. The whole point of each Tyre is exactly what you are saying, GRIP LEVELS! Therefor the higher spec of Tyre you are usig such as Sports Hard you are going to go faster! It has absolutely nothing to do with skill taking into effect the challenge of breaking traction. I can break traction on Sports Soft in a Stock RX7. Why you would even bother using ANY Sports Tyre in the first place is a total mystery as it really is TOO fast for me!
"Entry Entry oops EXIT already!!!"​
Comfort Softs in my opinion are far too fast!.. So to put an end to this Tyre choice is to do more with Speed Levels of you're drift NOT Skill level :) And I WILL stick by that.. :crazy:

jimy281090

Point 1. Some people mess up there tandem drifting because they have not had enough practice and haven't properly revised there setup so they do not know the correct line and speed needed going into a corner! Also they do not have good enough car control while in the corner side by side with another car so they are more than likely going to crash! It has NOTHING to do with the Tyres that you are going to crash LMAO!!! Myself and GTWelsh can Tandem the most epically way on some ocassions without 1 touch of bodywork in 20 laps! Proven on more than 1 ocassion :)

Point 2. Me on the other hand, I can use a 650 BHP Corvette Z06 (Primary Drift Car) and have it literally licking the door of an S13 Silvia Dia's Selection all the way round Tsukuba Circuit! :) I have more than just the couple of people who will still up for me!

Point 3. You do not need a fast lead drifter if you are good enough to control you're car and slow it down. Also the driver you are Tandem Drifting with does not need to be the best out there! I have Tandem Drifted with multiple people who cannot keep the car together in the corners but once you have a groove going it goes well!

Point 4. The whole point of each Tyre is exactly what you are saying, GRIP LEVELS! Therefor the higher spec of Tyre you are usig such as Sports Hard you are going to go faster! It has absolutely nothing to do with skill taking into effect the challenge of breaking traction. I can break traction on Sports Soft in a Stock RX7. Why you would even bother using ANY Sports Tyre in the first place is a total mystery as it really is TOO fast for me!
"Entry Entry oops EXIT already!!!"
Comfort Softs in my opinion are far too fast!.. So to put an end to this Tyre choice is to do more with Speed Levels of you're drift NOT Skill level :) And I WILL stick by that.. :crazy:

Exhibit A I got this from just one site named Driftjapan.com but just about every discussion on Drift tires is the same.....Drift Tires Explained: Size? High Grip? Air Pressure?

>> High Grip vs. Low Grip

Again it depends on the car. If it's a high powered turbo car and you are an advanced driver not scared of high speed drifting, then high grip tires are good.

Popular high grip tires here in Japan are Yokohama Neova. For beginners, usual normal cheap tires are good for praticing in as they are easier to spin and if you're not going too fast, can stop you if you need. Just make sure they have grip ;)"

That's all I'm saying man. I dive into corners and Drift fast through them. There's no way I should be catching a guy in A Skyline in my 342 HP S14 in a corner. Here's how it usually Goes: Mr Skyline or Supra or whomever beats the crap out of me in the straightaways, only to have them slow down for the turn because of the Low Grip of their tires, and I just slam my Ebrake and away I go.
Here's the Kicker, if I drive my 86 it's on Comfort Soft, because as dude stated in the quote I posted, it's a lower HP car.
Oh and Jimmy, everyone isn't the same, I have a friend who can Hang with me on Comfort tires, but the Majority I usually out drift.

Im satisfied with the result of this thread.
What made me write and it is not writed in the OP: I was felling sick of so many lobbies with random tire choices and limited tire drift rooms were very very rare.

Today fortunaly i found some more CH roms, plus some of them had in the title "Confort Hard Only", just to avoid people to ask for change. I don´t know how many of these lobbies was affected by this discussion, but i start to see an improvement. Mixed Tire lobbies will remain, but i see some increasement of limited tire rules, and less people asking for unlock it.

Exhibit A I got this from just one site named Driftjapan.com but just about every discussion on Drift tires is the same.....Drift Tires Explained: Size? High Grip? Air Pressure?

>> High Grip vs. Low Grip

Again it depends on the car. If it's a high powered turbo car and you are an advanced driver not scared of high speed drifting, then high grip tires are good.

Popular high grip tires here in Japan are Yokohama Neova. For beginners, usual normal cheap tires are good for praticing in as they are easier to spin and if you're not going too fast, can stop you if you need. Just make sure they have grip ;)"

That's all I'm saying man. I dive into corners and Drift fast through them. There's no way I should be catching a guy in A Skyline in my 342 HP S14 in a corner. Here's how it usually Goes: Mr Skyline or Supra or whomever beats the crap out of me in the straightaways, only to have them slow down for the turn because of the Low Grip of their tires, and I just slam my Ebrake and away I go.
Here's the Kicker, if I drive my 86 it's on Comfort Soft, because as dude stated in the quote I posted, it's a lower HP car.
Oh and Jimmy, everyone isn't the same, I have a friend who can Hang with me on Comfort tires, but the Majority I usually out drift.

Im sorry but thats not the point. Out drifting is not a way you should look at it. The point of drifting is tandeming, Overtaking in a corner just ruins the purpose.

Even if you have a low hp car you can still keep up with comfort hards.
I use a 370z with about 530 hp. Yet I can keep up with those pesky rx7s which are just little rockets when drifting.

Because this is GT5 and not real life, We don't "actually get a choice of tires that we would see professionals use" Drifters use almost racing slick tires. But they are a special compound that actually makes them drift better. The ones in the game are for racing not drifting.

zedfonsie
Im sorry but thats not the point. Out drifting is not a way you should look at it. The point of drifting is tandeming, Overtaking in a corner just ruins the purpose.

Even if you have a low hp car you can still keep up with comfort hards.
I use a 370z with about 530 hp. Yet I can keep up with those pesky rx7s which are just little rockets when drifting.

Because this is GT5 and not real life, We don't "actually get a choice of tires that we would see professionals use" Drifters use almost racing slick tires. But they are a special compound that actually makes them drift better. The ones in the game are for racing not drifting.

First Point, This is GT5 "The Real Driving Simulator" So wouldn't the point be to be as realistic as possible in setting up ones car?

As for Tires Pro Drifters use, they aren't racing slicks, they are Sport tires with the Treads shaved off. Falken Azenis tires are sold for street use to the General public as well as the Neovas mentioned in the Article.

As for Your skills like I said everyone is different.

jimy281090

"Entry Entry oops EXIT already!!!"

Nice post. Agree with it all. And believe me I can vouch for jimmy lol.

Starting to miss the old jimmy tandeming lol .

Back