Der neue Golf (Mk7)

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 98 comments
Norway
Norway
Unveiled a couple of minutes ago in Berlin:

243075555421999104-w500-h500.jpg

Not inspired, hope its better in real life.
Not bad though, I like the fascia.

I kinda like it. It goes back to its roots... the Golf wasn't a really fancy car back in the day.

Top Gear
As for that adage, you can kind of see why: the design is more subtle evolution rather than balls-out design fantasy. Says design chief Water de Silva: “One of the keys to the Golf’s success lies in its [design] continuity.” Underneath however, the car sits on something very important indeed, the MQB platform; a platform that will underpin a whole new generation of VW-group models.

And that means that this new Golf is now 100kg lighter than before, around the average size of an American’s Golden Retriever. The MQB platform – which standardises many parts across brands and classes – has been adapted to make the new car 56mm longer, 13mm wider and 28mm lower than its predecessor. Rebigulation appears to be the key to progress, here. These extra millimetres have freed up vital space inside too, as the ‘Dub now boasts a bigger boot, more rear legroom, front shoulder room and more space for your freakishly large elbows.

100 kgs lighter! Thats a loooott of kilograms. Can't wait to see the new GTI! Given the Golf's recent history though, I can already envisage how it will look like. (Red border grill and the 18 inch detroit rims)

100kg?
Me likey.
Thats the sort of news that sparks my interest big time. Will definitely be reading more now. Gti could be looking really good shortly, would love to see focus st showdowns!

It's the bread and butter VW car, it is supposed to be subtle and discrete. I honestly like it.

The fact that is lighter and has a bigger footprint will only make the GTi version even better.

It's a split decision here for me.

I like the move downward in weight. The loss of 220lbs will be noticeable across the range, and is a good sign that others will likely do the same with their next-generation vehicles. The move toward a 1.4L turbo a standard fare seems like a good idea as well, although they seem to be indicating that we might not get it as the standard engine here in North America. It would be disappointing, in my opinion. The continued use of the 2.0L 8V is inexcusable in a competitive market, and I've never really felt that the 2.5L I5 ever had a "place" of sorts among the others.

I would agree that the looks are generic, but I have to admit, the current Passat looks nice with the same face. As long as it looks better than the Jetta, it should do just fine. I'm interested to see what a lower-trim interior is going to look like. The cost-cutting in the Jetta really killed my interest in the car, but the same treatment in the Passat went over in a much more positive way.

Come Paris, we'll likely see what the major differential will be between this car, the Focus, Cruze, and Elantra will be. I know Volkswagen will have it finding it's place, but I am a bit worried that this won't capture the magic that VW has otherwise lost since 1999.

Seems like the new trend is to shove the headlights and the grill down, making the entire front of the car look frumpy. It's also quite apparent on the Dodge Dart and the new 3-Series, and it makes them look frumpty-dumpty as well. Other than that, the rest of the Golf looks just fine, as always with Volkswagen, it's evolution over revolution. I just hope Volkswagen doesn't pull a Jetta and give America a cheapo version of the Golf. :nervous:

The fact that is lighter and has a bigger footprint will only make the GTi version even better.

+ 1 👍

* Lighter (100 kg is a lot)
* Slightly wider (Good for cornering/handeling in general)
* And as always, the next generation of top end engines, the GTi and R36 (?) will most likely also be more powerful.
= A really fast and good handeling car compared to the MkVI. 👍

You might say it's just like a Golf.

Can't complain about the weight reduction though. It's about time the Golf lost some flab.

Would I buy one? No. Volkswagen makes the Beetle and Scirocco, which are also just like a Golf, only not unutterably tedious.

The headlights and rearlights are more edgy, other than that... the exact same from the outside. Looks like VW hired a Porsche designer to do this one. :lol:

It's a Golf, it will never be polarizing or extravagant. It's a Golf!

Also the similarities with the A3 comes in big steps from the new VAG plattform plan (this is MQB)

Never was a fan of the mkVI so this one is not my cup of tea either, but for a Golf it's OK. I like the front bumper design and the interior looks great

Seeing that picture, I find it neat how Volkswagen's kept that little 'swish' in between the rear door and the hatch.

The one design cue that I can't stand, and is seen on the new Golf, is how the gap for the rear door doesn't follow the countour of the wheel well.

Seeing that picture, I find it neat how Volkswagen's kept that little 'swish' in between the rear door and the hatch.

It's one of the Golf signature lines. But the other signature line, from the headlights to the top of the tails is missing, only previously done on the Mk4. The Mk7 is kinda trying but it's not quite the same. Apart from the rear hatch/tails which I think looks awkward, I'm warming up to this :cool:

"Excuse us while we put new rims on an old car, and sell it for ridiculous prices." -Volkswagen.

Unfortunately, my preferred nickname for Volkswagen is not AUP friendly, so I'll refrain from its use. Still, seriously, :yuck:.

Back