Der neue Golf (Mk7)

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by eiriksmil, Sep 4, 2012.

1. eiriksmil

eiriksmil

Unveiled a couple of minutes ago in Berlin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kent

Kent Staff Emeritus

Not inspired, hope its better in real life.
    Not bad though, I like the fascia.

3. Organ-Donor

Organ-Donor

I like it. Any rear end pics?

4. eiriksmil

eiriksmil

5. Tornado

Tornado

I'm having a hard time seeing "der neue" in der neue Golf.

6. eiriksmil

eiriksmil

I'm just seeing a Polo that made a baby with a new A3 :p

7. Coxis

Coxis

I kinda like it. It goes back to its roots... the Golf wasn't a really fancy car back in the day.

8. Tornado

Tornado

More pictures.

Even with all of those, it's basically like playing a game of "spot the difference."

9. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

It's just a sleeker look to the past generation model, and it probably helps on the highway mileage front.

It's like a guy putting hair gel to slick his hair back.

10. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

VAG product in predictably dull styling shocker!!!

11. Lankay

Lankay

100 kgs lighter! Thats a loooott of kilograms. Can't wait to see the new GTI! Given the Golf's recent history though, I can already envisage how it will look like. (Red border grill and the 18 inch detroit rims)

12. peter_vod69

peter_vod69

Wasn't broken, why should it be fixed? Beats the hell out of the "Mr Ed laughing" face on the front of the Mazda 3.

13. Kent

Kent Staff Emeritus

100kg?
    Me likey.
    Thats the sort of news that sparks my interest big time. Will definitely be reading more now. Gti could be looking really good shortly, would love to see focus st showdowns!

14. Dan_

Dan_ Premium

It's the bread and butter VW car, it is supposed to be subtle and discrete. I honestly like it.

The fact that is lighter and has a bigger footprint will only make the GTi version even better.

15. GranTurismo916

GranTurismo916

:indiff: I was expecting something to be different. It looks good, but it looks like the Mk6. Come on, VW.

16. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

It's a split decision here for me.

I like the move downward in weight. The loss of 220lbs will be noticeable across the range, and is a good sign that others will likely do the same with their next-generation vehicles. The move toward a 1.4L turbo a standard fare seems like a good idea as well, although they seem to be indicating that we might not get it as the standard engine here in North America. It would be disappointing, in my opinion. The continued use of the 2.0L 8V is inexcusable in a competitive market, and I've never really felt that the 2.5L I5 ever had a "place" of sorts among the others.

I would agree that the looks are generic, but I have to admit, the current Passat looks nice with the same face. As long as it looks better than the Jetta, it should do just fine. I'm interested to see what a lower-trim interior is going to look like. The cost-cutting in the Jetta really killed my interest in the car, but the same treatment in the Passat went over in a much more positive way.

Come Paris, we'll likely see what the major differential will be between this car, the Focus, Cruze, and Elantra will be. I know Volkswagen will have it finding it's place, but I am a bit worried that this won't capture the magic that VW has otherwise lost since 1999.

17. Doog

Doog Premium

Seems like the new trend is to shove the headlights and the grill down, making the entire front of the car look frumpy. It's also quite apparent on the Dodge Dart and the new 3-Series, and it makes them look frumpty-dumpty as well. Other than that, the rest of the Golf looks just fine, as always with Volkswagen, it's evolution over revolution. I just hope Volkswagen doesn't pull a Jetta and give America a cheapo version of the Golf. :nervous:

18. Denilson

Denilson Premium

+ 1 :tup:

* Lighter (100 kg is a lot)
    * Slightly wider (Good for cornering/handeling in general)
    * And as always, the next generation of top end engines, the GTi and R36 (?) will most likely also be more powerful.
    = A really fast and good handeling car compared to the MkVI. :tup:

19. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

You might say it's just like a Golf.

Can't complain about the weight reduction though. It's about time the Golf lost some flab.

Would I buy one? No. Volkswagen makes the Beetle and Scirocco, which are also just like a Golf, only not unutterably tedious.

20. Monatsende

Monatsende

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, something like a Golf.... Not only a face lift - it`s new!

21. Nero9

Nero9

The headlights and rearlights are more edgy, other than that... the exact same from the outside. Looks like VW hired a Porsche designer to do this one. :lol:

22. RocZX

RocZX Premium

From the side it looks similar to the mk4, but not exactly....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Brend

Brend Premium

The Rear-End looks great. Bit too A3'ish.

24. Ibonibo

Ibonibo Premium

It's a Golf, it will never be polarizing or extravagant. It's a Golf!

Also the similarities with the A3 comes in big steps from the new VAG plattform plan (this is MQB)

Never was a fan of the mkVI so this one is not my cup of tea either, but for a Golf it's OK. I like the front bumper design and the interior looks great

25. Doog

Doog Premium

Seeing that picture, I find it neat how Volkswagen's kept that little 'swish' in between the rear door and the hatch.

26. buickgnx88

buickgnx88 Premium

The one design cue that I can't stand, and is seen on the new Golf, is how the gap for the rear door doesn't follow the countour of the wheel well.

27. eiriksmil

eiriksmil

It's one of the Golf signature lines. But the other signature line, from the headlights to the top of the tails is missing, only previously done on the Mk4. The Mk7 is kinda trying but it's not quite the same. Apart from the rear hatch/tails which I think looks awkward, I'm warming up to this :cool:

28. RocZX

RocZX Premium

29. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

It definitely looks more refined over the previous one.

30. ITCC_Andrew

ITCC_Andrew (Banned)

"Excuse us while we put new rims on an old car, and sell it for ridiculous prices." -Volkswagen.

Unfortunately, my preferred nickname for Volkswagen is not AUP friendly, so I'll refrain from its use. Still, seriously, :yuck:.