Der neue Golf (Mk7)

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 98 comments
Sorry VW/Carscoops, but this isn't 'basically the street legal version of the TCR racer'. It's no more than a warmed over GTi with some TCR decals and different wheels. Do people actually fall for this lame marketing?
I mean, sometimes CPAs need to look like they are exciting.

What customers buy new Golfs? Out of those: who customise them? Out of those: who takes it to a track?

A 340hp fwd Golf, would cost a mint and likely, sit in showrooms. However, it is a good way to market TCR. When the Cruz was being sold here, The Holden dealership had clips of the WTCC car. To let customers know the car has a racing pedigree(along with the Commodore).

Golf SportWagon and Alltrack to be pulled from the US market after MY 2019 with no replacement in sight, due to poor sales and higher demand for CUVs. This will be the first time VW does not offer any wagons in it's lineup for the US market in 53 years.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/vw-golf-wagon-production-ending-in-u-s-with-2019my-cars/

I'm kind of bummed out to hear that VW, such a "wagon-rich" brand, will not sell them anymore here in the States, but in the same vain I'm not in the least bit surprised. VW USA has become a vanilla, dull brand that has lost virtually all of it's German charm and uniqueness (which it still had as recently as a decade ago), and instead trying desperately to be just like Toyota or Hyundai rather than staying true to their roots. Makes sense, I reluctantly admit, since sales>quality and identity, from a corporate standpoint, and VW has never been that strong of a seller in the US market. First they take away the 3-door Golf, then the Touareg, then the Beetle, and now all of the wagons? I would be surprised if the GTI is next, or they just quit offerings sedans altogether. The current Jetta is devoid of any personality and looks like a mashup of every other entry-level compact sedan, the current Passat is way long in the tooth (generation began in MY 2011 with only minor facelifts), the CUVs are lifeless (they could've at least brought the T-ROC and/or T-Cross here, which at least are somewhat cute), and the 2021 Golf is just, sad looking. I will give them credit though, they did hang on to the Jetta GLI, when I thought I was certain they'd drop it from the lineup once the new Jetta hit the showrooms.

Anyhow, now that these vehicles are ending production, the "basic wagon" niche in America is pretty much extinct. Or wagons as a whole, actually. The SportWagon may not have been a strong seller, but it's the only wagon sold here that's not luxury or "active-lifestyle" oriented, and was the cheapest wagon offered. The Alltrack, on the other hand, could've been a stronger seller and even dethrone the Subaru Outback if it hadn't been overpriced. Both could've been optioned with a 6-speed manual. Unless you want an Outback, the only wagons left in the states you could buy new are a few different Volvos, the Allroad, the E-Class, XF Sport-Brake (less than a thousand of those were sold last year, wow), and the Regal TourX, which i'm sure will be dropped in a year or so. And the Mini Clubman, if that counts. Half the variety of 10-15 years ago, though soon there will be even less.

Last edited:
Golf SportWagon and Alltrack to be pulled from the US market after MY 2019 with no replacement in sight, due to poor sales and higher demand for CUVs. This will be the first time VW does not offer any wagons in it's lineup for the US market in 53 years.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/vw-golf-wagon-production-ending-in-u-s-with-2019my-cars/

I'm kind of bummed out to hear that VW, such a "wagon-rich" brand, will not sell them anymore here in the States, but in the same vain I'm not in the least bit surprised. VW USA has become a vanilla, dull brand that has lost virtually all of it's German charm and uniqueness (which it still had as recently as a decade ago), and instead trying desperately to be just like Toyota or Hyundai rather than staying true to their roots. Makes sense, I reluctantly admit, since sales>quality and identity, from a corporate standpoint, and VW has never been that strong of a seller in the US market. First they take away the 3-door Golf, then the Touareg, then the Beetle, and now all of the wagons? I would be surprised if the GTI is next, or they just quit offerings sedans altogether. The current Jetta is devoid of any personality and looks like a mashup of every other entry-level compact sedan, the current Passat is way long in the tooth (generation began in MY 2011 with only minor facelifts), the CUVs are lifeless (they could've at least brought the T-ROC and/or T-Cross here, which at least are somewhat cute), and the 2021 Golf is just, sad looking. I will give them credit though, they did hang on to the Jetta GLI, when I thought I was certain they'd drop it from the lineup once the new Jetta hit the showrooms.

Anyhow, now that these vehicles are ending production, the "basic wagon" niche in America is pretty much extinct. Or wagons as a whole, actually. The SportWagon may not have been a strong seller, but it's the only wagon sold here that's not luxury or "active-lifestyle" oriented, and was the cheapest wagon offered. The Alltrack, on the other hand, could've been a stronger seller and even dethrone the Subaru Outback if it hadn't been overpriced. Both could've been optioned with a 6-speed manual. Unless you want an Outback, the only wagons left in the states you could buy new are a few different Volvos, the Allroad, the E-Class, XF Sport-Brake (less than a thousand of those were sold last year, wow), and the Regal TourX, which i'm sure will be dropped in a year or so. And the Mini Clubman, if that counts. Half the variety of 10-15 years ago, though soon there will be even less.

This makes me sad, but then again people don't really buy wagons anymore in the US, if i recall the new three series isn't getting a wagon in the states either.

This makes me sad, but then again people don't really buy wagons anymore in the US, if i recall the new three series isn't getting a wagon in the states either.
Yeah, I'm assuming that the 3-Series wagon won't be offered anymore in the USA once the new generation starts production.

Back