Der neue Golf (Mk7)

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 98 comments
Mk7 GTI "concept"

the new GTI will be powered by a retuned version of the company’s 2.0-liter TFSI turbo engine that will pump out 220 HP (162 kW). VW plans on offering an optional power package that adds 10 HP (7.3 kW).
The standard GTI will be able to perform the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint in 6.6 seconds, while the higher-power version will feature additional upgrades besides the power increase. Some of the extra goodies include a new electronic differential for better cornering and bigger brake discs. It promises to hit a top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).
WorldCarFans

48700398695631036.jpg

20179638432136794321.jpg

2197332501886980491.jpg

Note the traditional GTI red grille line now finding its way into the headlight clusters... nice detail.

Have to say, same-old Golf we've seen before it may well be, but it's still a handsome thing and a billion times more desirable than a Focus as a result. That said, my own cash would still be going on a Scirocco or Beetle instead, as they won't fade into the background like the Golf inevitably will.

Its a bit telling when I scroll down the page really fast, think we're doing some side by side shot of the new GTI versus the Mk 6 GTI only to discover its the Mk 7 I'm actually looking at.

Sounds good enough for me. No need to add much more power if you chopped off a bunch of weight instead.

Yup. An 'R' version is almost inevitable anyway for those who think a GTI is too wimpy. Still, the R won't get funky tartan seats or a red stripe around the grille, which is the whole reason to buy a GTI in the first place...

Not sure I'm too fond of the retro seats.

m1ny0c6b87mq.jpg

BTW, I read on a different website that the high powered version will not feature an electronic 'differential' (which is not a diff at all), but a real mechanical LSD. The base version comes with the XDS 'differential'.

I find it much more attractive over the Mk 6 and the GTI looks stunning. Can't make my mind up on the red grille line in the headlight though. My initial reaction is cool but I think I'd get bored of seeing it. And them seats look like really big booster seats. :ill:

The five-fork wheels on the white GTi are absolutely perfect. 👍

I wonder if Golf R20 will have same powertrain as new Audi S3 which produces 296bhp..

Golf R

Volkswagen-Golf-R-1%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Volkswagen-Golf-R-2%25255B3%25255D.jpg

The all-wheel-drive flagship Golf model sports a more aggressive body kit consisting of redesigned bumpers, new side sills, new 18- and 19-inch “Cadiz” alloy wheels and an air diffuser that integrates chrome dual tailpipes on each side.

Other new details found on the hot hatch include the darkened LED taillights and headlights, with the latter also featuring a new layout and lighting design (they also incorporate the DRLs). The matt chrome door mirror caps and black brake calipers round out the exterior changes.

Although VW hasn’t yet released photos of the interior yet, the company says the Golf R features an extensively customized and upgraded cabin, including front sport seats, optional Nappa-carbon leather package, R design instruments, redesigned radio and navigation systems and Car-Net – a series of new mobile online services.

Moving on to what’s most important about the Golf R, under the bonnet there’s the same engine from the Audi S3: a 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine developing 300PS (296hp) and 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) of torque, available from 1,800 to 5,500 rpm.

Power is sent to all four wheels via a fifth-generation Haldex coupling with the 4Motion system paired to a manual six-speed transmission as standard (a 6-speed DSG will be optionally available). The Golf R also has four electronic differential locks (EDS) integrated in the ESC that act as transverse locks, while XDS+ electronic differentials are fitted to the front and rear axles.

A sport suspension setup reduces ground clearance by 20mm (0.78in) compared to the standard Golf and 5mm (0.2in) over the Golf GTI. No performance figures were released, but VW said the 2.0-liter engine offers an average fuel economy of 6.9 l/100 km (34 US mpg) when mated to the DSG gearbox – that’s 18 percent better than its predecessor.

The Golf R will premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show and will arrive in Europe in the fourth quarter of this year. Prices in Germany start from €38,325 ($51,325). U.S. sales should start within the next year or so.

CarScoops

In profile it looks like the M135i. It sure has taken them a long time to finally get accelerations numbers close to an EVO VIII MR.

Aww man. It's in the wrong Forum :(

Ok, thanks you two. Don't know why the video doesn't work. Unless its this ipad. I'll start using the desktop to post vids.

Doesn't look too bad (could do with a change of Rims) and the front is a bit Meh.
the 03 R32 still is best looking one for me.

In profile it looks like the M135i. It sure has taken them a long time to finally get accelerations numbers close to an EVO VIII MR.

And it's taken Mitsubishi even longer to build an interior that isn't a comparable Kinder surprise to a Golf's :P.

Despite the drivetrain similarities, I don't think many people really see them as direct rivals; the old mkIV R32 was often considered a sort of massively composed GT-style car in a hatch body, not the out-and-out performance-at-all costs the Japanese rally ruffians tend to be about.

Meet the new Golf.

Same as the old Golf.
It's like comparing the new 911 to the old 911. LOL!
Why are VW's boring now(asthetically)? I like the looks of the previous gen models. They are good cars but they just look so dull now.

You'd think they'd at least liven up the Golf R a bit. I get the concept of the GTI looking like a pedestrian hatchback, but you'd think the top of the line model would at least look the part. I mean, if I wanted to buy a Golf up here in Canuckistan it's over 40 grand. I don't know too many people who want a $40,000 car that's indistinguishable from a vanilla Golf.

Wow they made the Golf look even cheaper and blander. Looks like a Polo. Gosh considering cars are getting more excitingly styled in that segment who would buy this?

The only VW I have ever found interesting is the New Beetle and to some extent the Phaeton. All the rest ...boring.

I remember seeing my first 4-door Golf in a UK magazine back in the '80s. I felt that would never sell in the states. Only the base Rabbit came in 4-door. The rest of the world thought otherwise.

Renault has done the same with the Clio. Focus, the same.

I'd still prefer a more upright grill and still wish the twilight were like the Mk6 Golf R. That instrument/infotainment setup is trick though.

Back