Derek Speare Designs - Button Boxes - Shifters - Great Gear

• Thread starter derekspeare
  • 1,567 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to say: got my shifter today 👍

Very quick service and an excellent product. I now need to engineer a mounting solution for my rig (got an idea in mind, just need to CAD it up).

Thanks Derek. :)

Just want to say: got my shifter today 👍

Very quick service and an excellent product. I now need to engineer a mounting solution for my rig (got an idea in mind, just need to CAD it up).

Thanks Derek. :)

Sweet...maybe mine will turn up tomorrow ;) (was it Royal Mail?)

Got my shifter today...but I am going to ask a silly question.

On the unit there's 3 bolts, are only the top 2 for mounting (I guess they are as they're doubled up). If so does that mean the bottom bolt is used for stiffness adjustment, if there is any, or purely for holding it together ;)

Got my shifter today...but I am going to ask a silly question.

On the unit there's 3 bolts, are only the top 2 for mounting (I guess they are as they're doubled up). If so does that mean the bottom bolt is used for stiffness adjustment, if there is any, or purely for holding it together ;)

Not wanting to step on Derek's toes here but I think the bottom bolt is acting as the pivot for the lever? :)

I assume it's not designed to be adjustable.
I'm a great believer in 'no such thing as a dumb question' :D

It's not a dumb question mate :lol: I don't have the shifter in front of me at the moment and I didn't give it more than a quick look when I opened it. It may well be adjustable 👍

Over to you Derek... :)

Hello race fans - please do not remove the lower pivot bolt or attempt to make adjustments to the shifter. The upper two bolts are for mounting. Please see this diagram:

PROflange_1_1-1.jpg

profilewithmount.png

You can use the lower bolt for mounting PROVIDED that you use the upper two. The lower bolt threads are 5/16" x 18TPI and you need to use a coupling nut to mount in that manner. The upper bolts are 1/4" x 20.

Cheers!

ds

NB - the top diagram needs to be revised to indicate that the upper two nuts against the shifter case are to be secured firmly. The shifter has been revised 4 times since I made that diagram, and all shifters are internally reinforced with 4 stainless steel pins to give it fail-safe rigidity.

Some customer photos:

ThomasPomatico.jpg

Russell-Aus.jpg

ISR.png

GeorgePilkington.jpg

DannyBouwes-Netherlands-1.jpg

Brett-Aus.jpg

Colin-US.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

1107551.jpg

1107550.jpg

20110930200511796.jpg

Attachments

• cockpit builders template - pro seq.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 3point drilling template.pdf
    7.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm happy to do it. My customers have developed some effective and inexpensive mounting ideas!

I hope HMRP brings you something good soon!!!

d

My mount is temporary as I'm about to re-do my rig..
I simply loosened the mounting nuts and locking nut, slid the shifter into a spare length of aluminium profile I had (the nuts are perfect size to fit in the track) and tightened it up with allen key ;)

The thing's a monster ;) although I have a problem I'm trying to find the answer to..and that's why I couldn't use it in GTR Evolution. The shifter's fine of course, I set it in the controller options but it wouldn't let me use it in the DTM Merc I wanted to try. I'd like someone to tell me it's because of something simple like the car doesn't have Seq in real life or something??

002_2012-06-16.JPG

Just ordered my T500 adapter. Really looking forward to using my 330mm suede rim with it!

I really don't understand why you use a wheel with a maggior diameter! it kills the ffb of the steering wheel!you will lose about 20-25% of ffb,believe me because i had tested it with my G27.

Personal preference. If you've used the T500 you'd know it's more than capable. I stay away from it when I've been working out as it will pull a muscle easily, and has done on the highest ffb setting

I really don't understand why you use a wheel with a maggior diameter! it kills the ffb of the steering wheel!you will lose about 20-25% of ffb,believe me because i had tested it with my G27.

The G27 has about 1/2 the FFB strength of the T500RS.

I would assume for some people and my own reasons for also wanting such is to experience one that is sized, feels and looks authentic.

The T500RS rim is very easily marked as most owners will know but their are of course trade off's in doing this. FFB may be reduced to the original, wheel rotation of rim will be slower, no "rumble motors" in a real rim or button nither, larger diameter makes it harder to reach paddles so extenders or sequential or H gears may be required. For console usage it presents perhaps more problems with the button issue but not one with an impossible d.i.y solution.

For many if they want to replicate more the real experience then chances are they will replicate the gears that type of car uses also, so the paddles may not be an issue.

Finally do not forget that these are designed to easily swap over it is NOT a permament change.

I have a review of this coming with a rather expensive but gorgeous "Momo Trek" 350mm rim. It may be just too big but we shall see. Might even try to team up with Carson and showcase his nice 330mm rim with it also...

What you rekon mate?

I believe their are some variables presented in changing the rim. I have given it a lot of consideration, and believe I might have a solution to some of the things you brought up. I decided to go with the 330mm for a good reason which I'm sure we can keep for your review. It may all go according to plan and it may not, this is also my reason for only spending £50 on my rim, as I see this as an experiment. And as you say mate this is not a permanent change, but more another option. We could put our heads together certainly buddy!

Yeah, though Im going to talk to Derek regards his new 350mm "Wheel Plate" which he's finishing.
Quote: " I'm still developing this one, but it's 95% complete. SLI Pro and M support."
Need help with knowing what all is needed to include buttons and SLI-Pro etc.

Bit like the recent superb Momo mod a member from "i-racing" done which "Wildrun" showed in the T500RS thread.

Edit:
Achieve something like this one:
4BdSL.jpg

Then do a nicely detailed photo review.

Last edited:
Yeah I've been waiting to see what he has in the pipe line, I asked about Button boxes for PS3 he said something like, wait and see I've a couple of Idea's already. I know the one on the T500RS thread you mean, it was nice

The G27 has about 1/2 the FFB strength of the T500RS.

I would assume for some people and my own reasons for also wanting such is to experience one that is sized, feels and looks authentic.

The T500RS rim is very easily marked as most owners will know but their are of course trade off's in doing this. FFB may be reduced to the original, wheel rotation of rim will be slower, no "rumble motors" in a real rim or button nither, larger diameter makes it harder to reach paddles so extenders or sequential or H gears may be required. For console usage it presents perhaps more problems with the button issue but not one with an impossible d.i.y solution.

For many if they want to replicate more the real experience then chances are they will replicate the gears that type of car uses also, so the paddles may not be an issue.

Finally do not forget that these are designed to easily swap over it is NOT a permament change.

I have a review of this coming with a rather expensive but gorgeous "Momo Trek" 350mm rim. It may be just too big but we shall see. Might even try to team up with Carson and showcase his nice 330mm rim with it also...

What you rekon mate?
Ok,can't wait to read your review!
Now i'm working in my new Cockpit with a triple screen(for rF2 and hopely GTR3:nervous:) then i will upgrade my G27 to the CSR-E and in this case maybe i will switch to some after-market steering wheel!

Hi Derek.
I will make the order of the Pro-shifter this weekend(i think fridy or saturday),when can you ship it ?
thanks

Hi Derek.
I will make the order of the Pro-shifter this weekend(i think fridy or saturday),when can you ship it ?
thanks

Hi - I can't predict that, and I'm sure you understand. Orders made for shifters today will ship by June 21st. Most likely by this weekend it will be July 3rd.

The wait time for shifters is about 10 days on average. Boxes are about 21 days on average. I'm not far when needed :gtpflag::gtpflag:

Hi guys.
what is the distance(in cm) between the 2 upper drilling of the pro-shifter?
thanks

The Derek Speare Pro Sequential shifter is the most realistic shifter I have ever used. It is solid and it is heavy. When you feel how much force it takes to shift it you know it is no toy like so many shifters on the market. It feels like it is right out of the Corvette C6R.

z005.jpg

(I'm sorry but I had to do it)- Except the C6R, at least since last season, has moved onto paddle shifter. There are very few GT race cars nowadays that still use stick sequential.

The Riley Prototype, Cadillac, Ford GT, Mustang, Ford Falcon, Radical SR8, Corvette, Lotus 79 are a few on the Road side that still use Sequential shifters for iRacing and I believe the new Ruff does as well.

Just wanted to say to anyone considering Derek's T500 adapter it is a very simple job to detach the original and connect his adapter to your new rim. Their are some really nice rims available out their too enhancing the look feel over the original.

350mm does feel a little big with the rim I put on and puts the paddles at the extremes, still reachable though. Yet it is something that can be accustomed to and might suit more for rally etc. 330cm size may be the best balance in a rim.

I still think a guide would be handy in the future as it is easy to get confused with further products/options like wheel plates, SLI M or Pro also what about switches, dials etc.

So Derek awaiting info on the 350 plate or could a 330 plate be okay?

Hi guys.
what is the distance(in cm) between the 2 upper drilling of the pro-shifter?
thanks

Please see this post here in this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7218992#post7218992

I attached a couple of files with the dimensions of the shifter. :) :)

@ Mr Latte - I have am considering other ideas for aftermarket wheels and efforts to preserve the on-wheel functions one loses when using other wheel options.

Cheers to everyone and happy racing!

d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back