Destiny 2

• Thread starter Katiegan
  • 320 comments
It is a brilliant first person shooter with questionable long term grind fest mechanics and a poor loot shooter loop. New Light is free. You only have to buy the last couple of updates so you get the base game and first two expansions for free.
Is the campaign any good? I only play singleplayer games.

Base campaign isn't bad, the second one is smaller but has a good boss battle and the third one is four missions. The last of which is the best boss battle in Destiny by miles and miles. After that you can patrol all you like doing local bounties and such like and there are weapon quests, but the real meat of the game at that point are multiplayer events.

If you bought the later expansions - forsaken is a plenty of fun series of boss battles and the latest is something I don't have an opinion on as I haven't completed it.

Is the campaign any good? I only play singleplayer games.

Short answer - yes, and it is free just learn how to find the campaigns as they game does not direct you to them.

Long answer
Yes, get the free version and then once you get through the first intro mission and get to "The tower", ignore everything it tells you to do and go find the NPC name Amanda Holloway. She will give you the single player campaigns, play them in order.

Its free to play through the original campaign and the 1st and 2nd DLCs. If you still want more after that, then you can start learning more about what the game is about.

I play mostly solo (limitations on being able to play with full attention due to young child) and a lot of the content after the campaigns is easily done solo.

Short answer - yes, and it is free just learn how to find the campaigns as they game does not direct you to them.

Long answer
Yes, get the free version and then once you get through the first intro mission and get to "The tower", ignore everything it tells you to do and go find the NPC name Amanda Holloway. She will give you the single player campaigns, play them in order.

Its free to play through the original campaign and the 1st and 2nd DLCs. If you still want more after that, then you can start learning more about what the game is about.

I play mostly solo (limitations on being able to play with full attention due to young child) and a lot of the content after the campaigns is easily done solo.
You can also do the moon campaign without buying it. I've got as far as I can go on my Xbox one. I can't do the strike part as I don't have gold but I could do everything up to that point.

Epic fun Titan build.

Synthoceps.
Imperial Decree shotgun with Grave Robber and Trench Barrel.
Python shotgun with Overflow and One-Two Punch.
Tractor Canon.

Epic fun Titan build.

Synthoceps.
Imperial Decree shotgun with Grave Robber and Trench Barrel.
Python shotgun with Overflow and One-Two Punch.
Tractor Canon.

That means I'd have to go into Gambit to get Python. Yeah, no. I'd rather try slogging to 5500 in Comp three times in a single week.

That means I'd have to go into Gambit to get Python. Yeah, no. I'd rather try slogging to 5500 in Comp three times in a single week.
Comp? COMP! The thing I do three matches a week so I get a bonus the following Tuesday. That Comp?

I got the Gambit hush bow to all the kills and got the SMG in the last week of season 8 and the shotgun in one day but still haven't got all the medals to get hush...

I don't have Recluse though and now I'm making ever so slow progress towards Redrix Broadsword.

Comp? COMP! The thing I do three matches a week so I get a bonus the following Tuesday. That Comp?

I got the Gambit hush bow to all the kills and got the SMG in the last week of season 8 and the shotgun in one day but still haven't got all the medals to get hush...

I don't have Recluse though and now I'm making ever so slow progress towards Redrix Broadsword.

Redrix is going to take you a while. It's the easiest quest, but it's a real grind. I could have finished it last season, but after so much PvP then I just couldn't bear any more. :lol:

The hardest (read: stupidest) part of the quest is the five resets because that's what you're really working toward. Everything else is just tasks along the way.

I'm not going to do it then. I think the requirements for the ritual weapons is more sensible as a game loop.

Anyone get to rank 100+ in Dawning yet? I decided to grind it out and am at 88 now which is pretty good considering the limited amount of play time I have. It was a lot of fun with the new content until about rank 75 then it started to feel old. Just doing minimal now by doing the bounties that reward the most xp with the time I have.

Likely won't ever grind one out again if this is how they will continue to be. Other activities need to reward more season rank XP so you don't feel you need to go collect bounties each day and get them done first (if you are trying to grind out the ranks).

100? Last week at some point. You can credit the Christmas holiday for that though. The last battle pass wasn't as easy but I could still get two levels a day just doing gunsmith bounties together with the relevant planetary bounties with all three characters. This time, because of the gunsmith extra bounties, it was much easier to do with one character.

100? Last week at some point. You can credit the Christmas holiday for that though. The last battle pass wasn't as easy but I could still get two levels a day just doing gunsmith bounties together with the relevant planetary bounties with all three characters. This time, because of the gunsmith extra bounties, it was much easier to do with one character.

Yeah it got really quick at the end I hit 100 some time ago. I am only playing a little maybe an hour or so a week now getting ready for a move and have 3 month old child. The move will eventually get me off destiny 2 and normal games and back to racing sims. After a year+ in our current living situation where I had no space, I will be able to setup my wheel & stand again in our new place.

Stacking Saint-14, Gunsmith, Holiday, and Moon bounties with the XP bonuses.. season xp went really fast.

That puzzle maze thing was nuts, I didn't even bother trying it. :dunce:

Yeah it got really quick at the end I hit 100 some time ago. I am only playing a little maybe an hour or so a week now getting ready for a move and have 3 month old child. The move will eventually get me off destiny 2 and normal games and back to racing sims. After a year+ in our current living situation where I had no space, I will be able to setup my wheel & stand again in our new place.

Stacking Saint-14, Gunsmith, Holiday, and Moon bounties with the XP bonuses.. season xp went really fast.

That puzzle maze thing was nuts, I didn't even bother trying it. :dunce:
I tried it for one attempt and it wasn't worth it at all.

I tried it for one attempt and it wasn't worth it at all.
?? It's 19 short runs to get to another run to get the next stage followed by a final 30 code run which will be ended next Tuesday so if you don't do it now you won't be able to do it later. There is an exotic weapon quest and this is the first stage for this.

You also have to have done the quests to unlock saint 14 and you have to do the final 30 step run with the same character you used to unlock him.

?? It's 19 short runs to get to another run to get the next stage followed by a final 30 code run which will be ended next Tuesday so if you don't do it now you won't be able to do it later. There is an exotic weapon quest and this is the first stage for this.

You also have to have done the quests to unlock saint 14 and you have to do the final 30 step run with the same character you used to unlock him.
I was told the exotic quest was being reworked and won't include puzzle maze.

Thread Resurrection from page 3.

I finally got Recluse. It is nice and stable for a 900 but seriously there is nothing special about it. The nerf must have hurt. A lot.

I also completed two black forge quests and now have an exotic that poisons the target and a cute little Fusion rifle that tracks. I like it.

I finally got Recluse. It is nice and stable for a 900 but seriously there is nothing special about it. The nerf must have hurt. A lot.

The nerf hit its bodyshot damage more than anything. Before it did roughly the same on body as it did when hitting crits. Now, it's more of a precision-focused weapon. It's more noticeable on console than on PC because, you know, what's aim assist?

If you don't think it's anything special, try this: go up to a shielded enemy (any shield, it really doesn't matter) and break said shield. Now, break the shield again but this time use the correct element. Recluse will melt any shield faster than matching its element, and the buff is stupid. I love it. :lol:

Was it better before the nerf? Yes. Is it very noticeable? If you're on console, it's not really noticeable because, again, it still melts. If you're on PC, it's basically: "Wait, it was nerfed?"

The nerf hit its bodyshot damage more than anything. Before it did roughly the same on body as it did when hitting crits. Now, it's more of a precision-focused weapon. It's more noticeable on console than on PC because, you know, what's aim assist?

If you don't think it's anything special, try this: go up to a shielded enemy (any shield, it really doesn't matter) and break said shield. Now, break the shield again but this time use the correct element. Recluse will melt any shield faster than matching its element, and the buff is stupid. I love it. :lol:

Was it better before the nerf? Yes. Is it very noticeable? If you're on console, it's not really noticeable because, again, it still melts. If you're on PC, it's basically: "Wait, it was nerfed?"
Same for me on both PS4 and PC. I use a controller on both.

Same for me on both PS4 and PC. I use a controller on both.

Even if you're not good with KBnM, use it just for this example. It and every other SMG (all weapons, really) do not move. Laser beams for days.

Yay for me. I've got Lumina today. Still haven't got Thorn though. Now for the catalyst, which is what motivated me getting it in the first place.

Edit. Catalyst found in the first Gambit match I did.

Last edited:
Thread page 3 save. Bungie in a TWAB indicated year 4,5,6 for D2. That means no D3 any time soon.

Thread page 3 save again.

News. D2 will get 4K 60 on next gen consoles and will be free to get on PS5 if you have the PS4 version.

Thread page 3 save again.

News. D2 will get 4K 60 on next gen consoles and will be free to get on PS5 if you have the PS4 version.
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to improved load times more than anything.

Eks
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to improved load times more than anything.
They are removing every location from the first year of the game except the EDZ and Nessus. Only the Tangled Shore onwards stays in the game once the Autumn "expansion" drops.

They are removing every location from the first year of the game except the EDZ and Nessus. Only the Tangled Shore onwards stays in the game once the Autumn "expansion" drops.

From what I was seeing on Reddit they plan to rotate the year 1 content that is being removed, or at least that is how I understood their posts. Makes me wonder what people like me who haven't completed the raids for catalysts will be able to do. I'd really like the Telesto and Izagani's catalysts but seems I'll have to really try to setup some runs this season.

So what do we all think about the update and stream, I’m fgggkin hyped for the future and September update, expansion. If anyone wants to add me please do Senator2655 PS4 and I have Xbox too just need live Senator 265 Xbox and have D1 and D2 and still love to go back to D1

From what I was seeing on Reddit they plan to rotate the year 1 content that is being removed, or at least that is how I understood their posts. Makes me wonder what people like me who haven't completed the raids for catalysts will be able to do. I'd really like the Telesto and Izagani's catalysts but seems I'll have to really try to setup some runs this season.
They said that exotics were still going to be available by other means, so I would reckon the catalysts will be as well. They seem pretty adamant that they're not going to lock out the ability to gain any existing weapons or items, and I see they already made it so the cryptarch has some exotics available for purchase (at appropriately ridiculous cost).

They also said that they want to update the shuffled-out worlds to reflect what's going on in the storyline, so I'm guessing they may plan to bring them back one at a time as seasonal locations in the future. Though I wonder if they're going to do another live event to see the old locations off... they've already put some rather ominous looking things on all four of them.

Page 5 Resurrection time.

Bungee TWAB confirming what staying and going.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/49454

That's a lot of stuff people bought and is now being taken away from them. :crazy:

I didn't have Worldline Zero, and since it takes 5 weeks to finish the catalyst, I thought I'd better get it before it's gone. I spent Saturday morning shooting glowing round things on Mars and once I had 35 I got the sword from from the cashe in the lost sector and the afternoon getting the catalyst. Now it is 20% complete after landing damage with it on the stage 7 EP boss.

Last edited:
Page 12 Resurrection time. Clearly no one plays this anymore.

Massive reveal of the next expansion was released on YouTube.

Page 12 Resurrection time. Clearly no one plays this anymore.

Massive reveal of the next expansion was released on YouTube.
Yeah, Stopped playing a while ago. I think I got burnt out on it, with the constant daily grinding. I liked year one of D2 from a grinding standpoint. I didn't have to play everyday for long hours to get things I want. May have changed now, but I still don't see myself going back to D2.

Back