Devel Sixteen ("5,000HP, TOP SPEED 348MPH")

How compounded would the kg of downforce be at 350Mph?

Surely that would have to be in consideration.

Regardless of its power output if its making a certain level of downforce(no idea what that is)I just cant see it making the speed, wouldn't the kg of push compound faster then the power required to go faster?

You could make a sailboat go 350mph if you had enough power. And this thing isn't lacking for power. I sincerely doubt this car will ever reach 350mph due to a myriad of issues, but the power to drag ratio is probably sufficient. Remember Top Fuel dragsters are not exactly the most aerodynamic creations of man, but they routinely do 330mph in about 4 seconds.

You could make a sailboat go 350mph if you had enough power. And this thing isn't lacking for power. I sincerely doubt this car will ever reach 350mph due to a myriad of issues, but the power to drag ratio is probably sufficient. Remember Top Fuel dragsters are not exactly the most aerodynamic creations of man, but they routinely do 330mph in about 4 seconds.

And this has more than half the power of a Methanol breathing Top Fuel monster. Gotta hand it to them, we were laughing in 2013. Hope they can get a working prototype out in the next couple years.

I sincerely doubt this car will ever reach 350mph due to a myriad of issues...

The fact that if the driver breathes heavily the unintended acceleration will put him into a tree? :P

I think it'll be lucky if it makes it three blocks from the factory without being totalled.

And this has more than half the power of a Methanol breathing Top Fuel monster. Gotta hand it to them, we were laughing in 2013. Hope they can get a working prototype out in the next couple years.
Alcohol dragsters and funny cars reach about 250 mph with little downforce and ~3500 hp. Top fuel dragsters and funny cars (top fuel = nitromethane, not methanol) reach 330 with 6000 pounds of downforce, i.e. an unfathomable drag coefficient, and around 10,000 hp.

I don't feel like busting out any aero math right now but as you go faster aerodynamic drag increases exponentially, and therefore the power required to defeat it does as well.

This thing went 350+ with 2,500 horses and a drag coefficient of only .19:

d422448dd7202c1477e44ebd1b64b120.jpg

Last edited:
I don't feel like busting out any aero math right now but as you go faster aerodynamic drag increases exponentially, and therefore the power required to defeat it does as well.

It's worse than that isn't it... different exponents. Drag squares, and Power to overcome drag cubes?

I could be wrong..... need more caffeine.

It's worse than that isn't it... different exponents. Drag squares, and Power to overcome drag cubes?

I could be wrong..... need more caffeine.
It's really the same thing though, because Power = Force*Velocity

It only looks that bad because we measure drag in force and engine performance in power. We could do the opposite, or any combination.

You could make a sailboat go 350mph if you had enough power. And this thing isn't lacking for power. I sincerely doubt this car will ever reach 350mph due to a myriad of issues, but the power to drag ratio is probably sufficient.

I'd say the biggest issue is where on earth could it go to reach 350mph? Hennessey Venoms and Bugatti Veyrons required coldwar era airfields or private test tracks to reach their 250+mph's. And they were pushing the boundaries of running out of room then. A salt flat maybe? - that brings up it's own set of problems, least of all tyres. Which tyre manufacturer will produce tyres that would be safe at that speed?

If its Supposed to be a road car the tyre situation looks Impossible.

My Guess is the Attempt will happen on a Wide Flat and Smooth UAE Highway which it is filled with.

The Driver would have to be Someone like Pastrana or something because I doubt anyone else would be willing to risk their life for something like that.

Road and Track spent some time looking at the Steve Morris built V16 that is supposed to power this thing should it actually be built (may be NSFW due to some language). That article could be found here.

Tyres shmyres, the thing looks like it'll be ripped apart by the airflow. That's how shoddy it looks in the pictures on page 1 at least :lol:

Okay, so the engine's real and can churn out plenty of power. I'm still calling BS on the speed claim due to the aero complexities and tyre stress to be able to put 3,000+hp to the ground.

Saw this today. Can't believe people don't realize how much is wrong with this car, but that's the Internet for you. Aside from no tires being able to handle that speed, the tires that ARE on the car are fitted backwards. That'll sure help with channeling out water.
image.png

Engine that are tuned up that heavily wont last long.

I'd rather have a 1000ish HP that last long for years in everyday use than 5000 HP that last only for several days.

Engine that are tuned up that heavily wont last long.

I'd rather have a 1000ish HP that last long for years in everyday use than 5000 HP that last only for several days.

It will last several days, considering it wouldn't run the 5000hp all the time. There is a video on the engine build and the people who actually did it are some of the best around. Too bad that the same thing cant be said about those designing the actual car and working the physics behind it all.

It still remains ugly. They should make reliable version of Cerbera Speed 12, lightweight crazy power road going race car. I think this would look better in different colour

Saw this today. Can't believe people don't realize how much is wrong with this car, but that's the Internet for you. Aside from no tires being able to handle that speed, the tires that ARE on the car are fitted backwards. That'll sure help with channeling out water. View attachment 517962

Nothing makes you trust the manufacturer of a 5000HP car more than when they fit the tires on backwards.

It will last several days, considering it wouldn't run the 5000hp all the time. There is a video on the engine build and the people who actually did it are some of the best around. Too bad that the same thing cant be said about those designing the actual car and working the physics behind it all.
You have a point there for sure. Steve Morris and his crew are legends in the extreme performance engine business. I've lost count of how many 2,000 plus hp builds he's done, and that's completely ignoring the two Drag Week winning engines he built for Tom Bailey. Those things will last, which while the car won't, they could at least be parted out when the cars fall apart and have a second life into something actually good. I also thought I heard Steve at some point say he wanted to do a full tilt race engine and see just how far he could push the setup at some point regardless of whether or not the Sixteen becomes something other than vaporware.

Perhaps the tyres are on the right way round and what we suspect to be the front of it, is actually the rear? (with cool rear wheel steering feature that they haven't mentioned) Who knows, or dares to ask?

They actually went and made the engine...
Or what appears to be an engine, anyway. It could just as easily be foam/clay/wood/wax/plastic dressed to look like an engine with a few legitimate parts (turbochargers, etc) thrown on to make it that much more convincing.

Or what appears to be an engine, anyway. It could just as easily be foam/clay/wood/wax/plastic dressed to look like an engine with a few legitimate parts (turbochargers, etc) thrown on to make it that much more convincing.
It's a real deal engine. Steve Morris isn't a guy that would put his name on the line for a fake engine that doesn't exist. Road and Track actually did an article on the engine a while ago. It's also the only one in existence, and it happened to be apart when they looked at it, but it is indeed a real deal one-off build just for the "car".

It's a real deal engine. Steve Morris isn't a guy that would put his name on the line for a fake engine that doesn't exist. Road and Track actually did an article on the engine a while ago. It's also the only one in existence, and it happened to be apart when they looked at it, but it is indeed a real deal one-off build just for the "car".
Fair enough, but I still can't take the whole package with anything other than a grain of salt.

Back