Development on the Next Forza Motorsport Game Enters Second Sprint

Yes the develope games faster than polyphony digital. But they have taken some lazy ways like copypaste car sounds that should not sound alike.
PD Also seem to do higher quality models thats why it has less content. PD team is also smaller than t10 team. They both makes the Biggest and best racing games out there. It will be intresting to see fm8 and gt7 for next big racing titles

I heard this during the stream and didn't really think much of it since they didn't mention how many sprints there were. It's like saying you're 100 miles into a road trip and neglecting to mention the grand total of miles involved.

But they have taken some lazy ways like copypaste car sounds that should not sound alike

I'm hoping that was largely due to the time constraints put on them. Hopefully now that they are being given a broader development window they won't have to take as many shortcuts.

If FM8 is going to be a launch title and coming out around 4th quarter 2020, I would have hoped it had been in production a lot longer. If every other game has had a 2 year development, then how will FM8 be any different. I honestly thought they were spending an extra year on FM8, partly forced by the new console and to makes sure it isn't a dud like FM5/7 (at launch anyway). I wonder if Motorsport will be '21 and Horizon 5 will be at launch since it sells more.

I wonder if Motorsport will be '21 and Horizon 5 will be at launch since it sells more.

When FH4 launched Playground revealed that their intention was to support the game for years. To me that sounds like they didn't expect to launch the next game in 2020, because between the lines that slot was reserved for FM8 facing a longer development time than usual.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I really hope they’re reworking some of the car models. The S15, R32 and just about every other JDM staple car looks horrendous, and I find it surprising that they’ve yet to touch these considering how immensely popular they are within today’s car culture.

I think it’s quite sad seeing as just a few years ago, the Forza franchise was killing it in the model department.

Yeah Forza 8 is 2021 at the earliest, maybe even 2022.

FM7 came out in 2017. It's unlikely they are going to take a full FIVE years between games.

I'd say we are looking at fall 2021 at the latest, not earliest. As for money, I'd probably split my bet between fall 2020 and fall 2021 - depending on how comprehensive of an "evolution" the next game is planned to be - and maybe put a single penny on any time past that window.

I would be surprised if FM8 isn't a launch title to boost the next Xbox in 2020 in sales. @ShakesMcQueen imo, is on the money with his time frame.

Having Forza and Halo as launch titles would certainly be a full court press for Scarlett early on, but I think it depends on the release timeframes for other stuff they have in the pipeline. Phil Spencer has made a note of saying he's happy with their expanded first-party, because it lets them give teams like Turn10 and 343 Industries more time to make the game they truly want, rather than being pressed for time.

With that in mind, I think 2021 is probably where I'd lean slightly right now for FM8. 2022 is way too long, however.

We won’t have to becouse we will have gran turismo with a full vr experince.

Is the rosetta stone that explains how these two things are connected buried on Mars somewhere?

Oh, and you were talking bollocks earlier about Turn 10 having a larger dev team. Last public information for both was that Turn 10 had around 100 people (circa 2014), and PD employed around 170.

I would be surprised if FM8 isn't a launch title to boost the next Xbox in 2020 in sales. @ShakesMcQueen imo, is on the money with his time frame.
It literally started development this month, 2020 isn't happening, they are in concept phase which means the actual development hasn't even started, this is gonna take a while.

Having Forza and Halo as launch titles would certainly be a full court press for Scarlett early on
It's important to note that Halo Infinite will be on Xbox One and PC as well, it's not gonna be full on nextgen and will probably have crossplay across all devices plus possibly playable on mobile through Xcloud if that services launches by that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised if I would like fm8 over pc2, Not to mention pc3.

Pc2 is basically a masterpiece. I don't see how FM or PD can compete anymore. And I'm a big gran turismo fan.

It literally started development this month, 2020 isn't happening, they are in concept phase which means the actual development hasn't even started, this is gonna take a while.
Speaking in their latest Forza Monthly update, Creative Director Dan Greenawalt confirmed that Forza Motorsport 8 is in early development, in the concept phases- which probably means that we won’t be seeing a new Forza release this year, and that Forza 8 is most likely going to be a next gen title.

“The weight of the team is shifting over to our next project,” said Greenwalt. “So we’re getting into that concept phase.”
https://gamingbolt.com/forza-motorsport-8-is-in-early-development-turn-10-studios-confirms

This was back in March, and Dan had also said that the team began that transition months prior, so likely before 2019.

There's also been shared statements on the official forums that T10 would be taking a year off in the Motorsport franchise, which would coincide with a 2020 release. Given the studio's vast collection of cars that have already been modeled higher than the in-game visuals allow combined with many assets being outsourced, I fail to see how a 2020 Holiday release at its earliest is beyond the means of accomplishment.

Was a bit disappointed with this past Friday's stream with Dan. Brian asked the community to ask Dan questions, naturally he knows what kind of questions will pop up, (more tracks, how cars are going to be handled, new modes, etc)......Brian then says "guys, we can't talk about XYZ because its only on Sprint 2". I mean, what do you expect the community to ask then when Dan is on? :rolleyes:

Dan did seem to focus on team alot, I hope that doesn't mean some sort of "forced" team component to single player. That's something best left for multiplayer.

As for release, I doubt it will be a launch title, Halo is good enough. Nintendo and Sony spread out its first party releases, so I don't see why MS wouldn't do the same.

Forza 7 is still a buggy mess to this very day, AVG and Avast make it stutter, and has other graphic bugs and inconsistencies on the car models.
Sprint... so it will be rushed, thats bad news.

https://gamingbolt.com/forza-motorsport-8-is-in-early-development-turn-10-studios-confirms

This was back in March, and Dan had also said that the team began that transition months prior, so likely before 2019.

There's also been shared statements on the official forums that T10 would be taking a year off in the Motorsport franchise, which would coincide with a 2020 release. Given the studio's vast collection of cars that have already been modeled higher than the in-game visuals allow combined with many assets being outsourced, I fail to see how a 2020 Holiday release at its earliest is beyond the means of accomplishment.
Even 3 years isn't enough to produce a full on next gen title, let a alone a supposed reinvention of the franchise. It took them 2 years to implement any sort of penalties in multiplayer and even then it's barely working. I wouldn't call T10 a team with fast development, the only reason they pushed games so quickly is because there haven't been any major new features since Forza 3, it's literally the exact same game every time except with new tracks and cars added which are handled by indian and vietnamese workers instead of T10 themselves. I hope the new game is the most ambitious they've don, because the decline in sales is sharp and even in X360 era it wasn't the best selling series.

Even 3 years isn't enough to produce a full on next gen title

What? The games have released bi-annually like clockwork across three console generations, and depending on the quality of stuff like their can scans, they won't be starting from scratch. Three years is absolutely enough time to produce a next-gen game if they want to. The question is how much of a "re-invention" of the series FM8 is intended to be (a word that seems like it has been bandied about more by fans than the devs themselves), or if it'll be more of the ongoing evolution we've seen since the first game.

As for sales, ignoring the fact that we don't actually have hard data on that - they don't exist in a vacuum. The 360 was a far more successful console than the Xbox One, and you need an install base to sell software to. Sales data also more and more doesn't take into account digital sales, which are imminently expected to eclipse physical sales.

This has also been the first full console generation that Forza Horizon has been around for (releasing one year before FM5), giving more casual racing fans another choice besides Motorsport - and that series has seen huge sales growth, ultimately eclipsing classic Forza.

To get back to the topic at hand, I actually hope they take four years to really build a new foundation for Forza, but there's a near-zero chance they take five years, and they could absolutely make a new next-gen game in three.

To get back to the topic at hand, I actually hope they take four years to really build a new foundation for Forza, but there's a near-zero chance they take five years, and they could absolutely make a new next-gen game in three.
Even games like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed take 3 years per game these days, with the increased asset fidelity and scope I expect the dev cycles to further increase next gen, and especially in the age of GaaS having a new FM every 2 years with only marginal increases in content doesn't make sense anymore. Of course this means we could see a FM game at launch but it will be barebones and will be updated throughout the generation. But then again it will most likely launch on Steam anyway and modders will improve it instead of T10, so that's all good.

Even games like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed take 3 years per game these days, with the increased asset fidelity and scope I expect the dev cycles to further increase next gen, and especially in the age of GaaS having a new FM every 2 years with only marginal increases in content doesn't make sense anymore. Of course this means we could see a FM game at launch but it will be barebones and will be updated throughout the generation. But then again it will most likely launch on Steam anyway and modders will improve it instead of T10, so that's all good.

Call of Duty and AC have both released new games every year, with the exception of AC's one year gap after Syndicate, because sales of that game tanked due to the residual effects from the negative reception of Unity. So they took an extra year, made AC Origins, and then put out Odyssey a year later. Call of Duty has a three year dev cycle, because they have three studios cranking out those games now, after Infinity War got shredded by losing a huge chunk of their staff to Respawn.

"with the increased asset fidelity and scope I expect the dev cycles to further increase next gen"

I don't think that's a sure thing at all. For one, development tools have progressed along with technology. For two, most game assets are already made at high fidelity, and then compressed down or simplified as required.

Turn 10 probably already have high fidelity scans, or even some finished models, of most of their cars. That'll still likely require another pass over those assets to increase level of detail, but it's not beginning from scratch. They also aren't going to need to go out and re-scan track data

The first game in a new generation of a series like this, is always more threadbare unless you take extra time, because you do have to rebuild some assets. I suspect that is why they are choosing now to take extra time for Forza 8, coinciding with a new console generation - to make sure they don't have a repeat of FM5. But even then - FM5 was made in a TWO year cycle. Turn 10 can create a lot in a three or four year cycle.

Back